Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

tithin posted:

I've picked this up again after not playing since pre-heavensward.

If I'm up to "Lady Iceheart" (god alone knows who this could be??) how far along the MSQ am I?

You're about to hit the part where the story improves in quality, and starts a never-ending climb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
One thing I like about ShB over HW is, the NPCs get their dialog updated at the end of the MSQ.

It was always strange to me how Anyx Trine never changes except for Vidofnir even after 3.3, but for one example, the 73 area Amano all have updated dialog.

Also ShadowBringers was great, and I hope the 5.x content doesn't dissapoint either. Post ending: I wonder how they'll tie together the WoL traveling between the First and the Source for the story and what will be happening with the Scions in the First for the Patch content to eventually bring them back.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I just got grand company access.
Please tell me I'm almost out of ARR

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

not even close

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

like, 2.0 doesn't end until you're 50, and then there's another one hundred quests in the 2.x series before heavensward begins

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

You’re about 10% of the way to Heavensward.

I’m not joking.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Don't you join a GC at like level 20

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

You can track your progress here: https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Main_Scenario_Quests

Also, don't go too far down if you don't want spoilers.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Draxion posted:

Don't you join a GC at like level 20

Hell probably.
Something went way out of order for me, so I'm in my early 30's, doing quests that sync me back down to the mid 20s.

This is a weird hell of my own unwitting construction.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Hell probably.
Something went way out of order for me, so I'm in my early 30's, doing quests that sync me back down to the mid 20s.

Hahahaha

No you are not near the end of ARR.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
I am sending my energy to all the dedicated sprouts doing their best to get out of 6 year old content.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We've all done the ARR hump, we know what you're struggling with. It is very worth it.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Krabboss posted:

I am sending my energy to all the dedicated sprouts doing their best to get out of 6 year old content.

The clearest sign of how many new players this game has now is that I've gotten Cape Westwind multiple times this week on daily trial roulette, it's hilarious.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Hell probably.

This list is pretty handy for figuring out where you are in the grand scheme of things, MSQ-wise. I don't think there's anything particularly spoilery in there, it's just quest names and any unlocks that might be associated with the quest.

But yeah the "bazillion post-ARR quests" thing people talk about doesn't even start until you're 50. :v: Hang in there!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
And just to reiterate: if you ask in guild chat or in discord, there are plenty of goons who will likely be more than glad to speed up your queues for quest-progressing duties. We've all been there.

The ARR slog is a bit too sloggy at this point - I've known folks who kind of bounced off it - but it's also a bit frustrating because 2.0, for all it has way too much filler, is still a bit of important establishment and even 2.2 has a specific bit of exposition about how some of the metaphysics of the world work that is just crucial to understanding a lot of the later, better stories. It's relevant as far forward as ShB itself, and without it, you'd be left confused over a lot of the plot.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Keep at it, sprouts! It's worth it!

I bounced on the last Shadowbringers dungeon. The last boss was too hard for me. :( I hope I will do better when fresher but if there are pro tips please share. I am also doing it as AST but that isn't really the root of the issue.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Thinkin’ about giving the beaver the milk now that I’m through the 80 MSQ

Maybe he earned it

edit: does the beaver show up in any raid content

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Tashilicious posted:

expac jobs don't get their artifact gear until they level cap that xpac. DRK and MCH and AST didn't get theirs at 50, only 60. Sam and RDM didn't get theirs at 60, only 70. Dancer and GUN will get theirs at 80

Aww, I wanted new Dancer armor :(

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Aww, I wanted new Dancer armor :(

youll get it at 80

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Thinkin’ about giving the beaver the milk now that I’m through the 80 MSQ

Maybe he earned it

edit: does the beaver show up in any raid content

Please do not feed the beaver.

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.

Mordiceius posted:

Saw the Eden raid boss datamine list and I’m not sure what to think.

Could you link? I shouldn't, but I'm curious.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

Nessus posted:

Keep at it, sprouts! It's worth it!

