Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
I think overall, we should evaluate Warren to be 70 good 30 bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Yeah, I think I'd be fine with that.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Shear Modulus posted:

warren was building political capital by not running in 2016

there is definitely an argument either way, and clearly warren decided not running was the more secure option, but i do think she'd be starting on a much better footing this year had she ran

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Berke Negri posted:

there is definitely an argument either way, and clearly warren decided not running was the more secure option, but i do think she'd be starting on a much better footing this year had she ran

Warren chose not to run because Clinton aggressively and actively pushed out every competition, and Warren wasn't as interested in running as a protest candidate as Bernie started out being

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

yeah

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Typo posted:

I think overall, we should evaluate Warren to be 70 good 30 bad

Well I deffo evaluate her to be 70

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

The science suggests that she is 0.015 good to 99.985 bad

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

warren would be on much better footing this year if she had ran in 2016 because she would be the incumbent president

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Calibanibal posted:

The science suggests that she is 0.015 good to 99.985 bad
1 / 1024 is 0.00097

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cerebral Bore posted:

TBF it's pretty ballsy to Kramer into a thread and start pulling some kinda amateur psychoanalysis out of your rear end combined with passive-aggressive complaining about other posters instead of even trying to make a proper argument and then start accusing others of intellectual dishonesty, but it's still really, really stupid.
Yeah! That's your gimmick!

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's pretty telling that you can't even begin to actually defend your claims.

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's extremely telling that you don't feel comfortable even disputing what I said and instead fall back on "well actually" and even more passive-aggressive accusations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

1 / 1024 is 0.00097

She's got a plan for that.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Terror Sweat posted:

Means tested plans never last, and are incredibly easy to make cuts to by future governments

Yeah because Medicare and Medicaid totally didn't last.. oh wait.

Means tested are inferior to universal plans of that I don't think that there is much debate, but your claim regarding means tested never lasting is demonstrably false, yes they are more vulnerable to fuckery but they aren't guaranteed to fail regardless of what "internet experts" claim. Means testing is a bit of a gimmick that's used to satisfy the public that those who don't need the help aren't getting it. It sucks that it's a gimmick that works, but it does work.

As far as how easy it is to make cuts, kind of depends on the program and other circumstances, see how Republican's fair every time they try to gently caress with Social Security or Medicare/Medicaid.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

Majorian posted:

Wow, it's almost as if the media being entirely uncritical of any of Warren's plans makes them look better than they actually are, in the eyes of voters.:thunk:

Bernie is being foiled by CNN, but he will somehow outmaneuver and destroy the healthcare industry?

Seems like the MSM should be child's play given the challenges he is talking about facing down.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

1 / 1024 is 0.00097

This is a Trump smear. The full range (provided by real scientists) is 1/64 to 1/1024

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1148752028681814016

She'll be 35 by next summer

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Raskolnikov38 posted:

white people are incapable of tasting food unless its bland and/or coated in butter

you eat plain baked potatoes without butter? :crossarms:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Skex posted:

Yeah because Medicare and Medicaid totally didn't last.. oh wait.

Means tested are inferior to universal plans of that I don't think that there is much debate, but your claim regarding means tested never lasting is demonstrably false, yes they are more vulnerable to fuckery but they aren't guaranteed to fail regardless of what "internet experts" claim. Means testing is a bit of a gimmick that's used to satisfy the public that those who don't need the help aren't getting it. It sucks that it's a gimmick that works, but it does work.

As far as how easy it is to make cuts, kind of depends on the program and other circumstances, see how Republican's fair every time they try to gently caress with Social Security or Medicare/Medicaid.

Medicaid doesn't exist in my state unless you're very poor and also have a family. If the gimmick worked then we would have more of a social safety net in this country than "SNAP if you're extremely poor and I guess a couple months of unemployment till they find a reason to kick you off".

also Dems tried to deeply cut Medicare in 2010/2011 lmao

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
So, question about the Sanders student loan debt plan? I get that Sanders wants the government to pay off all outstanding student loan debt. But then what happens going forward? He's said (and this is from an article by him in Fortune Magazine).

https://fortune.com/2019/07/09/bernie-sanders-cancel-student-debt/

quote:

Moving forward, our legislation will also make every public college and university, historically black college and university, trade school, and apprenticeship program in America tuition-free and debt-free, because we understand that education must be an economic right for all, not a privilege for the few.

While that's nice for the people attending, all those places are pretty full up already, so most students are still going to have to pay for their education, and large portions of that will also likely be debt financed. So what happens down the line with that debt? Has he said anything about that?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Epicurius posted:

So, question about the Sanders student loan debt plan? I get that Sanders wants the government to pay off all outstanding student loan debt. But then what happens going forward? He's said (and this is from an article by him in Fortune Magazine).

While that's nice for the people attending, all those places are pretty full up already, so most students are still going to have to pay for their education, and large portions of that will also likely be debt financed. So what happens down the line with that debt? Has he said anything about that?

You mean the existing students? What happens with them? Their current debt is wiped by the legislation and the next quarter/semester they attend after the legislation passes is free. I don't see the problem.

Edit: And for anyone in something like a grad program or something else that isn't completely covered, interest rates will be capped at 1.88%. For comparison, the rate on my federal student loans is 7%.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 10, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Typo posted:

Income: <50K:

Sanders: 20
Warren: 25

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

'sanders does better among the poor than among the rich' is not saying 'he does better than warren among the poor,' it is saying 'his results with poor people are higher than his results with rich people.' likewise, saying warren does worst among poor people does not mean she is weaker than sanders among the poor, it is that her lowest result comes from the poor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Endorph fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 10, 2019

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Student loans are non-dischargable so them having an interest rate over 2% is literally just usury, I support any movement to knock them out.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

first, it's not quite the government "paying off" student loan debt since iirc like 95% of student loan debt is owed to the federal government, and just like any other creditor the government can forgive the debt if it feels like it

second, i am not sure what you mean when you quote a quote that says "we will make public colleges tuition free" and then say "but how will people pay for tuition?" if you are predicting that the public colleges will get full and some students will be forced to go to private colleges that are not tuition free, the solution is to hire more teachers and open more schools.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Grapplejack posted:

Student loans are non-dischargable so them having an interest rate over 2% is literally just usury, I support any movement to knock them out.

Charging over 0% interest is usury

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
:rip: us I guess

https://twitter.com/michaelschwab13/status/1148770279155523584

this city is ruined forever now

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Good news guys, the best candidate of them all has wandered in!

https://twitter.com/tomsteyer/status/1148579342680637440?s=21

gently caress, the roll is getting bigger since the debate?

E: Heh, that tweet is ratio'd.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Wicked Them Beats posted:

You mean the existing students? What happens with them? Their current debt is wiped by the legislation and the next quarter/semester they attend after the legislation passes is free. I don't see the problem.

Edit: And for anyone in something like a grad program or something else that isn't completely covered, interest rates will be capped at 1.88%. For comparison, the rate on my federal student loans is 7%.

I mean the new students who don't go to a public school or HBE? Because according to that Fortune article, it's only going to be education at state schools, trade schools, and HBUs that's going to be free for students. So, say Sanders gets elected in 2020 and Congress passes the bill on inauguration day 2021. So then, lets say I'm high school class of 2021, and go to college in fall of 2021. I don't go to a state school or an HBU, so I've got to pay tuition, which I can't afford, so I have to take out loans. Are you saying that those loans will capped at 1.88% interest?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Shear Modulus posted:

second, i am not sure what you mean when you quote a quote that says "we will make public colleges tuition free" and then say "but how will people pay for tuition?" if you are predicting that the public colleges will get full and some students will be forced to go to private colleges that are not tuition free, the solution is to hire more teachers and open more schools.

The public colleges are full now, and budgets there are being cut.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I do think it's legitimate to criticize Bernie's plan for not banning private schools

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Epicurius posted:

I mean the new students who don't go to a public school or HBE? Because according to that Fortune article, it's only going to be education at state schools, trade schools, and HBUs that's going to be free for students. So, say Sanders gets elected in 2020 and Congress passes the bill on inauguration day 2021. So then, lets say I'm high school class of 2021, and go to college in fall of 2021. I don't go to a state school or an HBU, so I've got to pay tuition, which I can't afford, so I have to take out loans. Are you saying that those loans will capped at 1.88% interest?

the sanders-omar-jayapal bill caps interest on student loans at the rate the government pays for its debt, which they quote as currently 1.88%. not sure if this is only public or private loans, but again nearly all student debt, even for people who go to private schools, is owed to the government. the privately-held school debt is mainly owed by students who were preyed on by predatory for-profit schools

Epicurius posted:

The public colleges are full now, and budgets there are being cut.

the tax on wall street included in the bill would raise an absurd amount of money. the money goes to the states to spend on, among other things, building more schools and hiring more faculty

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/gindaanis/status/1148400437332045824?s=19

https://twitter.com/gindaanis/status/1148400440196784128?s=19

As far as I can tell it's still

Bernie > Warren > giant meteor > that self help lady > the cop > Booker > Castro

Am I missing anything?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

marianne is good

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Shear Modulus posted:

the tax on wall street included in the bill would raise an absurd amount of money. the money goes to the states to spend on, among other things, building more schools and hiring more faculty

The bill seems to anticipate a 25% increase in enrollment, I believe?

quote:

PROJECTED ENROLLMENT.—If the projected full-time equivalent eligible students figure of the State or eligible Indian entity under subparagraph (A) is more than 25 percent larger than the full-time equivalent eligible students figure for the preceding year, the Secretary may challenge such enrollment projection and offer an alternative enrollment projection which shall be used in the formula under subparagraph (A) for determining the allotment.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

https://twitter.com/gindaanis/status/1148400437332045824?s=19

https://twitter.com/gindaanis/status/1148400440196784128?s=19

As far as I can tell it's still

Bernie > Warren > giant meteor > that self help lady > the cop > Booker > Castro

Am I missing anything?

You forgot the Gravel teens. Also, drat, I thought I heard Castro come out of the debate looking good, how is he behind Booker of all people?

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Shear Modulus posted:

warren was building political capital by not running in 2016

More like there wasn't a 2020 candidate that was intimidating enough to deter other candidates from entering. Like if Bernie's organization had displayed sufficient organizing strength it could have cleared the field early on and deterred a Warren run.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
yeah I’d swap Harris and Castro

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Epicurius posted:

It took me a whopping minute and a half to find the plan. Some of the measures proposed include:
  • cutting student loan interest rates in half, and imposing a hard cap on student loan interest rates
  • giving student debt holders the ability to refinance their loans at the current interest rates at any time
  • bans the federal government from making a profit off student loans
  • requires the states to cover the cost of degrees for low-income students, even if they don't attend public schools
  • provides federal matching dollars to any additional spending states put toward reducing the cost of college
  • expands the work-study program and a number of other financial aid programs for low-income students, allowing those programs to cover several million more people

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
still fully believing that the main reason for this 2020 clown-car-con-clusterfuck is because 2016 was the clintons cashing in 40 years of favors strongarming people into putting off running in '16 until 2020

so thanks yet again, hilldawg

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Giant Meteor 2020, not only will it keep its promises but it'll plow right through congressional gridlock and being its agenda home to everyday Americans.

Craig K posted:

still fully believing that the main reason for this 2020 clown-car-con-clusterfuck is because 2016 was the clintons cashing in 40 years of favors strongarming people into putting off running in '16 until 2020

so thanks yet again, hilldawg

That didn't help, but the main reason for the massive field is that everyone assumes running against Trump in 2020 is a free win.

It's not, but that's the sentiment of the political and donor class.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 10, 2019

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/1148549603387744256?s=19

(Following tweet mentions a 5-10% MOE)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Yeah, we talked about this before. That MoE is huge, this poll is basically useless; interesting curiosity, though.