Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

congressmen that get out and become lobbyists are only powerful because old rear end congressmen that are still in play by the good ol' boy rules. If Nancy Pelosi retired and became a lobbyist I don't see speaker of the house AOC returning her phone calls.

The system keeps perpetuating because the congressmen become so entrenched in DC and everything is done through personal connections.

We've seen at the state house level what happens - after your 2 terms you become a lobbyist and all the new guys that have no idea how to run the legislature or the nitty gritty of lawmaking come and ask for your help to do it.

You do not need to repeat the same thing at the federal level to know what will happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Hot Karl Marx posted:

So at what point is Pelosi complicit with all this poo poo cause she won't challenge trump on all these abuses?

A year and a half ago atleast. Back then even if the republicans got a bump from having to line up behind their guy ithe bump would have died by 2020 election time. Instead she did wait and see until she could say well if we do it now it would only help them. Not that she knows whos in office because she was talking about the newly elected president bush in 2016/2017

Stravag fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 9, 2019

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Invite all the lobbyists to a fancy dinner party and burn the building to the ground around them.

Ban lobbyists.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Invite all the lobbyists to a fancy dinner party and burn the building to the ground around them.

Ban lobbyists.

Red wedding but for lobbyists? Neat

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Ban lobbyists.

What is encouraging everyone to call up our congressmen and senators to unfuck up the SBP offset?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The representative part of representative democracy?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

hobbesmaster posted:

What is encouraging everyone to call up our congressmen and senators to unfuck up the SBP offset?

Calling up from home in butt gently caress utah to bitch about how they should support a bill isn't lobbying. You aren't being paid to do it, and by lobbyists, I mean the assclowns making 6-7 figgies to occasionally have brunch with some of their old buddies and/or literally write a bill/policy (like ALEC does).

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

hobbesmaster posted:

That part of me that tries to help better the world that I live in?

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
congress should be structured like the shirley jackson short story “the lottery”. constituents vote for a representative, who at the end of their term(s) is stoned to death. this solves the lobbying problem and ensures the community’s continued well being.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

That part of me that tries to help better the world that I live in?

Setting a building full of lobbyists on fire would do a lot of good for the world.

I wonder if the democrats found anyone to run in Wyoming. Might need to change my name to Fah Que and move north.

Fah Que for congress.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Setting a building full of lobbyists on fire would do a lot of good for the world.

I wonder if the democrats found anyone to run in Wyoming. Might need to change my name to Fah Que and move north.

Fah Que for congress.

Dies Noughts.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I really don't see how you can restrict lobbyists to that degree without running afoul of the first amendment?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Possinly amounts paid legislation? Dont most of their activities consist of nudge nudge wink "bribery" instead of outright bribery

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
lobbyists should be nudge nudged off a cliff

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

So shoukd politicians every 25 years but sadly

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

We've seen at the state house level what happens - after your 2 terms you become a lobbyist and all the new guys that have no idea how to run the legislature or the nitty gritty of lawmaking come and ask for your help to do it.

You do not need to repeat the same thing at the federal level to know what will happen.

No, according to this study the results vary depending on the type of legisature:

"The First Lesson: Results Vary
The first lesson to heed when studying term limits is that it is very difficult to generalize across states about their effects. What happens in Arkansas, a smaller population state with a citizen legislature, does not necessarily happen in Ohio, a large population state with a highly professionalized legislature. Results vary according to the type of limits too— states with shorter limits, such as Michigan’s lifetime limit of six years in the House and eight in the Senate, are likely to see more dramatic effects than states with more generous limits, like Arizona’s limit of no more than eight consecutive years per chamber. What follows is a round-up of results of the JPTL to date."

http://www.csg.org/knowledgecenter/docs/BOS2005-LegislativeTermLimits.pdf

The idea that people should just vote out the incumbent if they don't like them is the same kind of just-world/rational actor theory that ignores well understood human behavior. It falls into the same line of thinking that results in people thinking that just telling people "just don't have sex" is a realistic solution to the problem of unwanted pregnancy.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/TonyBertuca/status/1148673934356877313

https://twitter.com/TonyBertuca/status/1148675664628932609

Hope this gets resolved before the summer recess

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
even the military grifters just want out and to collect their MIC paycheck

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Erik, son of Erik might have the hottest take of 2019

https://twitter.com/EWErickson/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

We should abolish the executive and the senate, at least triple the size of the House, switch to mixed member districts and proportional representation. Then make it moderately easy to do snap/recall elections. If you can convince half the country to do something, it should be relatively straightforward, but if people aren't doing what the majority of the country wants, it should be relatively easy to kick the bums out.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Or just do what Switzerland does and not officially have a capital or a true head of the government. Switzerland: a country so neutral if doesn't even make anyone officially in charge.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Erik, son of Erik might have the hottest take of 2019

https://twitter.com/EWErickson/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Who's this chode

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Who's this chode

Erick, son of Erick, is a right wing op-ed chode who got upset on having to walk 1/3 mile home for a radio interview that was canceled.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Nick Soapdish posted:

Erick, son of Erick, is a right wing op-ed chode who got upset on having to walk 1/3 mile home for a radio interview that was canceled.

