Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Bladestorm Templars are the best fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Bladestorm Templars with reaper especially. They're the game version of "I'm gonna swing my swords around in circles and if you walk into me it's your fault!!"

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I've been playing lately with Musashi's Samurai and Infiltrator classes. The things that you can do with these folks are glorious (especially if you combine the Samurai with the Katana pack)!

immelman
Oct 6, 2014

Danaru posted:

I'm finally getting around to playing Long War for Enemy Within (my old computer couldn't run long war at all but could run XCOM 2 at a hard 19 fps :confuoot:) and I basically need to relearn EW. Are there any good QoL mods anyone can recommend? I would give pretty much anything to be able to hit a button and apply the current load out to everyone of that class, letting the rookies dress themselves is Hell.

I also want to confirm, a country's readiness is just a flat deduction to how much panic they get from alien incursions, right? My first thought was that they'd withdraw at max readiness thinking they dont need us anymore, mixing :capitalism: and :xcom:

I've seen players use a mod to manage loadouts. Have not used it since some have complained about crashes.
The ones I'm using are:
Alien sight range indicator
Alien stats exposed
Enhanced tactical info
Exalt scan reminder
Geoscape pause
Meldalarm
Sightlines
UFO interception tweak (this one increases interception time and decreases damage to make the air game more tactical, that makes it qol for me)

I've also used a patch to fix the quenchgun project not doing anything since there is a bug with Phoenix coilguns. But can't remember what it's called.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

The Rat posted:

Bladestorm Templars with reaper especially. They're the game version of "I'm gonna swing my swords around in circles and if you walk into me it's your fault!!"

Eh, Reaper kinda sucks poo poo because you can’t activate parry afterwards which is a huge drawback if your plan is to stand there after your turn like ‘come at me bro’ and use them as “lesser” mimic beacon.

The only way around it is to use the AP of another squad member to grant them an additional action.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The best Templar bonus ability is Bladestorm (because Bladestorm is absolutely insane) and the second best is Fortress (which removes a lot of the potential tactical problems with just stabbing everything and lets you go ham on everything from purifiers to sectopods, and also lets you use the rend shockwave ability with impunity regardless of how volatile the terrain might be).

The third best bonus ability is Sustain because that skill is a literal lifesaver, plus having a dumbshit suicidal Templar who can eat an entire pod's worth of flanking crits and not die can be incredibly useful as a last-ditch sacrifice play that doesn't actually sacrifice anyone. I'd put Reaper probably fourth, because as mentioned, it doesn't allow Parrying and is thus mainly useful for mopping up large groups of weaker enemies. Lots of fun in Lost missions, though.

The pistol abilities almost uniformly suck for Templars due to the shittiness of their pistols. Like, Lightning Hands is an objectively useful skill, sure, but you still groan when you get it because there are multiple much better things it could have been.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that punching a sectopod so hard it explodes and sets off a nearby fuel tank, then putting your sunglasses on and walking calmly out of the flaming carnage you've created, absolutely rules and that's why Templars are good. Thank you for reading my thesis.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Angry Diplomat posted:

The best Templar bonus ability is Bladestorm (because Bladestorm is absolutely insane) and the second best is Fortress (which removes a lot of the potential tactical problems with just stabbing everything and lets you go ham on everything from purifiers to sectopods, and also lets you use the rend shockwave ability with impunity regardless of how volatile the terrain might be).

The third best bonus ability is Sustain because that skill is a literal lifesaver, plus having a dumbshit suicidal Templar who can eat an entire pod's worth of flanking crits and not die can be incredibly useful as a last-ditch sacrifice play that doesn't actually sacrifice anyone. I'd put Reaper probably fourth, because as mentioned, it doesn't allow Parrying and is thus mainly useful for mopping up large groups of weaker enemies. Lots of fun in Lost missions, though.

The pistol abilities almost uniformly suck for Templars due to the shittiness of their pistols. Like, Lightning Hands is an objectively useful skill, sure, but you still groan when you get it because there are multiple much better things it could have been.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that punching a sectopod so hard it explodes and sets off a nearby fuel tank, then putting your sunglasses on and walking calmly out of the flaming carnage you've created, absolutely rules and that's why Templars are good. Thank you for reading my thesis.

:yeah:

This is spot on, or at least, how I feel about it too; even the pistol skills being a let down on what could have been. Like, quick draw is okay if you’re within a blue move of the target you want to melee and lightning hands has niche use when you think the next target in the reaper-chain MIGHT have just barely too much hp if you don’t get a good roll...but like face off is hot garbage on a templar. It would be better and synergize well with reaper if it didn’t end your turn to use it on your first action.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If you have quickdraw does face off still end your turn? Together with reaper that could be neat but it's a lot of work to make two suboptimal skills work

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

immelman posted:

I've seen players use a mod to manage loadouts. Have not used it since some have complained about crashes.
The ones I'm using are:
Alien sight range indicator
Alien stats exposed
Enhanced tactical info
Exalt scan reminder
Geoscape pause
Meldalarm
Sightlines
UFO interception tweak (this one increases interception time and decreases damage to make the air game more tactical, that makes it qol for me)

I've also used a patch to fix the quenchgun project not doing anything since there is a bug with Phoenix coilguns. But can't remember what it's called.

