Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol that their water feature failed and they put in blue carpet

I'd stay there for a week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
oh, it works

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I stand corrected. A masterpiece.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

luxury handset posted:

yall ever want to visit Fred Flintstone's dream palace?

I'm hearing Fred's voice "heh, heh, heh eh, Barney." This house makes me hate Boomers and I AM ONE. Also, not gonna lie about it, I do like the rocky bathroom.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

I'm hearing Fred's voice "heh, heh, heh eh, Barney." This house makes me hate Boomers and I AM ONE. Also, not gonna lie about it, I do like the rocky bathroom.

It really goes the distance.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

The second picture, of the....shuffleboard table? something? reminds me a lot of a hotel I went to with my family a couple times when I was a kid so I like it.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

It's tacky as hell (especially that hallway), but I'd gladly kill the owner to live there, so who am I to judge

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Draxion posted:

The second picture, of the....shuffleboard table? something? reminds me a lot of a hotel I went to with my family a couple times when I was a kid so I like it.

unironically want that shuffleboard table.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, that shuffleboard table owns. I wouldn't want to live in that place full-time, but it'd be a great vacation rental.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

We have some hotels around here with themed rooms. It looks like one of those sized up to a house size.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Really happy I'm not the only one defending the shuffleboard table.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Here is some eye candy since I feel like I only post fugly houses itt
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/26-Malvern-Ave-Richmond-VA-23221/12553401_zpid/

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

luxury handset posted:

Fred Flinstone's dream palace is off I-280 in California and I won't hear otherwise. :colbert:

Apparently the current owner has gone completely bonkers over the fact that it's nicknamed "the Flintstone House" and has actually covered the property in Flintstones and dinosaur statues that the city is suing her to get rid of. :lol:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Both quite helpful as well. I'll report back once I pull one of the face plates off and take a look at the back.

I'm also going to post a picture of my newly painted room with new sputnik chandelier once I get it hung.

I swear, you and your 1800’s house full of brilliantly preserved period features that you seem to merely tolerate at best, and otherwise wish you could replace. :allears:

It’s like you’re this thread’s resident dad from Billy Elliot/Zoolander/King of the Hill/every LGBTQ family dramedy ever, except that you actually chose to buy that house. You’re the dude who chances on a remarkably well-preserved E30 3 series for a steal and then Kramers into a BMW enthusiast forum looking for advice on how to ‘stance’ it.

I think I love you.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Draxion posted:

the house completely nails the whole "reasonably priced family resort with an indoor waterpark and laser tag" aesthetic

but it is definitely a large single family estate and not the lobby of something called Bear Mountain Adventures

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

luxury handset posted:

the house completely nails the whole "reasonably priced family resort with an indoor waterpark and laser tag" aesthetic

but it is definitely a large single family estate and not the lobby of something called Bear Mountain Adventures

Pls don’t steal the name of my new gay adult tabletop RPG property thanks

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/26-Malvern-Ave-Richmond-VA-23221/12553401_zpid/

It's perfect.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

luxury handset posted:

Probably would....

But that exterior maintenance would be a nightmare.
I'd be spending so much time staining/sealing/whatever and by the time I finished, I'd have to get right back on it at the spot where I started....

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I swear, you and your 1800’s house full of brilliantly preserved period features that you seem to merely tolerate at best, and otherwise wish you could replace. :allears:

It’s like you’re this thread’s resident dad from Billy Elliot/Zoolander/King of the Hill/every LGBTQ family dramedy ever, except that you actually chose to buy that house. You’re the dude who chances on a remarkably well-preserved E30 3 series for a steal and then Kramers into a BMW enthusiast forum looking for advice on how to ‘stance’ it.

I think I love you.

Listen

buddy

I'm not trying to replace all the original components, merely revitalize them so that the whole place doesn't feel so neglected. I'm going to do my best to keep the truly original fixtures. I genuinely like all our original radiators, for instance. (And I'd drive the hell out of an original E30 3 series unmodified.)

As for the door handles/plates, here's how they look on the back:

And the current face, for reference:

Is baking soda and lemon juice on the front going to get me a truer brass appearance?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

luxury handset posted:

I unironically want a Game Lodge themed room/office/basement lounge of some sort when I have a larger space. However, this is a bit too much Gander Mountain Closeout Special for my tastes.

