Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

tithin posted:

Hey, convinced the wife to buy the game and start playing on Tonberry with me, only it's marked as a congested realm?

Any idea what sort of timeframe there is for that to be turned off so we can play together?

It'll probably stay congested for another month or so, then open up as the initial 5.0 rush is over. Something similar happened during SB. If your wife wants to start now, she can make a character on any elemental server and then you can use the world visit system to be on the same server. You just can't be in the same FC or Linkshells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Hello, new player questions:

I'm new with my Lancer, lvl 15. My last MSQ was lvl 12. I keep hearing people talk about them, as well as MSQ experience. Should I generally be doing every quest I see, or is it better for me to push forward with these MSQs and bypassing those fetch quests?

How do you get tradeskills? Should I be doing this as I level or is it generally a thing people do at/near the cap?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

SonicRulez posted:

Hell of a climax.

Computer, enhance!

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Is Garlemalde confirmed as 6.0 or is it just speculation. I've seen it posted several times as if it's fact.

If we do go to Garlemalde I hope they take a page from FFXV and have it be super hosed up there from some sort of mini calamity. I would be a little disappointed going from the crazy poo poo in the first to just a magitek imperial setting.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Ashrik posted:

I'm new with my Lancer, lvl 15. My last MSQ was lvl 12. I keep hearing people talk about them, as well as MSQ experience. Should I generally be doing every quest I see, or is it better for me to push forward with these MSQs and bypassing those fetch quests?

How do you get tradeskills? Should I be doing this as I level or is it generally a thing people do at/near the cap?

Just do the MSQ until it passes your level. For me I did nothing but MSQ after level 20 and didn’t fall behind until 51 or 52. If the MSQ out levels you just do a leveling roulette. They give an crazy amount of xp. Also if you didn’t know the quests with the plus signs unlock things so don’t pass those.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Good lord all the little quests after completing 2.0 are obnoxious. Some of them "complete" after you unlock the hard version of the old dungeon in the duty finder, some of them require you to complete the hard version to finish the "quest" and some just straight up unlock immediately. :psyduck:

I am assuming this is something to do with the way that ARR was cobbled together from the corpse of a much shittier game or something?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DrNutt posted:

Good lord all the little quests after completing 2.0 are obnoxious. Some of them "complete" after you unlock the hard version of the old dungeon in the duty finder, some of them require you to complete the hard version to finish the "quest" and some just straight up unlock immediately. :psyduck:

I am assuming this is something to do with the way that ARR was cobbled together from the corpse of a much shittier game or something?

More or less. The 2.x series is really, really rough, and they were trying to pad the patch play time to give the dev's a bit of a breather. Things pick up a ton, imo, around the 2.4 quests, when you go back to Coerthas.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

DrNutt posted:

The "hard" versions of old dungeons are actually just new dungeons set in old locations. They generally have all new layouts and bosses.

A lot of the hard modes for ARR trials require you to finish them to complete the quests, but from Heavensward on, the quest just compete once you unlock the hard mode and don't actually require you to do them.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

DrNutt posted:

FYI you don’t have to do any of those. The only hard mode required is I think when moving from 2.4 to 2.5 they gate it behind three hard mode primal fights.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
finished the story today. i wasn't sure they were going to top HW any time soon after stormblood happened. then shadowbringers was really good even before the first dungeon, and now here we are and they totally did it lmao

now all we need is a raid that isn't just "here's a string of random bosses, have fun" bullshit, and it seems like we might get that too

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Omega rules though.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'm really curious what the other bosses in the Eden raid will be. I wonder if they'll all be FF8 based.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SirSamVimes posted:

Omega rules though.

the fights were well designed, everything else was strictly worse than coil/alex tho.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Tainen posted:

Just do the MSQ until it passes your level. For me I did nothing but MSQ after level 20 and didn’t fall behind until 51 or 52. If the MSQ out levels you just do a leveling roulette. They give an crazy amount of xp. Also if you didn’t know the quests with the plus signs unlock things so don’t pass those.

I have literally passed on every single one of those

my god what have I done

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

tithin posted:

my god what have I done

I did the same and missed unlocking the challenge log until level 49 when you are supposed to get it around 15.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Jumping on the bandwagon

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

tithin posted:

my god what have I done

You can safely ignore any of them called "Leves of [location]" though.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So what's going on with Monk? People were poo-pooing it in FC chat. Feels like every expansion people play the job and a couple weeks later announce that it's kind of in a bad place (again or no). Only other class that gets this hot-cold treatment is the Machinist.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder how confused those champions from beyond the rift where when they were summoned to fight Hades in a random void?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jimbot posted:

So what's going on with Monk? People were poo-pooing it in FC chat. Feels like every expansion people play the job and a couple weeks later announce that it's kind of in a bad place (again or no). Only other class that gets this hot-cold treatment is the Machinist.
Its damage is fine but it's not fun to play and nothing they do to it fixes that

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

funkymonks posted:

Is Garlemalde confirmed as 6.0 or is it just speculation. I've seen it posted several times as if it's fact.

If we do go to Garlemalde I hope they take a page from FFXV and have it be super hosed up there from some sort of mini calamity. I would be a little disappointed going from the crazy poo poo in the first to just a magitek imperial setting.

It's idle speculation, but it's also the next obvious place to go both in terms of setting and overall plot. Ilsabard is huge and has been completely obscured from maps since the game's release, so it's prime for whatever weird poo poo they want to do to follow off of ShB's story. They won't do another "travel to alternate plane of existence" expansion right after ShB, so it's either Ilsabard, Meracydia, or the New World (which, to be frank, seems like a place you'd leave for developing the next biggest threat after Garlemald instead of hopping over to there and back).

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jimbot posted:

MMO nerds have strong opinions.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Ashrik posted:

as mentioned, the blue plus quests unlock more content - here's a list for ARR stuff https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

technically it's more efficient to do quests on your highest leveled job because the exp earned from quests doesn't get boosted by the armory bonus, but if you don't, who cares

e: oh, and do the hall of the novice if you ain't yet, gives good gear and an exp+ ring

Rhonne posted:

I wonder how confused those champions from beyond the rift where when they were summoned to fight Hades in a random void?

"loving sweet, second chance points"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Rhonne posted:

I'm really curious what the other bosses in the Eden raid will be. I wonder if they'll all be FF8 based.

GIVE US LUNATIC PANDORA!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Dancer is good. My dancer in particular, but also the job in general.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

funkymonks posted:

Pulled straight from asses. It could be, we could go somewhere else, hell it's entirely possible we wrap up the totality of the Garlean story in the patches of 5.x, the entire nation is held together by racism and duct tape. One solid blow and it could all start to come down.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rhonne posted:

{Don't worry about it.}

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I know one thing for sure post-2.0: I am never using another terrestrial mount now that I have Magitek Armor CHUNG CHUNG

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Hope I'm not too late for the :bandwagon:.

Everything from Lv78 on was a non-stop high and XIV is now in my top 3 Final Fantasies.

Post-credits spoiler:
My hope for Zenos is that he goes through all the hassle of awakening Zodiark, tries to hijack him like Shinryu, and gets immediately eaten for his troubles.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Everyone having fun and posting their epic WoL moment in this thread is so great. I love this expansion. :allears:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Also jumping on the bandwagon

I will never spend a better 3 dollars.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 10, 2019

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Truga posted:

the fights were well designed, everything else was strictly worse than coil/alex tho.

It was pretty much self-contained but I thought it was fairly well written. Alpha is cool and it was good to have Nero around since he’s the best. I think Omega also ended up as a real solid antagonist even if it started as kinda generic.

Though maybe I only think of it highly in comparison with the Ivalice raid.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

DrNutt posted:

I know one thing for sure post-2.0: I am never using another terrestrial mount now that I have Magitek Armor CHUNG CHUNG

Maggie is very satisfying but when you end up in zones without max mount speed, it's loving interminable. The few other mounts I have seem much faster just by virtue of the animation and now that I'm in HW zones, I cannot abide how plodding the Armor feels.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It was pretty much self-contained but I thought it was fairly well written. Alpha is cool and it was good to have Nero around since he’s the best. I think Omega also ended up as a real solid antagonist even if it started as kinda generic.

Though maybe I only think of it highly in comparison with the Ivalice raid.

Everything seems better compared to that.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I will never spend a better 3 dollars.

:allears:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Monk is a very much like-it-or-leave-it kind of Job. The core mechanics of it have been pretty consistent since ARR and suffice to say, if you don't like those, you don't like it. I started the game with it, and I'm still playing it, but I can see how people don't like it too. So it's not BAD the way MCH was last expansion, it's just...the same as it ever was.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I loved the Ivalice raids, at least for fight design. I haven't beaten XII yet so I dunno much about the story. I skipped most of it until Fran came along.

Omega was great. I love roadtripping through past FFs.

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
(Endgame Spoiler)
Regarding 5.1 or 5.2 chat, I'm really hoping for something like these guys are our next Warriors of Light, maybe reformed echos of the prior warriors of darkness. A nice council-style fight would be neat for once.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I just wanted to let you know that you've taken the best screenshot in this thread.

Followed pretty closely by

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is there no Level 70 job quest Dancer armor? I just finished the quest, and I got Technical Step but no armor. I guess the only reason I assumed I'd get new armor is that Monk got equipment at level 50 and 60, so I figured all jobs did.