Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

JonathonSpectre posted:

Bad-rear end bear totem barbarian coming to civilization? You're absolutely getting a setpiece where you kick a gang of local toughs up and down the street while their attacks bounce off you. BUT

You're also going to need to make a CHA check to keep the city's lord from locking all of you up after brawling through the town.

I super agree with most of your post but I would phrase this a bit different -- to me, a darkspot is a situation that the character's skillset isn't designed to overcome, not a game-mechanical roll they have to make.

So yeah, the city's lord now wants to lock you up, but it's not "make a cha roll", it's "either make a cha roll, or try to figure out a way to shift this problem into one your character can solve"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Whybird posted:

I super agree with most of your post but I would phrase this a bit different -- to me, a darkspot is a situation that the character's skillset isn't designed to overcome, not a game-mechanical roll they have to make.

So yeah, the city's lord now wants to lock you up, but it's not "make a cha roll", it's "either make a cha roll, or try to figure out a way to shift this problem into one your character can solve"

I think this is a great way to approach it (as well as the spotlight/darkspot approach in general.) Overall it is very unsatisfying as a player when what is supposed to be my strength is negated by some GM fiat or when it's very obvious they're trying to match creatures to beat my build- it makes the character creation process feel meaningless and cheapens the whole experience imo.

All of that said, if the other players are feeling weak or that they aren't able to do enough compared to 22 AC forge cleric, the answer might be to help elevate the others than to bring the one guy down.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Have them bring Barovia with them. Killing Strahd causes the pocket dimension to collapse, and the whole place smashes into their home plane. Gives them a kingdom that they've "earned" a bit more, and all sorts of fun shenanigans about a new kingdom that suddenly springs into existence
Everyone they know acts like it's always been there.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Have them bring Barovia with them. Killing Strahd causes the pocket dimension to collapse, and the whole place smashes into their home plane. Gives them a kingdom that they've "earned" a bit more, and all sorts of fun shenanigans about a new kingdom that suddenly springs into existence

Barovia gets placed right between two warring kingdoms, who are alarmed it is there and immediately think of it as a strategic advantage to conquer the other.

Your players, now the owners of Strahd's castles, can pick a side or attempt some sort of neutrality. But they're level 10 adventurers, they can definitely decide the outcome of this war.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Infinite Karma posted:

The shame is that if you're a dipshit GM, failure means a game over screen, not fun. In that case, players will fight tooth and nail to never get "Darkspotted," and to always act like goal-optimization robots instead of roleplaying PCs with strengths and flaws. It's hard to gain back the trust of players where failure might be okay, when you've previously broadcast that it's not.

It's not that hard if it's only you that's been playing failure = game over with them. You just have a conversation with them about different play styles and it usually works out ok.

It's when that lolD&D rocks fall, ear seekers, you said tapping not poking lol you die, rofl natty 1 you cut your own arm off lol style is their entire experience of ttrpgs and has been for years that you're going to have problems.

e: My current BitD GM inherently understands that sometimes it's cooler for me to take a wound than not take a wound, and so do the other players. That is, it makes a better story if I get cut. My current Apoc World game has a player who doesn't get it and spent 15 minutes last night patiently explaining to me that I didn't understand the rules because I put myself into harm's way when I didn't need to, and no amount of talking about genre expectations - that I'm a driver in a Mad Max world so harm's way is my natural environment - would sway him. Like yeah, the car got all hosed up and I could easily have died, that's what happens. It's not Mellow Max: The Rule Follower.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 11, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I did run into that problem with my ongoing game. During a party where they were expected to be stealthy and intercept a briefcase switch without ruining the event, one of the PCs got a critical success and a critical failure simultaneously on a two-roll attempt to befriend one of the couriers and encourage him to drink more. I decided to be funny and play it out as successfully convincing the guy that he was trying to be friendly, but having his goading to drink be interpreted as flirting and get him slapped.

The resulting chain of events from their attempt to just fight the guy for the briefcase led to the mansion burning down, many people machine gunned to death, and a flight to Mexico in the middle of the night. I was aghast at how badly everything went. Talking to one of the players, I found that their inexperience had led them to mistakenly believe that a critical failure was "You've completely hosed up and have no way of recovering." He extrapolated a good bit too far from there, and I had to explain that I wouldn't just close off the only way of completing the mission satisfactorily because of one failed roll.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

I did run into that problem with my ongoing game. During a party where they were expected to be stealthy and intercept a briefcase switch without ruining the event, one of the PCs got a critical success and a critical failure simultaneously on a two-roll attempt to befriend one of the couriers and encourage him to drink more. I decided to be funny and play it out as successfully convincing the guy that he was trying to be friendly, but having his goading to drink be interpreted as flirting and get him slapped.

