Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Godzilla07 posted:

The Hyundai 2.0T is a turd that doesn't perform, doesn't get good gas mileage, and is unreliable. There's a big design flaw where the rod bearings don't get enough oil, causing the engine to seize up. H/K initially claimed that these problems were caused by a manufacturing flaw for early models with this engine. Then H/K quietly extended the warranty for vehicles up to 2018 with this engine. The turbo engines are far more failure-prone; IIRC it's a 4:1 ratio for engine failures between turbo and N/A.

Kia specifically will cover this issue for the lifetime of the vehicle, but I don’t think the Sportage is so good to deal with it in the first place.

Excellent info, thanks. I knew they had problems with the older motors, I didn't know that problem reached so far forward. I have several notes of service on the Carfax, one specifically says "Oil Change" at 6500 miles, but not a lot of info from 10k to 30k. I need to have one more record of an oil change in that mileage range or it's a no-go, because Kia requires 15k oil changes and they'll drop the warranty without proof of those.

pr0craztinazn posted:

I've put a little under 4000 miles on rentals in the US and Korea, so my experiences with them are not anywhere close to long term ownership. I found the seats were not the most comfortable for long journeys. Fuel mileage tanks if you have to deal with hills with the turbo engine the SX comes with, and the throttle calibration is biased to open up quickly to make it feel more powerful. Otherwise, it was surprisingly competent compared to the previous generation. They don't do the single wheel immobilization nonsense that Toyotas tend to when on mixed ice and snow surfaces at low speed.

I don't like non-linear throttle, but my wife is coming from a turbo/CVT combo in the Juke, and that's like driving a rubber band for response, so I imagine it'd be better than that.

STR posted:

"The update involves the installation of Knock Sensor Detection System software which acts as an early detection system for engine failures."

Wait. They put out a boosted engine without a knock sensor? They didn't have the knock sensor monitored before? Or they're tweaking the software to be sensitive enough to pick up spun bearings?

Looks like it's already a knock sensor controlled system, but they're adding an out-of-bounds parameter that'll point to rod knock: (P1326 –Knock Plausibility) http://mediaassets.abcactionnews.com/document/2019/KnockSensorand%20SC172%20Recall%20Media%20Statements.pdf

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
My month long sojourn in a Ford Kuga allows me to say with confidence that it is a capably handling and comfortable if completely unremarkable vehicle to be in but the 1.5l diesel motor is complete dogshit

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I would do naughty things that stepped far outside of my comfort zone for a legal diesel passenger vehicle in the US from someone other than VW.

I don't want to refill blinker fluid.. or deal with VW electrical. And my budget rules out BMW or Mercedes. The only other diesel options I know of CURRENTLY sold in the US are trucks, though a random number of Jeeps and Chevy Cruzes could be had with diesels for a year or two. The diesel Cruze could only be had fully loaded (LTZ trim basically); I don't like leather, I don't like automatic. :argh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 9, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

cakesmith handyman posted:

Printer chat: I'll float the idea of separate mono laser (the brother DCP1610W looks like a good one and it's sub £100) and colour photo printers, any recommendations for 4x6 photo printers?

Phone chat: MotoG series all the way

Boat chat: I follow Acorn to Arabella and Tally Ho on YouTube, that's as involved as I want to get with proper boats, I'd love to build a canoe though, sounds like a manageable investment.

Wait for prime day and see if you can snag a good deal on a cheap Brother MFP.
The in-laws paid like $86 for theirs.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Wait for prime day and see if you can snag a good deal on a cheap Brother MFP.
The in-laws paid like $86 for theirs.

Is that a colour laser mfp (no good for photos) or a colour inkjet mfp (trying to move away from inkjet)?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

cakesmith handyman posted:

Is that a colour laser mfp (no good for photos) or a colour inkjet mfp (trying to move away from inkjet)?

It was a monochrome laser

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Finaaaally finished Stranger Things 3. Please everyone watch it so we can discuss it openly.

It was pretty decent. I feel like if they do another season the kids will be too old and it'll be even more disjointed than this season though.

Still not sure what to think about a certain person's fate after the end credits scene. They were my favorite before this season so hopefully they return.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The one I mentioned above matches that and I've seen it for as low as £75.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

meatpimp posted:

I've kept my son in Moto Gs and they've held up really well to constant, hard, teenage use.

I ditched my Nexus 6P that was all but dead for a Moto G7 a few months ago, because Google Fi had the G7 for like $200 or something. The only issue is all of your iPhone haver friends making fun of your pictures because the camera is about as good as my old Galaxy S3. Other than that, it's super solid and I'm happy with it.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Finaaaally finished Stranger Things 3. Please everyone watch it so we can discuss it openly.

We were going to started re-watching the first season in preparation for this and just didn't have time, and I pretty much said gently caress it. Then we started the new season and within like a minute, neither of us could remember pretty much anything about season 2, so we stopped and went back to watching season 1 :v:

STR posted:

I would do naughty things that stepped far outside of my comfort zone for a legal diesel passenger vehicle in the US from someone other than VW.

I don't want to refill blinker fluid.. or deal with VW electrical. And my budget rules out BMW or Mercedes. The only other diesel options I know of CURRENTLY sold in the US are trucks, though a random number of Jeeps and Chevy Cruzes could be had with diesels for a year or two. The diesel Cruze could only be had fully loaded (LTZ trim basically); I don't like leather, I don't like automatic. :argh:

I also got a '15 Golf TDI Sportwagen with a 6-speed a few months ago and I honestly couldn't be happier with it. (Well, if it was one of the 4-motion AWD ones I saw I would, but there were like two pre-owned ones in my price range for sale and they were on the other side of the country.) If you would have told me six months ago I'd be driving a Golf I probably would have laughed at you.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
On phonechat... had a Moto G5+ which I liked a lot but broke... ended up going Nokia 6.1 which has also been great in a basic "this is a smartphone, don't charge me a mint" sort of way.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dealerchat: Could they all do anything but live up to the lovely stereotypes? Christ, I've talked with almost a dozen dealers over the last week looking at Lexus NX200Ts and Kia Sportage SXs and they are all the loving same. I expect the puff, but something has changed with the dealers in the last 10 years that they don't move on the asking price... which is fine, that's their prerogative. But man, I had a deal last night on a Sportage about an hour from me, I was talking to the sales manager and we made a deal at the end of the day. I said that I didn't want to keep him and he said he'd give me a call first thing in the morning to get it settled. He said the dealership opens at 9:00, but he gets in around 8:30.

So I waited from just before 8:30 until just after 9:15. No call. I went out for a bit and came back to find he called at 9:25 and left a message with no apology whatsoever for completely blowing me off for almost an hour past when he said he would call.

If you don't have enough respect for my time and your word with a simple phone call, no way I'm making a deal with you, keeping basic promises is just common courtesy.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

meatpimp posted:

Dealerchat: Could they all do anything but live up to the lovely stereotypes? Christ, I've talked with almost a dozen dealers over the last week looking at Lexus NX200Ts and Kia Sportage SXs and they are all the loving same. I expect the puff, but something has changed with the dealers in the last 10 years that they don't move on the asking price... which is fine, that's their prerogative. But man, I had a deal last night on a Sportage about an hour from me, I was talking to the sales manager and we made a deal at the end of the day. I said that I didn't want to keep him and he said he'd give me a call first thing in the morning to get it settled. He said the dealership opens at 9:00, but he gets in around 8:30.

So I waited from just before 8:30 until just after 9:15. No call. I went out for a bit and came back to find he called at 9:25 and left a message with no apology whatsoever for completely blowing me off for almost an hour past when he said he would call.

If you don't have enough respect for my time and your word with a simple phone call, no way I'm making a deal with you, keeping basic promises is just common courtesy.

Eh, an hour into the work day feels to me like the edge of "first thing in the morning" territory, especially when paperwork is involved. But then again, how may clients could come in and distract him before the dealership opens/as soon as it opens?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

meatpimp posted:

When I open the store, I'm in 30-45 minutes before the store opens, but I have about hours worth of bullshit and paperwork that needs to be done. The fact that he called you within 30 minutes of the dealership opening is showing interest in you. Now if he explicitly said "Hey, I get in at 8:30, I'll give you a call then." Then thats one thing, but if not, it seems he called you within a reasonable time frame. v:shobon:v

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Elmnt80 posted:

Now if he explicitly said "Hey, I get in at 8:30, I'll give you a call then."

He did.

Him: "I'll call you when I get in."
Me: What time is that?
Him: The store opens at 9:00, but I get in around 8:30.
Me: Okay, I'll talk to you then.

I understand poo poo happens and springs on you when you first get in, but then you lead the voicemail message with "I'm sorry, but..." not "Just giving you a call back from yesterday."

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ah. Then he can gently caress his hat.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed, especially when it comes to anything involved with a dealership, and even more so with salesmen.

I mean, "keeping promises" and "car salesman".....Think about that for a second.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed, especially when it comes to anything involved with a dealership, and even more so with salesmen.

I mean, "keeping promises" and "car salesman".....Think about that for a second.

I know, but drat. If I was in that line of work, and I knew the stereotypes, I'd make damned sure that I didn't play right into them. I'm making good faith, cash offers for the cars. No work on their part other than transferring title and giving me the car.

Then again, if I was more skeptical, I'd think that I am not the kind of customer they want, because they can't soak me with lovely financing and other garbage.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Sounds like he was answering the "What time to you get in." question, not "What time will you call me." Sales staff aren't smart people, I've worked with them for almost 10 years now.

