Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Been rumoured for a while but BJW finally confirmed they're bringing in "Big" Michael Elgin.

oh god no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

dsriggs posted:

That... doesn't seem smart.

its plan B since they can't get their guys on US shows without having ICE supersoldiers mug the ring.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

it makes sense when you consider AEW is likely going to be running shows there too, along with its TV presence.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I hope they do it on a barge in the River Thames in front of Parliament. That'd be good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

STONE COLD 64 posted:

it makes sense when you consider AEW is likely going to be running shows there too, along with its TV presence.

I think the concern is that it might end up like Dragon Gate UK

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

A cool thing you could do would be to film two weeks of Dynamite and a PPV in the UK and run a couple OWE spot shows in between to take advantage of flying your guys out for that long and make it feel like special events. Do a whole tour including Ireland, a big cool interpromotional thing.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

STONE COLD 64 posted:

A cool thing you could do would be to film two weeks of Dynamite and a PPV in the UK and run a couple OWE spot shows in between to take advantage of flying your guys out for that long and make it feel like special events. Do a whole tour including Ireland, a big cool interpromotional thing.

I like the idea but I'm not sure they're up to this logistically yet? Feels like they're still working out kinks production wise. Nothing wildly embarrassing, but still noticeable

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think the concern is that it might end up like Dragon Gate UK
Context?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ditch posted:

Context?

My understanding is DGUK shows drew poorly after a hot debut and the company basically got abandoned.

Nothing juicy that I recall

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I mean if they do it right and link it closely with WOS and AEW then it might have a chance of sustaining itself. Might.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Today was Riki Choshu's retirement show. Dunno if it was streamed anywhere, but I do know it was broadcasted in theaters

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypMa-frK7Xs

Sanshiro Takagi, Danshoku Dino, Kota Ibushi and Shigehiro Irie talking about Dino's character. Irie flat out saying he thinks it's bad and offensive to gay people is interesting given I think he was still contracted to DDT at this point. If Takagi isn't lying when he said Dino is actually gay it makes it a little less bad than when I thought Dino was a straight guy playing a part.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

KungFu Grip posted:

Today was Riki Choshu's retirement show. Dunno if it was streamed anywhere, but I do know it was broadcasted in theaters

I knew his name and that he was a legend but didn't really know the specifics, I kind of assumed he had already retired at some point and was shocked when he was showing up at DDT back in March. Old as he was, still got a cool lariat. I guess DDT's Yuki Ueno managed to impress and got on the retirement show; good for him, looking forward to his & Naomi's challenge for the tag belts.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

PublicOpinion posted:

I knew his name and that he was a legend but didn't really know the specifics, I kind of assumed he had already retired at some point and was shocked when he was showing up at DDT back in March. Old as he was, still got a cool lariat. I guess DDT's Yuki Ueno managed to impress and got on the retirement show; good for him, looking forward to his & Naomi's challenge for the tag belts.

he first retired in 1998

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Ah, that kind of retirement.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypMa-frK7Xs

Sanshiro Takagi, Danshoku Dino, Kota Ibushi and Shigehiro Irie talking about Dino's character. Irie flat out saying he thinks it's bad and offensive to gay people is interesting given I think he was still contracted to DDT at this point. If Takagi isn't lying when he said Dino is actually gay it makes it a little less bad than when I thought Dino was a straight guy playing a part.

glad sami is continuing to rub off on shige

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is DDT good? What are they like compared to other Japanese promotions?

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Schneider Heim posted:

Imagine if WWE went full tilt crazy. But, like, in a fun way.

Also the workrate isn't too bad either.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

They're very fun and their Mania Weekend Coming to America show is still prob my fav event of any promotion this year in terms of consistent entertainment and quality

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Sometimes the comedy leans on Gay Sex Funny and becomes tiresome, but only really progresses to intolerable when Maku Donaruto gets booked. I really like the rest of it and Endo has had a banger of a run as champ. I'm kind of rooting for him to retain at Peter Pan.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Schneider Heim posted:

DDT rules

so does TJPW

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Stone Pitbull 141 posted:

Imagine if WWE went full tilt crazy. But, like, in a fun way.

Also the workrate isn't too bad either.

That's all I need to know, I guess!

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Here's a match that shows some of DDT's serious side. Tetsuya Endo (red corner, tiny trunks) vs. Akito (blue corner, shorts).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ6KZGHd7eA

People always talk about wrestlers who could work a match with an inanimate object, but DDT actually does it. Yoshihiko is the famous one, but here's Kazuki Hirata facing a delayed-entry handicap match where the opposing team includes only one actual human.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCu6Xe8SebA

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
DDT is fantastic. Even if the comedy isn't your thing, they have a strong roster for solid upper card matches. What I really like about DDT is how they have a sense of play, for lack of a better term, that you don't really find in other promotions as large as they are. Like they just had an excellent event that pit their stable All Out against visiting wrestlers from Sendai Girls; every match on the show was intergender, and it ended in a trios match between six people who'd all just finished wrestling wild singles matches. It sounds gimmicky, but honestly it's my show of the year so far.

Either way, I think the first month of a DDT Universe subscription is still totally free, so might as well check it out.

PublicOpinion posted:

Sometimes the comedy leans on Gay Sex Funny and becomes tiresome, but only really progresses to intolerable when Maku Donaruto gets booked.

Oh good, I was starting to think I was the only person who doesn't like this guy. All the worst parts of Danshoku Dieno's gimmick with none of Dieno's legitimate charisma or comic ability.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 2, 2019

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:siren: holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1146951791692668928

quote:

Joe Lanza just confirmed on the Voices of Wrestling Patreon Dragon Gate will be introducing English commentary at the Kobe World show on July 21. The color commentator will be Larry Dallas. The play-by-play is still up in the air, but the rumor is it will be MLW Fusion Commentator Rich Bocchini. It looks like it is just a one-show deal right now, there's no commitment to any further commentary beyond the Kobe World show at this point. It's basically a trial run.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Dick Togo vs Antonio Honda from DDT in 2011 is a serious MOTDC

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Fauxhawk Express posted:

https://www.ddtpro.com/universe/videos/6406 this one? Because I watched it and yeah, it rules. I haven't really gone into the archives very much so I mostly know Honda for the comedy but that's a real drat solid wrestling match. Immediately before it on the card was Kenny & Ibushi vs. HARASHIMA & KUDO so that was another pretty fun one to watch.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I'd go further and call it the greatest match of all time

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

More details https://www.orientalwrestlingentertainment.com/uk

5-day tour in September; at The Dome in London on the 18th and 19th, at The Black-E in Liverpool from the 20th through the 22nd

There's a tag tournament scheduled and the first confirmed teams are Stronghearts (CIMA, El Lindaman and T-Hawk), Gym Nasty Boys (Timmy Lou Retton and White Mike), and Arrows of Hungary (Icarus and Dover)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

wait I thought Larry Dallas was in jail for being a sex pest?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

With the announcement of NJPW's East Coast tour now I want DDT to do it so they can dance Tokyo Go on top of the ECW Arena...

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Keiji Mutoh is returning to AJPW for a tour in September. Ikemen is also announced

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/dragongate_pro/status/1148234551501524992

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

So is this where Ben-k becomes DG ace? I've heard he's been groomed and Neville might be ready to go to AEW now, and this is an opportunity to drop the belt...

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

1AM est start time not terrible.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

So is this where Ben-k becomes DG ace? I've heard he's been groomed and Neville might be ready to go to AEW now, and this is an opportunity to drop the belt...

That seems the likely outcome, yes, since he got kicked out of R.E.D. at Dead or Alive he went undefeated through King of Gate, knocking off Kzy in the semi & Eita in the final, picked up an ally in Shun Skywalker and they've been tagging against PAC and another member of R.E.D. through the current Rainbow Gate tour. Currently their record together against R.E.D. teams with Pac in them is 4-0, they are 7-0 against other R.E.D. teams, and in total on this tour as a tag team are 12-0. So it'd probably be pretty deflating if he doesn't win.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

yes on the former (wrote about it: https://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2019/07/08/ben-k-the-ace-that-was-promised/)

creative differences are 99% a cover for other issues with pac.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/b3rt4/status/1148565236368232448?s=19

Little man. Big draw.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
ex new japan star is a draw :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN