Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

That Old Tree posted:

Didn't someone do something similar for the Blue Rose Kickstarter? Except they spent the I assume $200+ to get like a custom character published, and they chose some weird dig at SJWs. Which is far more effective a "got em" even if they just got refunded and dumped.

Did this person even back at a level high enough to actively ruin the book, if for some bizarre reason Freyja and Ettin wanted to keep the money?

IIRC they made a woodsman character who was trying to avenge his very young (read: child) bride, and he had an owl called Trigger Warning? I believe the Blue Rose designers modified the character slightly and the screaming began.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

nesbit37 posted:

I agree people doing creative work should get a living wage. I am also aware some people are doing this as a side creative outlet and just want people to enjoy their stuff, and are happy to spend their time making these things and letting people essentially just have them (other than what Gamecrafter is charging to make them). This country is pretty messed up in how pretty much only fields or people that directly make money are deemed valuable by so many, which is a bunch of horseshit. Particularly as a librarian, I die a little inside every time I see people posting online that students should choose a major based on what will make them the most money or the most marketable rather than what they are excited about.
I mean it's unfortunately true at least in America. College is such a massive expenditure that you can't look at it as anything besides buying a license to get a particular job. Study what you care about once you leave or as you can on the side, but college in the US is too expensive to consider as an actual learning institution.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Warthur posted:

Even in the US, basic contract law establishes a contract between backers and project creators: project creators say "if we get funded, we'll produce and give you this stuff" (an offer), making your pledge constitutes acceptance of that offer, the transfer of money from backers to the project creators is the associated consideration, and the fact that the Kickstarter ToS says that a contract is entered into between backers and project creators means that there's no reasonable argument that neither party intended to get into a legally binding contract. This is such foundational stuff that I would be flabbergasted at a US court which ruled that it, in fact, wasn't a contract; I don't rule out the possibility, but it'd come down a judge being staggeringly ignorant of the law rather than there being any legal argument to the contrary having merit.

I don't think it's so much that people don't think there's a legal argument as the amount of money at stake is rarely worth the trouble and expense of legal action, even if you assume there's still money to get back, which is often not the case.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

malkav11 posted:

I don't think it's so much that people don't think there's a legal argument as the amount of money at stake is rarely worth the trouble and expense of legal action, even if you assume there's still money to get back, which is often not the case.

Lol (but a real lol, not an SA mocking lol) at the idea of all the $10 backers forming a class action against a Kickstarter.

Hey people who've done a physical Kickstarter, how to you budget for the marginal cost of stretch goals that getted added to most/all pledges? It looks like the most common answer is 'they don't' but I've been wondering if anyone has a better insight.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh lovely, just found out my copy of the deluxe tiny epic mechs game got trashed by usps because they decided not to forward it to my new address so they just decided to throw it out.

loving hell.

are you 100%? i work at the post office and we don't normally toss out parcels. Usually it goes back to the sender and if they can't return to sender they hang onto it for a long while and then auction it off on that government auction website

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

are you 100%? i work at the post office and we don't normally toss out parcels. Usually it goes back to the sender and if they can't return to sender they hang onto it for a long while and then auction it off on that government auction website

That's what the tracking number tells me, that they tried delivering it on the 19th, left it in the mailbox of the old apartment until the 25th, and then a few days later disposed of it once they tried and failed to return it to sender. The post office themselves have not gotten back to me yet.

Thankfully the people who shipped the game out have decided to consider this as being destroyed during shipping so they're going to send me another copy.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Antivehicular posted:

IIRC they made a woodsman character who was trying to avenge his very young (read: child) bride, and he had an owl called Trigger Warning? I believe the Blue Rose designers modified the character slightly and the screaming began.

I think the whole Soulfuck McSwordWaifu saga (because he put his murdered child bride's soul into his sword) ended when the devs just went "gently caress it, here's your refund, we're not using your character, and since you're no longer a backer, you can't talk back."

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The Shovel Knight Kickstarter has cancelled funding and is going to relaunch in August, now.
They plan to produce a version of the game with standees rather than minis at a $30-35 price point rather than the $70 point of the minis version which will still be available and have "more videos available on the campaign from multiple groups sharing previews and their thoughts on the game" and give themselves more time to market it.

Guessing someone ran projections on how much they thought they'd raise and decided they'd better retool.
None of this solves any of the problems I have with the game of course, but I guess I'm much more likely to dip in $30 out of a love of Shovel Knight than I ever was $70.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Mode 7 posted:

The Shovel Knight Kickstarter has cancelled funding and is going to relaunch in August, now.
They plan to produce a version of the game with standees rather than minis at a $30-35 price point rather than the $70 point of the minis version which will still be available and have "more videos available on the campaign from multiple groups sharing previews and their thoughts on the game" and give themselves more time to market it.