I feel you on the moving on price though. When I picked up my car, they absolutely would not budge on price because they were having a sale and their internet price where I saw it was a couple grand off of the sticker on the car. I DID get them to take care of a dent and a couple of scratches and throw in a tonneau cover though, so.

Also, I found out that if you mention you work at the dealership down the road, the finance guy will just breeze you through without trying to sell you on poo poo :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

I know, but drat. If I was in that line of work, and I knew the stereotypes, I'd make damned sure that I didn't play right into them.

But you're not in that line of work and neither is anyone like you. Certain types of people get into sales and it's laughable to think that any of them have any kind of self awareness.

Some idiots at the Hyundai dealership near us lost a sale on a genesis for the same reasons and we got a Lexus instead.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

meatpimp posted:

Seems a little harsh (he still called you back fairly early, within an hour window of when he said), but I have little expectations from dealers in the first place.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

T-Square posted:

We were going to started re-watching the first season in preparation for this and just didn't have time, and I pretty much said gently caress it. Then we started the new season and within like a minute, neither of us could remember pretty much anything about season 2, so we stopped and went back to watching season 1 :v:
There is a slick little "extras" tab that Netflix has on certain devices for their application where they have a "recap" that is about 5 minutes long and will remind you enough of what is going on and what happened. I watched that and remembered a good bit while going through the episodes of the new season.

Suburban Dad posted:

It was pretty decent. I feel like if they do another season the kids will be too old and it'll be even more disjointed than this season though.

Still not sure what to think about a certain person's fate after the end credits scene. They were my favorite before this season so hopefully they return.

There will have to be another season, there is far too much money involved. I hope it doesn't have as long of a break in between seasons though for the reasons you mentioned. Being young kids are what made the first season so awesome.

There is no way that you know who is gone. Rule ONE of every TV show is unless you see a body go in the ground that person is not dead. He will stick around for the same reasons that Daryl on TWD has been around forever. The fanbase would turn savage if that was the end of his story. I think that with the note of the speech the last words were "leave the door open" which will lean heavily into the next act of the show. Maybe he escaped into the Upside Down? The next bit will definitely be strong white guy is saved rather than the one doing the saving. Also, will Steve ever get a girlfriend?

mariooncrack posted:

I really wanted to get an iPhone SE earlier this year. They're small and they had a headphone jack. The internals are still old and I doubt it's going to get iOS 14. To me, that's a big deal. If I'm going to buy a new phone, I want updates for a few years. It bothers me that there's no Android phone that will get major updates past 2 years or security updates past 3. In comparison, this is the last year of the iPhone 5s support.

I've learned to live without a headphone jack but I really want it added back to the flagship phones.

It really is exactly what I want out of a phone though. I like the size, the battery life is excellent. It has 4K video recording, Live Photos, Apple Pay...and a frigging HOME BUTTON. I don't know what I will end up with when this one dies.

fridge corn posted:

Only watched the first episode so far. Got distracted last night and watched the Terminator instead lol

Keep watching Stranger Things S3 and you will have a treat :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Suburban Dad posted:

Seems a little harsh (he still called you back fairly early, within an hour window of when he said), but I have little expectations from dealers in the first place.

If that was the only thing, yeah. But of course it wasn't.

Check out the car: https://www.cadillacspringfield.com/VehicleDetails/used-2017-Kia-Sportage-SX_Turbo_AWD-Springfield-OH/3461100593
And the Carfax: https://www.cadillacspringfield.com...:o=%27carfax%27

It clearly shows 2 owners. One that had it for a few months and 3500 miles, then it went to a dealer and was in the dealer's inventory, then it went to the second owner a couple weeks later.

Only this dealership has a sales manager who swears up and down that HE was the salesman for the car originally, that HE dealer traded for the car and that it was one woman that owned the car for the entire time. However, there are a handful of discrete entries in the Carfax, and the Ohio BMV shows that the car had a title transfer in that period, too... that does not wash with a "one owner, I know her" vehicle.

Not calling me at 8:30 this morning, in fact calling over 45 minutes later and not apologizing was just the last straw... :shrug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

the spyder posted:

Pixel 3a as alternatives. Any others I should check out?

I've got a Pixle 3a and it's great. I vastly prefer a phone straight from Google but the Android One phones are pretty OK (at least on the software side).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Watching Mighty Car Mods' latest episode, I love how stoked they are about something I just regard as generic cheap chav transport.

Edit: lol at the German plod.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 9, 2019

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

But you're not in that line of work and neither is anyone like you. Certain types of people get into sales and it's laughable to think that any of them have any kind of self awareness.

