Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Super Dragon was cool as hell and while his gear looked kind of silly in 2007 it was top tier gear during the Revolution Pro days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Mr. Perfect, equally because of his vignettes and the gum slapping.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
I cheered for heel Demolition because of their music and because they just destroyed everyone.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the first heel i wanted to win was in the 1990 royal rumble and it was ted dibiase because he lasted a long rear end time in there and i felt that it would be a 'real life' miracle and amazing thing to see if he won from the #1 position. however this was on a vhs tape a Few years after 1990, in the year 1993, when i watched it. i didn't like ted dibiase before or after that, or anything. hell, i Never liked anyone. gently caress off.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
the first heel i ever liked was Mankind because he was ugly and wore a brown garbage bag and had an abusive mother, like me at the time

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

My first cheering for a heel and booing a face came at the same time. I was 100% on Owen's side during his feud with Bret. I am a younger brother who has felt overshadowed by my big brother for as long as I can remember. Owen was cool and confident and clever and Bret was just some dweeb who couldn't be as perfect as everyone said he was.

I also loved Shawn and Hunter regardless of if they were faces or heels. It took me a long time to realize why exactly I zeroed in on two of the more beautiful and flamboyant wrestlers. I still envy Triple H his gorgeous hair back then. Wrestling is often mocked for being homoerotic but I do legit wonder how many fans learned something about themselves through the sport.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 10, 2019

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I usually cheer faces and boo heels, but I never got into John Cena (maybe just ironically), and I guess I liked heel Kane back then because his gear looked great and he always seemed like he would legitimately murder someone in the ring.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!

NikkolasKing posted:

My first cheering for a heel and booing a face came at the same time. I was 100% on Owen's side during his feud with Bret. I am a younger brother who has felt overshadowed by my big brother for as long as I can remember. Owen was cool and confident and clever and Bret was just some dweeb who couldn't be as perfect as everyone said he was.

I also loved Shawn and Hunter regardless of if they were faces or heels. It took me a long time to realize why exactly I zeroed in on two of the more beautiful and flamboyant wrestlers. I still envy Triple H his gorgeous hair back then. Wrestling is often mocked for being homoerotic but I do legit wonder how many fans learned something about themselves through the sport.

Thanks to Sensational Sherri being the most interesting lady in the sport while I was growing up and also totally gorgeous, I have a thing for crazy raven-haired bad girls to this day.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Someone else already said it, but (after my initial "yay for the good guys :)" phase when I was younger), as a teen I always liked heel Flair in the NWA and hated babyface Hogan in the WWF. I think what finally flipped the switch for me was when "No Holds Barred" came out. Somehow I saw straight away that it was just a Hogan vanity project. I think another factor was that I started to be a fan of Bobby Heenan, too, especially whenever he'd rip on Hogan. And meanwhile, while Hogan was stinking up the ring with Zeus, I would watch Flair having these really good matches with a variety of opponents.

Also,

JK! posted:

Thanks to Sensational Sherri being the most interesting lady in the sport while I was growing up and also totally gorgeous, I have a thing for crazy raven-haired bad girls to this day.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The first heel I cheered was the Million Dollar Man because I thought he looked like my uncle. Weird, I know.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cavauro posted:

the first heel i wanted to win was in the 1990 royal rumble and it was ted dibiase because he lasted a long rear end time in there and i felt that it would be a 'real life' miracle and amazing thing to see if he won from the #1 position. however this was on a vhs tape a Few years after 1990, in the year 1993, when i watched it. i didn't like ted dibiase before or after that, or anything. hell, i Never liked anyone. gently caress off.
apologise for this

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

bartok posted:

Who was the first heel you cheered for and who was the first face you booed?

First heel was Ric Flair, but it was in a match where he basically turned face at the end (WrestleWar '89 against Ricky Steamboat, with Terry Funk losing his mind and attacking him afterwards) and I was cheering both guys.

I took a long gap from wrestling and when I started watching again I was cheering heel Bret and booing face HBK, mostly because Bret was my favorite as a kid and Shawn Michaels seemed like he was really being a dick to a cool dude like Bret.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's a work

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It's hard to say. I grew up rooting strictly along face/heel lines so it took me awhile to break that pattern.
The first time I realized I might have been a fan of a heel is when Cactus Jack turned face in WCW. I loved face turns but when Jack turned face I realized that I wasn't just cheering him now but part of me was cheering for him even before that I just couldn't wrap my head around it.
The first heel I legit cheered while they were still a heel was Chris Jericho. I had gone from a doe-eyed child to a teenager at that point and when Jericho first turned heel I was like 'holy poo poo this dude just became 10,000x more interesting."

