Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Okay I’m at the Ayesha endgame and I have a bunch of ‘help <name> out’ quests. These decide my ending right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Getsuya posted:

Okay I’m at the Ayesha endgame and I have a bunch of ‘help <name> out’ quests. These decide my ending right?

I think Ayesha was the first one that just lets you pick your ending from all the ones you've met the requirements for? So you can qualify for a bunch of them and save shortly before you hit the three years being up to reload and watch all of them.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, you have a set start to the ending sequence, a list of options, and then the individual scene plays.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

wateyad posted:

I think Ayesha was the first one that just lets you pick your ending from all the ones you've met the requirements for? So you can qualify for a bunch of them and save shortly before you hit the three years being up to reload and watch all of them.

Rorona Plus was the first to let you just pick any ending you're eligible for off a menu; unfortunately, that particular quality of life feature didn't make it into Totori or Meruru Plus.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

GulagDolls posted:

Yeah I just did the arieta one where you have to protect a bunch of villagers+snipe her before she opens a door for the mission complete. and I had no good gems on anyone because I have gamer disease and put the level up gems on everyone lol. Still doable but just, very very little margin for error.

ok....the later gems really let you run away with the game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GulagDolls posted:

ok....the later gems really let you run away with the game

did you just fine divine guidance or whatever

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
having Thoughts about playing Final Fantasy 1. Does the PS1 version have any major advantages if I find the NES graphics pretty charming? (stuff like grind reduction mainly what I'm thinking of)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

DisDisDis posted:

having Thoughts about playing Final Fantasy 1. Does the PS1 version have any major advantages if I find the NES graphics pretty charming? (stuff like grind reduction mainly what I'm thinking of)

It uses a different magic system, GBA and later ports changed it to MP.

Also uhhh.. I think NES FF1 doesn't retarget if a characters target dies before they get to act in an attack round. There could be a ROM patch for that though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

kirbysuperstar posted:

Also uhhh.. I think NES FF1 doesn't retarget if a characters target dies before they get to act in an attack round. There could be a ROM patch for that though.
You're right, the NES FF games don't auto-retarget. Get used to seeing "miss" a lot. I think every port afterwards fixed that.

It's interesting that after the GBA ports of 1 and 2 changed over from Vancian to MP, the DS port of FF3 decided to keep the original Vancian magic system. The PSX version probably also has loading times, but I think also has prerendered cutscenes.

Honestly, Dawn of Souls or the PSP port (which might also just be Dawn of Souls) is probably the best way to play the first two games nowadays. Dawn of Souls also has bonus dungeons, but I've never beaten them so I can't speak to the quality of those dungeons.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Do thieves/ninjas get anything special? not seeing stealing mentioned anywhere so they kinda just sound like worse warriors.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

No stealing, but Thieves have high agility, which determines how many hits you get each time you select the "Attack" command. They'll be competitive with Fighters, and even might out-DPS them at certain specific levels. And like how Knights get a small selection of White Magic, Ninjas get a small selection of Black Magic.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Ohhh it's got an angband thing going on, cool. How much am I gonna hate myself if I don't put a white mage in the party?

I really like BEEF parties lately so I was thinking of a warrior, thief, monk, red mage setup is why I ask

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 10, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DisDisDis posted:

Ohhh it's got an angband thing going on, cool. How much am I gonna hate myself if I don't put a white mage in the party?

Depending on the version not as much as youd think since there are items that cast cura for free. If youre playing original FF enjoy buying 99 potions that heal 40hp at a time seriously dont play the NES version

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

DisDisDis posted:

I really like BEEF parties lately so I was thinking of a warrior, thief, monk, red mage setup is why I ask
With a RM and later a Knight in your party you should be able to make do without a WM, especially if you play one of the newer ports. It won't be the easiest party to beat the game with, especially since a lot of the status cure spells aren't on the RM/Knight spell list IIRC, but it'll be doable at least.

Also, a WM wielding a hammer is surprisingly strong... when they hit. They're based on the D&D cleric class, after all, which could fight pretty well.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jul 10, 2019

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Yeah might drop the thief for WM. It'll have to wait til after DQ3 so I've got some time to think on it at any rate.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

The big advantage that Thieves are supposed to have is being better than other classes at escaping from battles due to their high Luck, except the NES version is bugged so that differences in Luck don't factor into escape chance as strongly as they were supposed to. Later versions of the game have adjusted mechanics and fix some of the bugs, but Thieves still tend to be a bit on the underpowered side.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
thieves/ninjas can equip ninja swords, of which there are exactly two in the original, and one of those can be equipped by anyone at all (i.e. white mage)

the PS1 version didn't have the bonus dungeons like the PSP/GBA ones, but i think it did have auto re-targeting where your guys will attack the next living unit instead of punching air if their original target is already defeated. bugfixes too, like SABR and TMPR actually increase your attack instead of doing absolutely nothing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think it adjusted HP values of bosses upwards as well, but not as high as the other versions did.

Black Wizard feels like dead weight in the new versions to me due to that

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Speaking of old FF games and bugs and stats, I was looking into the whole Evasion bug on FF6 for SNES and it's really interesting what actually happened and how to sort of get around it if you're playing it un-patched. This might be common knowledge but it's new to me. See, at first folks thought someone had just copy-pasted the code for Magic Evasion over for Physical Evasion and forgot to make Physical Evasion it's own thing, meaning all evasion in original FF6 was handled by your Magic Evade stat. However, what people actually found in the code is, for some bizarre reason, all physical attacks are treated as magical. So Physical Evade is actually a thing, but there are no attacks in the game that interact with it.