Some idiots at the Hyundai dealership near us lost a sale on a genesis for the same reasons and we got a Lexus instead.

For some personal perspective/experience from my store, including the mass hiring of sales people that we just had, of the half of them that are actually good at what they do and make a ton of money and sales, probably 40% are aggressive two-sided snakes, and 10% of them are actually good, solid people that have just found something they're good at and stay with it because they can make a lot of money. The other half of our sales staff are just a bunch of washouts that don't know how to do anything else and get tossed enough leads by the sales managers to stay afloat.

Edit: 30 days ago we hired 12 additional sales personnel, one didn't show up, another didn't show up for the 1st and 3rd day so we canned that one, an additional two were let go in the first week, and two more quit. One more keeps failing his mandated test to be licensed to sell automotive vehicles in the state, so I expect he will be let go soon as well. Those are the majority of people you can expect to get in the door for a sales job.

T-Square fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 9, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Watching Mighty Car Mods' latest episode, I love how stoked they are about something I just regard as generic cheap chav transport.

Edit: lol at the German plod.

beater life bruv

Safety Dance posted:

Heading to Quebec City in a day or two for work. What's good in French Canada?

"tabernac" means "hello friend" and they love hearing about how much nicer people are in anglo canada.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 9, 2019

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So you remember in Full Throttle when Ben says "this view contains true beauty?"

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

STR posted:

Diesels in passenger vehicles are awful and they need to die

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Powershift posted:

"tabernac" means "hello friend" and they love hearing about how much nicer people are in anglo canada.

Haha no, although it would be funny.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Stranger Things Season 3 was pretty great.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

fridge corn posted:

Ya

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fridge corn posted:

My man. :hfive:

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

T-Square posted:

Edit: 30 days ago we hired 12 additional sales personnel, one didn't show up, another didn't show up for the 1st and 3rd day so we canned that one, an additional two were let go in the first week, and two more quit. One more keeps failing his mandated test to be licensed to sell automotive vehicles in the state, so I expect he will be let go soon as well. Those are the majority of people you can expect to get in the door for a sales job.

Whats this test like?

Also, when we bought our Honda, the sales consultant mentioned that she had to pass tests about features of each car. Is that a manufacturer thing or just this dealer?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

ilkhan posted:

Ammo that isn't in a barrel just makes a little pop. Bullets fire because there isn't anywhere else for the gas to go but to push the bullet. If it cooks off without that support around it the brass expands and the bullet doesn't go anywhere.

Just a little FYI.

Powershift posted:

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The bullets are 40 grains, the cases are about 10, that's 0.65 grams. Heavy airsoft pellets weigh .2 grams.

They probably wouldn't have even broken the skin.

So, uh, no - discovered this today -

Also today the fire investigator discovered a bullet hole in the passenger door of the Mercedes. TLDR real world results refute the bullshit above

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Tremek posted:

Also today the fire investigator discovered a bullet hole in the passenger door of the Mercedes. TLDR real world results refute the bullshit above

:stare:

JFC, so glad everyone walked away from that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tremek posted:

That doesn't look like a .22lr round sitting there.

Keep quoting me out of context and calling it bullshit though.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 9, 2019

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

fridge corn posted:

Oh god yes

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I'm not quoting you out of context considering the context of the discussion was my garage fire, and yes it's not 22LR, but ... get mad I guess?

PS, good news today: Safeco is stepping up and has officially confirmed they're retroactively reinstating our policy back to closing so all this is covered. Now the process begins with our public adjusters doing their parallel process with the Safeco adjusters to advocate for us getting a fair settlement. This also means we can get a rental covered by insurance, and an advance for replacing necessities, etc.

All good things, but per the realistic estimates we're hearing, will still probably be 2+ months before any demo or remediation begins, and a good 6+ months before we're back in.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tremek posted:

I'm not quoting you out of context considering the context of the discussion was my garage fire, and yes it's not 22LR, but ... get mad I guess?

I was responding to someone regarding throwing 22lr in a campfire, using the weights of a 22lr bullet and casing, and the muzzle velocity of a 22lr bullet. You're calling it bullshit because heavier bullets with heavier casings and a lot more powder had a lot more energy.

Stop being a loving twat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Powershift posted:

I was responding to someone regarding throwing 22lr in a campfire, using the weights of a 22lr bullet and casing, and the muzzle velocity of a 22lr bullet. You're calling it bullshit because heavier bullets with heavier casings and a lot more powder had a lot more energy.

Stop being a loving twat.

I bet you're fun at parties. Also note I quoted ilkhan. Betting you have heard "it's not all about you" more than once in your life.

In other news, almost 300 miles on the Raptor, which I like aside from the angry minivan tragedy that is the Ecoboost powerplant answer to a question nobody asked. This truck would be 10x better with a forced induction V8, which watch Ford introduce next month.