Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Bogart posted:

Everything to do with the World and Gaia / Alaya, Other Side of the World, Counter Force, yadda yadda, is confusing.

I'd love a video explaining it, but I imagine that would be more of a college course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Alard posted:

Probably best to not think too hard when they contradict themselves.

No they don't contradict themselves.

The layer of reality that every human lives on requires the Supernatural to possess Mystery to function. As few people as possible need to know how it works, just that it does. As more people learn about reality and how it all comes together it grows weaker.

Rhongomyniad is no exception to this rule. However, if Rhongomyniad's Mystery grows so little it stops functioning properly that means that a different layer of reality with its own rules will come back up.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

J.A.B.C. posted:

Absolutely this. Holmes is, in this mode, the absolute soul of a detective. To the point where his Noble Phantasm can reveal the solution to ANY problem, even impossibly unsolvable dilemmas. And as Moriarty points out at the end of the quest, Holmes is too pernicious a detective to leave anything undiscovered. He would, if allowed, solve every problem in existence.

So, the World itself instead turned him from a detective to a judge to keep him from discovering those mysteries that must be kept secret. Which vexes him to no end, as he plainly states. As a ruler, he must arbitrate rather than discover, forcing him into a role that, technically, he can fulfill.

Also, according to supplementary material, Holmes' baritsu is on the level of an NP, given that his works created a decently popular worldwide art. Which is crazy to think about.

Thank you for this. All I got was that Holmes knows all the secrets from the Age of Gods, and everything else went over my head.

Maybe I should finally learn what “pernicious” means...

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Also, the Grail only incarnates Saints as Rulers, but Chaldea's summoning system doesn't use the Grail.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Bogart posted:

Also, the Grail only incarnates Saints as Rulers, but Chaldea's summoning system doesn't use the Grail.

Isn't the rule for being a Ruler (heh), that you have to have no desire to obtain the Grail AND feel completely impartial towards those who wish to obtain it? That usually means saints, due to the whole "above earthly desires" thing they have going on, but it leaves enough of space for someone like FGO Holmes to qualify.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

You know unless your Amakusa in Apo because that was real stupid and didn't make sense. Least the Christmas event redeemed him a bit in my eyes.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Amakusa is explicitly because of the Einzberns cheating him onto a Ruler container and because the Throne of Heroes has absolutely terrible QA he was registered as a valid Ruler from then on.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Makes sense, how many servants have we cheated into the throne by now? :v:

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

You’re making it sound like it’s really easy to hack the Throne of Heroes

someone please add Uncle Sam and the Statue of Liberty for me

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
al capone servant WHEN

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Pureauthor posted:

Amakusa is explicitly because of the Einzberns cheating him onto a Ruler container and because the Throne of Heroes has absolutely terrible QA he was registered as a valid Ruler from then on.

loving Einzberns, always ruining grail wars somehow. It's not like the Heaven's Feel ritual needs any help to go pear shaped.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Ned Kelly would make for a hell of an avenger.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Bogart posted:

Everything to do with the World and Gaia / Alaya, Other Side of the World, Counter Force, yadda yadda, is confusing.

This is in keeping with the broader Nasuverse canon, in which most explanations for what is going on are some combination of confusing, nonsensical, and/or stupid.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Wait so the magic lance is confirmed to be what ended the age of gods and not reason and disbelief?

Hmm... so that means that humanity can eradicate so much mystery and eliminate so much magic that they make super magic and gods come back.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

No, if I remember correctly, as far as is currently known in the English storyline, the instigating moment for the end of the Age of Gods was Gilgamesh going all "no you shut the gently caress up dad" on the Babylonian pantheon and leaning into his human side, its just that it wasn't an immediate process.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Three were three different events that contributed to the end of the Age of Gods. One of them (the second One) was Gilgamesh siding with humans, yes.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Pulled Da Vinci-chan in the GSSR, presumably to continue my streak of pulling every offensive Caster in the game. Also threw 30 SQ at Holmes and ended up with NP4 Rhyme. Sometimes an assassin-killing family is an inventor, a Buddhist monk, and a book.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Saigyouji posted:

Pulled Da Vinci-chan in the GSSR, presumably to continue my streak of pulling every offensive Caster in the game. Also threw 30 SQ at Holmes and ended up with NP4 Rhyme. Sometimes an assassin-killing family is an inventor, a Buddhist monk, and a book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jSZO37QV4E

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Bogart posted:

It's literally the background of Mage: the Ascension.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

YggdrasilTM posted:

Fate is basically the best World of Darkness property White Wolf never made.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Aurora posted:

even if you want to rehash the astolfo and deon discourse enkidu is solidly they

Oddly, though, Kingu seemed to be solidly "he". Babylonia was pretty consistent about using "they" for Enkidu but the one reborn as Kingu seemed to mostly use "he". I got the impression the Chaldea servant is the original Enkidu though.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 9, 2019

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Oddly, though, Kingu seemed to be solidly "he". Babylonia was pretty consistent about using "they" for Enkidu but the one reborn as Kingu seemed to mostly use "he". I got the impression the Chaldea servant is the original Enkidu though.