As far as booing faces? I legit couldn't tell you. I mean I definitely booed Hogan but only during the WM VI main event because I was a huge Warrior mark but other than that I don't know.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I stopped watching near the end of the Invasion, which I was 11 during, so I never really had anybody I liked or disliked that Vince said I should feel the opposite about until I got back in between RR07 and WM23, when I obviously knew what was up. So I guess technically the first one was Edge, since I remembered him from when I was a kid and he was awesome in 2007, and I could appreciate how good of a villain he was by that point. As far as the opposite I genuinely couldn't tell you, because Cena was on a tear of great matches at that point so I didn't get why everyone hated him so much until closer to when he got injured and I started to see the formula. Maybe Lashley? He pretty much did nothing for me but he was gone before I could develop anything more than aggressive apathy for him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

As far as booing faces? I legit couldn't tell you. I mean I definitely booed Hogan but only during the WM VI main event because I was a huge Warrior mark but other than that I don't know.

Oh poo poo yeah how could I forget that, I was definitely one of those little Hulkamaniacs who suddenly found myself going,"Wait, why is Hogan being such a dick?" after he was shown as being part of the committee that decided Warrior couldn't be both the World Champion and the Intercontinental Champion.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
The first heel I definitely remember cheering for was Razor Ramon. In the New Gen era where there were a lot of dumb gimmicks and I was a little kid who believed everything, Razor stood out to me as a total badass. How he talked, how he moved, his moveset, they were all so different and cool. Also watching the Razor's Edge for the first time had me in awe, because I'd never seen anything like it.

Which brings me to the first face I booed: Bret Hart, I just really wanted to see Razor win the belt at the Rumble. Then a couple weeks later I cheered for Bret again. haha

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The first heel I cheered was Shawn Michaels near the beginning of his singles breakout. The first face I booed was Hogan after Rumble '92. Even as a 9-year-old kid, he came off like a petty jerk costing Sid the title.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I first started watching wrestling with mid-90s WCW and as an edgy teen, I had weird views on who to boo and cheer. I *loved* Chris Jericho and Raven, but hated the nWo (though mostly due to overexposure than anything), but somehow liked the Wolfpac. I booed Goldberg because his matches were all the same. I didn't like Austin at the time, either, since he seemed to take up all of Raw (but I've long since come around on that), but I'd have probably liked him more if I actually got to see storylines come to completion in PPVs.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I guess in a way the first heel I cheered for was the Undertaker. Not for taking on a face, but because WWF had a 900 number poll on who Flair should defend the WWF Championship against at WrestleMania 8 and the options were Hogan, Savage, Sid, Piper and Undertaker. I wanted Undertaker to win the poll because I was so anti-Flair and figured that none of his tricks would work on a guy who couldn't feel pain.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Pretty sure it was Jake Roberts. Snake and DDT combined was too much for a little boy to not think was the coolest.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gavok posted:

I wanted Undertaker to win the poll because I was so anti-Flair and figured that none of his tricks would work on a guy who couldn't feel pain.

Perfect kid logic, I love it :)

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Man, for such a long time for me wrestling was just "one of the shows I watched that I don't think about" that I honestly think the first real cheering for the heel I would have done, based on merch I owned, was for Legend Killer Randy Orton. Since I had the nWo parody shirt, which might have been my first piece of merch.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I remember feeling conflicted because I really liked the Legion of Doom when they debuted in WWF, and I just assumed they were heels because they were so big and scary. So I was relieved to find out they were actually faces. :kiddo:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

First heel was Ric Flair, but it was in a match where he basically turned face at the end (WrestleWar '89 against Ricky Steamboat, with Terry Funk losing his mind and attacking him afterwards) and I was cheering both guys.

Wasn't the first heel I cheered, but I was cheering for Funk in that feud. gently caress Flair. All the heel poo poo he did for years, and then he ducks someone's challenge? Funk gave him what he had coming for a long time.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I didn't really get into wrestling until I was 10 or 11 and had some friends super into it. Almost immediately my favorite character was Bobby Heenan and I cheered almost all of the heels just to troll my friends, largely because I didn't get into wrestling young enough (and this was like 1990-1992 WWF) to ever think it was 'real' so of course Earthquake making slamburgers out of Jake Roberts's snake is funnier and cooler than having a pet snake.

Fast forward to being a teen and getting back into wrestling and thinking that the NWO Wolfpac were super cool, so it's not like I had good taste or anything

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

AkumaHokoru posted:

Hogan was the first face I booed for the same reason.

