Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

you will never find a non-poo poo politician of any party south of the Mason-Dixon Line, they don't exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

fyi, there's another suit over this by Congress that's still alive

states suing on behalf of their businesses, which are being unfairly out-competed by Trump's hotels, was never the strongest case in my opinion

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

you will never find a non-poo poo politician of any party south of the Mason-Dixon Line, they don't exist

Sheila Jackson Lee seems cool. As is Lloyd Dogget.

If you mean statewide politicians though, yeah you're right about that.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
What's the current connection between the DNC and McGrath? Are they fully lined up behind her or is she just one of the candidates running?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FuturePastNow posted:

Stacey Abrams?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

at this point support for universal healthcare should be a requirement for a democrat at any level.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

Stacey Abrams?

yeah - love when people do the extremely cool leftist thing of erasing all the progressives, who happen to be disproportionately people of color, in the south

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1148971216637714432

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Right wing dems in the south sounds like that new Joker movie. It's about a guy named the Joker, but it has nothing to do with the character, the comics, or other movies. At what point do you just start calling them Republicans?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Just imagine the future English classes.
"Well the 20th century brought us authors like Hemingway and Fitzgerald that wrote great books and poems. Then came the 21st century with self proclaimed wordsmiths like CarpeDonktum and mad_liberals that made such inspiring memes as writing "Triggered libs?" over an image of a frog"

Charlz Guybon posted:

Trump isn't some invincible godlike figure, his support has a breaking point, just like every other wannabe strongman.

Hopefully along the lines of Stalin and nobody bothers to check on him because it sounds like he's throwing another twitter tantrum

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 10, 2019

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Love that the judges and Attorney General appointed by the criminal can determine when the criminal is doing crimes

Great Constitution; no flaws whatsoever! :downsbravo:

Undocumented Gamer
Jan 9, 2019
Does anyone know of a summary or podcast of all the Epstein bullshit that's happened over the years. Theres so much going on about him that crimes it seems everything is being mixed together and I'm having problems figuring out what's true and what's projection/lies.

Thanks in advance.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/1148973627108409344

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Sir Lemming posted:

"Huh, didn't realize she could give the finger."

"Imagine how it must have inspired all those troops in the Revolutionary war"

gregday
May 23, 2003

Melania was absolutely trafficked.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Undocumented Gamer posted:

Does anyone know of a summary or podcast of all the Epstein bullshit that's happened over the years. Theres so much going on about him that crimes it seems everything is being mixed together and I'm having problems figuring out what's true and what's projection/lies.

Thanks in advance.

The Behind the Bastards episode on him was pretty informative, I found.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Undocumented Gamer posted:

Thanks in advance.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/09/podcasts/the-daily/jeffrey-epstein-sex-trafficking.html

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Beep boop the Appalachian Democratic party is still largely the remains of the pre-alignment party and they're going to behave like it.

That being said, running as being pro-Trump rather than being a populist who points out Trump's BS is a pretty dumb loving stance.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 10, 2019

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

SocketWrench posted:

"Well the 20th century brought us authors like Hemingway and Fitzgerald that wrote great books and poems. Then came the 21st century with self proclaimed wordsmiths like CarpeDonktum and mad_liberals that made such inspiring memes as writing "Triggered libs?" over an image of a frog"

Hopefully along the lines of Stalin and nobody bothers to check on him because it sounds like he's throwing another twitter tantrum

Thank you for reminding me that Jordan Peterson's "clean your room; also women are very scary" pseudobabble may some day be read in the same reverence as Voltaire or Sartre :suicide:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Remember when a certain woman in the House said poo poo that didn't even come close to anti-semitism and the right went absolutely bat poo poo bonkers over it as anti-semitism?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

RuanGacho posted:

McConnell is an equal level threat to our government integrity as Trump himself, its not like she becomes speaker if she wins.

I'm ok with deploying a radioactive rat to take him out in the short term, IF she is the most tactically sound choice, of which I'm not convinced.

This. McConnell losing to just about anybody is a win. Remember Cantor lost his primary to some tea party wackadoo and the power vacuum through the GOP house leadership into disarray. McConnell getting ousted would do the same but better.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That emoluments decision basically said that DC and Maryland didn’t have standing, but they don’t answer the question of whether Trump is breaking the law

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SocketWrench posted:

Remember when a certain woman in the House said poo poo that didn't even come close to anti-semitism and the right went absolutely bat poo poo bonkers over it as anti-semitism?

matt gaetz tweeted out an insane conspiracy theory that drove someone to murder 11 jews and there wasn't even a blip. it's all very cool.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Groovelord Neato posted:

matt gaetz tweeted out an insane conspiracy theory that drove someone to murder 11 jews and there wasn't even a blip. it's all very cool.

Well, yeah. But this is a case of "Upstanding cartoonist/Trump masturbator" draws anti semitic poo poo and gets hammered for it and how it's so unjust and wrong to do so while they in the same breath will hammer on someone else for being anti semitic when she wasn't

The double standards the Republicans have based on whether someone has a D or an R next to their name just kills me a bit more every time it shows

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

FlamingLiberal posted:

That emoluments decision basically said that DC and Maryland didn’t have standing, but they don’t answer the question of whether Trump is breaking the law

Yeah, this. It's not great, but the question is still open.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

deoju posted:

This. McConnell losing to just about anybody is a win. Remember Cantor lost his primary to some tea party wackadoo and the power vacuum through the GOP house leadership into disarray. McConnell getting ousted would do the same but better.

Nobody is supplanting McConnell. Everyone I've ever talked to says they hate him with a passion (even most Conservatives), but consider him to be the one aspect that elevates Kentucky above every other state, so the trade-off is worth it in their eyes.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

SocketWrench posted:

As a grad student studying contemporary literature, gently caress this. 21st century lit loving owns, and even though I actually like Fitzgerald and Hemingway, I'll take the 21st century over the interwar white guys anyday of the goddamned week.

Plus, it's telling your titans of the 20th century are both white dudes.

We got Colson Whitehead, Helen Oyeyemi, and Marlon James all writing right now. Literature will be fine.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The emoluments ruling was made by a panel, at the very least it's absolutely getting appealed to the full court.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I'm all for competing in as many races as possible, but the party needs to be smart about where to allocate their resources. This looks like a really dumb long-shot based on a fundamental misunderstanding of potential white working class conservative swing voters. Unfortunately, the DSCC and big donors are suckers for these kinds of hard-right Democrats and won't actually examine how her campaign operates.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

alpha_destroy posted:

As a grad student studying contemporary literature, gently caress this. 21st century lit loving owns, and even though I actually like Fitzgerald and Hemingway, I'll take the 21st century over the interwar white guys anyday of the goddamned week.

We got Colson Whitehead, Helen Oyeyemi, and Marlon James all writing right now. Literature will be fine.

Swing and a miss on that one

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

alpha_destroy posted:

You're reading way too into that post.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Finally video games will be safe from diversity and sjws. Just add a toggle to make everyone a white male!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ga...iversity-toggle

Love the backpedaling when people rightly started saying wtf?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Quorum posted:

To clarify for those not following along: after the mass shooting in Virginia Beach, Northam called the General Assembly back into session to address gun violence. He proposed a raft of bills, most of them aimed squarely at the "milquetoast but nonzero improvement in the status quo" window, like universal background checks and allowing local governments to ban guns in their government buildings, something the state already does. A couple of the most milquetoast of these bills actually managed to pick up one or two Republican supporters, mostly from the Virginia Beach area, enough to pass them in both narrowly-divided chambers of the Assembly. The usual gambit here for the Precambrian liches in charge of the legislature, like in Congress, is to bury such bills in a hostile committee so they never see the floor to begin with. That's sort of what everyone had expected to happen-- bunch of committee meetings, everyone gets to pound their desk, some impassioned floor speeches, the GA passes something useless that nobody really likes or cares about and then we all go home with some fresh sound bites in our pockets, and if all the stars align maybe we get literally the most lukewarm gun legislation passed that does nothing but makes everyone feel better.

That's not what happened.

The Republicans in charge of the legislature (by one vote apiece, mind you, and by a loving hat locally-produced ceramic bowl pull in the case of the House Speaker) adjourned the session after less than two hours. This may be the first time I've ever seen them turn down a chance to rabble-rouse about the liberals taking your guns. I'm still processing what happened, but my instinct is that they fear that they've already squeezed all of the fear they can out of the NRA crowd, and beating the drum only motivates their opponents more. So they just... shut the whole thing down rather than take the risk.

Definitely give the article I linked a read if you're interested in what went down, the Virginia Mercury is a non-profit news agency that does really good politics reporting and doesn't pull its punches. Worth noting is that one of the Democrats really involved in the push for new regulations was Delegate Chris Hurst of Roanoke, who was present when his girlfriend, reporter Alison Ward, was shot to death while on air.

This is such an amazing thing. The sight of them going NOPE and booking it for the hills is gonna sink them in Virginia Beach, and with the redrawn maps, 2019 could complete the pendulum swing from 2017 entirely. For people who wrote Northam’s move as an empty political stunt, he sure got one hell of a visual out of it.

“You’re all coming to work to do something, anything.” “Get hosed, I’m outta here”

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

quote:

President Trump’s overhauled July Fourth celebration cost the D.C. government $1.7 million, an amount that — combined with police expenses for demonstrations through the weekend — has bankrupted a special fund used to protect the nation’s capital from terrorist threats and provide security at events such as rallies and state funerals.

In a letter to the president Tuesday, D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) warned that the fund has now been depleted and is estimated to be running a $6 million deficit by Sept. 30. The mayor also noted that the account was never reimbursed for $7.3 million in expenses from Trump’s 2017 inauguration.
Trump's persistent refusal to pay people he's indebted to is remarkable.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AliRogin/status/1148984949044908034

"One murder was okay, but if you do another one, you're in serious trouble, mister!" *wags finger*

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

not entirely sure why these cities don't refuse to provide security details and poo poo.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phlag posted:

Trump's persistent refusal to pay people he's indebted to is remarkable.

Also the fact that people keep falling for it every time.

Groovelord Neato posted:

not entirely sure why these cities don't refuse to provide security details and poo poo.

Probably becqause it's an incredibly bad look for them if something bad happens as a result, plus do you really want Trump to call up his war criminal buddy Erik Prince to supply Academi mercenaries for his fascist rallies?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Groovelord Neato posted:

The alternative is having a riot break out and people getting killed.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Angry_Ed posted:

Probably becqause it's an incredibly bad look for them if something bad happens as a result, plus do you really want Trump to call up his war criminal buddy Erik Prince to supply Academi mercenaries for his fascist rallies?

Also this. You want to see National Guard call ups for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

haveblue posted:

The emoluments ruling was made by a panel, at the very least it's absolutely getting appealed to the full court.

I doubt the 4th circuit hears it en banc, circuits rarely do that, especially on an appeal that doesn't even have a dissent