I bounced on the last Shadowbringers dungeon. The last boss was too hard for me. :( I hope I will do better when fresher but if there are pro tips please share. I am also doing it as AST but that isn't really the root of the issue.

It's mostly learning where the damage is coming from and when.
80 MSQ Dungeon Spoilers
Apokolypse or whatever the name of the long wide AOE needs to be dodged off of the platforms on the side, but watch out as they start to fall apart later. Don't stand on one that looks funky.
The sideways deathrays come from faces on the left and right. One side will go off, and then the other, not sure if there's a tell as to which one. Try to stand between two of the masks on either side so you can dodge quickly. The do a few ticks of damage as they fire so move out as soon as you can if you find out misjudged which one is firing first.
There's a long angled death ray the boss does. I don't know if/how he telegraphs where he'll fire, but like the face death rays it's not instakill if you get hit, just get out ASAP and heal up.
Then there's just your normal whole party AOE you'll need to heal through.

Otherwise it's a long DPS check. Keep your DPS and tank up, toss out buffs as often as you safely can (sleeve draw isn't a bad idea when dodging Apokolypse since you'll have a few secs to stand still). I'd recommend using Nocturnal Sect if you aren't already and keep popping lucid as often as you need and use Neutral Sect if you need to get everyone up fast (the dual aspect part of the spell is nice plus you'll get +20% heal potency while it's active). I'll fully admit I wiped a good 6 times before I got through it. And most of the deaths were on me for sure.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I, meanwhile, have reached what I presume must be the final area of Heavensward, and am quickly approaching the end of 3.0

This place is giving me some real final chapter of Trails in the Sky SC vibes.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

PoorWeather posted:

Could you link? I shouldn't, but I'm curious.
This is spoilers for Eden raid part 1, be warned before clicking.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Terper posted:

I, meanwhile, have reached what I presume must be the final area of Heavensward, and am quickly approaching the end of 3.0

This place is giving me some real final chapter of Trails in the Sky SC vibes.

Azys Lla is pretty much "the Liber Ark, but what if it was designed and operated by Big Mountain R&D".

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Throw the bottle.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

So it looks like essentially savage++ Titan and Leviathan. I'm assuming the arena will be different. I wonder what else will change on the fights. This might be why GNB and DNC don't have Titan/Garuda/ect weapons. It could be they are holding onto them for Eden.

So I just beat the 73 trial and holy poo poo the cutscene after was the best. Don't gently caress with the Fae. When they are united in purpose to mess with you, they take out all the stops. I love that the cutscenes in this expansion haven't been afraid to go full body-horror in interesting ways.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

cathead posted:

This list is pretty handy for figuring out where you are in the grand scheme of things, MSQ-wise. I don't think there's anything particularly spoilery in there, it's just quest names and any unlocks that might be associated with the quest.

But yeah the "bazillion post-ARR quests" thing people talk about doesn't even start until you're 50. :v: Hang in there!

I'm going to die

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

somepartsareme posted:

i have a friend who's played monk and enjoyed it since launch, loved it with tornado kick rotation in SB, but hates it now that they've taken that away and thinks anatman and SSS are useless. so... YMMV

I've never been a big fan of Tornado Kick myself, but you are correct, YMMV.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Solitair posted:

Alright, I finished MSQ last night and the expert dungeons earlier today. Still got a lot of stuff to do in this game:

-Finish getting all the Garo mounts (top priority)

I'm not doing anything else until I finish getting my crafters to 80, but that shouldn't take more than a couple of days at this point. After that, I'm focusing on Garo stuff, too. I'm almost there on the titles, that's not a problem, but also I've barely touched the feast so far. So uh let me know if you want a DRG with very little small-scale pvp experience to come along for feast stuff I guess :v:

pretty sure I'm a Bad at pvp tho

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The 2.x stuff is a loving slog and apparently I'm only a quarter of the way through it, and since I'm a dumb gently caress who plays DPS, all the queue times suck rear end. gently caress

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SunAndSpring posted:

The 2.x stuff is a loving slog and apparently I'm only a quarter of the way through it, and since I'm a dumb gently caress who plays DPS, all the queue times suck rear end. gently caress

If you're on a server with a goon free company, ask if someone can queue up with you as tank or healer to get you the good queue times.

