Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Here's my jam level.

You used to have to deliver a pizza in 30 minutes or less. Mario has to deliver a POW block in 30 seconds or less.

https://twitter.com/BorlandCorp/status/1148770281952931840?s=19

POWza Delivery in 30 Seconds or < - 4J6 LV5 0JF

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/LastdancerRS/status/1148769509055946758

0Q8-7YY-YLG

So this is a Multiplayer Versus course, and I kind of lost faith in what I was doing with it at the end. I spent a lot of time scrapping ideas and re-doing sections and I think I may have put too many coins but I wanted a coin clear requirement and I didn't want problems if two or more people took the same path.

Anyway, if anyone wants to give it a go here it is. I think I'm done making huge courses for a while.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Got a weird comment on my Jam level that made it sound like the player had found an exploit but we decided in the Discord he just didn't realize coins from pipes weren't infinite probably. Comment was "level mechanics can be bypassed by waiting for the pipe" so if anyone can find any other interpretation for that comment or can find an actual exploit please let me know!

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd8zqsZb9T0

I'm gonna be banned from mario maker

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Wendell posted:

I believe you would do a tiny hop. Small enough to avoid landing on the dotted floor. A half button press, if you will.

Ya know, I tried that many times, but I guess I’m just not good enough.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Inherent Risk of All Koopa Army
LY5-SJH-67G

I just wanted to take a break from a bigger level I'm working on so I threw this together. It's pretty short and easy but I think it's okay.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Lobster posted:

Got a weird comment on my Jam level that made it sound like the player had found an exploit but we decided in the Discord he just didn't realize coins from pipes weren't infinite probably. Comment was "level mechanics can be bypassed by waiting for the pipe" so if anyone can find any other interpretation for that comment or can find an actual exploit please let me know!

That sounds like what he was talking about. Pipes and launchers with coins eject thirty coins total per instances of them (so you can reset by going in and out of a door or pipe) and I didn't think it was a big deal to have it there. Treasure collecting levels improve when there's lots of optional ways to collect money, especially when some of them are slower than others.

(I have been leaving a few prank comments for fun but that one isn't one of mine.)

Dork457 posted:

I'm looking up that level code specifically to report it and get you banned.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 10, 2019

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Dork457 posted:

Wow, that was perfect.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'm streaming Super Mario Maker again! Some expert, maybe story, and then viewer levels. Come watch!

https://www.twitch.tv/cartridgeblowers

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Dork457 posted:

I’ve listened to enough podcasts to feel this level in my bones. :wtc:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Dork457 posted:

I laughed and laughed and laughed at this and my dad asked what was so funny and I showed him and he didn't get it.

Random Stranger posted:

That sounds like what he was talking about. Pipes and launchers with coins eject thirty coins total per instances of them (so you can reset by going in and out of a door or pipe) and I didn't think it was a big deal to have it there. Treasure collecting levels improve when there's lots of optional ways to collect money, especially when some of them are slower than others.

(I have been leaving a few prank comments for fun but that one isn't one of mine.)

Aha! Yes! I did not realize they reset!

You know if you want to sit there and go in and out of a pipe or door over and over at one of my chimneys over and over until you get 250 coins, more power to you. At least I know now it's actually impossible to softlock on my stage.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 10, 2019

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Here's my jam level.

You used to have to deliver a pizza in 30 minutes or less. Mario has to deliver a POW block in 30 seconds or less.

POWza Delivery in 30 Seconds or < - 4L6 LV5 0JF

I have completed the POW Pizza training and I am ready to work

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Random Stranger posted:

Porcupuffer Pond
4DV-YSX-88G
By: ThisIsACoolGuy

Nifty stage with the way it switches up a few time.

<[EMERGENCY ESCAPE]>
QPB-C3F-D4G
By: ThisIsACoolGuy

Okay, ThisIsACoolGuy. How did you rig the randomizer?

Missed the world record by one frame so I took that out on your level instead of complimenting its flow.

Thanks for playing! And I guess it just happens because I have 20 something levels submitted :v: .

FlashFearless posted:

#420 Purple Pipes in the Dusty Dunes

This was a good solid mario 3 level. I really liked it. Pulled a couple tricks, but nothing mean, and I felt smart when I figured out my way forward.