Guessing someone ran projections on how much they thought they'd raise and decided they'd better retool.
None of this solves any of the problems I have with the game of course, but I guess I'm much more likely to dip in $30 out of a love of Shovel Knight than I ever was $70.

I was planning on picking it up for the minis if they did the whole order of no quarter. Still will if the lower price point means they unlock them as stretch goals.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Demigods went live (and is already funded) which is a PbtA 'play the children of the gods in the modern setting' deal. I've seen an AP of it and it seems solid.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

ItBreathes posted:

Lol (but a real lol, not an SA mocking lol) at the idea of all the $10 backers forming a class action against a Kickstarter.

Hey people who've done a physical Kickstarter, how to you budget for the marginal cost of stretch goals that getted added to most/all pledges? It looks like the most common answer is 'they don't' but I've been wondering if anyone has a better insight.

Best practice is "budget for the worst case scenario": figure out what your least profitable backer tiers are in terms of how much money you make from the pledge vs. how much you pay out in fulfilment costs, with and without added costs from stretch goals, and set your funding goal and stretch goals so that you'll be able to complete the project even if everyone buys in at those tiers. I know at least some campaigns have actually done that, but unfortunately I bet it's the exception rather than the rule.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 10, 2019

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Disappointingly, BESM 4th edition Kickstarter has launched to rousing success, hitting $26k of its $20k goal already.

It seems to be trying for a Fate Core/Fate Accelerated style thing, except the lite"stripped down" version is called "Naked" and the cover for it is the same as the full game but the characters are in their underwear. Don't worry, they pull a "see what we did there *wink*" so it's not loving stupid, it's clever!

The lowest character power level is called "sub-human." Cool.

Other than that, I haven't looked at BESM3 in possibly an actual decade or more, but BESM4 appears to be…a tweak on BESM3. At the very least they're not going back to roll-under.

gently caress Mark Mackinnon and don't buy his game.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

What happened, now?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I note they're hiding MacKinnon's name behind Dyskami Publishing. Why on in the good Lord's name would you trust that man with your money, especially when games live OVA exist?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

That Old Tree posted:

Disappointingly, BESM 4th edition Kickstarter has launched to rousing success, hitting $26k of its $20k goal already.

It seems to be trying for a Fate Core/Fate Accelerated style thing, except the lite"stripped down" version is called "Naked" and the cover for it is the same as the full game but the characters are in their underwear. Don't worry, they pull a "see what we did there *wink*" so it's not loving stupid, it's clever!

The lowest character power level is called "sub-human." Cool.

Other than that, I haven't looked at BESM3 in possibly an actual decade or more, but BESM4 appears to be…a tweak on BESM3. At the very least they're not going back to roll-under.

gently caress Mark Mackinnon and don't buy his game.

Am I the only one skeeved out by them calling quickstart rules "BESM Naked" and using the same cover art only with the characters in their underwear?

Spoiled for not really :nws: but just in case:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

That Old Tree posted:

Didn't someone do something similar for the Blue Rose Kickstarter? Except they spent the I assume $200+ to get like a custom character published, and they chose some weird dig at SJWs. Which is far more effective a "got em" even if they just got refunded and dumped.

Did this person even back at a level high enough to actively ruin the book, if for some bizarre reason Freyja and Ettin wanted to keep the money?

Haha oh right, a guy did that so he could go "UH EXCUSE ME I said I wanted my owl companion to be named 'TRIGGER WARNING' this is a violation of our agreed-upon contract and a desecration of Blue Rose's principles of tolerance!!!"

Antivehicular posted:

Oh boy did it ever

There were like a million more of these comments from him but you get the idea. They cancelled his pledge to make him leave.

Remora posted:

What happened, now?

The guy behind the BESM, Mark Mackinnon, is a fraudster who has repeatedly run off with other people's money. He stole the entire print run of Nobilis 2e books and quietly hawked them off on eBay. He also got the license for an A Song of Ice and Fire RPG before the property was hot, and was collecting pre-orders for a supplement that never came out for years. There were at least a few other examples of that, too, but it all runs together in my head now. He's an all-star about not paying freelancers for their work, as well.

Oh, and he's a moron and didn't believe the math in BESM was hosed out the rear end in a top hat until someone sat him down and forced him to play through a 3+ hour combat session with the... I want to say 2e rules, so don't expect a well-tuned game out of this, either.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 10, 2019

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

ItBreathes posted:

The responsible thing would be to incorporate the incremental costs of creating and distributing each stretch goal into the financial model of your project, and then account for that cost when setting the monetary target for the goal.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Am I the only one skeeved out by them calling quickstart rules "BESM Naked" and using the same cover art only with the characters in their underwear?

