Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Warthur posted:

On the one hand, it feels like Stygian Fox has been bitten in the rear end slightly by Kickstarter deciding to actually apply the "don't start a new project when you haven't fulfilled your previous project" rule, which is so erratically applied that I can't remember the last time I saw it bite. (It faintly astonishes me that Onyx Path haven't been caught by it already, for instance.) On balance, though, I feel like the Kickstarter ecosystem would be much healthier if the rule were actually applied consistently across the board, rather than being selectively applied and/or entirely waived.
OPP probably dodges this because they've proven that they have a pipeline and stick to it. I don't think they've had a product get stuck in fulfillment hell or go past it's estimated deliver date(even when such a thing may have been warranted)

Zurui posted:

It's horribly vile but there's something oddly satisfying for me about imagining this guy slathering like a rabid dog over his keyboard about how the SJWs and [slurs] are terrible and uncreative and can't make anything good. He's screaming into the void begging for relevance, so much that he posted an update when he convinced someone not to buy something.

It's kind of amazing watching someone wrap their brain in knots using words like "Tranny" while talking about how the SJW's are the real transphobes because everyone is and the SJW's are so transphobic it underflowed like an unsigned float value.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
1) OPP's exalted 3rd edition kickstarter went ridiculously over deadline. Scion 2e was close to 18 months past delivery deadline. They're getting better at it, but they definitely have things that languish.

2) Can you like, spoiler out the slur there? Really didn't need to see that today.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

MollyMetroid posted:

1) OPP's exalted 3rd edition kickstarter went ridiculously over deadline. Scion 2e was close to 18 months past delivery deadline. They're getting better at it, but they definitely have things that languish.
Yeah, Wraith was very late too.

They've tightened up a lot by measures like insisting that people have a full text in place before launching Kickstarters, rather than the old way where the project leads had more leeway in terms of how they ran the Kickstarter and how much they needed to complete before the project went live.

Nonetheless, the rule is "No new projects whilst old projects are unfulfilled", not "no new projects unless you demonstrate that you have a good pipeline". If exceptions are going to be made to the rule, they should be made in a clear and transparent manner, based on criteria which are made clear to everyone and applied across the board equally, rather than, say, Luke Crane deciding who he wants to turn a blind eye to on this point.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

(There's also a perverse incentive on Kickstarter not to enforce the rule, because the more Kickstarters they allow people to run, the more 10% payoffs they get...)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I regret posting the link; I didn't intend the hate-blog to get more traffic. :(

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Warthur posted:

Yeah, Wraith was very late too.

They've tightened up a lot by measures like insisting that people have a full text in place before launching Kickstarters, rather than the old way where the project leads had more leeway in terms of how they ran the Kickstarter and how much they needed to complete before the project went live.

Nonetheless, the rule is "No new projects whilst old projects are unfulfilled", not "no new projects unless you demonstrate that you have a good pipeline". If exceptions are going to be made to the rule, they should be made in a clear and transparent manner, based on criteria which are made clear to everyone and applied across the board equally, rather than, say, Luke Crane deciding who he wants to turn a blind eye to on this point.

I mean, enforcing any rules when not forced to by public outcry isn't something Kickstarter is really known for, so I wouldn't hold my breath over them doing anything consistently.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Baron Snow posted:

gently caress you Harmony Gold.

Does anybody know how Harmony Gold makes money? I mean, I guess there's licensing of Robotech, but none of that seems anything more than small-time. Is it just presumable they're still in the money-laundering business, or survive on shut-up money from their spurious lawsuits, or... what?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Does anybody know how Harmony Gold makes money? I mean, I guess there's licensing of Robotech, but none of that seems anything more than small-time. Is it just presumable they're still in the money-laundering business, or survive on shut-up money from their spurious lawsuits, or... what?

Harmony Gold is a south-african based gold prospecting and mining company. They just have the rights to Robotech for some godforsaken reason.

EDIT: The reason is, checking, that they were partners with some kind of production company then bought all it's assets when it crashed, or something?

spectralent fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 9, 2019

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Dude, they prospected that anime gold. Respect.

j/k they are absolute garbage

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

spectralent posted:

Harmony Gold is a south-african based gold prospecting and mining company. They just have the rights to Robotech for some godforsaken reason.

EDIT: The reason is, checking, that they were partners with some kind of production company then bought all it's assets when it crashed, or something?

Harmony Gold the South African mining company and Harmony Gold USA the production company are two (as far as I can tell entirely) separate organizations. Where do you see that they are connected?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Harmony Gold the South African mining company and Harmony Gold USA the production company are two (as far as I can tell entirely) separate organizations. Where do you see that they are connected?

Yeah, HG USA is absolutely shady but as far as I know are only shady for things relating to TV and movie production (and what their shareholders get up to like tax fraud).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
They're primarily a real estate company now I believe.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Tatsunoko clearly is fine with whatever payment they were given. It takes two to tango.

And I’m not disagreeing that HG huffs farts

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 10, 2019

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Having googled for a source, probably "mistake I've made at some point in the past where I've mixed the two up for years" :shobon:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

writhe in piss, you sloppy punch-hole

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PoptartsNinja posted:

They're primarily a real estate company now I believe.

Yeah, they make most their money through being a California based real estate company.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

That Old Tree posted:

writhe in piss, you sloppy punch-hole

Tbh knowing that YRPGIS (a blog that mostly screamed at Dungeon World/OSR games) was apparently David Guyll (a Dungeon World/OSR dev who tried competing with Gnome and lost five years ago) makes this a lot funnier:

quote:

Oh okay so Rando is INSANELY jealous of D&D’s popularity. He wishes his Fellowshit got but a fraction of a percentage of the attention it gets but it won’t

quote:

I mean WokeC poo poo is pretty loving bad it’s just that the indies are somehow sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much loving worse that it’s no wonder no one plays your crap games. They’ll buy them, sure, in meager numbers and only because they want to brag about it online to people that pretend to care because deep down they are also mentally ill sacks of poo poo. They ain’t buying to play. It just gets shelved and forgotten about and that pisses you off to no end.

quote:

Look in the end people GIVE a poo poo about D&D, about the lore. LOTTA people do no matter how much you jam your head up your rear end and DESPERATELY wish and pretend otherwise (and project your behaviors and shortcomings onto everyone else). Yeah there are a lot of fake hobbyists trying to make a quick buck by shilling objectively terrible poo poo, pretending to play, recording videos where they talk about recycled lore or spew bad advice or good advice they read on a blog post somewhere else BUT there are many more people that actually play and actually care. They just don’t go online and brag about it because they’re well adjusted. You’ll NEVER have any of that, and THAT’S why you’re so bitter and angry.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ettin posted:

Tbh knowing that YRPGIS (a blog that mostly screamed at Dungeon World/OSR games) was apparently David Guyll (a Dungeon World/OSR dev who tried competing with Gnome and lost five years ago) makes this a lot funnier:

Yeah, the impression I got is that this dude's projecting so hard he's single-handedly revived the drive-in-movie industry.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Ettin posted:

Seeing this industry as a competition is delusional in the first place. Someone who buys one of Gnome's games is far more likely to buy one of my games or your games, and vice versa. More people buying indie games is better for all of us.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i actually recently read dungeons and delvers and its amazing how you would pretty much never know this dude was a raging rear end in a top hat. so often these people's lovely opinions bleed into their work and it makes it easy to spot them

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Serf posted:

i actually recently read dungeons and delvers and its amazing how you would pretty much never know this dude was a raging rear end in a top hat. so often these people's lovely opinions bleed into their work and it makes it easy to spot them

Right, but why would they do that?
Why would normal people say things contrary to how they actually feel in order to garner favor with groups they hate. Only lovely SJW cucks do that. :thunk:

I feel the need to point out that this is sarcasm.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Kurieg posted:

Right, but why would they do that?
Why would normal people say things contrary to how they actually feel in order to garner favor with groups they hate. Only lovely SJW cucks do that. :thunk:

I feel the need to point out that this is sarcasm.

Police informants and spies. The Awful Good guy is a groggy double agent.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I don't know the timeline for YRPGIS, but Guyll's public facing persona was quite a bit more abrasive and anti-SJW years ago when his weird grudge against Gnome and Fellowship was getting slathered all over his company blog. After a particular misstep where he really showed his rear end about some social justice thing or another, he suddenly stopped posting opinion/politics stuff and the website focused solely on his upcoming game.