Thanks, I'll give these a shot!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Ravenfood posted:

If you have quickdraw does face off still end your turn? Together with reaper that could be neat but it's a lot of work to make two suboptimal skills work

To the best of my knowledge, Quickdraw only kicks in for bog-standard pistol attacks in an unmodded game. Using any special pistol ability other than Lightning Hands still ends your turn.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Angry Diplomat posted:

To the best of my knowledge, Quickdraw only kicks in for bog-standard pistol attacks in an unmodded game. Using any special pistol ability other than Lightning Hands still ends your turn.

This is true except for Fan Fire for whatever reason (at least on sharpshooters). Not sure if it’s because of quick draw or just the way FF works

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
How does Heavy Ordnance work with experimental grenades in vanilla XCOM 2? Say I equip the Frost Bomb in my grenadier's grenade slot, do I get to use it once for free every mission or something?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It should work.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Maha posted:

How does Heavy Ordnance work with experimental grenades in vanilla XCOM 2? Say I equip the Frost Bomb in my grenadier's grenade slot, do I get to use it once for free every mission or something?

Heavy Ordnance is the one that give the grenade-only slot an extra use, yes? If so, then yes, it works with all grenade types. Frost Bomb included. For this reason, I frequently put the Frost Bomb in that slot on my grenadiers.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Perfectly timed voice clip :v:

https://twitter.com/HetzerGonnaHetz/status/1145054123328528386

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I had forgotten how like crack XCOM 2 is. It was only PS4’s lovely crash-prone version that got me out of an endless loop of failed campaigns, but now I’m playing it on a decent PC and may never stop playing until I finally beat it on the hardest difficulty, even though I currently can’t even beat it on commander, which I did manage on PS4.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

lol this goddamn game sometimes...first guerrilla ops mission of the game (on legend):

“Easy” (as usual) - Destroy the Alien Relay - in the sewers.

Kill the first pack and...a reinforcements flare? Odd, but ok.

its 2 loving stun lancers and a priest on the first mission after gatecrasher lmao

I have 3 squaddies (no grenadier btw) and a rookie. Somehow make it out flawless with barely enough time...but did the game bother to cut down on the enemies to account for the reinforcements? Nope. Not at all.

In total: 1 priest, 2 stun lancers, 2 sectoids, 1 officer, and 5 troopers. 7 turns. “Easy” my rear end.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I've had that EXACT RNF pod drop on me on post-Gatecrasher mission 1 as well. It's just a scheduling error, I believe.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Apoplexy posted:

I've had that EXACT RNF pod drop on me on post-Gatecrasher mission 1 as well. It's just a scheduling error, I believe.

It occasionally gives you the next tier of enemies in a pod as a surprise

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

:xcom: I guess, but it is kinda funny how easily that could have been the beginning of the end of a run. It was equal parts skill and luck that I got through it that well

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If you were using a reaper, a claymore detonated with a grenade would get rid of most of that problem. :colbert:

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Bogart posted:

If you were using a reaper, a claymore detonated with a grenade would get rid of most of that problem. :colbert:

How do you figure? They weren’t all standing together. That only works for an opener or if you can LoS cheese into grenade range without activating a pod. Not when it drops as a reinforcement.

Gatecrasher didn’t give me a grenadier promotion due to luck either; it would have had to be hand thrown. I’m glad I had a templar for that one, but honestly it all came down to getting good rolls on the overwatch when the reinforcement pod dropped—deleting the priest outright and severely weakening one of the lancers.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Everyone, please look at this mod

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1787366627

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Been replaying the first Firaxis XCOM while traveling since it runs on an ipad. Just finished the St. John's (chryssalid whale) mission with 4 troops and ballistic weapons. Hadn't even finished researching armor upgrade yet. It was brutal. Managed to complete it without losing anyone by moving carefully and starting most fights with overwatch shots and keeping my sniper in a good spot. Got lucky and one of the sharks I didn't have spare explosives to pop ahead of time never spawned a chrysallid. They also didn't pursue very fast once I broke contact and started dashing away.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That looks hilarious, but in the comments he says it will be 1/3 on Guerilla Ops, which is way too often.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

wuffles posted:

How do you figure? They weren’t all standing together. That only works for an opener or if you can LoS cheese into grenade range without activating a pod. Not when it drops as a reinforcement.

Gatecrasher didn’t give me a grenadier promotion due to luck either; it would have had to be hand thrown. I’m glad I had a templar for that one, but honestly it all came down to getting good rolls on the overwatch when the reinforcement pod dropped—deleting the priest outright and severely weakening one of the lancers.

Oh, I misread. I thought it was a predeployed pod. I rescind my smarm.

This looks rad.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Finally got around to picking up WotC after meaning to for absolutely ages. Just finished off that long reaper-skirmisher contact mission - that got a bit intense. Guess it’s going to be a wild ride from here on out.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Best thing I’ve run into so far: if the Assassin is weak to Reapers, that also extends to explosions that are caused by Reapers, and it also picks up the bonus damage from Remote Start (a Reaper skill that you should get as soon as possible). I did ~20 damage to the Assassin one day with a well-placed claymore and a secondary explosion, via that combo :getin:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I've beaten this game like 4-5 times, but I've stretched my latest play thru out to an absurd level.
I've got so many good soldiers I don't even know who to take on the final mission.

One thing I did learn is that the Void Rift is the best thing ever, not sure how I never realized that before.
Ok, gonna go stomp some aiiieeesssssss.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Go for the 'Who needs Tygan' cheevo if you're victory lapping that hard. No tech for primary/secondary/armour allowed, but most other toys are fine. So you can bring 6 Psi Magi (in kevlar with the basic psi amp) and just run around murdering things with fuse and infinite stasis.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

soulmata posted:

1) I fully assert Reaper is the most powerful soldier in the game, to the point where it is insanely overpowered, particularly when you are looking at where you are dependent on RNG or not. The Reaper has a suite of abilities that simply ignore RNG - and perhaps even more importantly - defy some of the very basic tactical components the game ships with. XCOM2 missions are heavily based around the concept you need to move aggressively, and they give you Concealment as a way to make you brave and feel capable of doing that. The Reaper removes the core "risk" component Firaxis put into the game, by completely breaking their concealment mechanic. It was never intended that you should be able to wipe out an entire pod, from concealment, without using a single consumable item, then have your squad continue on their merry (and very concealed) way. No other class does this, and the only item that even comes close is the Proximity Mine, which is a late-game item with limited utility. It's hard to even explain how broken the Reaper is, except that I tried to prove it with my campaign above. That single Reaper carried the entire game up until my psiguy busts out of his glass prison with all psi techniques downloaded to his positronic brain, and temporarily supplants the Reaper as "p. strong". Of course this is an opinion. But I think it's one you'll find consistently shared - and it principally revolves around the fact the AI cannot deal with being damaged while the squad is concealed.
I am as far from a hyper-competent XCOM2 player as you can get and Reapers let you completely negate basically everything as mentioned if you even try a little. My favorite thing about them is how if you use them right, you can use them to completely scout and clear a path to the teleporter on Chosen Stronghold assaults. With a completely fresh squad the Chosen are essentially helpless. Later on if you save their CDs you can instantly delete annoying enemies like Chosen or Avatars or uh anything really short of the Archon King.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Serephina posted:

Go for the 'Who needs Tygan' cheevo if you're victory lapping that hard. No tech for primary/secondary/armour allowed, but most other toys are fine. So you can bring 6 Psi Magi (in kevlar with the basic psi amp) and just run around murdering things with fuse and infinite stasis.

poo poo. I deleted my psi lab after I got my 2nd Magi.
welp

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

her loving dodge, lol

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Fabricated posted:

I am as far from a hyper-competent XCOM2 player as you can get and Reapers let you completely negate basically everything as mentioned if you even try a little. My favorite thing about them is how if you use them right, you can use them to completely scout and clear a path to the teleporter on Chosen Stronghold assaults. With a completely fresh squad the Chosen are essentially helpless. Later on if you save their CDs you can instantly delete annoying enemies like Chosen or Avatars or uh anything really short of the Archon King.

I take it you haven't put a superior repeater on your Reaper yet.

Pohl posted:

her loving dodge, lol

Now start sending your Templar on every single +movement covert op you can find for a few months.

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum
"wow, i can move so far!" is a dangerous drug to get hooked on

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

"I can totally flank those bitches, they'll never see it com-

reveals archon pod

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
has anyone actually ever used the dismiss soldier button, and not just sent your scrubs on suicide runs?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Eau de MacGowan posted:

has anyone actually ever used the dismiss soldier button, and not just sent your scrubs on suicide runs?

All of my runs are suicide runs.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

NuttO posted:

"wow, i can move so far!" is a dangerous drug to get hooked on
Not when you're running a Reaper :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Not when you're running a Reaper :getin:

Being able to scout the entire map in one turn is worth the fact that the game gets laggy whenever you select your Reaper, but if you stack too many bonuses sometimes their movement bugs out.