The resulting chain of events from their attempt to just fight the guy for the briefcase led to the mansion burning down, many people machine gunned to death, and a flight to Mexico in the middle of the night. I was aghast at how badly everything went. Talking to one of the players, I found that their inexperience had led them to mistakenly believe that a critical failure was "You've completely hosed up and have no way of recovering." He extrapolated a good bit too far from there, and I had to explain that I wouldn't just close off the only way of completing the mission satisfactorily because of one failed roll.

This is partly because "critical failure" sounds very final, like the language an air crash investigator uses for something terminal like "the wings fell off", while what we usually want it to mean in rpgs is closer to "major complication".

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Malpais Legate posted:

Barovia gets placed right between two warring kingdoms, who are alarmed it is there and immediately think of it as a strategic advantage to conquer the other.

Your players, now the owners of Strahd's castles, can pick a side or attempt some sort of neutrality. But they're level 10 adventurers, they can definitely decide the outcome of this war.

Yeah this is the poo poo. But definitely do it as everyone thinks it was always there and play up the puzzlement when they try and resolve the contradictions.

Basically by level 10 just shower the party with power then let it make their lives interesting

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Who was the guy who did the good 5e adaptations of Warlord and Warden?

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

Who was the guy who did the good 5e adaptations of Warlord and Warden?

Robert Schwalb. Also the creator of Shadow of the Demon Lord.

How is the Warden? I don't have 4e experience but I wasn't sure while reading the description how it differentiated itself from either Ranger or Druid?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If it's true to 4E it'll be much tougher than the Ranger and not as much of a spellcaster as the Druid, and where the Druid turns into animals and creatures it'll more take on aspects of trees, mountains, storms etc.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

My Lovely Horse posted:

If it's true to 4E it'll be much tougher than the Ranger and not as much of a spellcaster as the Druid, and where the Druid turns into animals and creatures it'll more take on aspects of trees, mountains, storms etc.

Turn into a walking blizzard or no deal imo.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Players had a room with a hard encounter of two groups of enemies on opposite sides of a large room. They decided that the pyromaniac sorcerer was going to stack mage armor and shield of the faith, sneak up on the second group, and tank them/act as a distraction while the group took down the other half, got what they needed, and fled. It worked surprisingly well and always nice to see the group see an obviously "this room is set up for you to make a plan and not just charge in" scenario and run with it.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Nephzinho posted:

Players had a room with a hard encounter of two groups of enemies on opposite sides of a large room. They decided that the pyromaniac sorcerer was going to stack mage armor and shield of the faith, sneak up on the second group, and tank them/act as a distraction while the group took down the other half, got what they needed, and fled. It worked surprisingly well and always nice to see the group see an obviously "this room is set up for you to make a plan and not just charge in" scenario and run with it.

I prefer the good ol' "Let them kill each other and then wipe out the rest". Less angry survivors to come back and ambush you later and try and recover the McGuffin

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My one player spent all 8 hours of last session suggesting in character that the party not investigate the mysterious volcano, leave again as soon as possible when they inevitably did, and proclaiming he didn't want to come in the first place when they got their asses handed to them, inbetween bits where he was obviously super engaged with the game and having fun. Decided to drop him a line saying it was super stressful for the DM to hear "I don't want to go there" for 8 hours, reminding him of our rule 0 that says to play characters who actively want to adventure, suggesting that if it was a pure RP thing to frame it as "you don't want to go there at all and think it's a bad idea, why do you do it anyway?", and urging him that if it wasn't an RP thing to tell me what kind of adventures he'd actually like, without promising I could deliver but definitely promising I'd try. And a reminder that we never held it against any player who no-showed, had to leave early, or even left us hanging, just on the chance he maybe simply wasn't feeling RPG that day.

Don't think I'm asking advice so much as giving with this one, although comments are of course appreciated.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I subscribe to the school that there should be no fumbles on skill rolls. First off, if your skill matches the difficulty, you should never fail, never mind 5% of the time. Secondly, it's kinda lame to have like 10% of failures be spectacularly bad.

