Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I’ve been listening to Magnus and enjoying it a reasonable amount, but when does the serialized not kick in? The OP makes it sound like things are going to happen that aren’t just SCP-style recurring names or iconography.

I just finished the 30th episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Boxman posted:

I’ve been listening to Magnus and enjoying it a reasonable amount, but when does the serialized not kick in? The OP makes it sound like things are going to happen that aren’t just SCP-style recurring names or iconography.

:getin:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Boxman posted:

End of Season 1 is probably the first time they start textually tying threads together.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Yeah, by episode 30 you should hopefully have spotted a few threads but it becomes a lot more explicit in the last four or five episodes.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
You should probably just show us your cork board so we can see what connections you're making, we'll let you know if you're missing anything.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm two episodes in to Vast Horizon and starting to lose interest. Does it pick up?

Also the protagonist's footstep pace when she starts running in episode 2 is absurd.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Montalvo posted:

I'm two episodes in to Vast Horizon and starting to lose interest. Does it pick up?

Also the protagonist's footstep pace when she starts running in episode 2 is absurd.

I've been enjoying it; there's been a couple of very effective tense moments for me. The protagonist also has robot legs, so not that unreasonable.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

New Leaf posted:

What about making a podcast entirely of commercials that have some underlying narrative keeping them together, like the reps are caught in a love triangle or are hunted by Lovecraftian horrors while reading their scripts. That could be fun.

This sounds like a Zack Parsons project (pun not intended.) Ever read the CONEX Connection series?

Edit: linked bettered

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 10, 2019

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I loving love numbers stations and this is my favourite episode of TMA in a long time.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Arrhythmia posted:

I loving love numbers stations and this is my favourite episode of TMA in a long time.

Reddit decoded the numbers. "The world is always ending"

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Reddit decoded the numbers. "The world is always ending"

loving A man

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Seriously, so good.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
"The wardens would have no choice but to allow the dimension to fall in the stream of entropy"

gently caress off, Rabbits

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I'm starting to worry I've listened to all the good podcasts

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

listen to audio collections. Much better quality control, generally

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

You want bad? I downloaded one called like Earth Break or some poo poo and it has like three commercials plus an ad for a mystery box sidestory to the podcast. But act now because they only add 200 new players a day!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Yeah I've run out of good fiction podcasts I think other than ongoing series. I've started listening to a lot more comedy podcasts, namely ones that make fun of bad fiction, so that's fun.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Tbh everyone who wants weird stuff should just buy the audio short fic collections they can from Nathan Balingrud, Paul Tremblay, Stephen Graham Jones, etc

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I gave up on Vast Horizon. I just don't care.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I’m working my way through wolf 359. Is there anything else similar to that?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Try Mission To Zyxx. It's really well done and it's loving funny.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Try Mission To Zyxx. It's really well done and it's loving funny.

Yeah Zyxx is really well done improv.

If you want something more story heavy Girl in Space is great but the episodes take a long time to come out as it's a hobby for the creator.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I'm working my way through the Strange Case of Starship Iris which isn't too bad. Nothing approaching Wolf 359 but it's entertaining enough. I dropped Vast Horizons a bit ago, just something about it that was allowing me to enjoy it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I'm looking forward to the wacky hijinks sitcom Magnus Archives spinoff of a bunch of fire cultists trying to raise their messiah.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Arrhythmia posted:

I'm looking forward to the wacky hijinks sitcom Magnus Archives spinoff of a bunch of fire cultists trying to raise their messiah.

Everyone will be quoting Arthur Nolan's famous catchphrase "For gently caress's sake Diego!" at work tomorrow.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Finally gave Archive 81 another run. For whatever reason, episode 1 of season 2 just turned me off but after hitting the fake NPR segment and its credits I'm on board.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I liked season 1 of Archive 81, thought season 2 started a bit weak and got way better as it went, but bounced off season 3 really hard. Which is weird, since that sort of modern occultism thing is extremely my poo poo, but so it goes.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Fil5000 posted:

Everyone will be quoting Arthur Nolan's famous catchphrase "For gently caress's sake Diego!" at work tomorrow.

The pettiness of burning a book to help raise your Messiah, just because it steps on your flaming toes is beautiful writing.

Pope Guilty posted:

I liked season 1 of Archive 81, thought season 2 started a bit weak and got way better as it went, but bounced off season 3 really hard. Which is weird, since that sort of modern occultism thing is extremely my poo poo, but so it goes.

My advice for 81 is this: Don't go into any episode with any ideas of what's to come. It changes so frequently and so strangely it's better to just go with it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

How could you not like the Payphone? Did you try cutting off you left hand and leaving it on the floor of the phone booth?

Wonderful.

Has anyone listened to The Make-Believe Show? The main cast of Kings Falls AM ask a question each week and delve into their personal histories, hopes, and traumas. It's not fiction but I find it very engaging, partially because I've become so familiar with these voices.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Question regarding Magnus Archives episode 146

Who is Annabelle Cane and when was she mentioned?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

She’s a psychic guinea pig with a hollow skull. MAG 69 is her first mention, and it’s a very nice episode

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

How long does wolf 359 take to get better? I’m 7 episodes deep and the ‘comedy’ is terrible.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Basic Chunnel posted:

She’s a psychic guinea pig with a hollow skull. MAG 69 is her first mention, and it’s a very nice episode

Yeah it took me a while to remember who she was because god drat that episode was nasty despite being nice.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

ketchup vs catsup posted:

How long does wolf 359 take to get better? I’m 7 episodes deep and the ‘comedy’ is terrible.

Stick with it. The Scooby Doo/ zany character development doesn't stick around for too long

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I simply cannot keep up with all the threads in Magnus anymore and I wish they went back to monster of the week episodes. I'm starting to lose the plot (literally) and it is definitely lowering my enjoyment and interest in the series. I shouldn't have to pull up a wiki after each episode.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I don't get that sentiment. What's confusing?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Episode 11 is where the tone starts to shift, and episodes 12-14 blow open the whole story and totally change what the show is about. I think you could safely skip to episode 11 and not miss much.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

End of season 1. With the exception of one episode in season 4, it's pretty close to perfect afterwards.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Arrhythmia posted:

End of season 1. With the exception of one episode in season 4, it's pretty close to perfect afterwards.

To be clear, you mean the finale of season 1, not the beginning of season 2? You should definitely not skip the two-part finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I don't get that sentiment. What's confusing?

You're joking, right? It's gotten EXTREMELY convoluted. I'm not going to drag it too much because it's well executed and it's pretty obvious with how smoothly it's been done that that was always the plan, but it's a wildly different podcast than it used to be, and it is extremely involved.