Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Imagine dedicating your life to playing Mario levels created by idiots like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

'screencaps 911 Maker Points'

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

'screencaps 911 Maker Points'

i should have taken one when i had 666 :devil:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Control Volume posted:

The person in the most cleared courses leaderboard has cleared 7835 courses, or 650 courses a day

*moving beads on an abacus*

Assuming no sleep, eating or breaks of any kind, that's an average of 2.2 minutes per course.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

I don’t really understand the point of uploading a level unless you’re planning on sharing it outside of the game’s listings themselves. Discovery fuckin sucks for new, non-Top40 stuff.

Ya, it doesn't favor difficult stages so much. In fact, if your stage is hard and people fail a couple times, it doesn't favor you on the feed at all, which is already quite a small window as is

I'm sure you could game the system with bite-sized fast stages, sometimes I am relieved to play these myself, but I like making hard stages

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Difficulty is the least of our problems.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sitting at 2 million

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1148686483449999360?s=19

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Spellman posted:

Ya, it doesn't favor difficult stages so much. In fact, if your stage is hard and people fail a couple times, it doesn't favor you on the feed at all, which is already quite a small window as is

I'm sure you could game the system with bite-sized fast stages, sometimes I am relieved to play these myself, but I like making hard stages

At this point there needs to be a few more "We'll serve you up something," game modes that favor more difficult stages. The current endless mode can quickly turn into a nightmare on expert level even if you can play forever on normal (though I suspect they've tweaked this). A few challenge modes like giving points for clearing a stage below a certain threshhold of deaths (which varies from level to level based on previous player's behavior) or giving players a choice of levels and giving them more points for clearing the more difficult stage would help push people toward a bit more challenge.

I am sincerely wondering what signal to noise ratio is there.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

NofrikinfuN posted:

*moving beads on an abacus*

Assuming no sleep, eating or breaks of any kind, that's an average of 2.2 minutes per course.

I mean I got a level in easy endless where you just had to walk a couple steps to the flag

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The Lobster posted:

I'm kind of amazed how many likes Wario's Logging Company is getting. It's staying pretty solid at a 1:2 like:play ratio so far. Basically everybody who beats it likes it. I don't know if that's because it's mostly goons who have beaten it so far or what but I'm also getting all sort of positive comments too, faster than I have even on my so far most popular course. I uploaded it last night and I already have five comments. I'm feeling pretty good.

I hope that you enjoyed my drawing!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Storm Warning - Culka
Good classic level, only thing that I thought was a little weird was the vine in the first part. For a moment thought I missed a pipe I had to go down or something. Boss arena at the end was nicely put together too. It's a level with a good style.

Engineer Emergency - Random Stranger
Cute idea for a stage but the constant "plonk" noise was driving me crazy the entire time. Also the key felt a bit silly. I figured the coins were required because they were all out in the open next to the parade so finding out they were optional was surprising.
I really liked it though. It took me a few times to stop stomping the first beetle poor guy.

Castle All Star - Kazil
Kinda boring and there wasn't really anything to it after the first jump killed me like 5 times. I couldn't give this one a like, sorry man. If you want to make a avoid the star level try to make it more interesting than just spin jumping across a line of thwomps into randomly placed enemy spam.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

I mean I got a level in easy endless where you just had to walk a couple steps to the flag

lol I must be the only idiot that can get stuck on trying to beat a level for fourteen minutes :sweatdrop:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Engineer Emergency - Random Stranger
Cute idea for a stage but the constant "plonk" noise was driving me crazy the entire time. Also the key felt a bit silly. I figured the coins were required because they were all out in the open next to the parade so finding out they were optional was surprising.
I really liked it though. It took me a few times to stop stomping the first beetle poor guy.

The "plonk" is supposed to be the train sound though MM2 desperately needs a way to shift the noteblocks up a few octaves so things sound right; of course, if you found it annoying then I'll have to take that into account. And I was using the red coins as a signal that players would have to do something in a moment. So, yeah, a bit silly but I wanted to make sure people were going in the right direction since most people would be playing at the front of the screen and only have a couple of seconds to open the path.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Anybody else have a bunch of like, quarter finished courses hanging out in your saved files cuz you can't figure out how to finish the course but it's too short as is?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Random Stranger posted:

The "plonk" is supposed to be the train sound though MM2 desperately needs a way to shift the noteblocks up a few octaves so things sound right; of course, if you found it annoying then I'll have to take that into account. And I was using the red coins as a signal that players would have to do something in a moment. So, yeah, a bit silly but I wanted to make sure people were going in the right direction since most people would be playing at the front of the screen and only have a couple of seconds to open the path.

Yeah they did a good job at guiding me, and I figured the noise was supposed to be them marching or something :v:. It's just after 2-3 attempts and me messing up it started to get grating .

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

NofrikinfuN posted:

i should have taken one when i had 666 :devil:

https://twitter.com/twobeans/status/1146965384580354048

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Just put together my first effort level after doing a couple quick ones to figure things out. I'd love some feedback.

J2N-4T3-7VF

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

At this point there needs to be a few more "We'll serve you up something," game modes that favor more difficult stages. The current endless mode can quickly turn into a nightmare on expert level even if you can play forever on normal (though I suspect they've tweaked this).

They need to give makers credit for playing other's stages⁠—if you're playing a bunch of people's stages, yours should be shuffled into some random challenge mode. I bet it would be popular

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Plebian Parasite posted:

Anybody else have a bunch of like, quarter finished courses hanging out in your saved files cuz you can't figure out how to finish the course but it's too short as is?

I get through about one mechanic I find interesting and my brain reboots and suddenly I've gotten to 100 levels on easy and then my battery is dying. I've only finished two levels.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

maybe all the unfinished levels could be combined into a haunted course graveyard

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Plebian Parasite posted:

People love short courses, just upload them.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I have two levels up, but like 5 more in various states of completion. I'll probably only ever finish like two of them before scrapping the others or pulling the idea into a different level.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I have a 25% finished course sitting at home that I've been chomping at the bit to finish while waiting for work to be over.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Made a course with the 3D World car finally.

Coaster Under Construction

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Toebone posted:

Just put together my first effort level after doing a couple quick ones to figure things out. I'd love some feedback.

J2N-4T3-7VF

So I spotted a few problems here. The moving see-saw, for example, gets into motion as soon as it's onscreen which is how tracks work. The problem is that the player might be dodging projectiles at that point instead of running to get on the platform and as a result miss their ride. Then it's waiting thirty seconds for it to come back to get on it again. The on/off block is a good solution to this since you can trap a moving platform in a small area, then switch it to the full path when the player is ready. It's not the only option for controlling the timing; it's just one of the easiest to implement.

And then there was the default length, five block width snake platform. With five blocks the geometry is a problem as making a turn makes 40% of the platform go away instantly.

The checkpoint flag is not in a safe area. A slight movement on the player's part as the screen loads in and they've missed their ride. Not to mention starting out under fire from the magikoopa. It's a good idea to give players several seconds of safety and a bit of room at the checkpoint.

But keep refining things, trying things out, and letting people see them. That's the path to improvement.

Macaluso posted:

Made a course with the 3D World car finally.

Coaster Under Construction

Cool secret room and the boom booms at the end were pretty neat. But man, that car...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 9, 2019

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I think I remember them tweeting out the Wii U's one million and it took them almost a month or something but I could be remembering incorrectly.

Wendell posted:

I hope that you enjoyed my drawing!

I've gotten a couple of drawings om that level and they are all pure and good. :3:

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Random Stranger posted:

So I spotted a few problems here. The moving see-saw, for example, gets into motion as soon as it's onscreen which is how tracks work. The problem is that the player might be dodging projectiles at that point instead of running to get on the platform and as a result miss their ride. Then it's waiting thirty seconds for it to come back to get on it again. The on/off block is a good solution to this since you can trap a moving platform in a small area, then switch it to the full path when the player is ready. It's not the only option for controlling the timing; it's just one of the easiest to implement.

And then there was the default length, five block width snake platform. With five blocks the geometry is a problem as making a turn makes 40% of the platform go away instantly.

The checkpoint flag is not in a safe area. A slight movement on the player's part as the screen loads in and they've missed their ride. Not to mention starting out under fire from the magikoopa. It's a good idea to give players several seconds of safety and a bit of room at the checkpoint.

But keep refining things, trying things out, and letting people see them. That's the path to improvement.

Cool secret room and the boom booms at the end were pretty neat. But man, that car...

Thanks! I'll consider all this for version 2.0

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Inside Job - D6F-5XK-2RF
Set off bombs in the basement and get out before the tower collapses. You'll never forget this course!

A fast vertical autoscroller where I made it feel like all hell is breaking loose as everything falls apart around you. Lots of exploding blocks offscreen, falling saws, big thwomps to shake the screen, and crashing sound effects. There's even a boss fight at the end - throw the beetle shells into the springs in the corner to hit the on/off switches and drop the munchers on the Hammer Bros.

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 9, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Lobster posted:

I think I remember them tweeting out the Wii U's one million and it took them almost a month or something but I could be remembering incorrectly.

I've gotten a couple of drawings om that level and they are all pure and good. :3:

Looks like they announced 2.2 million levels made on September 30 2015, with the game having come out September 11.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...=european-daily

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Looks like they announced 2.2 million levels made on September 30 2015, with the game having come out September 11.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...=european-daily

Fair enough, that's only a bit slower then! I wonder why it feels so much more frantic these days?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

internet celebrity posted:

Inside Job - D6F-5XK-2RF
Set off bombs in the basement and get out before the tower collapses. You'll never forget this course!