Only exception: 1 in combat is a miss even if the total is enough to hit. (this shouldn't really ever happen in 5e with the bounded accuracy tbh) But it's just a miss, not hitting yourself or whatever

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 14, 2019

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I like crit fumbles on skill rolls to close the avenue to further attempts. So nat 1 when picking a lock screws the lock up completely and you’ll need to try something else. My players have got into the habit of describing for themselves what happens on the crit fumble so it works for us.

Need storyline advice - lots of exposition so feel free to skip. My heroes are still in the desert city of Kesh - this was meant to be just a starting area but they’re now level 6 and still there. Earlier on they solved a mystery outbreak of diseases but one persisted, it is a standard magic plague that goes red rings round the eyes —> uncontrollable violence and rage —> death. The Saviors (religious guard aligned against the players) have gathered several hundred citizens affected by this plague and sent them by wagon train and boat to The Iron Mountain, mighty stronghold of the dwarfs, for “treatment”. This has greatly increased The Saviors standing in Kesh as the official city watch had been unable to effectively deal with the situation.

The dwarfs of the Iron Mountain are standard template but more Pratchett than Tolkien. The secret of the iron mountain is that the great war of 100 years ago never ended here; it still persists in the darkness deep below the world. Several months ago the dwarf hero Ulfric Bladebeard led an expedition into the abandoned dwarf holds in the lower caverns and hasn’t been heard of since.

I’ve no idea why The Saviors are sending the infected citizens to The Iron Mountain, or what’s happening when they get there. I don’t know if the dwarfs are complicit or even aware of what’s going on - they are ultra-neutral when it comes to alignment. My players are talking about heading that way or sending a contingent of their new henchmen to find out what’s going on, so I need ideas. Anyone have any suggestions?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

One or both sides in the great war are gathering up plague sufferers and using them as berserker shock troops.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Or perhaps the madness and rage of the disease matches an the condition shown in the few delirious stragglers that have returned, insane and screaming, from Bladebeard's expedition. The dwarves don't know what is down there in the hold and they want to examine the victims, to try to understand why their own citizens are blinding themselves, letting the blood run from their ruined sockets, screaming in inarticulate rage and thrashing about before finally killing themselves.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

My Lovely Horse posted:

One or both sides in the great war are gathering up plague sufferers and using them as berserker shock troops.

This is what I immediately thought of. They could have been sent as a gift, or maybe they were purchased. This only really works if someone in charge in dwarfland is evil, though.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
The Saviors are antagonists, but they're more pragmatic than vile in their assessment of these afflicted. The dwarves are known in academic circles as having great practical research knowledge; their moral and political neutrality has allowed them to find and develop techniques in various disciplines that other nations and creeds may have found too extreme, or niche, or costly.

So while it may appear cruel to ship boats of people across the sea to a strange land, there really was an honest effort to seek help. That it happens to improve their standing in the city, insulate Kesh from the fallout if no treatment can be found in time, and might just get a group of troublesome adventurers out of town...that's just a win-win.

The dwarves take the refugees at face value; they are sick, they need help, and that is that. The dwarves are trying to help them but are getting overwhelmed with splitting their resources between disease and the war. They are not a weak nation, but they are tired, and they are strained, and are willing to ask for help with the refugees.

There's an old infirmary in the lost dwarven territories deep in the mountain that had an immense collection of medical knowledge. An expedition could be dispatched to retrieve the records and documentation held there to help locate or develop a treatment. And perhaps some clues to Ulfric's fate might be found along the way...

That's my take at least

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

dex_sda posted:

I subscribe to the school that there should be no fumbles on skill rolls. First off, if your skill matches the difficulty, you should never fail, never mind 5% of the time. Secondly, it's kinda lame to have like 10% of failures be spectacularly bad.

Only exception: 1 in combat is a miss even if the total is enough to hit. (this shouldn't really ever happen in 5e with the bounded accuracy tbh) But it's just a miss, not hitting yourself or whatever

I play in GURPS, which has you use modifiers to adjust the difficulty of a task. So your character may have a Lockpicking skill of 15, which means they need to roll a 15 or less on 3d6 to succeed. This is a pretty high skill that will almost always succeed in one try at typical lockpicking tasks. But you can have skill modifiers like -5 for working by touch without being able to see the lock, or +4 if the lock is especially primitive. This adjusts the difficulty in both directions, so the task could be so hard that you have a 1% chance of success or so easy that only a critical failure (which is basically bad luck outside of your ability) could keep you from failing, or anything in between.