This is incredibly funny to me because it's meant to be a "gateway product" for people new to RPGs. Imagine having a friend tell you he's going to introduce you to role-playing games and he pulls this out :frogsiren:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Demigods went live (and is already funded) which is a PbtA 'play the children of the gods in the modern setting' deal. I've seen an AP of it and it seems solid.

Either I missed it or there's no rules preview, which is a pretty big red flag for PbtA unfortunately.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lemon-Lime posted:

Either I missed it or there's no rules preview, which is a pretty big red flag for PbtA unfortunately.

There's a quickstart (found at the bottom of the page) complete with the playbooks, but for some reason it's not linked on the KS site.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

slap me and kiss me posted:

The responsible thing would be to incorporate the incremental costs of creating and distributing each stretch goal into the financial model of your project, and then account for that cost when setting the monetary target for the goal.

It's not quite that simple though, unless you have good statistics on your expected pledge mix. If you give every backer a pin or some poo poo the costs depend on how many backers you have. All of your low dollar backers become relatively much less valuable, so you either price the minimum pledge incorporate this cost, or build a model of expected pledge numbers / mix and set the goal accordingly and risk big issues if you're wrong.

I'm not running a Kickstarter or anything btw, I've just been curious if people who have have any insight.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

ItBreathes posted:

so you either price the minimum pledge incorporate this cost

Yes.

Ideally, your minimum pledge will just be digital, but the price of your lowest-tier "physical stuff" pledge should absolutely incorporate the costs of all the incremental production and distribution costs associated with all of your stretch goal stuff.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Oh, and he's a moron and didn't believe the math in BESM was hosed out the rear end in a top hat until someone sat him down and forced him to play through a 3+ hour combat session with the... I want to say 2e rules, so don't expect a well-tuned game out of this, either.

Yes, it would have been 2e because 3e featured a sloppy (even for OGL) rendition of the d20 system.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

ItBreathes posted:

It's not quite that simple though, unless you have good statistics on your expected pledge mix. If you give every backer a pin or some poo poo the costs depend on how many backers you have. All of your low dollar backers become relatively much less valuable, so you either price the minimum pledge incorporate this cost, or build a model of expected pledge numbers / mix and set the goal accordingly and risk big issues if you're wrong.

I'm not running a Kickstarter or anything btw, I've just been curious if people who have have any insight.

So for me, stretch goals are a way of turning economies of scale into free marketing. The more units of your core product you're making, the cheaper each unit is likely to be (so long as you're not using PoD). When I'm planning a KS, I work out how much money I'd need to make 500, 1000, 1500 copies of the book, sourcing quotes. Then I charge people enough that I'm making a good profit at 500, and when we hit those new thresholds I work out what I can spend that increased per-unit profit on to get a further boost to the campaign (or make a better product). If you start making £15 profit per backer when you hit your goal, and then by the time you hit ~200 physical backers you're making £17.50, that's £500 more you can spend on stretch goals without denting your bottom line.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

DalaranJ posted:

Yes, it would have been 2e because 3e featured a sloppy (even for OGL) rendition of the d20 system.

No, that was BESM d20. BESM 3e wasn't a d20 system.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

There's a quickstart (found at the bottom of the page) complete with the playbooks, but for some reason it's not linked on the KS site.

Ah, thanks, I did miss that.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

senrath posted:

No, that was BESM d20. BESM 3e wasn't a d20 system.

Oops.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Anime, as a thing , seems like it covers too many possibilities and genres to be one rpg. But are there any good anime inspired ttrpgs?

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

I note they're hiding MacKinnon's name behind Dyskami Publishing. Why on in the good Lord's name would you trust that man with your money, especially when games live OVA exist?

As much as I like OVA as a system, the dude behind it has kind of been real bad in his own right — years after the game was Kickstarted, with a whole heap of stretch goals promised (including setting and expansion content), none of that material has appeared, and any attempt to ask the dude about it receives a response of “I have nothing to say about it at this time”.