He didn't just get upset, he got apoplectic because he got a blister from that grueling walk

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

psydude posted:

Or just do what Switzerland does and not officially have a capital or a true head of the government. Switzerland: a country so neutral if doesn't even make anyone officially in charge.

https://youtu.be/JY6RyRkl9uo

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/mjcontrera/status/1148629047229976579

They really need to work on their penis drawing game

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
The House is working on their version of the NDAA, HR 2500.

Please contact your Congressfuckers and ask them to support Amendment 549 to the NDAA. That's the SBP-DIC offset amendment.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bird food bathtub posted:

Well if this is to be believed then things just took a turn into Crazyville.

https://mobile.twitter.com/neal_katyal/status/1148410113394429954

Whoopsie.

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1148704975389888514?s=19

https://twitter.com/ssamcham/status/1148705384531730433?s=19

Turns out being stupid and transparent makes you look stupidly transparent to the Federal judge overseeing the case. Shumate and LaCour got released because Shumate isn't with the DOJ and LaCour changed departments. So lol, Donnie's potentially stuck with that team.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 9, 2019

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nick Soapdish posted:

quote:

Later, he would explain himself this way: “I never really understood the symbol of the swastika. I knew it was wrong to plaster it somewhere. I didn’t learn exactly what [the Nazis] were doing to the Jews until I went to the Holocaust Museum. I never learned that they were mutilated. I knew that they were, like, burned. But I never learned that they had experiments done on them, were injected with diseases. The school didn’t include that. They just included the burning and the train cars.”

His understanding of the KKK was limited, too, he said. “Some people think it’s just a word, or a symbol or three letters put together. . . . But they were lynching people, hurting people for no good reason.”

Now, he said, he knows. But he still doesn’t believe his actions that night make him a bigot.

“I spray paint one racist thing and, suddenly, I become a racist?"

:goonsay:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
they couldnt leave it just at a bunch of dicks, they just had to make it racist

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

white people dot txt

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

SimonCat posted:

The idea that people should just vote out the incumbent if they don't like them is the same kind of just-world/rational actor theory that ignores well understood human behavior. It falls into the same line of thinking that results in people thinking that just telling people "just don't have sex" is a realistic solution to the problem of unwanted pregnancy.

Yeah, incumbents have a huge advantage. A lot of entrenched fucks don't even face challengers.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Nick Soapdish posted:

Get the gently caress outta here, they got weekend jail?! I didn't know such a thing existed. Like all he's gonna do is go out on the town on Tuesday and Wednesday. gently caress he did this crime on a Thursday!!! How's weekend jail that he commutes to in his car supposed to do anything for anybody!

Man, I wanna go to the Hollocaust museum now. Cuz it is history, not a tool to alleviate punishment. God drat I didn't know what a slap on the wrist looked like till I saw this poo poo.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I've never been to the holocaust museum, but seeing the memorial in Germany and visiting a concentration camp was incredibly haunting.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I went to the Holocaust museum. The tour guide asked us to list examples of genocide. They were a little salty when I brought up the genocide of Palestinians by Israel.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

Get the gently caress outta here, they got weekend jail?! I didn't know such a thing existed. Like all he's gonna do is go out on the town on Tuesday and Wednesday. gently caress he did this crime on a Thursday!!! How's weekend jail that he commutes to in his car supposed to do anything for anybody!

Man, I wanna go to the Hollocaust museum now. Cuz it is history, not a tool to alleviate punishment. God drat I didn't know what a slap on the wrist looked like till I saw this poo poo.

Vandalism would normally be a fine and probation or a suspended sentence so “weekend jail” is probably pretty harsh here?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

Weekend jail is pretty common in MD for serious misdemeanors. A lot of repeat DUI offenders get it, although they typically don't get to drive themselves like this guy.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Chichevache posted:

I went to the Holocaust museum. The tour guide asked us to list examples of genocide. They were a little salty when I brought up the genocide of Palestinians by Israel.

Yeah they don't like it when you bring up Palestinians, Serbians, Native Americans, or Tibetans.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Now you can add Uyghurs to the list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
And Canadian First Nations (1610 - ongoing)