Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Even back in the early 90s, when MD-80s weren't all that old, Alitalia had a way of making them *feel* old. I also vividly remember an instance where our pilots (on a flight from Catania to Fumicino) got into a disagreement and owing to the fact that they left the cockpit door open (not uncommon), we were able to see them gesturing stereotypically at one another while they argued about seniority (my Italian wasn't that great, but I knew numbers well enough, the word 'hours,' and several of the mid-tier curse words they were using).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Devil’s Advocate here. The Italians never practiced chattel slavery on Africans. There’s no history of black slavery and racial injustice in their culture. Why would they care?

thought this was going to be another "united sucks" conversation, only different because it mentions Alitalia.

then you drop this gem of a turd

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Euros in general don’t understand why blackface is bad

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Goddamn wait till the Dutch get fired up.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TTerrible posted:

Goddamn wait till the Dutch get fired up.

Delta can invite the European sky team airlines to ATL for a little chat.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Please identify this weird biplane that flew over me in Boulder.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Glider tug that may have been a Super Cub once upon a time?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Please identify this weird biplane that flew over me in Boulder.

Eagle DW.1?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

joat mon posted:

Eagle DW.1?

Wings and tail are the right shape. Never knew they existed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I didn't know about the Eagle DW-1 either, but I am somewhat proud that I correctly figured it was a crop duster. Clearly designed for lots of low-speed lift and control, but a skinny single-person fuselage -- says ag plane to me

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It was towing a sign behind it too.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Probably DRAG 'n' FLY Banners then.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
This may be of interest.

Last year, the guys at Hush-Kit held a
fighter design contest

Now, there's a new contest!

Hush-Kit posted:

Choose one of the following design briefs:

Requirement 560

Design a fighter aircraft using only technology available in 1970. The aircraft must have a range of at least 400 nautical miles. It must have a minimum top speed over Mach 1.8. It should carry at least one cannon and four air-to-air missiles. The type should have a good dogfighting performance.

Requirement 570

Design a fighter-bomber aircraft using only technology available in 2019. The aircraft must have a range of at least 400 nautical miles. It must have a minimum top speed over Mach 1.6. It should carry at least one cannon and four air-to-air missiles/and/or 7000kg of munitions.. The type should be relatively cheap to build, easy to maintain, and a short development period.

Requirement 680

Design a supersonic civil passenger aircraft using only technology available in 2019. Minimum top speed 1000mph. Range 2500 miles. 100 passengers plus reasonable baggage. Extra points awarded for economy of operation and lower noise levels.

Requirement 750

Design a close support aircraft using only technology available in 1985. Minimum top speed 400mph. Must capable of carrying at least 5000kg of munitions and carry internal gun. Must be low-cost, highly resistant to ground-fire and have minimal ground support requirements. STOL or rough-field capability a plus.

Requirement 760

Design a fighter aircraft using only technology available in 1938. The aircraft must be a capable dogfighter. Armament is to be four cannon. Aircraft must have a top speed higher than 380mph, be easy to repair and maintain and offer a high level of battle damage resistance.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Quoting myself:

C.M. Kruger posted:

Speaking of flying wings, those Japanese guys who made the glider from Nausicaa but jet powered haven't killed themselves yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUeV2Z72HfQ

They're now aiming to bring it to Oshkosh Airventure along with a couple other stops in Wisconsin and California this year. The crowd funding campaign is currently at 82% with 19 days left so it'll probably happen.
https://camp-fire.jp/projects/view/159122

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48916084

Yodelling and F-5s. Sounds like a good time.

Was in Oregon for a wedding over the weekend and stopped by the Evergreen Museum. It was a really good time and holy hell the Spruce Goose is bigger in person than you would think. Was impressed with the collection and even my girlfriend was entertained by the space portion of the exhibit.

They had veterans sitting by their respective planes sharing stories and giving presentations which made me wish I had more time to spend there.

First time I’ve seen an SR-71 up close too. Such a beautiful thing.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

First time I’ve seen an SR-71 up close too. Such a beautiful thing.

Truth. The one at the Udvar Hazy in Northern Virginia is the meeting point where tours start because you can say "blackbird" and even people who know nothing about planes will figure it out.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Truth. The one at the Udvar Hazy in Northern Virginia is the meeting point where tours start because you can say "blackbird" and even people who know nothing about planes will figure it out.

I don't care what anybody says, 367-80 is that facility's crown jewel

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

shame on an IGA posted:

I don't care what anybody says, 367-80 is that facility's crown jewel
A bold statement.

Incorrect, but bold.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

e.pilot posted:

A bold statement.

Incorrect, but bold.

Yeah, we all know it's the Lear Jet 23

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Psion posted:

Yeah, we all know it's the Lear Jet 23

That’s a weird autocorrect of Bob Hoover’s Twin Commander.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

e.pilot posted:

That’s a weird autocorrect of Bob Hoover’s Twin Commander.

I'm sorry I'm not seeing how that's relevant to the Aeronca C-2 and/or the Crosley Flea

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bacarruda posted:

Requirement 560 

Design a fighter aircraft using only technology available in 1970. The aircraft must have a range of at least 400 nautical miles. It must have a minimum top speed over Mach 1.8. It should carry at least one cannon and four air-to-air missiles. The type should have a good dogfighting performance. 

F15

Bacarruda posted:

Requirement 570 

Design a fighter-bomber aircraft using only technology available in 2019. The aircraft must have a range of at least 400 nautical miles. It must have a minimum top speed over Mach 1.6. It should carry at least one cannon and four air-to-air missiles/and/or 7000kg of munitions.. The type should be relatively cheap to build, easy to maintain, and a short development period. 

F15 with two P&W F119s

Bacarruda posted:

Requirement 680 

Design a supersonic civil passenger aircraft using only technology available in 2019. Minimum top speed 1000mph. Range 2500 miles. 100 passengers plus reasonable baggage. Extra points awarded for economy of operation and lower noise levels. 

B1A with P&W F135 engines. No accommodation for noise abatement considered :black101:

Bacarruda posted:

Requirement 750 

Design a close support aircraft using only technology available in 1985. Minimum top speed 400mph. Must capable of carrying at least 5000kg of munitions and carry internal gun. Must be low-cost, highly resistant to ground-fire and have minimal ground support requirements. STOL or rough-field capability a plus. 

Armored F15

Bacarruda posted:

Requirement 760 

Design a fighter aircraft using only technology available in 1938. The aircraft must be a capable dogfighter. Armament is to be four cannon. Aircraft must have a top speed higher than 380mph, be easy to repair and maintain and offer a high level of battle damage resistance. 

Wait 40 years and build an F15

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Potato Salad posted:

Wait 40 years and build an F15

The answer is P-38.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

MrYenko posted:

The answer is P-389.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I don’t think the P-39 really has the oomph to carry four cannon and still be a decent performer. Getting good performance with that kind of weapon load probably isn’t going to be possible with a single engine in 1938.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Weren't there early war 4 cannon hurricane variants?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Requirement 760

Design a fighter aircraft using only technology available in 1938. The aircraft must be a capable dogfighter. Armament is to be four cannon. Aircraft must have a top speed higher than 380mph, be easy to repair and maintain and offer a high level of battle damage resistance. 15,000 ft service ceiling.

Fixed for P-39

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

e.pilot posted:

A bold statement.

Incorrect, but bold.

Any statement that doesn’t have the hot-rod shuttle as the crown jewel is both bold and wrong. The shuttle is the biggest middle finger to aerodynamics, physics, rocket science, and best-practices in multiple branches of science and engineering that went unmentioned. It’s a monument to the egos of test pilots, only one of which earned the right to be that cocky (Joe Engle flew a re-entry by hand, starting somewhere around Mach 25 and landing it).

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

P-38 would also be my answer

If you want less famous... Westland Whirlwind? Needs a little more power/speed.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Isn't that just an F-15E?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

FuturePastNow posted:

P-38 would also be my answer

If you want less famous... Westland Whirlwind? Needs a little more power/speed.

You could probably get a Fokker G.1 to perform if you put bigger engines on it and if you cut some of the crew.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You could probably get a Fokker G.1 to perform if you put bigger engines on it and if you cut some of the crew.

:fap:

Molentik fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 9, 2019

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

Any statement that doesn’t have the hot-rod shuttle as the crown jewel is both bold and wrong. The shuttle is the biggest middle finger to aerodynamics, physics, rocket science, and best-practices in multiple branches of science and engineering that went unmentioned. It’s a monument to the egos of test pilots, only one of which earned the right to be that cocky (Joe Engle flew a re-entry by hand, starting somewhere around Mach 25 and landing it).

The space shuttle was basically technology from the future and had the maintenance requirements to prove it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That is pretty sexy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ApathyGifted posted:

Isn't that just an F-15E?

The F-15E is not an up-armored F-15. It's a structurally sturdier (for payload) two-seater redesigned primarily for air-to-ground missions, while the A-D models' motto was "Not a pound for air to ground."

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not mine (obviously) but crosspost from the failure thread:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Not mine (obviously) but crosspost from the failure thread:

I love how the spinner is just bouncing around in there like an ice cube in a blender.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I’ve always flown planes or helicopters where I could see the engine compartments or intakes. Many malfunctions or leaks you’ll get alerted too can be confirmed visually. I wonder what the airline pilot is thinking when his EICAS or whatever alerts. I wonder if he ever imagines “spinner knocking around like ice cube in a blender” levels of bad.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I like that it ruined the fan but actually seems to have left the turbine itself (mostly) intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

It was towing a sign behind it too.

In case you are still wondering, it was a hail damage sign / ad. I saw it over in Louisville too.