It’s one of those things which I think most people aren’t aware of since that dude hasn’t really done much outside OVA, but it’s still a stinker.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

So this is entirely off topic but I have some questions someone might be able to answer: Does Fria Ligan do their publishing in Sweden, or do they get their KSes fulfilled by Chinese publishers? If they do get it done in Sweden, does Sweden have some kind of government tax incentive to publishing? It seems like they manage to put out books for prices that most American/Canadian/English/other EU companies can't match. Riotminds, in their Trudvang Chronicles KS, also seemed to put out way more book per dollar than expected, although I'm not sure they're Swedish.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

simonwolf posted:

As much as I like OVA as a system, the dude behind it has kind of been real bad in his own right — years after the game was Kickstarted, with a whole heap of stretch goals promised (including setting and expansion content), none of that material has appeared, and any attempt to ask the dude about it receives a response of “I have nothing to say about it at this time”.

It’s one of those things which I think most people aren’t aware of since that dude hasn’t really done much outside OVA, but it’s still a stinker.

I looked and that's unfortunate (although nowhere on MacKinnon's level). I just bought the PDF off DTRPG and thought nothing more of it.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Impermanent posted:

Anime, as a thing , seems like it covers too many possibilities and genres to be one rpg. But are there any good anime inspired ttrpgs?

I'd check out Double Cross. There's a Fatal and Friends writeup Here and Here

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

IIRC they made a woodsman character who was trying to avenge his very young (read: child) bride

I'll be honest, Trigger Warning isn't holding my attention like this is. :pedo:

Kai Tave posted:

Can we talk for a minute about the absolute magic transpiring in the comments for the Hard Wired Island kickstarter where somehow a full-blown right-wing/libertarian wonk wound up backing a game transparently about how much capitalism sucks and that you should be gay and do crime and is now trying to convince people that technology can't possibly be misused as a tool of oppression while also suggesting that only people with high IQs should be sent to space so they "would breed true and not have low-IQ descendents to breed problems in the future." I don't think I've ever seen someone fail to read the room quite so hard before, it's almost impressive.

Deep down Moviebob is libertarian I agree, but he does think he is a liberal.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 11, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Impermanent posted:

I mean, Exalted, but how good that is depends on your taste and if you read the splatbooks where they let people go all Black Dog.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

NutritiousSnack posted:

Deep down Moviebob is libertarian I agree, but he does think he is a liberal.
Where's Moviebob coming up in the whole debacle? :confused:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Impermanent posted:

OVA is decent as a system even if the kickstarter crapped out on the stretch goals.

Like any other medium, it's generally better to find systems meant for specific subgenres of anime. There are a lot of good games translated from Japanese now. Double Cross is great for a dark metahuman game. Tenra Bansho Zero works well for anime featuring mecha, ninjas, kung fu, magitech and other stuff that fits in a scifantsy action setting. The translation has some hiccups in the text occasionally, but nothing too disruptive. Golden Sky Stories is good for heartwarming pastoral adventures as helpful nature sprits in the Japanese countryside. There MAID if you... uh, want that kind of thing, too.

You can find various Western indie games in different stages of completion that emulate other specific genres well, too, but I'm not going to list every possible thing off unless there was something specific you were looking for.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Liquid Communism posted:

I mean, Exalted, but how good that is depends on your taste and if you read the splatbooks where they let people go all Black Dog.

So far, Exalted Third Edition has had very little Black Dog Studios in anything that was published. The only thing I can think of that comes close is a single word in the sourcebook for the decadent British/Chinese/Roman empire, the Realm, which was poorly chosen and might be changed before publication. ('Catamite' got used to mean the masculine equivalent of 'courtesan' which... it is not.)

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Impermanent posted:

I don't know if I'd call it good but some people like Gratuitous Anime Gimmick

it is also guilty of taking way too long with kickstarter stuff, though

it's a work in progress and I feel real bad about it

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

EverettLO posted:

So this is entirely off topic but I have some questions someone might be able to answer: Does Fria Ligan do their publishing in Sweden, or do they get their KSes fulfilled by Chinese publishers? If they do get it done in Sweden, does Sweden have some kind of government tax incentive to publishing? It seems like they manage to put out books for prices that most American/Canadian/English/other EU companies can't match. Riotminds, in their Trudvang Chronicles KS, also seemed to put out way more book per dollar than expected, although I'm not sure they're Swedish.

The only Fria Lagan product I have is Crusader Kings, and so far as I know that was made in China. That's a boardgame with minis, though, so they have different priorities.

(Finally got to play it last night, incidentally - First Crusade with three players. I edged it 8-7-7 despite getting beaten to Jerusalem after having to delay my last Crusade action one turn to make sure I had enough money to buy success because my only male family member was my king. Everyone enjoyed it, but we thought it would be better with 4 or 5.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

Where's Moviebob coming up in the whole debacle? :confused:

It's a joke about High IQ people, his love of sci-fi, and anger over rural America aka jocks who made fun of him in high school