Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Ghostlight posted:

saying the r word will actually get you banned in r/starcitizen, that's why we had to make r/starcitizen_refunds

:discourse:

Fyre Festival taxxe:

Quavers fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Despite the level of control Robbers seems to have over everything in order to achieve his vision it's all very bland looking. Normally when some egomaniac creative person takes over a project it has a voice. Whether it's incredible, mediocre, or awful, there's a definite vision.

With Star Citizen there's none of that, it's all just SPACE MAN and SCI FI GUN.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 10, 2019

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Virtual Captain posted:

I'm watching the 2nd half of the Netflix Fyre festival documentary that I never finished. The dude just fired the catering company 10 days before the event, turns to his mentor and asks 'can you salvage this?'

:laffo::laffo::laffo:

Hot drat I want a Star Citizen version of this.

Citcon is in 10 days and Chris just cancelled the venue. They host the event at a public park but get fined for not having a permit.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Strangler 42 posted:

Citcon is in 10 days and Chris just cancelled the venue. They host the event at a public park but get fined for not having a permit.

On the plus side Lando just needs a scrap of blanket to roll over into and he is home

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Still watching Fyre festival.

Day of Star Citizen release

Backer: "We see this [janky poo poo] on the horizon"

Backer2: "That isn't [Star Citizen], we're just passing through here"

Employee: * laughs knowingly *

Backers: wait wut :gonk:

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 10, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The difference between Fyre Festival and Star Citizen is that the Citizens are currently lounging in their soggy tents looking forward to how awesome all the musical acts will be while the Fyre Festival attendees were desperately trying to get out and not get Lord of the Flies'd.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Strangler 42 posted:

Lando breaks out the breath mints...

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

G0RF posted:

No joke. Did they pick up some SOTA designers recently?

They picked up the SOTA community manager, maybe she recommended some of her old colleagues for this.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

AlbieQuirky posted:

They picked up the SOTA community manager, maybe she recommended some of her old colleagues for this.

I think we are giving them too much credit. They probably just bought these assets off of the SOTA fire sale and repurposed.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

monkeytek posted:

I think we are giving them too much credit. They probably just bought these assets off of the SOTA fire sale and repurposed.

Ye Olde Hot Dogge Stande

choose from Knight’s Ketchup, Milady’s Mustard, Reeve’s Relish, and Churl’s Chili

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

there isn't an ironicat big enough for this what the gently caress

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
SC, the most played space/sci-fe game on Twitch (after SC2, SC, Warframe, HALO MCC, RimWorld and HALO 5). Checkmate, goonies!

Actually, at the time of the writing of this post, it has whopping five more viewers than Elite: Dangerous and they are directly neighbouring. Best spent 300+M ever for 329 Twitch viewers.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

SC, the most played space/sci-fe game on Twitch (after SC2, SC, Warframe, HALO MCC, RimWorld and HALO 5). Checkmate, goonies!

Actually, at the time of the writing of this post, it has whopping five more viewers than Elite: Dangerous and they are directly neighbouring. Best spent 300+M ever for 329 Twitch viewers.

5 more viewers than a game that was actually released in 2014 and has basically hit end-of-life, you say?

MOST SUCCESSFUL TIER-ZERO GAME EVER

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Update: Elite Dangerous is now ahead by a dozen viewers, and Space Station 13 has fifty more than both.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lladre at 3 PM posted:

I gave it a thumbs down because I was watching it on my phone and there was no sound.

Lladre at 6 PM posted:

Apparently my sound was off.

This is how you do comedy, people

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Sarsapariller posted:

5 more viewers than a game that was actually released in 2014 and has basically hit end-of-life, you say?

Spread across 29 broadcasters. For an avg. of 10 viewers per broadcaster. Latch your spaceship to Twitch wealth and fame me boys & girls ( who am I kidding, there are no girls)!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Thats... not a pun.

Idiot.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Colostomy Bag posted:

How's your bionic skull doing? Do you always look up?

Dogs can't look up. Ergo, cats always look up.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Virtual Captain posted:

I'm watching the 2nd half of the Netflix Fyre festival documentary that I never finished. The dude just fired the catering company 10 days before the event, turns to his mentor and asks 'can you salvage this?'

:laffo::laffo::laffo:

Hot drat I want a Star Citizen version of this.

Dont worry, CInotg have been recording behind the scenes footage since 2015 so that they can have their meteoric rise to gaming stardom recorded and ready for the world!

Seriously what the gently caress ever happened with that?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The squatty potty guy made a new meme video telling the haters to stop recycling old jokes. It's not worth posting here because it is cringy and has zero self-awareness. Maybe if the game looked anywhere near close to done people wouldn't joke about their grandkids playing it. It says a lot about the state of the game that this is one of the few things backers had a circlejerk over this year. Nothing's happening.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

It's really nice that people care, I mean that :)
Yeah it sort of is like a franken thing, you have bulges of bone behind your ear lobe, that's your Mastoid, they drill into that and screw em in.
The headband is a temporary thing just so I can get a feel for it, it looks like this:

So you wear it a bit like a pair of glasses, but on the back of your head, this presses the hearing aids onto the Mastoid, so I get about 50% of the benefit compared to the final version - It works really well, but has taken some getting used to.
It's very tiring, they warn you about this, your brain gets tired because it is doing a lot of re learning, it;s a strange tiredness, it's a foggy feeling.

It's all a bit mad really, but on the upside redit has delivered in spades today :v:

Hope you get well soon :pgabz:

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lol Guys

Remember Gillian Anderson got paid to have her name somewhere in a trailer about this “game”

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sarsapariller posted:

Nah, DayZ is still far ahead of SC on Twitch ranks (sure, it had release date, but according to many is still lacking and "Tier 0").

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Tokamak posted:

The squatty potty guy

I had forgotten about this delightful individual. My recollection is that he didn’t work for Squatty Potty, but was just such a fanboy of both that and Star Citizen that he brokered the Squatty Potty giveaway at the whale dinner.

What have I even just typed?

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

list of fauna in star citizen:

1. whales
2. bears
3. sand worms
4. spacemen
5. space women???
6. turtle

am i missing anything?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Fish. In a Fish tank.

Edit: And sometimes not in a tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2dCVg6QKqg&t=96s

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 10, 2019

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Drunk Theory posted:

Glad some of em are now going with “it was the journey all along”. For those of us with none or very little invested years ago, I kinda agree.

That's been the schtick for a while. It's the hedging that would have been heresy a few years ago and now is a safe bet. There's still going to be people hardlining it but every passing day without the BDSSE grinds down those who aren't willing to spite pledge. When the investors come calling and the whole thing burns it will be told as a tale of how Chris Roberts flew too close to the sun and they were happy to drop 20 grand just to be a part of something so great.

Sarsapariller posted:

Meanwhile if you go to Warframe's reddit right now and post a video of npc's getting stuck in walls and guns firing backwards and stupid pratfalls, they're going to laugh and upvote you, because bugs are funny and they haven't staked out some lunatic position about DE being the savior of all gaming.

Pfft, just show funny bugs on your actual devstream. The one with the early hoverboards and vehicles exploding randomly because they couldn't handle certain types of terrain was great too. Of course you'd never find those bugs, since they were fixed before release because DE isn't open and honest about development. Checkmate, goonie.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Bootcha posted:

Fish. In a Fish tank.

Edit: And sometimes not in a tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2dCVg6QKqg&t=96s

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Mailer posted:

That's been the schtick for a while. It's the hedging that would have been heresy a few years ago and now is a safe bet. There's still going to be people hardlining it but every passing day without the BDSSE grinds down those who aren't willing to spite pledge. When the investors come calling and the whole thing burns it will be told as a tale of how Chris Roberts flew too close to the sun and they were happy to drop 20 grand just to be a part of something so great.

I think it's a combination of money over time that make some backers unable to see the extent of their emotional/psychological investment.

Kind in the same sense when you confront a smoker about the money they spend annually on cigarette packs. "Small" purchases are waived off as "It's just 4/5/7/10 bucks a pop". Annually it's waived off as "Well do you want to measure my McDonalds intake now? How about my toll road payments? How about how much I tip service?"

I would say no one's pledging in desperation right now, at least in the sense of "OH GOD THIS IS ALL FOR NAUGHT IF I DON'T DROP A GRAND RIGHT NOW".

But panic doesn't drive sales. Habit and hobby does, like that sleazeball video stated from awhile back. That's why we'll never here the alarm bells go off until it's too late. In a sense the ELE might have already happened, but the "OH GOD WHAT THE gently caress HAPPENED" event will be far too late to do anything about.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Toxic Mental posted:

lol Guys

Remember Gillian Anderson got paid to have her name somewhere in a trailer about this “game”

I like to imagine she spent my kickstarter money on a really nice sandwich.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jul 10, 2019

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Seriously what the gently caress ever happened with that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_McFarland_(fraudster) lol that url
Fyre Media claimed to be worth $90 million. They only had about 6,000 customers and maybe 1/3rd of those actually arrived on the island. To try to pay for everything Billy defrauded multiple investors. Wikipedia says he gathered $26 million from multiple sources.

Those are peanut numbers compared to what CIG claims to have raised. If they can get into that much trouble with 6,000 customers, imagine what CIG is capable of.

Anyways Billy is in jail for 6 years. In one scene you see him sitting at a table with one of his main investors grasping at straws for new ideas to raise money from their customers. If that doesn't immediately conjure up the image of Chris/CIG selling the newest Star Citizen twist every year I don't know what to tell you.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jul 10, 2019

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Virtual Captain posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_McFarland_(fraudster) lol that url
Fyre Media claimed to be worth $90 million. They only had about 6,000 customers and maybe 1/3rd of those actually arrived on the island. To try to pay for everything Billy defrauded multiple investors. Wikipedia says he gathered $26 million from multiple sources.

Those are peanut numbers compared to what CIG claims to have raised. If they can get into that much trouble with 6,000 customers, imagine what CIG is capable of.

Anyways Billy is in jail for 6 years. In one scene you see him sitting at a table with one of his main investors grasping at straws for new ideas to raise money from their customers. If that doesn't immediately conjure up the image of Chris/CIG selling the newest Star Citizen twist every year I don't know what to tell you.

:discourse::five::bravo:

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Gosts posted:

list of fauna in star citizen:

1. whales
2. bears
3. sand worms
4. spacemen
5. space women???
6. turtle

am i missing anything?

Dancy cat
Bull
Sheep

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Dooguk posted:

Dancy cat
Bull
Sheep

Fidelitously simulated bacteria.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Dementropy posted:

Still on the front page:

I did a trip report on Area 18 a while back. To summarize, most of it looks like absolute poo poo for a supposedly AAAA game that has cost 250 million dollars so far. Just an empty space full of disparate slapped together art assets with no gameplay value.

This is a Star Citizen high fidelity pizza stand at 4K/max settings.

This is future/cyberpunk Prague in Dues Ex: Mankind Divided (2016)

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

"One of the challenges we had over many decades was most of the people we were dealing at publishers were from a marketing background. It's a bit like building a house. If you want to show the house off to someone who isn't a builder and doesn't understand how houses are built, you end decorating the house to make a milestone it look pretty but you haven't done the plumbing yet. But then the first thing after the milestone is to rip out all the furniture and decoration out just so you can do the plumbing. It's a slightly different mindset."

:lol:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

What AI updates in 3.6? :thunk: