Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Epicurius posted:

I think Kirk would at least hear her out.

And to be fair, Bones would be likely to try to slap anyone out of it, up to and including Kirk. He's a natural skeptic and very much a "show me first and then I'll believe you" kind of person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I thought there were new Beyond Belief episodes and got excited. :saddowns:

:same: :sigh:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

That's... actually not a bad description of TOR. He doesn't mention the paranoid encryption at every step, but I guess they have to assume the audience is not technical at all, so hey, one step at a time.

And it's great when you consider that this is its competition for TV show descriptions of computer stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2rGTXHvPCQ

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Timby posted:

That's all on Herman Zimmerman.

Generations was the result of a completely and utterly burnt-out writing pair. They weren't writing it concurrently with All Good Things..., but they moved to it right afterwards (during which time Piller added a stupid-rear end subplot about space pilgrims trying to get to the anomaly to AGT that everyone, from Berman on down, said "what the gently caress?" to and it was thankfully cut), and they were just cooked at that point, desperately needing a break.

It was a good switch, but the problem is that we already saw Picard work through his PTSD in Family, I, Borg, and to a lesser extent, Descent. Then out of the blue he's a raging psychopath, because Stewart wanted to be an action hero.

Timby, you know a lot of Trek things, so I have a quickie for you: Why exactly is the first...minute of TMP, before credits, paramount logo, etc, just a black screen with music playing?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Timby, you know a lot of Trek things, so I have a quickie for you: Why exactly is the first...minute of TMP, before credits, paramount logo, etc, just a black screen with music playing?

That’s an overture, man. It’s something movies really ought to bring back (along with good scores).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_9owG7jcpE

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alan_Shore posted:

I have to defend Moore and Braga here when it comes to Generations. Not only were they writing that and All Good Things simultaneously (so much so they'd start writing and realize they were writing the wrong script) but ALSO the studio mandated that Generations had to

1) have Kirk
2) have Kirk and Picard meet
3) there can't be any time travel
4) kill Kirk
5) blow up the Enterprise

I think they did really well considering the burn out, the small budget, and the bullshit restraints. All Good Things perfect, possibly the best finale ever, so they can write when not hamstrung by clueless execs
This is the first time I’ve heard that the studio mandated blowing up the D

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the overture before TMP is one of my favorite parts about it. Ilia's Theme is an amazing piece of music and it just sets the mood perfectly.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

It was a good switch, but the problem is that we already saw Picard work through his PTSD in Family, I, Borg, and to a lesser extent, Descent. Then out of the blue he's a raging psychopath, because Stewart wanted to be an action hero.

If PTSD was something you can easily cure, maybe this would make sense. But I think it's perfectly reasonable for Picard to work through it on a small scale (because in Descent he's fighting Borg led by Lore, not the actual Collective), and seem okay, only to suffer an episode when he has to fight them at Earth both in the present and the past, only this time from the Federation's side instead of as a captive audience from the Borg perspective.

I do agree though that it would still make a lot of sense for Picard to be the one helping Cochrane on Earth, however, considering his heavy interest in archeology, but if we assume all things being equal then Riker being adamant about not blowing up the Enterprise in the face of continuing Borg encroachment would feel a little odd as while I'm sure he would also have some trauma from the Locutus incident it isn't as direct as Picard's.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is the first time I’ve heard that the studio mandated blowing up the D

Same. I'd always heard that decision was entirely internal, and for the sake of future movies: so that they could replace the built-for-TV sets and spaceship models with stuff that'd be easier to work with in films.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Powered Descent posted:

Same. I'd always heard that decision was entirely internal, and for the sake of future movies: so that they could replace the built-for-TV sets and spaceship models with stuff that'd be easier to work with in films.

Well wouldn't it have to be external as well so they'd actually have funds to get new sets?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Oh my god it has 1337 subtitles.

1+'5 |\/|46|\|1F1<3|\|+!

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Oh my god it has 1337 subtitles.

1+'5 |\/|46|\|1F1<3|\|+!

That's so hot.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked Devil's Due, Aadra's fun. I hope she recurs.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Angry_Ed posted:

If PTSD was something you can easily cure, maybe this would make sense. But I think it's perfectly reasonable for Picard to work through it on a small scale (because in Descent he's fighting Borg led by Lore, not the actual Collective), and seem okay, only to suffer an episode when he has to fight them at Earth both in the present and the past, only this time from the Federation's side instead of as a captive audience from the Borg perspective.

I do agree though that it would still make a lot of sense for Picard to be the one helping Cochrane on Earth, however, considering his heavy interest in archeology, but if we assume all things being equal then Riker being adamant about not blowing up the Enterprise in the face of continuing Borg encroachment would feel a little odd as while I'm sure he would also have some trauma from the Locutus incident it isn't as direct as Picard's.
I get this response, but just because something is realistic doesn't mean that it makes a good story.

But more than that, what I like about Picard's journey with the Borg is that it's about seeing the humanity in something truly alien and scary. The Borg aren't like the Romulans or Cardassians who are literally related to humans and are on similar playing fields. Even Q or the Cardassian inquisitor who tortures Picard are fundamentally people that Picard can relate to on some level. The Borg are a truly alien species, not just in how distinct they are from human beings, but how superior their technology is. And despite that all, despite what he goes through, Picard is able to see them as people. And I think that's a really nice arc that First Contact really doesn't engage with.

To be fair though, First Contact is a much better last borg story than Descent.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked Devil's Due, Aadra's fun. I hope she recurs.

She doesn't unfortunately

The minor character who I really wish got more episodes was Tomalok. He showed up twice in a single season in two great episodes where he absolutely nailed it, then never again except once in a holodeck

e: and iirc he was mostly shoved aside for Sela who was not good

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 9, 2019

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

The minor character who I really wish got more episodes was Tomalok.

That's a funny way to spell Okona. (He's so outrageous!)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

She doesn't unfortunately

The minor character who I really wish got more episodes was Tomalok. He showed up twice in a single season in two great episodes where he absolutely nailed it, then never again except once in a holodeck

e: and iirc he was mostly shoved aside for Sela who was not good

I believe Andreas Katsulas said at one point that he disliked Future Imperfect because he felt that having Tomalak physically interacting with the characters (even if it was ultimately a hologram) made him much less menacing than when he was an unreachable face on a viewscreen. I can totally see him turning down extra appearances to avoid watering down his character (same reason why the creators of Farscape deliberately kept Scorpius in the background to have the moments when he DOES show up be total "oh poo poo" moments, though they did eventually "cheat" by introducing "Harvey")

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

cheetah7071 posted:

Tomalak was in four episodes: The Enemy, The Defector, Future Imperfect and All Good Things....

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
https://twitter.com/davidalanmack/status/1148688648390549505?s=21

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
THere are a lot of characters that join the enterprise that I hope will appear again, but probably won't like Minister Yale from the season 4 episode First Contact. Could have been fun to see her learning about the cultures of the other aliens on board, and trying to learn how to say "hello" in Klingon :3:. Also Riker's psychic alien son from Future Imperfect could have had a neat dynamic given how they bonded.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BioEnchanted posted:

THere are a lot of characters that join the enterprise that I hope will appear again

Don't plan on it. There are very, very few recurring characters in TNG, and two of them are the Romulans already mentioned.

Edit: Beyond Tomalak and Sela, the only other ones I can think of are Kurn, Lursa, B'etor, Gowron, Lefler, Nechayev, Lea Brahms and, of course, Q.

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 9, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If he's consulting on ST TV I wonder if he had any involvement in this last season, since one of his novels is extremely similar to the plot of S2 of Discovery with the Section 31 stuff

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm just spoiled by recent shows and their ever evolving casts...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Timby posted:

Don't plan on it. There are very, very few recurring characters in TNG, and two of them are the Romulans already mentioned.

Suddenly I'm inspired to try and list as many as I can from memory.

Q
Lwaxana Troi
Mr. Homn
Guinan
Nurse Ogawa
Reginald Barclay
Admiral Nechayev
Hugh
Lore
Sonia Gomez
Sela
Tomalak
Lursa
Betor
Duras
Gowron
Alexander
K'Ehleyr
The Traveler
Sito Jaxa
Leah Brahms (if holograms count as an appearance)
Noonien Soong (same caveat)
Moriarty (I guess holograms have to count)
Crystalline Entity (arguable whether this one's even a "character")
Spot :3:

I'm sure I'm still missing some.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Ro would probably count since she’s not quite a regular but more than just a recurring guest.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Was Barclay part of the Enterprise crew? I dunno if full crewmembers count.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ro would probably count since she’s not quite a regular but more than just a recurring guest.

Her character is strange from a production point of view because it's clear they were setting her up for DS9 but they did all that without getting the go-ahead from the actress and she wasn't interested when offered.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Ro was only in 8 episodes, even though it feels like she was in way more. Alexander was in the same amount.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Miles and Keiko 😤

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I always remember Dr Reyga even though he was only invoked by name in the second episode when Beverly remembered the metaphasic shields

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alan_Shore posted:

I have to defend Moore and Braga here when it comes to Generations. Not only were they writing that and All Good Things simultaneously (so much so they'd start writing and realize they were writing the wrong script) but ALSO the studio mandated that Generations had to

1) have Kirk
2) have Kirk and Picard meet
3) there can't be any time travel
4) kill Kirk
5) blow up the Enterprise

I think they did really well considering the burn out, the small budget, and the bullshit restraints. All Good Things perfect, possibly the best finale ever, so they can write when not hamstrung by clueless execs

1) True.
2) True.
3) False.
4) False (that was Braga's idea).
5) False (Moore wanted to end Descent, Part 1, with crashing the saucer section and he always wanted to pull that idea out again).

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
IIRC they also wasted a lot of time on the writing of Generations because someone (can't remember if it was Moore/Braga or a studio exec) got a bit hung up on the poster and wanted the Enterprise A and D facing off against each other, but no-one could come up with a good reason for why they would be facing off against each other.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

IIRC they also wasted a lot of time on the writing of Generations because someone (can't remember if it was Moore/Braga or a studio exec) got a bit hung up on the poster and wanted the Enterprise A and D facing off against each other, but no-one could come up with a good reason for why they would be facing off against each other.

Moore and Braga thought the best-possible poster for the movie would have the -A and the -D firing upon one another, but they (rightfully) decided that there was no way to make that actually happen without making one of the crews out to be the villains.

Edit: And they could never have afforded the full -A crew. As it was, they were working with a $25 million budget, less than The Undiscovered Country (which ultimately wound up costing $30 million), and they already had to take Shatner's $6 million salary and the huge paydays for Spiner and Stewart off the top--Shatner insisted on getting his full payday after taking a pay cut on VI for De Kelley to get a raise. After protracted negotiations and then the re-shoots, Generations wound up costing a little over $35 million, but it was still pretty tight--$35 million, for example, was about as much as The Final Frontier cost, and that was five years earlier.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 9, 2019

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Powered Descent posted:

Suddenly I'm inspired to try and list as many as I can from memory.

Sarek and Perrin, I suppose

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Oh, yeah, also Damon Bok, Mr. Remmick (the head-explodey guy), and Vash. And Riker's redheaded illusory fantasy woman.

Also any side characters who appeared in "Shades of Gray" :haw:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

If he's consulting on ST TV I wonder if he had any involvement in this last season, since one of his novels is extremely similar to the plot of S2 of Discovery with the Section 31 stuff

Are his books any good?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Hmm now I'm thinking Generations should have just been a retired Kirk on some adventure falling into a time hole and getting up to some time travel shenanigans with the TNG crew.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Technowolf posted:

Are his books any good?

What does your heart tell you?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Can't believe y'all are forgetting Dr. Selar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Can't believe y'all are forgetting Dr. Selar.

Never forget.