The way I do it, a critical failure either closes off that avenue or has a negative effect outside of specifically failing. With lockpicking, a critical failure could break the lock and totally freeze it up so it needs to be broken open, or break your picks. In the case of the fumble in my story, the slap only closed that character off from any further interaction with the drunk guy without the mistaken flirting attempt being on his mind. But they interpreted it as "Oh poo poo, now we can't do the social route at all" and tried to fight the guy for it.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I need some help thinking of a catering adventure for tomorrow night. One of the players gave me a little model crab kit, and so i thought it would be nice for them to fight what appears at first to be a real crab but turns out to be mechanical. 'its an imitation crab!'

Maybe the crab is an apparatus of kwalish-type vehicle and someone is terrorizing fishing villages for some reason? It seems like i would run a decent scooby doo style adventure but i'm having trouble working out the details.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Ignite Memories posted:

I need some help thinking of a catering adventure for tomorrow night. One of the players gave me a little model crab kit, and so i thought it would be nice for them to fight what appears at first to be a real crab but turns out to be mechanical. 'its an imitation crab!'

Maybe the crab is an apparatus of kwalish-type vehicle and someone is terrorizing fishing villages for some reason? It seems like i would run a decent scooby doo style adventure but i'm having trouble working out the details.

The crab was constructed by mermen to terrorize coastal fishing villages (it's filled with water inside, see, so they can breathe). They are terrorizing the coastal fishing villages because they blame the villagers for the mysterious poison that is sterilizing the mermen (the fishermen's nets have been soaked in the poison, see). The mysterious poison is actually the work of a necromancer who is poisoning the nets at the behest of a local noble, who wants to spark conflict between the fishermen and the mermen so that it will drive down property values; he wants to build a new seaside villa, you see, and once he has the land he'll send in some men to 'discover' the necromancer and drive him off and restore the peace, making him a hero in the eyes of the locals.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

The village is being threatened and harassed in order to push residents out of the area as they flee for their lives. The locals have deep roots in the area but when there's no catch, no safe harbor, and only a smashed pile of wood to come home to, even the lifers start having second thoughts.

This lets the mayor/real estate mogul swoop in and buy up historic property on the cheap. Their plan? Luxury condos, outlet shopping, and a development plan for the oceanfront to support the summer festival season ALL YEAR ROUND! This will allow the mayor, wistful for their youth spent riding carousels and puking beneath the boardwalk, to indulge in a personalized resort town while greatly increasing tax revenue.

The mayor knows that simply executing a takeover plan would result in an old-fashioned seaside execution at the hands of the villagers. That's why they've coddled a local eccentric and pushed them to repurpose their arcanomechanical diving bells into semiautonomous crab creatures.

The eccentric knows of the rezoning plans but has been led to believe that they're getting a cut to continue research, and is more than willing to play along due to bitterness directed at the town for past perceived slights. The mayor, however, is simply biding their time for the plan to ripen and then will have the eccentric killed off and presented to the remaining townsfolk as a patsy. With the crab scourge overwith and so much ruined property to rebuild, it should be a snap to align political will behind a total town makeover.

I'm less sure of this one but I enjoyed writing it so at least I got something out of it

E: I'm happy I'm not the only one whose mind immediately went to a real estate scheme

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Adlai Stevenson posted:

E: I'm happy I'm not the only one whose mind immediately went to a real estate scheme

Great minds, as they say

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Why not Zoidberg?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

Nap Ghost

Adlai Stevenson posted:

The Saviors are antagonists, but they're more pragmatic than vile in their assessment of these afflicted. The dwarves are known in academic circles as having great practical research knowledge; their moral and political neutrality has allowed them to find and develop techniques in various disciplines that other nations and creeds may have found too extreme, or niche, or costly.

So while it may appear cruel to ship boats of people across the sea to a strange land, there really was an honest effort to seek help. That it happens to improve their standing in the city, insulate Kesh from the fallout if no treatment can be found in time, and might just get a group of troublesome adventurers out of town...that's just a win-win.