I think taker was the first heel I cheered for (he was a heel up until he teamed up with team America iirc?

No, he first turned face at (well, directly after) Saturday Night's Main Event where he teamed with Flair against Hogan/Sid. The show also had Savage/Roberts, and ended with Jake standing behind the curtain at the Gorilla position with a chair, waiting for Savage and Liz, and he'd hit whoever would come through first. (Liz) As he swung the chair,
out of nowhere the Undertaker turned up behind him and grabbed the chair, saving Liz.

This aired Feb. 1992, so before WM8 and well before that 1993 Survivor Series.

And I cheered him when he was a heel too. Loved it when he beat Hogan for the belt, hated it when he lost to him almost immediatly after at This Tuesday In Texas.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Bad Wolf posted:

No, he first turned face at (well, directly after) Saturday Night's Main Event where he teamed with Flair against Hogan/Sid. The show also had Savage/Roberts, and ended with Jake standing behind the curtain at the Gorilla position with a chair, waiting for Savage and Liz, and he'd hit whoever would come through first. (Liz) As he swung the chair,
out of nowhere the Undertaker turned up behind him and grabbed the chair, saving Liz.

And I cheered him when he was a heel too. Loved it when he beat Hogan for the belt, hated it when he lost to him almost immediatly after at This Tuesday In Texas.

It also turns out I totally forgot my initial love for demolition was while they were heels but they weren't heels for much longer after I started cheering for them (this was in the superstars era somewhere before Fuji turned on them) well before crush so it was like late 88 or so?

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

AkumaHokoru posted:

It also turns out I totally forgot my initial love for demolition was while they were heels but they weren't heels for much longer after I started cheering for them (this was in the superstars era somewhere before Fuji turned on them) well before crush so it was like late 88 or so?

Fuji turned on Demolition at the '88 Survivor series, so more early to mid I'd guess ?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Bad Wolf posted:

Was "This Tuesday In Texas" a full-price PPV? Apparently it was a failed experiment at trying a secondary PPV time slot, but I imagine that failure also had a lot to do with running two paid shows costing xx American 1991 dollars within six days of each other.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Bad Wolf posted:

Fuji turned on Demolition at the '88 Survivor series, so more early to mid I'd guess ?

this sounds more accurate for sure my memory is fairly unreliable.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Minidust posted:

Was "This Tuesday In Texas" a full-price PPV? Apparently it was a failed experiment at trying a secondary PPV time slot, but I imagine that failure also had a lot to do with running two paid shows costing xx American 1991 dollars within six days of each other.

If I remember the OSW review of the show right, then yeah, it was cheaper than a regular PPV. It was also shorter.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It also rendered the prior Survivor Series completely pointless because it was all an advertisement for This Tuesday in Texas.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It also rendered the prior Survivor Series completely pointless because it was all an advertisement for This Tuesday in Texas.
Oh yeah that's another thing, I recall this being a "surprise" PPV that was only promoted on the episode of Superstars after Survivor Series. Like in kayfabe it was an emergency measure to rectify the heavyweight title situation. Is my memory correct or had they been promoting a special PPV (without an announced title match) since before Survivor Series? The whole thing just seems designed not to make money.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
This Tuesday In Texas is actually a really fun show.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

what's the general opinion on Jay White? Not really familiar with his whole run in the past 3 years but after watching a bunch of Bullet Club retrospectives and his rise in the company it seems like NJPW has a big investment in the guy to have won the belt the way he did.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

what's the general opinion on Jay White? Not really familiar with his whole run in the past 3 years but after watching a bunch of Bullet Club retrospectives and his rise in the company it seems like NJPW has a big investment in the guy to have won the belt the way he did.

he's growing well into his role. i think this years G1 will really be a star making performance for him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

I think they did a great job building him up and he's pretty drat good. That said, his title run wasn't great and I think story-wise it'd have made more sense for him to beat Omega and then lose to Tana. It makes Jay look like a badass for being the one to knock off Kenny instead of beating a tired, beaten up Tanahashi, and Tana gets to be the hero for getting the belt off a guy the audience seems to be invested in hating rather than a guy playing heel for the night in Omega.

Then you can do Tanahashi vs Okada again, or Tanahashi vs Jericho.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

tanahashi was always beating omega at wrestle kingdom though. the idea was omega to win it back when white won it to drop it to okada at MSG. i'd guess that white probably wouldn't be or wasn't keyed in to win until next year but with omega gone, they probably felt they need a transition guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

white is really good now and him vs naito in the budokan is gonna decide the block so yeah he's a future multi-time champion