Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gropemotron
Feb 20, 2011

Another dimension, new galaxy

J-Spot posted:

Course not found.

At least you got a 1-up out of it :)

Sorry, I edited and re-uploaded it based on some commentary in Discord. D69-CJR-RDF is the code now.

One of my levels is creeping up on 500 footsteps, but the rest of them are real low and not climbing much at all. I don't really get why.

Thwomp Stomp Castle, 9HQ-KR9-LHG has the most plays, I think its probably my best one but not as much as the play count is making it seem.

gropemotron fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

someone awful. posted:

seconding this being a really good video! especially with the emphasis on "rest points", which is something i'm absolutely noticing the lack of in many player-created mario courses (my own included, so i'm glad to be thinking about it now). people tend to make their levels very all-action go-go-go, and while that can be fun, it's also pretty exhausting for me so i don't tend to binge-play mario maker the way i could with a traditional mario game

I dont fully agree with rest points as described in that video since most levels are one-and-done affairs with remixed elements that everyone is mildly familiar with already, rather than brand new mechanics in a thematically cohesive world. My go-to methods are a saw wave of difficulty where the level lets off the pressure after the most challenging part of a section, and having sections where the player can sit and observe the next section or do something to set that section up, i.e. rest points that still focus on the level concept.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I uploaded my third level: Crumbling Sky Cathedral (NQ3-CCM-3QG).

Strange noises have been coming from the old Sky Cathedral. Go investigate. The passageway to the main hall is blocked by debris, but maybe you can find another way. I hope you're not afraid of heights!

I put more time into this level than my first two, so I'd love to hear some feedback. If you let me know what you think, I'd be happy to give a mini-review of one of your levels in return (just leave me your code). Mario Maker is fantastic.

Edit: Re-uploaded the level with a longer timer.

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 10, 2019

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Let's play some random acts of Mario.

Light Switch Slam
This was a lot of fun; I've never noticed that the switches control the lights. There were a few parts where I felt like the challenges were "out of order', i.e. there'd be a jump that had to be made with the lights dim, and then a similar jump where the lights were brighter, but all in all great level.

Snowpeak Descent
Is there a better feeling in Mario than sliding down a slope and killing everything in your path? Nope. I killed Boom Boom by making an icicle fall on him, which felt great. Good use of making a vertical level that's aesthetically pleasing.

Fountains o' Fish
I was promised fountains of fish and this level did not disappoint. Thank you for not including Cheep Cheeps.

Calamari Clouds, Beetle Skies
This level is like Memphis-style BBQ. By that, I mean that I respect what you are trying to do but it is not for me.

Going Galaxy
Oh my goodness, this is the most creative goon level I've seen so far. That's not a knock against anybody else; this is just that good.

AntiZorn
Sep 23, 2007
Pillbug
Uploaded a second level, traditional Mario play this time:

Touch Buzzy, Get Dizzy
QHH-R9J-BLF

No Fuzzy? Go Buzzy!

It made me really want the Yoshi's Island effect. :(

I think I posted at a bad time yesterday too since I didn't see many folks playing the last level.

Grand Theft Clowncar
BW6-B30-3HF

I've only had one person finish the level while everyone else quits after about 15 seconds. It's not exactly Kaizo level of difficult, but I guess folks have a very low threshold for playing any sort of difficult levels at the moment. :(

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

DorianGravy posted:

I uploaded my third level: Crumbling Sky Cathedral (DD4-FKS-YHF).

Strange noises have been coming from the old Sky Cathedral. Go investigate. The passageway to the main hall is blocked by debris, but maybe you can find another way. I hope you're not afraid of heights!

I put more time into this level than my first two, so I'd love to hear some feedback. If you let me know what you think, I'd be happy to give a mini-review of one of your levels in return (just leave me your code). Mario Maker is fantastic.

This is a beautiful level. The amount of time you put into this level really shows; the aesthetics of the cathedral were amazing. When I encountered the first bell I got a big smile on my face. Also, there aren't a ton of levels that make you go right to left, so it was really cool seeing that sky section where you had to backtrack to the upper left corner.

I felt like the timer could have been a bit longer, but maybe I was just going slow. I sort of cheesed the timer by dying in the boss fight and then starting from that last checkpoint with a full 299. But yeah, everything about this level is fantastic. Keep up the good work.

If you're doing reviews in return I posted a level on [url=]https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892822&userid=90307#post496594162]the last page[/url].

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

submitted my jam level:

Goomba Excavation Site - V93 HMS LSF

should fall into the "easy" or "normal" realm for the thread. I love the 8 bit desert theme - it has a lot of flexibility in all the tilesets and makes everything look cool.

so this one has a bit of a weird vibe to it, and I dunno how well I did meeting the jam theme. but this is where the mind went and I quite enjoyed making it. I guess its a more concentrated effort to try and make clearly different areas, but make the progression from one to the next more interesting.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Haschel Cedricson posted:

This is a beautiful level. The amount of time you put into this level really shows; the aesthetics of the cathedral were amazing. When I encountered the first bell I got a big smile on my face. Also, there aren't a ton of levels that make you go right to left, so it was really cool seeing that sky section where you had to backtrack to the upper left corner.

I felt like the timer could have been a bit longer, but maybe I was just going slow. I sort of cheesed the timer by dying in the boss fight and then starting from that last checkpoint with a full 299. But yeah, everything about this level is fantastic. Keep up the good work.

If you're doing reviews in return I posted a level on [url=]https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892822&userid=90307#post496594162]the last page[/url].

Oh crud, I meant to give the player plenty of time to explore. Well, I've removed the level and gave the level a max timer, since I want to give the player plenty of time to look around. Thanks for pointing that out. If anyone else wants to play, the new code is NQ3-CCM-3QG. I've updated my post above. DaralanJ, could you please update the spreadsheet with this code?

And thanks for the kind words, Haschel! Designing the bell towers was my favorite part, so I'm glad you liked it. I think that the sky tile-set is my favorite. Maybe someday I'll make a level that's not SMB3-themed, but maybe not. Of all of the Mario games, I think that one gives me the most nostalgia.

I will definitely play your level tomorrow night and give you some feedback.

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 10, 2019

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

The Lobster posted:

Ceave posted a great video on level design recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrFrT7-19JI&hd=1

Thanks for posting this it gave me an opportunity to step back and take another look at what I'm doing and how to get more in-line with the essentials. I got some inspiration back in me after that so I decided to try my hand at the second course Jam:

https://twitter.com/LastdancerRS/status/1148884650447659008

Ghostbustin' is a business, and I forget if someone's already done this for the Jam so I apologize if so, but I had an idea and I wanted to see it through! You don't end up actually catching all the ghosts but you do some trapping and you thrash the houseplants so it's pretty close to the full experience. Also the house is ~haunted~ like in the recent Blair Witch movie or something. SpoooOOOooky.

WAHOO ya gonna call?: 23N-B1S-JXF

I used this as my "timer": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSIl1NJ4h2Q

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

POWza Delivery in 30 Seconds or < - 4J6 LV5 0JF

I enjoyed the POW block gimmick from this so much I put it in my own!

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 10, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does anyone who understands the arcane magic of global blocks and loading know if its possible to make an automatic ON/OFF contraption that stays permanently loaded after triggering?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

how are people making the little level promo squares with codes and titles? is it manually screencappin' then editing?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Internet Kraken posted:

Does anyone who understands the arcane magic of global blocks and loading know if its possible to make an automatic ON/OFF contraption that stays permanently loaded after triggering?

Put it above the start point so that it always loads the shell cannon, put icicles as the "track" for the shell to travel back and forth on. Icicles are global ground and objects on them always stay loaded

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

alf_pogs posted:

how are people making the little level promo squares with codes and titles? is it manually screencappin' then editing?

Yeah using the capture button and then the built in text function on the Switch. Then sharing from the to Twitter or Facebook and downloading it

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah using the capture button and then the built in text function on the Switch. Then sharing from the to Twitter or Facebook and downloading it

oh cool didn't even think of the text function. Thanks a lot!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Put it above the start point so that it always loads the shell cannon, put icicles as the "track" for the shell to travel back and forth on. Icicles are global ground and objects on them always stay loaded

Does the On/Off switch stay global loaded as well though? I understand how you can make a shell loop infinitely with the right setup but I'm not sure how the on/off block would stay loaded.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

Neat I didn’t think about that:

In case the image doesn’t load: Bowser’s B-Team Armada, BWQ-VKM-S4G

Anyway here’s an airship level I’ve been working on for years. And by years I mean I spent a crapload of time years ago on this in MM1 before any of the updates, which would’ve helped a bunch. Copied it over to MM2...then tweaked it a bunch, from the updates cleaning things up, and from playing/testing myself a lot more and noticing various stuff that could’ve been improved. There’s little things scattered around all over the place hopefully I put enough hints this time that people actually go for them.