The dwarves take the refugees at face value; they are sick, they need help, and that is that. The dwarves are trying to help them but are getting overwhelmed with splitting their resources between disease and the war. They are not a weak nation, but they are tired, and they are strained, and are willing to ask for help with the refugees.

I think the problem with this is that since the players are putting time and effort into investigating this big plot hook of sending refugees out for healing, it feels a bit of a gotcha to turn around and tell them "Nothing going on here, perfectly legitimate healing operation."

Equally, it feels like the twist they're expecting is to learn that some sort of atrocity is being committed here, so it'd be good to subvert that -- but to subvert it in a way that still means the players learn important information that they can use against the Saviors.

So how about this: while the dwarves are helping, they're not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, they're doing it because they want the opportunity to study patients as they die of the disease. The vast majority -- about 95%, say -- of patients are able to be saved thanks to the dwarves' skill -- but the remaining 5% are taken away and never seen again ("so that they can't spread the infection", the surgeons say.) These get experimented on. As far as the dwarves are concerned this isn't evil at all: these humans are going to die, they might as well die increasing the chances that the dwarves can heal the next plague that comes along. But the families who've had someone just go missing are probably going to see things very differently.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Whybird posted:

I think the problem with this is that since the players are putting time and effort into investigating this big plot hook of sending refugees out for healing, it feels a bit of a gotcha to turn around and tell them "Nothing going on here, perfectly legitimate healing operation."

Equally, it feels like the twist they're expecting is to learn that some sort of atrocity is being committed here, so it'd be good to subvert that -- but to subvert it in a way that still means the players learn important information that they can use against the Saviors.

So how about this: while the dwarves are helping, they're not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, they're doing it because they want the opportunity to study patients as they die of the disease. The vast majority -- about 95%, say -- of patients are able to be saved thanks to the dwarves' skill -- but the remaining 5% are taken away and never seen again ("so that they can't spread the infection", the surgeons say.) These get experimented on. As far as the dwarves are concerned this isn't evil at all: these humans are going to die, they might as well die increasing the chances that the dwarves can heal the next plague that comes along. But the families who've had someone just go missing are probably going to see things very differently.

Ooh! The Saviors would prefer to have the group healed for the sake of their image, but on the official roll of refugee names they've highlighted political enemies and dissidents so the dwarves know who to select for experimentation.

Regardless I like your idea with the dwarves experimenting. It complicates matters in the moment and gives the party the chance to decide how to react to a real neutral faction.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Ignite Memories posted:

Instead of the developers being the culprit, the culprit is actually the local druid Grove who have the water filled fake crabs manned by water elementals that dissolve into water and run out the craft when the hatch is open, leaving behind 'red herrings'! Their goal is to terrorize the coast and stop the lawful building and when adventurers do show up, pin it on the developers. By utilizing the mechanical crabs they can displace suspicion on themselves.

Their goal is to stop the construction and then force the rebuilt homes of the local villagers to be made from druid approved and earth friendly materials and construction methods. The druids may even offer to consult on the case with your chefs.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Hmm. I'd been thinking about introducing an evil spice trader named Cardamom, maybe this could all be her plot somehow.

Or maybe i should save her for some sort of adventure where she tricks the party into eliminating her competition. Not sure how terrorizing fishing villages would accomplish that.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'm running a homebrew campaign right now where my players ended up tracking a person of interest into the catacombs beneath the city. While there, they discovered the crypt of a Necromancer who had entombed himself in a glass pyramid full of green fog. The necromancer was clutching a book of spells so the party's own LE necromancer insisted they crack open the pyramid and grab the book.

So they did. Cracking open the pyramid released the green fog, which proceeded to infest and reanimate any dead body it touched, filling the bodies with malicious purpose.

The party booked it out of the tomb and eventually blundered their way into the Drow Undercity beneath the main city. After narrowly escaping the Drow secret police and making their way back to the surface, the party is shocked to discover a zombie apocalypse in progress.

Everyone's eyes on the Necromancer who adjusts his collar and shrugs awkwardly.

The party is gonna be pretty pissed off when they discover the section of the necromancer's grimoire that deals with how to dispel the green fog has been torn out.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ok, so here's my modified plan:

a local celebrity is seen enjoying an all-fish diet, and demand skyrockets. WoRCc runs out of fish during the lunch rush, and they realize that the last shipment of fish they ordered from Cheddar Bay never came! Alfredo sends three of his most trustworthy chefs to investigate.

