Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Dilber posted:

There was some soviet research on injecting adrenaline pre-lift, and it didn't make you stronger.

soviets researchers had a lot of fun didn't they
It helps when the cost of life is so low

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
In America they would have just tested it on black people instead

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
The cost of life is the same everywhere. All it costs is a bust

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Doing some benching with this weird loving thing.

Apparently it does something? I dunno.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

It gives mark bell money.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It makes lifting the weight easier. The clip-on tie to a bench shirt's double windsor knot.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Makes rows way harder though

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

UnfurledSails posted:

Makes rows way harder though

lol

Flipgrip
Feb 16, 2007

I think it was maybe forums tapes player krutster who wore a bench shirt backwards and did a bunch of lmao heavy cable rows? Good stuff.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Flipgrip posted:

I think it was maybe forums tapes player krutster who wore a bench shirt backwards and did a bunch of lmao heavy cable rows? Good stuff.

Face pulls

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MarcusSA posted:

Doing some benching with this weird loving thing.

Apparently it does something? I dunno.

Works for dips too.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime

Dilber posted:

There was some soviet research on injecting adrenaline pre-lift, and it didn't make you stronger.

soviets researchers had a lot of fun didn't they

I remember watching some TV program as a kid where they injected a UFC fighter with adrenaline to see if it made him punch harder. I don't remember the result, but it did make him burst into tears after punching a test dummy as hard as he could.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

MA-Horus posted:

but coffee is not marketed with names like "NOSPLODE" or "COCAINE" or "C4" or "PROPHECY" or "VAPOR-RIPPED X5" or "MUTANT MADNESS" or "SUPERFREAK" or "MR HYDE" or "POWDER BURN" or "BULL DOSE" or "JUICED" or "RIPPED FREAK"

how can it possibly work

e: gently caress it

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jul 10, 2019

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
What's the point of wearing rubber suits and power armor to lift weights unless you're competing? It just makes it easier to lift it because you're gettin assistance

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Same reason you use chains or bands it makes the easier part of the lift harder. On bench it allows you to keep training the triceps hard when the chest/shoulders need to recover. It gives you an opportunity to use a supramaximal weight in a full rom which builds confidence.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Collapsing Farts posted:

What's the point of wearing rubber suits and power armor to lift weights unless you're competing? It just makes it easier to lift it because you're gettin assistance
You can lift way more weight with a sling shot. On average, 44lbs more. It forces you to into an advantageous bench position.

"It's fun" and "It's something different" and "you can confidently handle more weight". That last one is a big mental factor. Think about how heavy some weights used to be that are just every day trivial now to you.

Guyver posted:

Same reason you use chains or bands it makes the easier part of the lift harder. On bench it allows you to keep training the triceps hard when the chest/shoulders need to recover. It gives you an opportunity to use a supramaximal weight in a full rom which builds confidence.
Trciep usage decreases significantly when using the slingshot.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 10, 2019

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Khorne posted:

Trciep usage decreases significantly when using the slingshot.
Really? Okay then.

Oh it's probably the elastic. It's like a reverse band movement where instead of added weight it adds assistance. Which carries stored energy and built momentum through to the top of the movement. Never thought about it that way, just kind of lumped it in with other overloads.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 10, 2019

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Collapsing Farts posted:

Variation

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Doctors thought i had strep, now it looks like it might be mono. Is this the end?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

david carmichael posted:

Doctors thought i had strep, now it looks like it might be mono. Is this the end?

Sick cut bro

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Slingshots are cool for powerlifting because it allows you to train with like a 10% overload and forces you to just handle that heavy weight (even if portions of the lift are easier)

It also blasts my pecs and tris in a way raw benching never has. Long story short, I'm now heavily into latex play

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

MikeCrotch posted:

Long story short, I'm now heavily into latex play

Thread title tia

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

The Slingshot is also a really cool tool for training during certain types of shoulder rehab. It takes a lot of stress off the shoulders in the bottom position and still allows you to train.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

david carmichael posted:

RIP

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Whipstickagostop posted:

I remember watching some TV program as a kid where they injected a UFC fighter with adrenaline to see if it made him punch harder. I don't remember the result, but it did make him burst into tears after punching a test dummy as hard as he could.

I gave myself a shot during a wilderness emt training and all it did was make me super nauseous and dizzy. I probably would have cried if I tried to punch something as well

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I had a blue ribbon day in the gym yesterday. I started off with a 3:16.6 1000m row, which is good enough for top 100 in the C2 rankings for this year.

Next I hit a new 1RM OHP (177.5), followed it up with a new 1RM back squat (347.5) and finished it off with a new 1RM deadlift (375).

Also my deadlift just finally really clicked (I hadn't been explosive enough on the initial pull) and I think I could have gotten 385 but I got greedy and tried for 405 and ran out of time.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Congrats man

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Howdy. For 5-6 years I was very sporadic on going to the gym, maybe 1.5 times a week. I was athletic and did sports in high school, but dropped off rapidly by my late twenties. Now at 35, I mostly did machines and squats - never moved beyond 3x8@135. Since February I've been in a nice severance vacation, and overdid it on sitting on my lovely couch. I have already been having neck and back pain every day by the time worked ended, but starting around April I was getting tingling burning feet whenever I would go to bed. Talked to a doctor and he guessed it was pinched nerve and not diabetes as I feared; blood tests borne that out. So I decided to get serious about rebuilding my body.

8 weeks into StrongLifts and I'm doing squats 5x5@210. On a lark I tried 2 plates in the middle of my work sets and easily got 3 reps! Hell yeah. I started low on everything else and have yet to miss a set, except on squats (it's coming soon though - I see you, OHP). Nothing special compared to the beefy boys in here, but I had never in my life squatted more than 135!

At this point, though, I feel like the squats are starting to get to me. I basically don't have DOMS problems or old man walk the next day and feel recovered after a rest day, except for squats. I'm needing 2 rest days for them, and I'm assuming this is partially because it's my strongest lift, and partly because of the whole 3x a week programming, and partly because I'm gettin old. I do protein shakes and eat pretty well, though I'm restricting enough to have lost about 8 pounds in 2 months (6'3", down to 233 so I have the fat to spare I think. For now).

There's another wrinkle. About 12 years ago I had a really awful right ankle strain - probably should have gone to the doctor but this was before the stay-on-parents-insurance-until-26 law was in effect, it was over the summer so I had no health insurance. I knew it was weak at holding weight on the inside part of the foot, but it wasn't til years later when I started having pain in other areas that I finally traced the issues down my neck and back back to the ankle. (Side note - do the drat adductor machine. I tore the left, over-compensating adductor, and it was 9 months of constant walking pain that only like 10 doctors will operate on and they don't take insurance. Incredibly luckily it eventually healed but if it didn't, there's ton of stories of athletes who basically never run again).

So naturally my left side is way stronger and I've pieced together that the left lower back pain I get is probably SI joint issues, due to lateral pelvic tilt caused by my body working around the ankle instability - my left hip is rotated forward and my right hip is rotated backwards so I can toe-step. Squats are now mildly irritating it - only the day of, and it feels better the next day. Which is still terrifying because I've read several account here of feeling nothing during workouts, mild soreness afterwards, and then inability to walk the next day. It's improving a little bit because I'm focusing on making sure the right side is contributing better, but it's gonna be a long long time until they get anywhere near even.

So between the body imbalance and the heavy squatting programming I'm thinking I should make a change before I get injured. Prime contender for now is GZCLP - 2 blocks of squatting every 8 days along with more dead lifts seems like a better spread of exercises, plus I can bump up to 4 workouts per 8 days instead of 3 workouts per 7. More upper body seems good too, and it appears it'll save time - 5 sets of squats with some warmup sets is approaching 45 minutes currently. I like the progression strategy as well. Does this seem like a solid change to do for 2-3 months? Then I'll probably move to one of the intermediate programs, but I like the simplicity of this program.

Also, anybody ever have full chain imbalances like this or advice for improving SI joint stuff? I don't put weight on my joints solidly on my right side, it's like my body tries to arch around the in-step of my foot. Lifting is helping it, obviously, but I'd like to try and isolate that side and do some extra work to strengthen it faster. When I try to arch the right side of my lower back, it feels like the left SI joint is straining. I'm doing extra adductor work on the right but I don't quite understand the biomechanics well enough to say like - do banded clamshells or whatever.

And thanks for the inspiration along the way! Been fun reading this over the past weeks, even if you jerks use more acronyms and jargon than the military.

Oh, and the burning feet problem is down by 80-90% since starting this and I feel better than ever.

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 10, 2019

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Sir this is a McDonald's drive thru

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Omnikin posted:

Sir this is a McDonald's drive thru

Oh. Right. Is McRib back? Is it good for gains?

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Enderzero posted:

I like the progression strategy as well. Does this seem like a solid change to do for 2-3 months? Then I'll probably move to one of the intermediate programs, but I like the simplicity of this program.
I've recently picked up lifting after a few years off and am doing GZCLP to get back into the swing of things. It's good, and much more fun to do than SL or SS.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Three benches in my gym and all three are being taken up by not benchers. One dude full body shrugging 4 plates, one dude deadlifting 3, and a fitspo chick doing butt raises.

All 3 can be done elsewhere, I can only bench here :(

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
I assume they're all next to or in close proximity to each other, so assert your dominance by lying down in between the benches where you're right in the walking path and do dumbbell floor presses while loudly grunting

Then hike your leg and pee on the bench

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Fhqwhgads posted:

Three benches in my gym and all three are being taken up by not benchers. One dude full body shrugging 4 plates, one dude deadlifting 3, and a fitspo chick doing butt raises.

Indulge me, how does one deadlift on a bench? That's a hell of a deficit...

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Day two of the GVT program I'm following and my legs are like jelly. I figured out how to squat a single plate by holding the bar with the opposite hand.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

VorpalFish posted:

Indulge me, how does one deadlift on a bench? That's a hell of a deficit...

To indulge, they took the bar and are deadlifting on the floor in front of the now empty bench. No, there aren't spare bars I could take to bench while they're doing that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Enderzero posted:

Oh. Right. Is McRib back? Is it good for gains?

McDonalds is great for gains.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fhqwhgads posted:

Blessed gym randoms.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Fhqwhgads posted:

To indulge, they took the bar and are deadlifting on the floor in front of the now empty bench. No, there aren't spare bars I could take to bench while they're doing that.

Have you considered asking to work in, then unloading all the weight and putting it back on the bench when it's your turn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

there was a girl at the gym today using the the bench on the only seated cable row to do single leg glute bridges but she was far more attractive than me so I made sure to keep my distance