I currently have a Tiki/maritime kitch bar and boardgames corner going, it's my pride and joy.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Youth Decay posted:

That's a lot of very old style color palate for an entirely custom house.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

I unironically want a Game Lodge themed room/office/basement lounge of some sort when I have a larger space.

I think what you mean is that you want a cabin. You want a cabin. You do not want to buy a larger home in which to partially replicate the feel and aesthetic of a cabin in (I assume) the suburbs.

You want a cabin.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

I'm not trying to replace all the original components, merely revitalize them so that the whole place doesn't feel so neglected. I'm going to do my best to keep the truly original fixtures. I genuinely like all our original radiators, for instance. (And I'd drive the hell out of an original E30 3 series unmodified.)

Except so far you’ve talked about ripping out all the original, perfect woodwork and replacing the door hardware because you don’t like the patina. Those are not things that make a house look neglected, they make it look well-preserved. My house is 115 years old and I bought it as a foreclosure after it sat on the market for 4 years. I’d be happy to show you photos of what actual neglect looks like. You seem to value modernity over craftsmanship and character, and it’s a huge loving bummer.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Melicious posted:

Except so far you’ve talked about ripping out all the original, perfect woodwork and replacing the door hardware because you don’t like the patina. Those are not things that make a house look neglected, they make it look well-preserved. My house is 115 years old and I bought it as a foreclosure after it sat on the market for 4 years. I’d be happy to show you photos of what actual neglect looks like. You seem to value modernity over craftsmanship and character, and it’s a huge loving bummer.

TBF I think you're being a tad unfair to the OP here.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Melicious posted:

Oh nooo is this the same person that wanted to rip out all that nice old trim? Sad

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Melicious posted:

This, but the opposite. Don't feel bad about getting rid of outdated poo poo if you don't like it. Paint over the wood trim and maybe get some new, modern door handles?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Enchanted Hat posted:

This, but the opposite. Don't feel bad about getting rid of outdated poo poo if you don't like it. Paint over the wood trim and maybe get some new, modern door handles?

:chloe:

can't buy taste I guess

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I left the drat woodwork in place and I'm trying to restore brass door handles to brass you goober

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Listen

buddy

Is baking soda and lemon juice on the front going to get me a truer brass appearance?

Try it on a patch that's not that visible and see what you think.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I left the drat woodwork in place and I'm trying to restore brass door handles to brass you goober

They were never raw brass. That's forced/chemical patina.

But do whatever you want.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah, that’s not how brass tarnishes naturally indoors and especially with regular handling.

I’d leave the patina because it’s durable, but if you want to make it shiny, I don’t think that’s a sin.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Listen

buddy

Looking again, I'd upgrade to a commercial cleaner like Brasso. If it's a forced patina like Motronic thinks, then you might have to just sand it off to get to the bronze underneath.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

OH god, that smell

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Enchanted Hat posted:

Old houses are extremely not my poo poo. I'm into modern stuff all the way. But original features are irreplaceable and have value. I just wouldn't buy a hundred year old house with original trim if I hated the trim.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I don't necessarily think it's forced patina, if it's really as old as the house that's plenty of time to develop a thick natural patina. I do think shiny brass and medium stained wood are not going to look any better, and definitely not any more modern, than patinaed brass, and also that you'll need something between a buffer and a belt sander to get all the tarnish off anyway. If you really hate the current look, maybe try just changing the knobs? Crystal or porcelain would look nice and shouldn't be too hard to find.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
It's definitely a forced patina unless no one was able to use the doorknob, well, ever.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Who doesn't want to fill their bathtub to the sound of a horse pissing off a bridge?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It's definitely a forced patina unless no one was able to use the doorknob, well, ever.

For comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Chitin posted:

Old houses are extremely not my poo poo. I'm into modern stuff all the way. But original features are irreplaceable and have value. I just wouldn't buy a hundred year old house with original trim if I hated the trim.

Yes, this. I’m not against modern style or design, but it’s a shame to just waste these things that add character and have nothing wrong with them.

Of course everyone is free to do with their house as they want, but one only needs to look at the Wolfenstein bathroom to see that the time, effort, and cost of renovation doesn’t always make for a net gain.

I’m glad you’re leaving the wood. I don’t know that you’ll have any success getting a finish you’ll like with the knobs, but go for it. I just think things like paint, wall art, window treatments, and furniture are going to do a lot more in terms of making a place look current than messing around with this stuff.