Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Volguus posted:

Do not forget about sexual orientation and if they hate The Jews and why is the answer yes? That ... that i think should do it.

:eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

Fourth of July weekend was good! Until my foster daughters sister called us because her two-year-old son was mauled by their German Shepherd and had to be life-flighted to the hospital across the state! That kind of hosed our weekend.

I did get drunk though.

Dude. I hope everything is OK with the kid.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

Dude. I hope everything is OK with the kid.

Oh good lord no. He will live, but he will need several surgeries and will be in the hospital for at least the next several months. It’s completely hosed his parents financially as well. It’s a horrible situation.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

JFC I hope they beat the crap out of that dog owner. I might get dogpiled (heh) for this, but a well-trained dog knows not to go all out on a kid no matter what the kid does. I don’t care if it’s a German Shepherd, Rottweiler, or the goofiest English Sheepdog ever, at most they’ll tell the kid to gently caress off if it’s hurting them. Which will scare the kid (and the parents) with the growling and barking and they’ll probably cry, but they won’t get hurt.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

JFC I hope they beat the crap out of that dog owner. I might get dogpiled (heh) for this, but a well-trained dog knows not to go all out on a kid no matter what the kid does. I don’t care if it’s a German Shepherd, Rottweiler, or the goofiest English Sheepdog ever, at most they’ll tell the kid to gently caress off if it’s hurting them. Which will scare the kid (and the parents) with the growling and barking and they’ll probably cry, but they won’t get hurt.

Came here to post this

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
It was their own German Shepard. I don't think beating then will help.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh poo poo, missed that it was their German Shepherd. In that case I hope that it goes to people who know how to raise a goddamn dog. But I know it’s probably just getting put down.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Put down the owners with the dog tbh

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Jeoh posted:

Put down all owners with their dogs tbh

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

There are always outliers. Dogs are animals and despite rigorous training there is always a risk of attacks especially with small children. It’s what you sign up when you mix pets with children.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
They bought their tickets. They knew what they were getting into.

I say let 'em crash.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
considering I know them, this wasn't them being bad owners. They aren't sure what happened, but as far as I can surmise, this was two dogs fighting and their two-year-old got in the way. I'm usually the first person to blame the parents, and initially, I did, but after grilling them for quite a while I can't see it as their fault.

The dog had no history of biting or being aggressive and was a good family dog, heck, I even liked him and had pet and played with him on multiple occasions. They didn't raise him aggressively, he was well taken care of, and always had lots of treats and pets. :smith:

The kid is really REALLY lucky to even be alive, but as it stands he is going to need half of his face reconstructed, including his eyelids, cheeks, lips, and nose.

Agrikk posted:

They bought their tickets. They knew what they were getting into.

I say let 'em crash.

It's easy to say that when you don't know them, their history, the dog, or the kid.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, I'm not a fan of dunking on the parents right now. They and their child are already paying a higher price than anyone should have to.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

It's easy to say that when you don't know them, their history, the dog, or the kid.

This was a reference to the movie ”Airplane” but in hindsight, references to an early 80’s comedy during a discussion about a mauled two year old is messed up. My apologies.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Agrikk posted:

This was a reference to the movie Airplane but in hindsight, references to an early 80s comedy during a discussion about a mauled two year old is messed up. My apologies.

I'm a huge Airplane nerd and didn't even get the reference. I feel bad now.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
a cool thing about supporting a bank is that every tom, dick and harry has "Vice President" in their title so you can never tell who is important and who isn't

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Finally heard back and I somehow didn't get that job. Glad they could take an entire week to say so, I really appreciate being strung along like that. They would not give a reason.

Taking a sick day at work today because I can't find the motivation to get any work done and I just feel trapped here.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

It’s completely hosed his parents financially as well.

Ugh... not the time and place for it, but as a UK goon this really hammers home how precarious your situation can be over there :(

Bad enough dealing with the trauma of your child being horrifically mauled but having that on top is just... nope

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I realllllly really don't agree with this. In fact, this attitude is exactly how poo poo like this can happen. People think "oh no my dog is so good and trained and tolerant of kids and it'll be fine it'll never hurt anyone" and they don't bother to learn the signs of a dog being stressed our harassed and eventually the dog snaps because no one bothers to protect the dogs space because they just assume "well it's so good and well trained we're so awesome look how the kid can just do anything to the dog and it doesn't bother the dog at all!"

No matter how good you think your dog is, you need to protect it from your toddlers and teach your kids to respect dogs space.
e: and to a dog a warning snap can effectively be that "gently caress off" but it can also seriously hurt a little kid

In this case it sounds like it wasn't quite that kind of scenario...a dog in a fight with another dog can easily transfer that aggression onto something else even if it normally wouldn't be aggressive towards a person.

But dammit...I have a toddler, they love animals so much even if they don't quite understand them and it really hurts to hear about these things happening

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I have two (rescued) Frenchies and while they are adorable and friendly, if they come across a child while being walked, I keep them away from the child at all possible.

Until the child asks if it's okay to pet my dog. Then I know the parent have taught them to be wary of dogs they do not know, and to be respectful. Hopefully if they're old enough to know warning signs of an upset dog as well.

I loathe kids who run like a bat out of hell and scream at the top of their lungs on general principle, but you can easily spook a dog coming at them from behind enough to make them react-snap and hurt you, a lot.

Condolences for that kid and their parents though, if that happened to my kid I don't know what I'd do. :(

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, this situation just sounds tragic. I’ve gotten a couple nicks and a fat lip breaking up a fight between a couple medium sized dogs as a grown man. If a toddler was trying to get in the way it would be way worse. At that point the dog sees anything getting in the way as an enemy until the fight has been thoroughly interrupted.

I’m totally in favor of teaching your kids to pay attention to an animal’s signs. I really should have been bitten by my grandparents’ dog when I was a kid when I cornered it so I could pet it. That would have been my fault. It was entirely our (and the parents’) fault when our dog pinned our roommate’s toddler because we think he was climbing on her and we weren’t paying attention. Having a 25 pound thing climbing on your effectively 80 year old body by pulling on loose skin probably really hurts. Thankfully all she did was pin him and snarl, but it was still terrifying. Thankfully the parents also agreed it wasn’t the dog’s fault that we weren’t paying enough attention to notice the toddler hurting the dog.

This is a really bad case that this statement doesn’t apply to, but it kind of seems to me like cats can get away with a lot more. Cat claws a kid and gives them a couple small cuts? It’s a cat, you shouldn’t have been bothering it. Dogs are expected to be saints.

I feel bad for how badly it probably screwed them financially too, a life flight is probably on the order of 150-200k. Even with the amazing insurance I used to have, that would be instantly enough for me to hit my max out of pocket even on the 10% coinsurance. That’s assuming that there’s not some caveat that the max out of pocket doesn’t apply to emergency services, then that would be 15-20k, and I had the best coverage I’ve seen through a company.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I don't know if this has been posted in this thread before, but just in case: America’s Job Listings Have Gone Off the Deep End: What even is a data-obsessed, project-juggling digital ninja?

This hits too close to home right now.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Someone whispered into my ears that the company made it clear they want me gone by the end of July. Not surprising since they’ve been trying to get rid of me since 2017, and the latest attempt was when the COO happily jumped at the chance in June (hence why I didn’t keep my mouth poo poo).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This is a really bad case that this statement doesn’t apply to, but it kind of seems to me like cats can get away with a lot more. Cat claws a kid and gives them a couple small cuts? It’s a cat, you shouldn’t have been bothering it. Dogs are expected to be saints.

I think part of this just comes down to the fact that the average house cat can't really cause severe injury other than clawing you in the eye. Almost anything else a normal pet cat can do to a conscious, fully able human of at least walking age could be treated at home or in a single visit to a professional, where basically any medium or larger dog could easily do damage in seconds requiring major surgery to repair.

I love big dogs and my cat's an rear end in a top hat, but they get away with poo poo for the same reason little kids (and cat-sized dogs) do, the threat they pose just isn't the same.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Finally heard back and I somehow didn't get that job. Glad they could take an entire week to say so, I really appreciate being strung along like that. They would not give a reason.

Taking a sick day at work today because I can't find the motivation to get any work done and I just feel trapped here.

drat, sorry to hear that.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

MS Access is awful. It dosn't behave like the rest of Office, and I swear some things are permeantly hidden in the database I'm working with. At least I only have to do simple things with it twice a year.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Maigius posted:

MS Access is awful. It dosn't behave like the rest of Office, and I swear some things are permeantly hidden in the database I'm working with. At least I only have to do simple things with it twice a year.

MS Access only exists to frustrate help desk when someone with rudimentary Access training noticed it was included in the default Office install three years ago and now needs support.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Aesis posted:

Someone whispered into my ears that the company made it clear they want me gone by the end of July. Not surprising since they’ve been trying to get rid of me since 2017, and the latest attempt was when the COO happily jumped at the chance in June (hence why I didn’t keep my mouth poo poo).

Got any paid sickleave? Use it.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

klosterdev posted:

MS Access only exists to frustrate help desk when someone with rudimentary Access training noticed it was included in the default Office install three years ago and now needs support.
But I think it's probably still better than those people that make a database in excel, with 10 custom macros (all unsigned of course) and multiple sheets for data. And some of the code has references to for paths that no longer exist, and reference controls and .DLLs that don't exist anymore.

Naturally, the one "whiz kid" that wrote it left years ago, and nobody thought to check that "mission critical" worksheet before upgrading everyone from office 2003 to 2013 :waycool:

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

klosterdev posted:

I had a Budget Director lament that his interview crop didn’t have much Access experience. My reply was that in the past decade, homegrown systems like that have been supplanted by systems that are built into the student info system and could be maintained by the vendor and IT dept. He didn’t like that very much. But then again, he came from a different time. Frustrating he still wants to use his crap Access app to force everyone to put in budget requests one line item at a time... oh well his funeral.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Son of Owner just asked me to re-arrange my office such that my screens are visible from the door. "For a more approachable, open feeling" :rolleyes:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

tactlessbastard posted:

Son of Owner just asked me to re-arrange my office such that my screens are visible from the door. "For a more approachable, open feeling" :rolleyes:

I would "forget" and keep working.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

tactlessbastard posted:

I cannot imagine how "please rearrange your room so your back is to the door" can come across as anything but threatening.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
Jesus. loving. Christ.

If you come into work (in the Support Center) and discover that a system is down, do us all a favor, will you?

Before you hop into the Support chat on Teams to post, "Hey, is there a problem with System X?", maybe, just maybe, take the time to read through the previous chats about the ENTERPRISE-WIDE OUTAGE OF SYSTEM X that we have all been working on for TWO loving HOURS!

Conversely, you could also take a look at the Known Issues Bulletin Board that comes up on the FRONT loving PAGE of the ticketing system when you log in. You know, the one that says "KNOWN ISSUE: SYSTEM X IS CURRENTLY DOWN ENTERPRISE WIDE."

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

tactlessbastard posted:

I've had disputes at multiple workplaces over this. I always prevailed, but gently caress even having to start the conversation. 1) No sysadmin's screen should be visible from a door, 2) does anyone actually enjoy being snuck up on? gently caress that. But sure, let's make this into an "open workplace" conversation.

Sirotan posted:

I spent $45 on a HP 1018 probably close to 15 years ago now, and it is still going strong. It meets all your criteria except that there is a second input tray, sorta. USB connection only. No buttons besides an on/off switch. No LCD screen. Single paper path. Absolutely no frills. Just prints. I hope it never dies because there is no printer currently on the market that I wish to deal with on my own time.

I have the 2005 version of this printer and it's still trucking along after all these years. If it ever dies I'll hunt around eBay to find the same model because I'm drat sure whatever they're selling now is not as good.

tactlessbastard posted:

You jest (i think), but I mean, it is my responsibility. I didn't anticipate this vector and I am the one that keeps hiring felons out of some kind of weird hopefulness and not making it impossible for them to steal.
Oh, I was jesting. Sure you want to close every loop you can, but at some point the human layer will always be the weakest. Hell, right now I could order a few thousand bucks of stuff from our Staples account and then sell it on the side. Would I get caught? Eventually. Is it 100% preventable before the fact? Not any way I can think of.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 10, 2019

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
So, not pissing me off but weirding me out: I'm still trying to figure out my new job. I think what's happening is just that my boss is pulled in so many different directions that he's not able to give me a lot of work or feedback. But what winds up happening is that he'll ask me to put together something, very pointedly saying there's no deadline. I'll put it together in a reasonable timeframe, send it over requesting feedback and...nothing for a while, then a "Great, keep it up!" Maybe once in a while a minor change request. Boss has been 100% flexible about remote work arrangements and time off.

After leaving two extraordinarily toxic workplaces, I feel like I've stumbled into the Twilight Zone. Either something terrible is about to happen, or else I just used up all my luck at once. I go back and reread my old posts in this thread once a month or so to remind me of the last place I left, and I still can't believe I put up with that. Now, a lot of my skills are probably atrophying, but I think I can accept that.

If I'm dreaming, I want a bunch of money and a spaceship ASAP! ... Maybe I'm not.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

The Macaroni posted:

I have the 2005 version of this printer and it's still trucking along after all these years. If it ever dies I'll hunt around eBay to find the same model because I'm drat sure whatever they're selling now is not as good.

That is basically the most barebones printer you can get... Also the fact that with HP printers, nearly the entire imaging system, save the laser itself, is inside the toner cartridge. So when you get a new toner, you are replacing a large portion of what makes it a printer with new parts. The rest of the device is just paper rollers and a laser.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Toxic boss has issued an edict that we shall henceforth "make sure we're following best practices around good migrations and understanding the ramifications when there are merge conflicts". Then some crap about how this is blocking a high priority project being tested.

So yeah, there's literally nothing we can loving do. We have a too many cooks situation and once again he has just randomly tossed out work to various teams and there is absolutely no cross-team collaboration (what are we paying two full-time scrum masters for if not the bare minimum of seeing these potential conflicts as work is divvied up?).

Team A has a ticket that requires a migration to modify a model. Team B also has one that touches the same area of the code. Both see that the current state of the develop branch has a latest migration of like 0092_something_happened.py, so they each name theirs 0093_(two different names).py (or, more likely, just run the makemigrations management command). Both start a PR into develop, and both builds pass.

Team B is quicker at code review because Team A has fuckface on it who likes to shriek about everyone catching up on code reviews in chat as if he isn't the one who has literally zero reviews done that week. But I digress. Team B merges their migration 93 into develop.

Team A's PR still builds, because it's based on develop prior to the Team B PR merge. Indeed, the build probably started and finished at the same time before anyone even looked at either PR.

Unless you magically know to do so, you're not going to rebase your PR after review. Our Jenkins builds take like 25 minutes, so it's also not realistic to expect this to be done just in case. Even if that was required and we were ok with the huge waste, that still guarantees nothing, since in a 25 minute build we will often merge in 10+ PRs sometimes!

THERE'S LITERALLY NOTHING WE CAN DO AS DEVELOPERS HERE rear end in a top hat :bang:

The best we can do AS AN ORGANIZATION, not individuals, would be:

1) Scrum masters actually do their job and warn everyone that story X and story Y will probably collide like this, so double check the other team's board so whoever is going to go second rebases accordingly, but that would require them to actually do some work beyond scheduling meetings.

2) Maybe don't spread this work around randomly so 14 different people are touching the exact same code constantly, but that would require you to do some work and actually plan things out ahead of time.

and

3) Holy gently caress this is why we should be using epic branches if you're so concerned about testing efforts being blocked. We do these absolutely baffling stealth deployments where we will hide the new features behind switches. Our entire codebase is littered with defunct switches and unused "else" blocks after those switch checks. This also leads to poo poo like when we launched in Canada and their demand was "just get it done", so everything was hardcoded with Canada-specific switches. Then we expanded into Australia and now the UK and they're so surprised that things aren't build for any arbitrary number of countries :psyduck:

They're so afraid of anything breaking that they want to be able to just flip a switch to turn things back, to avoid having to do a reversion and redeploy, but....we literally have 5+ hotfixes per deployment anyway.

It's like they desperately want to do CI, but have no idea what that actually means when you have a larger, more complex project. They want to deploy every little incremental piece as it comes in, but the feature won't actually work until Voltron is fully assembled. This is exactly what normal loving branching strategies are for.

I could rant for another hour about this poo poo. I'm primarily looking to bail because of people who are making life here utterly miserable, but there is a plethora of systemic problems like this that are also reasons. At least half our time is spent dealing with easily-preventable poo poo like this and every suggestion for improvement just goes unheard.

All of this is me not paying attention in meetings for my new(est) team. They literally just asked the question "what are we supposed to be accomplishing as a team", and we're all, "We have no loving idea, you shuffle is around multiple times a day, we barely know what team we're even supposed to be on anymore."

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

CollegeCop posted:

Jesus. loving. Christ.

If you come into work (in the Support Center) and discover that a system is down, do us all a favor, will you?

Before you hop into the Support chat on Teams to post, "Hey, is there a problem with System X?", maybe, just maybe, take the time to read through the previous chats about the ENTERPRISE-WIDE OUTAGE OF SYSTEM X that we have all been working on for TWO loving HOURS!

Conversely, you could also take a look at the Known Issues Bulletin Board that comes up on the FRONT loving PAGE of the ticketing system when you log in. You know, the one that says "KNOWN ISSUE: SYSTEM X IS CURRENTLY DOWN ENTERPRISE WIDE."

Users? Read? Surely you jest.

(No joke, I had someone call in about a regional outage once and, when I informed them that it was a known issue and was posted on our status page, stated "I'm an enterprise client, surely you don't expect me to read things like that?". I was in a permanent :psyduck: for the rest of the call.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

stevewm posted:

That is basically the most barebones printer you can get... Also the fact that with HP printers, nearly the entire imaging system, save the laser itself, is inside the toner cartridge. So when you get a new toner, you are replacing a large portion of what makes it a printer with new parts. The rest of the device is just paper rollers and a laser.
Works for me. I've bought maybe 4 toner cartridges over 15 years, thousands of pages printed.