Final fight can be cheesed by running through...but whatevs that’s cool. You’re only cheating yourself by flying through it :colbert:. I guess considering how much of a pain in the rear end it was to get it working right (for the longest time I kept running into corner cases that broke this or that) I probably should’ve forced the player to win properly, but at the same time I guess I have a soft spot for the classic method being available there. Plus didn’t want to make it too hard or long if someone gets to that point to begin with...then again I have a checkpoint there. Oh well it’s already uploaded. Already deleted and reuploaded once cause tweaking that drat boss fight.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Dear Mario,
I'm all alone in the town of Whispering Bluffs. Come visit me! I'll be waiting for you in our "special place"...

- Peach

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

Does the On/Off switch stay global loaded as well though? I understand how you can make a shell loop infinitely with the right setup but I'm not sure how the on/off block would stay loaded.

Yeah, I did a level using it if I understand what you're asking for.

This one to be specific.

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1147144396762013696

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Oh god I just thought of the most wretched pun and now I have to make this level tonight before my common sense catches up.

At last I have arrived at the true Mario Maker creative experience.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rollersnake posted:

Dear Mario,
I'm all alone in the town of Whispering Bluffs. Come visit me! I'll be waiting for you in our "special place"...

- Peach

I'm at work and can't play right now, but I know what this means, and it's ominous as gently caress :stare: :gonk:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Wow playing endless is a pretty garbage experience.

I've played a lot of endless and I think Nintendo has been tweaking how it serves up levels on the back end.

So initially, people were pretty surprised that endless was giving them plenty of decent stages. But the quality has been declining fast and now it's garbage all the time. So I think that there was always something that made levels with a high like/play ratio have a higher probability of appearing and Nintendo turned the knob on that way down.

In addition, it used to be that levels had to have at least one like to get into Endless. Cleve posted a video about it, but even before it was uploaded that had changed since it was serving up levels without likes or even clears. So that stuff has been added to the pool and that's a lot of trash.

Finally, I'm pretty sure they've been tweaking the difficulty threshholds. At the start expert had such a huge variance in difficulty that it was unplayable. Then there was a window where it really was just a bit more difficult than normal. I haven't gone back since I got my costume part here to see if they've changed it back, but with even more garbage stages in the mix it doesn't really make me want to go.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

This was tough, but mainly because I'm bad at Mario and I kept getting impatient at the final boss fight!

Rollersnake posted:

Dear Mario,

- Peach

this is absolutely excellent, knocked it right out the goddam park

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Something I saw last night: Analog controls have some minor differences to d pad. Two examples: You can walk on floor of water while holding an item by tilting down and the direction you want to go in the right place. Can't do with d pad.

In the Clown car if you tilt only slightly backwards you will travel in that direction without turning around.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Rollersnake posted:

Dear Mario,

- Peach

Ran out of time because I didn’t think to use the big turtle until I was nearly out. Extremely well done level though! Extremely! That boss fight!

Like, how the heck did you figure out that auto scroll would hold off until then? Brilliant.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

National Parks posted:

I've been working on a new level for a couple of days:

A Stroll Through the Clouds
0XT-NQV-RVG

It's a nightime cloud course. It's a traditional level, with lots of goombas and a big cloud castle. I really like the low gravity jumps, but haven't run in to many other levels using it.
This was great! Very nicely planned out, and the underused level theme was used quite well.

Rollersnake posted:

Dear Mario,

- Peach
Utterly brilliant.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I didn't realize you could lead vertical thwomps sideways by simply staying just out of their reach.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

Wendell posted:

Like, how the heck did you figure out that auto scroll would hold off until then? Brilliant.

I also want to know this!