A fast vertical autoscroller where I made it feel like all hell is breaking loose as everything falls apart around you. Lots of exploding blocks offscreen, falling saws, big thwomps to shake the screen, and crashing sound effects. There's even a boss fight at the end - throw the beetle shells into the springs in the corner to hit the on/off switches and drop the munchers on the Hammer Bros.

So I beat your level. I died 32 times. I like the fast paced nature of the auto scroller, however a few things: There's just too much poo poo happening on screen. It's incredibly distracting. I get what you were going for there, but there were a couple of times I just lost track of Mario. There are a couple sections where a buzzsaw can hit you from above without you realizing it's there, especially if you outspeed the level a little bit. Springs are kind of finicky, I personally would've just put in another pair of koopas to jump on there. I think if there wasn't so much happening on screen it would be better, even at the expensive of your theme. Also weirdly my eyes kind of bugged out when finally getting to the checkpoint after the scrolling in the same way where your eyes keep wanting to move in a direction when spinning in a circle a bunch. That was weird.

I will say the biggest problem in your stage is the hammer bros fight. You can softlock yourself when throwing the shell up into the top area. If you don't position it right, the shell will just land right in front of the spring and not move, and no more shells will spawn after that. Luckily you can just easily kill yourself and start over but I did that at least 2 times before carefully making sure I was hugging the wall to hit the springs.

Not terrible. Take this advice into the next autoscroller my child

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

The Lobster posted:

I'm kind of amazed how many likes Wario's Logging Company is getting. It's staying pretty solid at a 1:2 like:play ratio so far. Basically everybody who beats it likes it. I don't know if that's because it's mostly goons who have beaten it so far or what but I'm also getting all sort of positive comments too, faster than I have even on my so far most popular course. I uploaded it last night and I already have five comments. I'm feeling pretty good.

It is my favorite Mario Maker 2 level course thus far.

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 9, 2019

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Lastdancer posted:

It is my favorite Mario Maker 2 level course thus far.

:3:

Aw, shucks.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Been feeling a little uncreative as of late, so here's a simple little 3D World stroll.

Koopin' Donuts
XDL-694-CBG

Sometimes you just need to make a fun little stage to work out the cobwebs, you know?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Macaluso posted:

So I beat your level. I died 32 times. I like the fast paced nature of the auto scroller, however a few things: There's just too much poo poo happening on screen. It's incredibly distracting. I get what you were going for there, but there were a couple of times I just lost track of Mario. There are a couple sections where a buzzsaw can hit you from above without you realizing it's there, especially if you outspeed the level a little bit. Springs are kind of finicky, I personally would've just put in another pair of koopas to jump on there. I think if there wasn't so much happening on screen it would be better, even at the expensive of your theme. Also weirdly my eyes kind of bugged out when finally getting to the checkpoint after the scrolling in the same way where your eyes keep wanting to move in a direction when spinning in a circle a bunch. That was weird.

I will say the biggest problem in your stage is the hammer bros fight. You can softlock yourself when throwing the shell up into the top area. If you don't position it right, the shell will just land right in front of the spring and not move, and no more shells will spawn after that. Luckily you can just easily kill yourself and start over but I did that at least 2 times before carefully making sure I was hugging the wall to hit the springs.

Not terrible. Take this advice into the next autoscroller my child

Oh darn, sorry about the soft lock. I spent a lot of time trying to put that boss fight together and there was always one little thing that didn't work and I ended up having to change it a bunch of times. I guess I could have just put one more spike up there so you can only throw it into the spring. Thanks for playing and reviewing though!

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!
-The Wizard's Chamber-
VMQ-QT7-CLF

Deep inside an underground bunker sits a terrible wizard bent on the destruction of the Mushroom Kingdom. Along with his fearsome minion "Jerry", 'The Wizard' is ready for a fight. Unfortunately, Jerry needs to go out often so the wizard built some alternate passages. Fight 'The Wizard', or not! It really doesn't matter!

El Diablo Bob O fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 9, 2019

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Bulls vs. Blazers and the NBA Playoffs

QHC-9RL-24G

Go through the NBA training camp before facing off with your rivals at the big game!

It’s a basketball course. Please tell me if it’s too obtuse in any way, I tried to make it fairly easy!

That screenshot is a bunny doing a sick layup. I don’t expect everyone to understand my art.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I just remembered that I was a little bummed out upon finding out that you can't create courses to rescue mushroom kingdom citizens like you can rescue the builders in the Story Mode. Holding an object to the finish is kind of a workaround but I liked how you could gather up to 5 of them and they'd do the bubble thing if they got hit until they return to their starting spot.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I could definitely see them patching in the toads/the stone at some point

kind of weird to be excited about a rock but it seems like an item with lots of potential

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

I picked this up after not playing the first one and I'm struggling to have fun in endless on any difficulty. Really enjoyed playing through story mode but the quality of random peoples levels are awful. I wish there was like a weekly category of curated content by nintendo or something.