When they investigate, they find that many fishing vessels and the bayside town of Biali have recently been attacked by a huge monster! It's a crab that rises from the deep and terrorizes the locals. They eventually track down the crab and fight it, which reveals that it's an imitation crab. It is actually an ubermarine - built by the nearby merfolk to fight land-dwellers without suffocating.

If the players let the pilot live, he will offer to bring them to the merfolk alderman who accuses them of breaking an ancient pact. It turns out that while the fish of Cheddar Bay were made available to the kingdoms of man, fishing further into the nearby reefs was an act of war. Now they are going to rise up and and slay the man-things.

If/when the players point out that the kingdoms of man were scattered and destroyed before they were even born, the alderfolk gets embarrassed and angry. He laments that he is woefully uninformed about the surface goings-on. He declares that if the kingdoms of man are no more then their deal is null, and the land-dwellers have been taking their fish without permission after all!

The only thing that will appease him, of course, is a bounteous feast for his whole court, made of walk-beasts and land-seaweed, to make up for the bounty that was stolen. If the players are successful then fishing rights will be re-established and the land-dwellers will begin proper trade with the merfolk.

How does that sound? Any fun ideas for twists or variables I should add?

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 15, 2019

Feb 2, 2005
Thanks everyone for the advice about running a ball. It was the best session I've run in at least 5 years! Players loved every second of it, plotting out who they would need to impress, who to stay clear of, what gift to give the host, filling their dance cards (realizing they didn't know the steps to popular dances and rolling to learn them in time), and seducing the front-runner for the "Esprit De Corps" award and removing her from the running.

All in all, an excellent tonal lead-up to next session where they're breaking into a forbidden city ward crawling with hellish blood monsters that are absolutely going to rip them new assholes.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Trip report rather than question, but I just dropped a "newspaper" into our shared group chat and every article ends with an anonymous source slating the Desert Watch, my players chosen faction:

One senior acolyte who asked not to be named told us “It makes you wonder who’s responsible for the safety of the city now. If we were under attack I’d be looking for the guys with the giant silver war robots, not the guys with... what do the Desert Watch have? Camels or something?”

One bank employee who asked not to be named said “Where’s the Desert Watch? Aren’t they meant to stop things like this?”

One senior city doctor who asked not to be named told us “I’m glad the Saviors are reaching out to help these poor people in their time of need and restore order to the city at the same time. The Desert Watch have proven to be completely unable to control the situation”.

One high-ranking city fire warden who asked not to be named told us she believes the recent spate of fires to be the work of an arsonist. “That makes it a Desert Watch problem,” she said. “They really need to get a grip on this before more people are hurt.”

A local resident who asked not to be named questioned why the Desert Watch haven’t posted a guard on the temple, and said he hasn’t even seen a Desert Watch patrol along the Street of A Thousand Gods in the past few days.

Editorial: Are the Desert Watch Still Able to Protect Us? Turn to Page 4 for our analysis of recent events in the city.

My players are so loving mad about it. It's getting to the point that I think I might need to go "you remember it's just a game, right? And I wrote all this?"

Edit: Forgot to say thanks for all the great ideas about what the Saviours are taking plague victims to the Iron Mountain for. Currently all stewing in a big pot in my mind, with plenty to work on. Thanks!

Sanford fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 16, 2019

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost
"publishing misinformation about PCs" ranks on the chart of Crimes Against Players just below "tricking them out of money" and just above "murdering their entire family".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh man, that gives me such a good idea.

STONE THIEF ATTACK ENGINEERED BY CRUSADER SPIES?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Look if they were really mad they'd take over the city and impose fascism-style anti-sedition laws and an efficient secret police.

Sounds like they just need a better PR guy and/or to hunt down the antagonist intent on besmirching them.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

My Lovely Horse posted:

Oh man, that gives me such a good idea.

STONE THIEF ATTACK ENGINEERED BY CRUSADER SPIES?

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Whybird posted:

"publishing misinformation about PCs" ranks on the chart of Crimes Against Players just below "tricking them out of money" and just above "murdering their entire family".

Strongly disagree, those examples are all basically taking autonomy from the players which is lovely. Having NPCs come to incorrect conclusions about the players based on rumors seems completely fair game and a reasonable obstacle to offer the party imo.