Enkidu initially debuted in Fate/Strange Fake and really was just Enkidu, and this is who you summon in the gacha. Kingu is a separate Babylonian deity and Kingu-as-Enkidu is a Grand Order original.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Enkidu's interlude goes into more detail on Kingu, but the metaphor used is same hardware, different software.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

YggdrasilTM posted:

Are you suggesting that Rate Up is part of The Lie?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Roger Explosion posted:

Ned Kelly would make for a hell of an avenger.

I kinda reflexively flinch whenever people say "[fan servant] would be an Avenger" but I will admit that Ned's got a pretty good claim to the title. Also, It'd probably be pretty mechanically interesting; I have to assume that a Ned Kelly servant would be a very survival-oriented Servant with Invulnerability/Defense Buffs/Damage Cut/Guts as part of his kit, toss a Target Focus/taunt on there and he's got a unique synergy with the Avenger class in that he'll receive neutral damage from most enemies and recieve bonus NP charge from being attacked, plus magical energy restoration filling his NP bar. You could probably make a sort of selfish Mashu or George/d'Eon that way.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Florian Geyer would be a pretty fun servant, imo, he led the German peasants revolt against the church and nobility and the phrase "no gods no masters" probably originated as a loose translation of the motto he had carved into his sword, "neither cross nor crown"

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Nikiphoros Phokas, known as "The Hammer" to his enemies, "The Avenger of Rome" to his friends, and "The Pale Death of the Saracens" to history.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Captain America

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I'm still kinda sad that they've never expanded on the Avenger Marie Alter idea from her interludes.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Rhongomyniad is a "pin" on the current texture of the world one of many (IIRC seven?). Removing one is not immediately dangerous, but it opens the way for somebody to insert their metaphorical crowbar into the metaphorical gap and pry it open once again.

J.A.B.C. posted:

Also, according to supplementary material, Holmes' baritsu is on the level of an NP, given that his works created a decently popular worldwide art. Which is crazy to think about.
To clarify, his baritsu can, under specific yet undisclosed circumstances, perform a special move on the level of an NP.

quote:

Learned an Oriental martial arts that is extremely real combat-oriented.
Other than employing striking techniques that combine this skill with boxing, Sherlock Holmes also have counters and grappling throws as his forte.
If the conditions are right, he can even employ a special move that is in par with the release of True Name of a Noble Phantasm, but...

Billzasilver posted:

You’re making it sound like it’s really easy to hack the Throne of Heroes

someone please add Uncle Sam and the Statue of Liberty for me
It's very easy to add new information to the Throne, humanity does it all the time! It's what it's meant to do.
It is, however, very hard to delete information from the throne. Or edit it. Or access information outside what's allowed to your time/worldline.

To create a new HS, in theory all you'd need is to create a servant-level saint graph, stuff it with a soul, bind it to some grail war system and let it die so the grail war system picks it up and shunts it back to the throne. Sometimes not even that.
Whether or not that HS would be accessible outside the wibbly wobbly circumstances of Chaldea is a much trickier question.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 9, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Crasical posted:

I kinda reflexively flinch whenever people say "[fan servant] would be an Avenger" but I will admit that Ned's got a pretty good claim to the title. Also, It'd probably be pretty mechanically interesting; I have to assume that a Ned Kelly servant would be a very survival-oriented Servant with Invulnerability/Defense Buffs/Damage Cut/Guts as part of his kit, toss a Target Focus/taunt on there and he's got a unique synergy with the Avenger class in that he'll receive neutral damage from most enemies and recieve bonus NP charge from being attacked, plus magical energy restoration filling his NP bar. You could probably make a sort of selfish Mashu or George/d'Eon that way.

It'd have to be Armour Of The Kelly Gang as an NP.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Going by the Dollop episode on him, Ned Kelly also qualifies as an Avenger by being extremely funny.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Kyte posted:

Learned an Oriental martial arts that is extremely real combat-oriented.
Other than employing striking techniques that combine this skill with boxing, Sherlock Holmes also have counters and grappling throws as his forte.
If the conditions are right, he can even employ a special move that is in par with the release of True Name of a Noble Phantasm, but...

The conditions are 'he is near a cliff with a waterfall' and it kills him to use it. STELLA.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Crasical posted:

The conditions are 'he is near a cliff with a waterfall' and it kills him to use it. STELLA.

No surprise he doesn't even talk about it!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Crasical posted:

It looks like he dies, but actually he just gets sent to the backline and shows up again later

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Next Halloween Event: Cthulhuland! With the mascot Innsmouth-kun!

But Hokusai already covered Cthulhu and Deep Ones.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Casters Johnny Appleseed and Morgan La Fey

Berserker John Henry

Archer William Tell

Ruler Fred Rogers

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

the_steve posted:

Casters Johnny Appleseed and Morgan La Fey