And, since Magic Evade is for everything now, stuff like the Enhancer sword and White Cape are actually really good since they boost evasion to everything.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Getsuya posted:

Speaking of old FF games and bugs and stats, I was looking into the whole Evasion bug on FF6 for SNES and it's really interesting what actually happened and how to sort of get around it if you're playing it un-patched. This might be common knowledge but it's new to me. See, at first folks thought someone had just copy-pasted the code for Magic Evasion over for Physical Evasion and forgot to make Physical Evasion it's own thing, meaning all evasion in original FF6 was handled by your Magic Evade stat. However, what people actually found in the code is, for some bizarre reason, all physical attacks are treated as magical. So Physical Evade is actually a thing, but there are no attacks in the game that interact with it.

And, since Magic Evade is for everything now, stuff like the Enhancer sword and White Cape are actually really good since they boost evasion to everything.

to be fair the setting magic evaded so hard it forgot magic existed so i would say it's an appropriate bug for the game

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

It's been a while since I played this game, but I'm thinking this dude might be evil.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

It's been a while since I played this game, but I'm thinking this dude might be evil.

Has there ever been an instance where the obviously evil looking or just very unfortunate looking guy wasn't actually evil? I'm sure there have been, I just can't think of any off the top of my head.

Likewise has there ever been a non-evil vizier?

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Thuryl posted:

Rorona Plus was the first to let you just pick any ending you're eligible for off a menu; unfortunately, that particular quality of life feature didn't make it into Totori or Meruru Plus.

Some (japanese) release dates:

Ayesha PS3: June 28, 2012
Totori Plus: November 29, 2012
Meruru Plus: March 20, 2013
Escha and Logy PS3: 27 June 2013
Rorona Plus: November 21, 2013

Also Totori and Meruru plus were ports with DLC folded in whereas Rorona plus was a ground up remake becasue they wanted to let people playing the Vita versions play the whole trilogy but original Rorona wan't a good game.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

hell yeah which summon spirit did you pick

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Looper posted:

hell yeah which summon spirit did you pick

Rasho. I like his type of character.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

wateyad posted:

Some (japanese) release dates:

Ayesha PS3: June 28, 2012
Totori Plus: November 29, 2012
Meruru Plus: March 20, 2013
Escha and Logy PS3: 27 June 2013
Rorona Plus: November 21, 2013

Also Totori and Meruru plus were ports with DLC folded in whereas Rorona plus was a ground up remake becasue they wanted to let people playing the Vita versions play the whole trilogy but original Rorona wan't a good game.

Wow, that release order is different from what I'd assumed. I knew Rorona had a lot more work done on it, but I didn't realize it came after the other remakes in its own trilogy.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

that's because the other 2 weren't remakes, just ports.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

chumbler posted:

Has there ever been an instance where the obviously evil looking or just very unfortunate looking guy wasn't actually evil? I'm sure there have been, I just can't think of any off the top of my head.

arden did nothing wrong, but also did nothing but sit in the home base and guard it

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

chumbler posted:

I want to say the tales of series does this a bunch, as there's a 50/50 chance on the criminal organization either allying you or being an arc boss

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

kirbysuperstar posted:

You can also choose to get a cold, refreshing DRINK in the middle of battle.

What is even up with that? Just another way of taking a potion? But since there is an item command, that can't be it, surely??? - my reaction the first time I saw it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

chumbler posted:

In a similar vein, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey is a game where you have an AI who is looking out for humanity and does not want to murder you. At the end of the game, it sacrifices itself to save the Red Sprite and its crew and get them out of the Schwarzwelt.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Libluini posted:

You can also choose to get a cold, refreshing DRINK in the middle of battle.

What is even up with that? Just another way of taking a potion? But since there is an item command, that can't be it, surely??? - my reaction the first time I saw it.

The ITEM command let you use an item's special powers. Like using a hammer to cast lightening or something.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The AI robot friend in Moon being a really cool buddy was surprising and also very sad :(

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

If you want to play FF1 NES I'd suggest taking a peek at the FF1 randomizer. You can turn off all the randomizer stuff but play with bug fixes (thieves/ninjas actually get that crit boost!) and gameplay improvements (buying 10 potions at a time or knowing which fights are unrunnable or knowing what treasure is in a chest when your inventory is full for example). There's an "Improved Vanilla" template you can use and then play with various settings. I'd suggest going to scale and changing the EXP & Gold so it's just x1.5 or x2 EXP & Gold instead of x1.5+150 for a more genuine but still not as slow start of the game. You'd have to find your own rom to feed it though.

You can check it out here.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

chumbler posted:

Arc the Lad pulls this a bunch. Most obviously in Twilight of the Spirits where half your party look like people who'd normally be villains in a JRPG.

The Dark Sultan and his kingdom from Fantasy Life also qualify. All dark dressing folks in a shadowy magic kingdom, but they turn out to be pretty decent kindhearted folks and the whole "war" plotline of the game ends up being a PRANK war between him and a kingdom he's actually friends with.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

JRPGs, teaching us important life lessons every day.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You picked Cleru. I can't believe you've done this

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Amppelix posted:

You picked Cleru. I can't believe you've done this

I alternate characters when I replay.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

chumbler posted:

Magus in Chrono Trigger immediately comes to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Almost done with Ayesha, probably another day or two. Time to decide what to play next on my Vita. I don't really want to marathon Atelier games, so I want to go for something that's very different. Thinking of either one of the Ys games (Celceta or Dana) or Labyrinth Refrain.

Though I guess if I was going to do a dungeon crawler like Refrain I could also try out Dungeon Travelers 2-2 and see if it improves on the best dungeon crawler ever. I'm kind of leery of it since I guess it's based off the bad ending of Dungeon Travelers so everyone is evil which in anime terms means everyone is even less dressed than they were in the 1st game.