Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Quavers posted:

"One of the challenges we had over many decades was most of the people we were dealing at publishers were from a marketing background. It's a bit like building a house. If you want to show the house off to someone who isn't a builder and doesn't understand how houses are built, you end decorating the house to make a milestone it look pretty but you haven't done the plumbing yet. But then the first thing after the milestone is to rip out all the furniture and decoration out just so you can do the plumbing. It's a slightly different mindset."

:lol:

Game development works in mysterious ways.
Known only to that Kazan, and a few select Shitizens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

reverend crabhands posted:

:love:

But also, good news!

Your video that was spreading hatred and disinformation was locked down by the guardians of the sc reddit before it caused to much damage/unease.

Showing videos of this mess and PoS PTU with dozens of hilarious bugs and simply non functional mechanics or weird interactions does not fit their narrative.

I wonder if the r/starcitizen censorship happens because they feel and know we are right or if it still is plain denial?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dooguk posted:

Dancy cat
Bull
Sheep

Keetahs
Bugs
Space hello kittys

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

colonelwest posted:

I did a trip report on Area 18 a while back. To summarize, most of it looks like absolute poo poo for a supposedly AAAA game that has cost 250 million dollars so far. Just an empty space full of disparate slapped together art assets with no gameplay value.

This is a Star Citizen high fidelity pizza stand at 4K/max settings.

This is future/cyberpunk Prague in Dues Ex: Mankind Divided (2016)

I don't see any difference between the two screen caps.

Seriously though, Mankind was a lovely game in the sense you think you are fighting a mini boss then credits start rolling.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

colonelwest posted:

That's not Prague, that's the pre-fabbed wondercity turned internment camp that is Utalek/Golem City.

DXMD is a good game that got a lot of bad rep because of publishers ramming in microtransations for no reason. The one thing that did genuinely bum me about it though: You know the bad guys win in the end, because the first game wouldn't happen if they didn't. The curse of being a prequel I suppose.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Mr.PayDay posted:

I wonder if the r/starcitizen censorship happens because they feel and know we are right or if it still is plain denial?

I don't think it's either. There's an entire subset of people out there who think they're shaping the course of history with likes and upvotes. It's their battlefield, and they have no idea that none of it matters. To them, enough likes, enough upvotes, and the suppression of the opposite means they "win." When the thing fails to materialize in real life is when the really juicy emotional breakdowns happen. "I don't understand!"

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I think he's got them there. Out of all the mechanics in Star Citizen, it's the insurance system that is the least thought out and most problematic.

(/s)

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Boy, does that guy not understand game development.

Anyway, I'm sure the citizens will gently put this poor lost soul right in a very inclusive and supportive manner.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

The talk of „insurance“ will meet the participants on a whole different layer after the SC project is abandoned with „we tried, here is what’s playable, resources and technology are major roadblocks finally, but thanks for the journey“.
It will be funny reading the meltdowns of lost money, lies, unfulfilled promises and the question who is at fault and how to get the money back lol.

But yeah , make up your mind about jpeg insurances in a not even partially finished pre Alpha Demo of irrelevant use cases lmao 😂

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tooterfish posted:

That's not Prague, that's the pre-fabbed wondercity turned internment camp that is Utalek/Golem City.

DXMD is a good game that got a lot of bad rep because of publishers ramming in microtransations for no reason. The one thing that did genuinely bum me about it though: You know the bad guys win in the end, because the first game wouldn't happen if they didn't. The curse of being a prequel I suppose.

It's Útulek (Refuge in Czech) and it's placed on outskirts of Prague (Golem comes from Prague myths about Rabbi Löwe, thus Golem City).
I can actually confirm that while wonky at places (other than this screenshot), the localization on this is done fairly nicely. On the left the letters say "Fruits" (Ovoce) and "Vegetables" (Zelenina) exactly as is used in shops, on the middle right you can read "Water" (Voda). To me nothing stands out as unbelievable in that picture, maybe aside of the cables - in such slums, cables would be fast sold for scraps if left hanging like that.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

colonelwest posted:

I did a trip report on Area 18 a while back. To summarize, most of it looks like absolute poo poo for a supposedly AAAA game that has cost 250 million dollars so far. Just an empty space full of disparate slapped together art assets with no gameplay value.

This is a Star Citizen high fidelity pizza stand at 4K/max settings.

Ok when you put it that way I see everyone's point. That does look pretty rear end.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
Star Citizen: Why I think Star Citizen isn’t for me

more like

Star Citizen: Why I think Star Citizen isn’t

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Gosh, there's just no possible solution to making these long artificial travel times in a video game fun! I just can't think of anything that would please everyone! :thunk:

Oh god I hope they actually do this

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Boy, does that guy not understand game development.

Anyway, I'm sure the citizens will gently put this poor lost soul right in a very inclusive and supportive manner.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Moved to concern.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Mr.PayDay posted:

Charitably I think this is protecting citizens from themselves before they do something that will get them or the sub blacklisted or w/e. Dancycat is such a lightning rod for hate.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

I'm beginning to have doubts that Star Citizen is fun or good.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Tsar Mikey posted:

Maybe you should pledge more. You will feel better then.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

cables would be fast sold for scraps if left hanging like that.

Fiber doesn't have inherent scrap value. :D

Tsar Mikey posted:

Heresy, burn the witch.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

My favorite part of video games is quick time events while watching the loading screen. - Citizens

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They literally promised an companion tablet/phone app before the kickstarter ended. It's a kickstarter stretch goal lol

http://starcitizentracker.github.io/#companion_application

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Z2Fr9fHMc&t=283s

IRL MOBIGLASS CONFIRMED!

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Gosh, there's just no possible solution to making these long artificial travel times in a video game fun! I just can't think of anything that would please everyone! :thunk:

Wait, SC doesn't have borderless mode? Even hacked in?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

:reddit: posted:

ships just straight-up exploding into 1000 pieces will be rare

lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This footage is from 2016 however all of these bugs still exist.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Good game design:
Make loading screens take so long and have events that will halt and reset the process that players demand a companion notification app.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Fidelity!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Is this the Sims expansion pack?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Star Citizen: Synecdoche, Hurston

You'll get it if you've seen the movie

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Quavers posted:

Fidelity!

Fashion that looks like it came from 2005 right down to the dork wearing a suit jacket with a pocket square and an ironic graphic t-shirt.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

https://twitter.com/nathanfielder/status/620060895209779200

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i read more and more about citizers telling doubters (even people with mild criticism/complaints) to:

step away
play something else
go away
leave sc behid
gently caress off
etc.

what if cig themselves figured out: drat, we have to get rid of our backers/supporters. we must alienate them from the community and the product so they go away themselves. i mean,that would be the best way to destroy a community: make critics feel like the community hates them. so they go away.

fake edit: i hope that makes me the FUDster of the day

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 10, 2019

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Tsar Mikey posted:

Fashion that looks like it came from 2005 right down to the dork wearing a suit jacket with a pocket square and an ironic graphic t-shirt.

Yeah but this is just perfect for the sub-section of the citizenry who identify as space bros. Stayin' frosty and blowin' the top off a cold one - absolutely totally like in real life!

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Bumble He posted:

i read more and more about citizers telling doubters (even people with mild criticism/complaints) to:

step away
play something else
go away
leave sc behid
gently caress off
etc.

what if cig themselves figured out: drat, we have to get rid of our backers/supporters. we must alienate them from the community and the product so they go away themselves. i mean,that would be the best way to destroy a community: make critics feel like the community hates them. so they go away.

fake edit: i hope that makes me the FUDster of the day

It's even on video. Remember Ben's rant about trolls ruining threads in the old forums? Then banning the woman who was getting harassed was just the cherry on the top.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

He's a national treasure.

So Amazon Game Studios laid down a big 'nuhuh' on the doubters by announcing a LOTR MMO. No word on the engine selection;

https://gematsu.com/2019/07/amazon-game-studios-announces-free-to-play-the-lord-of-the-rings-mmo-for-console-pc

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ok when you put it that way I see everyone's point. That does look pretty rear end.

These comparisons are never fair though. It's easy to take one of the best-looking areas in game X and one of the worst-looking areas in game Y. There are locations in Star Citizen that look much, much better and closer to this Deus Ex's pic.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nyast posted:

These comparisons are never fair though. It's easy to take one of the best-looking areas in game X and one of the worst-looking areas in game Y. There are locations in Star Citizen that look much, much better and closer to this Deus Ex's pic.

Pretty sure they were comparing slum food areas.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

JugbandDude posted:

It's even on video. Remember Ben's rant about trolls ruining threads in the old forums? Then banning the woman who was getting harassed was just the cherry on the top.

I forgot CIG did this. In order to just get the problem to go away, they banned the woman poster who did nothing but exist. While her online harassers were told by CIG that everything would be okay and they did nothing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Lladre posted:

Pretty sure they were comparing slum food areas.

Yeah, a close view from a generic asset in Star Citizen, versus an important street / hub area in Deus Ex.

It would be more relevant to compare it, to, say, the slum / marketplace in Levski:

.. but of course, that wouldn't support the argument that Star Citizen looks like crap.

Look, I can agree the art direction isn't exactly inspired. It's all brown and generic poo poo; but in terms of quality, it doesn't look like crap. It just doesn't. There are a lot of things to criticize in Star Citizen, but I don't think the art quality is one. That's in fact one of the things I consider them to be successful at ( that, plus milking whales and deceiving backers ).