Really glad to hear that! I'm pretty happy with how it came out so it getting attention makes me smile.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Here's my jam level.

POWza Delivery in 30 Seconds or < - 4L6 LV5 0JF

Your level code is incorrect in the text, but I squinted and saw the actual one in the video.

Great way to use the theme and cool concept. I kept trying to put the POW down gently into the glass pipe, but it turns out you can just toss it in.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dork457 posted:

If you get banned, it was worth it.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I haven’t beat this, but for anyone that likes Super Mario World speedrun courses, this is good:
S6V-TX6-GDG

E: I beat it, and long before that it brought me such happiness.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 10, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Random Stranger posted:

Your level code is incorrect in the text, but I squinted and saw the actual one in the video.

Great way to use the theme and cool concept. I kept trying to put the POW down gently into the glass pipe, but it turns out you can just toss it in.

God drat I swear I'm going dyslexic. I've been typing capital Js as capital Ls all week

Edit: Just checked, at least I put the right code on the spreadsheet

Double edit: God drat it I got it right in the regular spreadsheet but wrong in the Game Jam submission page. Sorry Dalaran J could you change 4L6 to 4J6 on the jam?

I was literally looking at a screenshot AND piece of paper where I wrote it down while I typed it. I typed it and made the same drat mistake 3 out of 4 times

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 10, 2019

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
045-B97-2HG

Here is my new course. Mama Mia, there are missiles headed for mushroom kingdom. Are you a bad enough dude to stop them?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Good Sphere posted:

I haven’t beat this, but for anyone that likes Super Mario World speedrun courses, this is good:
S6V-TX6-GDG

I finished and liked it! Good share.

Here’s my own Mario World speed run if you’re interested: HGB-NF9-D1H

It might be too hard, I DUNNO.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Dork457 posted:

SQARESPACE

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Mega64 posted:

Just want to say between the OP, maintaining the spreadsheet, handling the Twitter account, and setting up all the jams and blitzes, you've been doing a fantastic job with this thread and making everything run smoothly. Great work!

The Lobster posted:

:agreed:

You are doing a fantastic job. I didn't think I would be back on SA after a really lovely experience I had in January but the environment you're cultivating itt is restoring my faith in the forums.

:blush: Thanks, I've been working really hard on everything, so I hope everyone is having tons of fun!

e:

Double edit: God drat it I got it right in the regular spreadsheet but wrong in the Game Jam submission page. Sorry Dalaran J could you change 4L6 to 4J6 on the jam?

Fixed it.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 10, 2019

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Wendell posted:

I finished and liked it! Good share.

Here’s my own Mario World speed run if you’re interested: HGB-NF9-D1H

It might be too hard, I DUNNO.

This rules, but yes it is very hard.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Made my first level... I like to make courses that feel kind of like Mario 64 or Odyssey stages in a 2d framework. Trying to evoke a sense of place and environment instead of abstract platforms, not terribly challenging, but engaging and pleasant. Let me know what you think!

(Edit: revised a bit, new code)
Ski-Easy Peak
0B4-414-YRF

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 11, 2019

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Wow playing endless is a pretty garbage experience.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

OneMoreTime posted:

I liked it. Some of the early jumps in the stage felt very tight, even with small Mario I was bonking into pipes in odd ways. I never felt too punitive though so it ended up being not much of a problem in the end. The end level pipe placement felt off, like I had to take damage to get into it cleanly. I did like the use of platforms in the second half the stage, I often forget about semisolid platforms and felt the platforming challenges in the latter half felt nice.

That’s good to hear. I did most of the testing as small Mario and considered the tougher jumps as big Mario to be a trade for having an extra hit, but I might not do that again in the future.

Here's my jam level.

POWza Delivery in 30 Seconds or < - 4J6 LV5 0JF

Took me a little bit to figure out what I had to do at each part ‘cause I don’t know 3D World that we’ll, but felt real good when I pulled it off.

dudeness posted:

Inherent Risk of All Koopa Army
LY5-SJH-67G

I just wanted to take a break from a bigger level I'm working on so I threw this together. It's pretty short and easy but I think it's okay.

Might not be as easy as you think! If you noticed some idiot who ran into every single koopa, that was me.

Good Sphere posted:

S6V-TX6-GDG

E: I beat it, and long before that it brought me such happiness.

Yeah that was pretty good.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Tender Bender posted:

Made my first level... I like to make courses that feel kind of like Mario 64 or Odyssey stages in a 2d framework. Trying to evoke a sense of place and environment instead of abstract platforms, not terribly challenging, but engaging and pleasant. Let me know what you think!

Ski-Easy Peak
QR7-HJG-THG

I liked your level mate. One small suggestion is to put some coins on top of the icicles on the waterwall thing because I didn't know you could jump on top of them. Also maybe add some more enemies to stomp on.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Two Beans posted:

SQARESPACE

avoidin the lawyerz

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Anybody want to look at this level?

Thwomp O'Clock
44L-Y56-0YG

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Ceave posted a great video on level design recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrFrT7-19JI&hd=1

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Messed around with the vertical level for this one and made a tower with small challenges in each room:

Climb!
GR5-1Q4-MJG

Edit:

El Diablo Bob O posted:

-The Wizard's Chamber-
VMQ-QT7-CLF

I liked this a lot! Lots of fun paths to navigate.

Flying Zamboni fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 10, 2019

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dr Pepper posted:

Anybody want to look at this level?

Thwomp O'Clock
44L-Y56-0YG

On my first run through I kept the cat suit until after the first pipe and used it to climb my way up the semi-solid walls at the start of the next section.

Right into a Thwomp that hadn't unscrolled yet.

Live by Thwomp, die by the Thwomp I guess.

But it was fun, I don't typically like autoscrollers and this was a good one.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

My Desert Trilogy continues!

Amanita Oasis
0JY-5LR-D6G

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Oh man, I just obsessed over beating two of Matt Thorson’s (creator of Celeste) levels.

The second one, Starlight Shells (PHP-GYT-VJG) nearly had me rage quitting. I went like 10-15 minutes only saying the word “motherfucker” out loud in different ways like that scene in The Wire.

Anyways, I finally beat it after probably 100 tries, which is about right since its clear rate is 1.46%.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Ski-easy Peak - I liked it, good use of verticality and I like the gentle"skiing" at the end.

Thwomp O'Clock - I liked this one too. I felt for the most part the thwomps were decently placed and only once or twice did I get hit by a thwomp off screen (once when I tried to exploit the level with cat mario, so shame on me.) One thing to note is that with those switch blocks is that they can kill thwomps, and with how some of them were placed in the autoscroller I nearly killed myself by having thwomps slowly rise into the path of a just-switching switch block. The cat suit tended to bail myself out of those situations quite well.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Mahoning posted:

Oh man, I just obsessed over beating two of Matt Thorson’s (creator of Celeste) levels.

The second one, Starlight Shells (PHP-GYT-VJG) nearly had me rage quitting. I went like 10-15 minutes only saying the word “motherfucker” out loud in different ways like that scene in The Wire.

Anyways, I finally beat it after probably 100 tries, which is about right since its clear rate is 1.46%.

I felt so smart when I figured out what I had to do, and then so dumb when I continually failed to actually do it.

The first time I made the music note jump, I proceeded to throw the shell in exactly the wrong direction. :smith:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I felt so smart when I figured out what I had to do, and then so dumb when I continually failed to actually do it.

The first time I made the music note jump, I proceeded to throw the shell in exactly the wrong direction. :smith:

Yeah I probably made it to the last section while holding the shell like 15 times and only once did I actually manage to hit the POWs with the shell because I ALWAYS threw it in the wrong direction or just didn’t throw it at all.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

The Lobster posted:

Ceave posted a great video on level design recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrFrT7-19JI&hd=1

seconding this being a really good video! especially with the emphasis on "rest points", which is something i'm absolutely noticing the lack of in many player-created mario courses (my own included, so i'm glad to be thinking about it now). people tend to make their levels very all-action go-go-go, and while that can be fun, it's also pretty exhausting for me so i don't tend to binge-play mario maker the way i could with a traditional mario game

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

https://twitter.com/aquamarinephant/status/1148814759694757889

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Arid Ascent

6P8-L83-RMG

A vertical platforming level, pretty tough (I think.) Hope you like precision enemy stomps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Got a new level:

Hidden Castle of the Ninja Moles
NNQ-W0G-PRG

Pretty self-explanatory.
I also wanted an excuse to make use of the SMB forest theme and the Ninja Attack sound effect.