Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

When I occasionally listen to the Blabbermouth podcast during long drives, her guest appearances sound like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

When did the stranger get so lovely? I vaguely recall it being good in the late 00s.

I don't think I've ever heard of a newspaper anyone likes

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

therobit posted:

The last one I had hit my gut like concrete.

Now don't "lye" about it. Because that's what I'm hearing out of CHUDS now is the new and cool additive.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

BrandorKP posted:

Now don't "lye" about it. Because that's what I'm hearing out of CHUDS now is the new and cool additive.

Can anyone really tell the difference between Burgerville's vegan coconut milkshake and quick drying cement anyway? The taste isn't all that different.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Rauros posted:

When I occasionally listen to the Blabbermouth podcast during long drives, her guest appearances sound like fingernails on a chalkboard.

you just haven't attained her higher state of equanimous enlightenment

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
WA is now charging sales tax on everyone, no exemptions for non-residents from states with no sales tax. That'll probably get fun around the state line.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Tulalip Tulips posted:

WA is now charging sales tax on everyone, no exemptions for non-residents from states with no sales tax. That'll probably get fun around the state line.

To be fair it’s not like Cali/Idaho/Wyoming/Dakotas/Mass/PA/Vermont/Maine or Maryland offer exemptions for visitors from border states without sales taxes. So even with the “save receipts and file a refund” rule it’s still a better deal than you can get anywhere else.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Smart move. They don't need our money.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Anyone on the border is going to either be shopping in Oregon anyway or else has even higher taxes in Canada

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah I imagine this has way more to do with Canada than it does Oregon.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Department of Revenue looked at the data and nearly all the out of state spending is still in King County. Tourists are either coming to Seattle to visit or at least they're coming through Sea-Tac and spending on the way. The Clark County/Oregon border thing is way overblown.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Yeah. The only times I've ever seen anyone avoid the sales tax like that were downtown Seattle. My mom says she gets a few people at the gas station she works at in Longview but not that many.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Wait, Canadian Residents could avoid tax?! (Previously)

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Heners_UK posted:

Wait, Canadian Residents could avoid tax?! (Previously)

You would walk up to the cashier with a self satisfied aura and declare, "oh I'm from out of state, I don't pay tax" and then the cashier goes through an extra 3 to 5 minute process to input your out of state ID number in the register with a 50/50 chance of a supervisor to need to approve it so you would eventually save $6.30

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

RuanGacho posted:

You would walk up to the cashier with a self satisfied aura and declare, "oh I'm from out of state, I don't pay tax" and then the cashier goes through an extra 3 to 5 minute process to input your out of state ID number in the register with a 50/50 chance of a supervisor to need to approve it so you would eventually save $6.30

Yeah, when I was a cashier 15 years ago, this was a pain in the rear end and everyone hated people that did this.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Peachfart posted:

Yeah, when I was a cashier 15 years ago, this was a pain in the rear end and everyone hated people that did this.

People used to try to get around the liquor tax with this where I worked and we almost never let them

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If you were a WWU student who worked a retail job in Bellingham, you always dealt with rude Canadians demanding no sales tax and acting like you should be so happy they're shopping there.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

When I have shopped for antiques in Vancouver usually the cashier asks for my Oregon license to waive the tax. It doesn't seem like a huge burdensome process unless there's a big line.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
The whole point was for Washington businesses to better compete with Canada and Oregon, but they never streamlined the process so it wasn't a big draw. Now it's less of one, I suppose.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I'm also pretty sure out-of-state residents can still not pay the tax if they want to under the new bill - they just have to pay it at the counter like the rest of us, then they can go home with their receipt and fill out a form to request a refund check. It moves the default to paying instead of not paying and it puts the burden of work onto the person who wants to not pay tax instead of the cashier at the point of sale.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Portland needs to add a tax on these people coming from Washington. It should be a reasonable but noticable tax on luxury goods as well as audio and visual media. An art tax, as it were.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

seiferguy posted:

To be fair, Katie Herzog is the worst writer on that staff. They have some talented people on there still (Charles Mudede, Lester Black, Natalie Graham, and depending on how you feel about him lately, Dan Savave). I still read it on a somewhat daily basis but every one of her articles is just pure white woman TERFy bullshit.

I will admit it's been over a year since I've read any of them but I found Mudede to be a terrible writer. His articles would make my head hurt.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Spergin Morlock posted:

I will admit it's been over a year since I've read any of them but I found Mudede to be a terrible writer. His articles would make my head hurt.

He’s duplicitous as gently caress. There were multiple times he wrote something rather incendiary then would go on KUOW and walk it back as though it was what he wrote the entire time. Sure, there might be a few kernels of corn in that pile of poo poo, but you shouldn’t have to go through the poo poo to begin with.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Spergin Morlock posted:

He has the same problem most of the Stranger writers have. They are given an assignment, whether it's a movie review or a restaurant review or a news article and it almost inevitably turns into a navel-gazing self-indulgent personal blog post about their boring dumb lives. Not everyone is Hunter S. Thompson. Talk about the movie in your movie review! Not about your weird bus ride to get to the theater and how it reminded you of getting high one time 20 years ago and what bar you're drinking in while writing your crap review.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
So apparently a dude randomly stabbed three elderly people in downtown Seattle around 10:30am and then got naked and ran. He is now in custody.

So that's something that happened.

https://mynorthwest.com/1445988/naked-man-stabs-people-near-downtown-seattle-nordstrom/

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Doing the Lord's work. Death to Boomers.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

1glitch0 posted:

So apparently a dude randomly stabbed three elderly people in downtown Seattle around 10:30am and then got naked and ran. He is now in custody.

So that's something that happened.

https://mynorthwest.com/1445988/naked-man-stabs-people-near-downtown-seattle-nordstrom/

poo poo like "[ensuring] that this suspect is charged and experiences the full weight of the law" pisses me off to no end. dude is having a mental health break and needs further hospitalization, not some tough-on-crime prosecution poo poo.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Having a normal one https://twitter.com/kittypurrzog/status/1148373060245868544?s=19

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

I think that "ephebophile" is probably the most horrible word in any language and anyone who has any use for this distinction can gently caress right off.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

That "it's still bad" parenthetical is such an rear end covering and it makes me so mad. Just loving come out and say that sexually assaulting teens isn't that bad.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

George posted:

I think that "ephebophile" is probably the most horrible word in any language and anyone who has any use for this distinction can gently caress right off.

It's useful as a filter to identify people I never, ever want to meet irl

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

If someone is known for being pedantic as soon as they bring up "ephebophile" its time to stage an intervention, or sever.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
She's also pro-golf, what the gently caress. Is she some bougie Lakeside grad or what?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

It's an editorial mandate since the people paying her have publicly been against the concept of statutory law.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

If there were any doubt that she's just a loving troll this should remove it

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

She's also pro-golf, what the gently caress. Is she some bougie Lakeside grad or what?

She's just a troll. She writes offensively dumb articles about all sorts of stuff and they get a ton of hate clicks.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
4.7 earthquake centered near three lakes, wa

I felt it. It was a surprise but it was really short

here's hoping it's not a precursor like the quakes in cali

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

Katie Herzog is right in saying he's not a pedophile. The proper label based on the ages I've seen mentioned is either ephebephile or hebephile. Now of course the distinction doesn't matter in terms of the damage done to the victim because either age range is way too young to consent to loving gross billionaires, but she is using the labels properly in describing his sexual orientation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Turtle Blogger posted:

Katie Herzog is right in saying he's not a pedophile. The proper label based on the ages I've seen mentioned is either ephebephile or hebephile. Now of course the distinction doesn't matter in terms of the damage done to the victim because either age range is way too young to consent to loving gross billionaires, but she is using the labels properly in describing his sexual orientation.

Nobody is questioning whether she’s technically right about the proper word to use. They’re calling her out for deciding child rape is a thing where there is any value at all quibbling over what Latin word best describes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I think it's pretty loving gross to call it a sexual orientation at all. It's a depravity and crime.