And this all started, as far as I know, when he blatantly broke DTRPG terms of service and got the mildest slap on the wrist for…posting a review of one of Gnome's products, which you're not supposed to do if you make competing products. This bizarre anger festered for years. Over his own clear violation of a market's rules and the baby soft punishment for doing so.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Ettin posted:

this guy calling WotC WokeC as an insult is pretty good but probably not for the reason he thinks it is

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I have found the use of hilarious and/or ironic misnomers to be a universal indicator that I can ignore a person and everything they say.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 11, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
the boys at slashdot were right about micro$oft

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Is slashdot still pro-linux for stupid reasons or have they convinced themselves that actually, Windows is the best because the market can
't
be wrong

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It's been a couple of days since we've been angry at D&D so why don't we start this day off right...

https://twitter.com/GeekandSundry/status/1148728598951579648

Seriously though, this is a really loving lazy high school persuasive essay about how D&D 5e is awesome because of that awkward "Sex" section of the PHB that says it's okay to be any gender because of Corellon Larethian, and there's same-sex couples in four published adventures, and how there's a nonbinary character in a one-off adventure that the game text bends over backwards to avoid using "they" pronouns on.

quote:

Char is the ever-fluid of the two, in mannerisms, gender, and in battle. When Char speaks, Char is boastful and happy to be the center of attention. When Char is quiet, Char is either thinking, calculating the next move, or doubting previous actions.

There's also something weirdly uncomfortable to me about gamifying fluid shifts in physical sex after any "long rest"

quote:

Occasionally elves are born who are so androgynous that they are proclaimed to be among the blessed of Corellon — living symbols of the primal elves’ original fluid state of being. The rarest of these blessed elves can change their sex whenever they finish a long rest.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

There's also something weirdly uncomfortable to me about gamifying fluid shifts in physical sex after any "long rest"

So what classes have Transition as a skill, and is it based on Con or Cha? Can I use a bard's inspiration dice on the check?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Zurui posted:

I have found the use of hilarious and/or ironic misnomers to be a universal indicator that I can ignore a person and everything they say.

Sounds like something a Social Justice Worrier would say

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

All of WotC's Pride/Ally efforts have the same energy to me as the Cheetos/KFC Cobranded Cheezy Chicken Sandwich, aka "Corporate Poison."

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Some big blowup happened on Twitter regarding John Harper and DungeonCommandr, which was significant enough to cause Harper to issue what looks a comprehensive apology, but somehow left no trace of the actual... Argument? Comment? Behavior? Both people seem to have deleted the original tweets. Does anyone have any idea what this is about?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Kestral posted:

Some big blowup happened on Twitter regarding John Harper and DungeonCommandr, which was significant enough to cause Harper to issue what looks a comprehensive apology, but somehow left no trace of the actual... Argument? Comment? Behavior? Both people seem to have deleted the original tweets. Does anyone have any idea what this is about?

The Blades in the Dark guy? And I have no idea who DungeonCommandr is. Like sincere ignorance not throwing shade ; I don't think I've ever heard is name.

I quite like Blades and would prefer not to support poo poo birds, so pretty interested in what happened????

This has been my super not insightful contribution.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
DC was talking about RPG theory -- I can't remember exactly what because I didn't care -- and Harper rolled in with eyeroll.gif to say it had all been done before. DC said 'uh, no?' and Harper went off with a very 'sit down and shut up, your elders are talking' line which went down about as well as you'd expect.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

potatocubed posted:

DC was talking about RPG theory -- I can't remember exactly what because I didn't care -- and Harper rolled in with eyeroll.gif to say it had all been done before. DC said 'uh, no?' and Harper went off with a very 'sit down and shut up, your elders are talking' line which went down about as well as you'd expect.

It was about the light vs heavy RPG concept, talking about how to describe games. Harper went heavy into "we did this before, nothing good comes of it" in an rear end in a top hat way to shut it down, and yeah.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Harper forgot the one rule about rpg twitter - if you can't say something true about Zak S (who's apparently known for making GBS threads himself), don't bother saying anything at all.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
I'm not sure how many people in here create professional or semi-professional content for RPG's but I've been getting more into that sphere lately and I've got a bunch of questions about mastering documents (thinking like... books, in digital form or otherwise - but specifically I am looking to create digital PDF's as my end goal), and don't have the right terminology to even describe correctly. So if anyone has experience with the process of creating, mastering, designing, polishing, etc I'd really love to pick your brain (briefly) via email, PM, or I guess I can awkwardly bumble through the process in the thread.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Context for the John Harper/DungeonCommandr thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Jesus, that is not a good look for Harper.