Also: if you're still on the route to level 50 - Enjoy Palace of the Dead as DPS. You're going to be there a while. https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/contentsguide/deepdungeon/

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 10, 2019

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

If you're on a server with a goon free company, ask if someone can queue up with you as tank or healer to get you the good queue times.

I have no idea, the only Primal server listed in the OP is Excalibur

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Free company I was in imploded due to either some dumb RP poo poo, or several jokes I made about pressuring someone to use a jump potion.

It is very unclear, but hilarious.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Zack Ater posted:

I'm not doing anything else until I finish getting my crafters to 80, but that shouldn't take more than a couple of days at this point. After that, I'm focusing on Garo stuff, too. I'm almost there on the titles, that's not a problem, but also I've barely touched the feast so far. So uh let me know if you want a DRG with very little small-scale pvp experience to come along for feast stuff I guess :v:

pretty sure I'm a Bad at pvp tho
Since I get exp on the class I queue with, now I just always switch to WHM since having enough healers is the #1 limiting factor on whether your group implodes in frontlines. It makes killing people a lot harder though, also makes you an lb magnet, which with the melee hits doing what feels like 10k now, they've been seriously buffed.

Never done the feast though, what's it like?

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

SunAndSpring posted:

I have no idea, the only Primal server listed in the OP is Excalibur

You can form parties and queue for instances cross-server as long as you're in the same data center. Recently you can even visit other servers and do overworld stuff! There are some goons on all the NA data centers and some of the others, so you'll probably be able to find someone to help with queues here and/or on the discord.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So I was having a hard time keeping this GNB alive or at least having to heal them a lot, and ended up letting them die once on a big pull. Felt real bad, because as far as I could tell, they were using cooldowns (saved themselves with superboldie) and despite my hopes, were in fact more then geared for the dungeon (400 gear in the 71 dungeon)

I feel like I fall apart under pressure as a healer (WHM) because once I use a few cooldowns, I enter a state where I kinda panic and become unsure what i have left/what I should cast. Particularly when I go from tanks who underpull/pull conservatively who you can keep alive with regen and positive thoughts, to ones who go wall to wall and you're like "I've use all my instant casts, now what?!"

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Algid posted:

Since I get exp on the class I queue with, now I just always switch to WHM since having enough healers is the #1 limiting factor on whether your group implodes in frontlines. It makes killing people a lot harder though, also makes you an lb magnet, which with the melee hits doing what feels like 10k now, they've been seriously buffed.

Never done the feast though, what's it like?

I usually run frontlines as BRD. Still very good at killing people, instant ranged attacks are fantastic, and silencing a healer trying to save themselves or a BLM casting anything is so satisfying. I especially love 72-player frontlines.

Feast, in my very limited experience, is more pressure because you're one of only four so your performance matters more, but also filled with teammates who don't know how to burst someone down. I've also only done training matches so far because A I'm not good at it yet and B I figured it would be easier to get wins in training (it still counts for the garo cheevos.)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

So I was having a hard time keeping this GNB alive or at least having to heal them a lot, and ended up letting them die once on a big pull. Felt real bad, because as far as I could tell, they were using cooldowns (saved themselves with superboldie) and despite my hopes, were in fact more then geared for the dungeon (400 gear in the 71 dungeon)

I feel like I fall apart under pressure as a healer (WHM) because once I use a few cooldowns, I enter a state where I kinda panic and become unsure what i have left/what I should cast. Particularly when I go from tanks who underpull/pull conservatively who you can keep alive with regen and positive thoughts, to ones who go wall to wall and you're like "I've use all my instant casts, now what?!"

Cure II is your fallback if you don't know what heal to cast. Don't bother with Cure I, you have enough mana and a regen is probably fine if you're tempted to cast cure I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Just did the aetherochemical research facility :prepop: