Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hyper Inferno posted:

Just some musings on tanks and their defensive options. Every tank now has the same suite of defensive options with minor variations.

All tanks have a 30% reduction for 10s on a 2 minute cd. WAR also gets reflect damage on theirs.

All tanks have an invulnerability option with varying CDs and effects. Notably, if WAR targets something with Holmgang and it dies, WAR can now die too.

Tanks also have a short CD mitigator of roughly 25 second CD for themselves and/or a party member. Sheltron/Intervention, Raw Intuition/Nascent Flash, The Blackest Night, Heart of Stone.

Each tank gets self heals. Clemency, Equilibrium, Abyssal Drain, and Aurora. Save PLD, they're on a 60 second CD. DRK doesn't get much healing out of theirs unless in a AoE situation. They also all heal for a small amount with their GCD combos except PLD (presumably because they have Clemency).

Tanks also each get a raid wide mitigator at 90 second CD. Divine Veil, Shake it Off, Dark Missionary, and Heart of Light. The latter two only work on magic, but physical raidwides are uncommon.

Lastly, each tank gets a unique defensive option. PLD gets an extra raidwide in Passage of Arms. WAR gets an extra personal CD in Thrill of Battle basically becoming old Defiance with its trait. DRK gets an extra magic CD in Dark Mind. GNB gets an extra general CD that has slight benefits against physical in Camoflauge.

So in terms of overall defensive kits, all the tanks are extremely similar.

Oh yeah, PLD has Shield Bash and Cover too, but those are extremely situational. It's possible that stuns will be relevant again, but I don't see shield bash being the preferred method of doing it when low blow exists.
So Abyssal Drain definitely does heal per enemy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

On my (granted) 50 BLM, I feel like Blizzard 3 has pretty much all but taken Blizzard 1's spot and Freeze has pretty much rendered Blizzard 2 completely moot.
Correct. I no longer slot either on my front bar. Fire 2 will also be obsolete at 68.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Lesser ascians can't bodyhop, and there's a larger number of those than what we see. The villain of one of the Summoner class questlines is an Ascian and we kill him dead sans aethercite just fine.

Yeah, Emet-Selch suggests that when these Ascians "come back" it's really because someone found one of their fragments and did something to it that basically turns it into the same person again. That might just be something the Echo can do? Regular Ascians are still pretty hard to kill though, given that they're crazy strong wizards, but less so than one of the big three.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

DeathSandwich posted:

I've not gotten to the end of 5.0 yet. Do they ever explain how Gaius is suppose to be killing Ascians? The Scions have killed what, 3? And each one was a massive undertaking. Is Gaius just killing their corporeal bodies and calling it good or does he know that he needs to trap their soul and aether shock them out of existence?

he was either simply destroying their host bodies, basically temporarily banishing them but causing no real long term damage, or just destroying the weakest lesser Ascians who possess incomplete souls and are a fraction of the power of a “true” Ascian

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Endgame
The Allagans didn't figure out time travel. They figured out how to open a gate to another shard, the 13th, or the Void. Garlond Ironworks, using that technology, as well as studying and reverse engineering what they could from Alexander figured out time travel. To move the entire structure through the realms, they used Omega's tech, as Omega could control matter in the interdimensional rift.

Personally I thought that was a very cool moment, and it's why the Twinning is by far my favorite of the two "expert" dungeons. Tying together raid tiers from ARR, Heavensward, and Stormblood was very satisfying and a nice way to make it feel more meaningful rather than "oh hey we found some allagan tech". They were able to pull off the whole deal only because of the WoL's adventures over the course of three expansions.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

Personally I thought that was a very cool moment, and it's why the Twinning is by far my favorite of the two "expert" dungeons. Tying together raid tiers from ARR, Heavensward, and Stormblood was very satisfying and a nice way to make it feel more meaningful rather than "oh hey we found some allagan tech". They were able to pull off the whole deal only because of the WoL's adventures over the course of three expansions.

i was about to make this same post but you beat me to it

the whole thing is just so freakin cool!!

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Kurieg posted:

Lesser ascians can't bodyhop, and there's a larger number of those than what we see. The villain of one of the Summoner class questlines is an Ascian and we kill him dead sans aethercite just fine.

They specified that they can't possess living hosts. It's why they drag you out to the middle of nowhere to fight him; so that he didn't have corpses to claim after you kill him.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

This is easily the most interesting the lore of a dungeon has ever been to me. It got me emotional over a drat optional expert dungeon of all things.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Magil Zeal posted:

The "self-destruct" mechanism is a nice nod, too. They wanted to make sure the tech didn't fall into the wrong hands after it served its intended purpose, but an actual self-destruct could cause irreparable damage to the area or be circumvented by someone with enough know-how like Emet. Biggs III's solution: make the system release a bunch of monsters once it's detected that the Flood's been stopped and the Lightwardens destroyed, because they know that you will barrel in to a monster-filled dungeon and clobber everything without a second thought, thus safely deactivating the system for good.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FactsAreUseless posted:

I thought it didn't when I read the tooltip but it definitely still does, it's great.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

BisbyWorl posted:

Out of curiosity, at what point do these crazy optimizations become vital to success? Is it only really necessary in Savage content, or do you need it for EX primals/normal raids? Half tempted to pick up MCH, but most of the reason I'm moving away from SMN is the piano spam. :v:

It's not important in the slightest, I just miss 4.5 MCH which was pretty easy to optimise and being very clockwork.

Give me back 4.5 MCH and slap Drill and Wildfire early release on it tyvm Yoship.

At least I can yeehaw my way through the sadness (and the mongo drill crits)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

it does, on big pulls you can see every individual tick steadily fill your bar and its satisfying

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Kerrzhe posted:

i don't see it say Dark Knight of Darkness anywhere :colbert:

I did see Warrior in the intro cinematic getting their poo poo pushed in.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

To briefly go back to BLM chat, I want to say that even with it's...lessened negatives, it's still probably the job I feel the most punished by. It tries to have a magic skillchain, in making you do a set number of Fire IV's before needing to refresh AF with Fire I, and the timing is now generous enough you can even fit one Thundercloud in, but it somehow, at least to me, feels frustrating instead of commanding incredible magic power. It's the job that has me starring the most at the job gauge because messing up is so incredibly punishing. It's the best it's been since they added Enochian, but to me that's still damning with faint praise.

Granted, this does mean it probably fits the niche for people who love that level of punishment when playing the job, and it does earn it's insane DPS. Though I'd rather than just easing off the timer, they just abandon that concept. If they want a class with a magical skillchain, just give it one. Activate various spells after you cast others so you're casting them in a clever sequence, or let Fire IV refresh AF and just give you a free instant Fire III or something after three consecutive casts. BLM was my old main before RDM so I have this attachment to wanting to love it but always being unable to do so.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Just count your F4s. 1 2 3 refresh 1 2 3 Despair.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You probably already know, but just in case, there is a dyeable version available on the MB rather cheap. It’s what I use on my dancer glam.

I didn't know this. What are they called? Not being dyeable is the only thing I hate about them.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

BrightWing posted:

Just count your F4s. 1 2 3 refresh 1 2 3 Despair.

Works fine against a target dummy, but bosses are not as kind. Like I understand what I have to do, but it's just hectic and unenjoyable when I do it.

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
Went back through the unending journey so I could hop on this (end of MSQ spoilers) bandwagon. Here's my BLM.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Dodge less, healers can adjust.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
BLM is honestly kind of like tanking?

You learn the fights, you memorize the flow, you learn what buttons you can afford to hit when and when you need to play defense.

And sometimes you'll eat poo poo.

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:

Eimi posted:

Works fine against a target dummy, but bosses are not as kind. Like I understand what I have to do, but it's just hectic and unenjoyable when I do it.

This gets easier as you learn fights, figure out where to place Ley Lines, when you need Triplecast for movement etc, and there's always an element of "oh no this AoE is right up in my poo poo, I bet I can finish this cast though... right? gently caress it lets just keep casting and let God sort it out."

There's a lot of knowledge involved and a lot of adapting on the fly. Sometimes you need to Fire I early and it sucks, but then you get to chaincast Fire IV five times and it's the best thing ever so I guess it's swings and roundabouts.

But yeah if you're not into applying fight knowledge on a heavier basis than other DPS have to to get the most out of your DPS potential, can't get the hang of slidecasting and aren't comfortable with adapting, sometimes extremely quickly, and maybe just want to chill and also relax, then BLM isn't the best.

But it still is the best, I'm not gonna lie.

Blockhouse posted:

BLM is honestly kind of like tanking?

You learn the fights, you memorize the flow, you learn what buttons you can afford to hit when and when you need to play defense.

And sometimes you'll eat poo poo.

This.

iTrust fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 9, 2019

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Dodge less, healers can adjust.

Eh kind of, you've got Manaward to soak damage, but with ShB you also have triple cast that let's you go mobile and reposition too. Once you hit 80 you've actually got some legitimate mobility

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

I didn't know this. What are they called? Not being dyeable is the only thing I hate about them.

Thavnairian Sarouel. The whole softstepper set is basically a non dyable version of one of the unisex Thanvairian set. There is also the women's only Thavnairian clothes (my character is wearing the headpiece from that set) that is extremely similar in style to the (Women's) Dancer AF set.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Also important not to forget Aetherial Manipulation can take you significant distances in a fraction of the time of walking, letting you clip much less timer adjusting

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Also, mega ethers are only ~800 gil in kugane and restore 800 mp, the exact amount you need for a 4th flare/3rd despair. MP revamp is blms best friend.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
somewhere in the previous thread there's a fifteen post conversation with me trying to figure out how to make aetherial manipulation work with party members and a toggle macro for how many AM targets to display and i think your buddy was gracious enough to explain it to me

i highly recommend that series of macros, if you have the bar space to spare

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

CYBEReris posted:

Also important not to forget Aetherial Manipulation can take you significant distances in a fraction of the time of walking, letting you clip much less timer adjusting

I have to get better about using aetherial manipulation. More often than not though I spend too muc htime trying to get into position and end up getting fire 1 to cast about .00001MS after enochian expired.

Other times I don't let it drop the entire boss fight and feel like a god.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Do pugilists/monks get an actual fist weapon?

Like a gauntlet of some sort, or is it all knuckles and stab-knuckles?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Also, mega ethers are only ~800 gil in kugane and restore 800 mp, the exact amount you need for a 4th flare/3rd despair. MP revamp is blms best friend.

Holy crap really? Stocking up on those

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

byakko fists are big dumb fists

you can also just go bare knuckle with the emperors new fists

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
found it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823905&pagenumber=1577&perpage=40#post493121504

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823905&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1578#post493127105

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Sephirot weapons kind of split the difference. Garo weapons are glowy runes on the backs of fists, there are more but I can't remember.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Emperors new fists, or I like the big fiery ones you can get from idylshire

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Or the lv70 AF fist weapons.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

You forgot glowing magical tea kettles.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Good enough for me.
Now I guess I gotta bang my head through the rest of ARR until I get access to those.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Zenos is Goku.

Change my mind.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Zenos is Goku.

Change my mind.

I have yet to see Zenos eat

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Good enough for me.
Now I guess I gotta bang my head through the rest of ARR until I get access to those.

The Emperor's New Fists (I think that's the game) are level 1, so you can glamour them onto anything. Check your local market board, and then buy some chunky looking hand slot armor to go with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Mordiceius posted:

Zenos is Goku.

Change my mind.

Zenos is Broly. Movie Broly, not DBS Broly.