I had an idea for an escape chase and I couldn’t quite figure out how to make the scrolling wait until a certain trigger was hit

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
A Spooky Sprint

XX8 - RS5 - MWG

I wanted to try to make a speed run level. It's... okay I think. I feel like the flow is pretty good but I was trying to stick to the ghost house theme of the level and feel like I would have been better served using the castle or airship theme to be able to work in cannons into the level for more bouncing and enemy options. I haven't tried it yet without it, but I'm pretty sure you need to butt stump down the gaps on the side of the levels to make it through the course in time.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

I didn't realize you could lead vertical thwomps sideways by simply staying just out of their reach.

I think this is a night feature in some themes.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Can you play two player coop on the same Switch while its undocked?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah but it's kind of small

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Budget Dracula posted:

Can you play two player coop on the same Switch while its undocked?
There's same-system multiplayer, yes, but it's limited to courses that you've downloaded to Coursebot for offline play. Also: The camera isn't fantastic.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

I had an idea for an escape chase and I couldn’t quite figure out how to make the scrolling wait until a certain trigger was hit

I haven't viewed the level yet, but I suspect you break some hard blocks to start the sequence? That breaks the scroll stop, which is just a vertical bar of blocks from top to bottom.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

NofrikinfuN posted:

I haven't viewed the level yet, but I suspect you break some hard blocks to start the sequence? That breaks the scroll stop, which is just a vertical bar of blocks from top to bottom.

It was exactly that! Thank you :)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

Without playing the level to confirm it's the same, I did that in my jam stage by having a screen lock at that point made of hard blocks. When the line of hard blocks was broken to unlock the camera, scrolling started.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Wendell posted:

Someone posted a tip in the thread a few days ago that scroll stop would stop the autoscroll, and if you broke it, the autoscroll would resume. It just made me think of a stage in which the autoscroll doesn't start until you break the scroll stop, at the very end. You can see the autoscroll go for one block every time you go through a door, and I couldn't figure out how to prevent this. It would be more noticeable on a level using a slower autoscroll.

Also, I so badly wanted to have a lit bob-omb follow you out of the pipe instead of the koopa, to blow up the wall whether you're ready for it or not, but the horror effect wouldn't trigger if you were even a short distance away, which ruined the impact.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 10, 2019

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Circle Nine posted:

A Spooky Sprint

XX8 - RS5 - MWG

I wanted to try to make a speed run level. It's... okay I think. I feel like the flow is pretty good but I was trying to stick to the ghost house theme of the level and feel like I would have been better served using the castle or airship theme to be able to work in cannons into the level for more bouncing and enemy options. I haven't tried it yet without it, but I'm pretty sure you need to butt stump down the gaps on the side of the levels to make it through the course in time.

For the longest time I thought the arrow at the start must be a Ghost House Troll, because going that way has zero flow and there’s a clear pipe right next to you that leads to a perfectly flowing course. Then I finally reached the end and my worst fears come true, I had missed a red coin. Everything else flows so nicely, but I cannot figure out that short section the arrow wants me to go through.

Also, you made the same mistake I did in my second speed run, which was also a 3D World ghost house (9FP-R08-T0H): it’s too drat long! No one’s gonna want to play our courses because they are long and hard! I’ve accepted that my course is extremely niche and may never be beaten by more than the single person who has done so, but you might not like that idea.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

Dear Mario,

- Peach

this was basically a work of art. terrific from start to finish

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

DorianGravy posted:

And thanks for the kind words, Haschel! Designing the bell towers was my favorite part, so I'm glad you liked it. I think that the sky tile-set is my favorite. Maybe someday I'll make a level that's not SMB3-themed, but maybe not. Of all of the Mario games, I think that one gives me the most nostalgia.

I will definitely play your level tomorrow night and give you some feedback.

edit: sorry for double post :/

this was a great level. the belltowers are absolutely a highlight, they just feel so complete and smartly put together.

I live in terror of magikoopas and found the post-belltowers room quite difficult; sapped a few lives, but it never felt un-fun and I loved it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I came up with the name Fleet of Foot and knew I had to make a course of shoes on airships for it. It’s a non-scrolling airship level and I threw in some non-SMB3 stuff, so hooray for broadening my horizons! 65V-K1C-PFF

Now that that’s out of my head, I can play some of these cool-rear end levels here.