Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Switch lite is just what I’ve been hoping for, and just in time for pokemon too, glad I held out. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Steve2911 posted:

I don't get why anyone would want this? Unless they have a TV but no space for a dock.

It's 10x less annoying to move your setup if it's just game boy + link cable and power source, so just convenience really. It's a pretty niche use case but popular enough that you see people crowdfunding smaller docks all the time

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

I don't get why anyone would want this? Unless they have a TV but no space for a dock.

You could take your Switch with you and play it on a TV somewhere else without needing to bring anything but the Switch itself and a cable. Except the Switch needs to be connected to power to be able to run like it's docked, so it'd have to be some sort of crazy breakout cable. And at that point it's not doing anything a more minimal dock wouldn't.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

If you have multiple Switches, can you choose which console will be PRIMARY? I wanna get one of this for my work travel, but apparently secondary consoles can only play your games if you are connected to the internet. So the portable Switch will have to be the primary, and the home Switch the secondary. Does Nintendo allow you to choose which one is which, or is the first Switch you owned permanently set as Primary?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Oh SHIIIIT my boys at Nintendo did patch in game sharing last year, all good fam. I'll get a lite as a supplement rather than a replacement

My hype for switch lite is back up

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'm getting the special edition one and probably never opening it solely because I'm a huge Nintendo loser.

That said, any problems or hopes and disappointment I feel from this are solved by the Switch itself. The Switch is great for homebrew, can be connected to a TV or played portably, has better color options (obviously imo), and then obviously has all the things that Nintendo stripped away to compromise for the Lite.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

Seems like a great way to open up the Switch to people whose price point is lower without obsoleting our existing Switches. Anyone whose hams get steamed about it should Care Less. Good job, Nintendo, now the Switch has a 2ds

Agreed, there's a big market for a sub-$200 Pokemon machine, now they have a sub-$200 handheld that will work great as a Pokemon machine, and they're going to sell lots of sub-$200 Pokemon machines. That $200 mark (which'll probably be down to $150 in some sales next year) is a lot more palatable to families buying a Switch as a gift for a kid.

I wonder if these are all being made in Vietnam, wasn't a part of the WSJ's reporting on Switch Lite rumors that they were moving production over there to avoid the impending 25% tariffs?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

KingSlime posted:

The point is wouldn't it have been a very easy feature to shove in? Unless they did scale back the internals a bit to improve battery, which actually makes sense

Heat dissipation is a thing, which is why the original Switch has fans and a big ol' heat pipe for when playing in docked mode.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

You could take your Switch with you and play it on a TV somewhere else without needing to bring anything but the Switch itself and a cable. Except the Switch needs to be connected to power to be able to run like it's docked, so it'd have to be some sort of crazy breakout cable. And at that point it's not doing anything a more minimal dock wouldn't.

yeah it would just be a mess of cables, and it's no surprise nintendo isn't jumping at the opportunity

the dock itself is very unportable though. it's easier to throw a brick of a console like an Xbox into your trunk than it is to pack up your whole Switch package for travel.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Looks pretty much perfect for what a cut down version of a Switch should be, price tag is good and should make them a billion dollars this Christmas.

Only thing that's surprising is the lack of kickstand when they're still selling it as a multiplayer device to use with friends, even the video showed a regular Switch with the kickstand out. I've no use for a portable only Switch personally, but that turqouise would match my kitchen nicely.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Looks pretty much perfect for what a cut down version of a Switch should be, price tag is good and should make them a billion dollars this Christmas.

Only thing that's surprising is the lack of kickstand when they're still selling it as a multiplayer device to use with friends, even the video showed a regular Switch with the kickstand out. I've no use for a portable only Switch personally, but that turqouise would match my kitchen nicely.

i'm personally going with the yellow to match my bathroom

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

As long as the pro is coming people can have their Nintendo Doesn’t Switch with severely reduced functionality, minor battery improvement and 200 price point. Everyone can be happy.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Korelle posted:

I can't believe this cheap handheld version of the Switch is, in fact, a cheap handheld version of the Switch. I'm getting steamed about this Nintendo, this is a slap in the face!!

To what functionality does the very name "Switch" refer? 🤔

"Here's our DS Lite. It has one screen."

At least with the 2DS they changed the name.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 10, 2019

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Mario Maker 2 finally made realize how lovely the default controller is, so I ordered the 8Bitdo SF30 pro and I'm extremely glad I did. Feels really solid and definitely a big improvement.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Imagined posted:

To what functionality does the very name "Switch" refer? 🤔

It plays Switch games. It's a Switch.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

There's also no motion controls, according to The Verge. Which means some games just will not work on this thing. You could, in theory, play Let's Go, but you'd have to wait for the Poke to be in the middle of the screen to catch it.

Metanaut posted:

Mario Maker 2 finally made realize how lovely the default controller is, so I ordered the 8Bitdo SF30 pro and I'm extremely glad I did. Feels really solid and definitely a big improvement.

Worth noting since I just got one myself, but 8BitDo released a wired version. Only thing it lacks is motion control and obvious wireless connectivity, but it has an incredibly small amount of less input lag and it can boot the Switch from sleep.

https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-Gamepad-Nintendo-Windows-Raspberry/dp/B07R481CVY

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 10, 2019

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
No it’s missing the sandwich eating IR motion stuff not the gyro

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

When my controller start drifting I throw my joycons in a lake and buy a new one, good luck Doesn’t Switch.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

There's also no motion controls, according to The Verge. Which means some games just will not work on this thing. You could, in theory, play Let's Go, but you'd have to wait for the Poke to be in the middle of the screen to catch it.

Would this also mean there's no way to complete the temples in BOTW that require you to tilt your Switch around?

Edit: just saw the post above about it still having gyro, nevermind.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

Eh, huge odds they patch let's go to let you use the touchscreen.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wonder if text is gonna be annoyingly or impossibly small in some games? Looking at you darkest dungeon!! Jk I got bored of that game after my second boss battle but imagine I mentioned a cool game instead

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If my kid was old enough to want a switch to play with me I’d be stoked. If they could give me a cheaper regular switch without the extra garbage bobbles nobody ever uses in their games I’d probably upgrade too.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

LODGE NORTH posted:

This can be easily fixed by syncing a pair of joycons to it, although how you're going to recharge them is another topic.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Let's Go already works just fine without motion controls in portable mode. You just push a button to throw the Pokeball. I like it better than the normal way actually.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

LODGE NORTH posted:

you can move the camera around in handheld mode

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

LODGE NORTH posted:

Worth noting since I just got one myself, but 8BitDo released a wired version. Only thing it lacks is motion control and obvious wireless connectivity, but it has an incredibly small amount of less input lag and it can boot the Switch from sleep.

https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-Gamepad-Nintendo-Windows-Raspberry/dp/B07R481CVY

It still had gyroscopes. In Let's go handheld mode you don't use motion controls.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

This can be easily fixed by syncing a pair of joycons to it, although how you're going to recharge them is another topic.

At that point you’re better off just getting a regular switch. The price difference in some countries is 50-100, with the US at the high end, and we’re talking about getting a gimped version that some people will also buy an extra pair of joycons for? If this is just a second switch unit in the house or you’ve got the disposable cash to do this then you’re not really the customer base for this product.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 10, 2019

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Didn't some dungeons in BotW require motion control? How will they account for that?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
If kid 1 was a year or two older I'd get her one of these for Christmas

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Frankston posted:

Didn't some dungeons in BotW require motion control? How will they account for that?

Some required gyroscopes, which the Switch Lite has. (your regular switch also has them and usually uses them instead of the joycon when in handheld mode, it's how head tracking works on labo)

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I was going to buy one as a second Switch for us but not if you can't dock it. gently caress that. Was really looking forward to it too. I don't give a gently caress what the fanboys say, the entire point of a Switch is to be both in ONE device. The tradeoff was supposed to be a smaller screen, no detachable joycons and not coming with a dock, not NOT being compatible with one.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
And I bet you in six months someone will hack it so docks recognize it as a normal Switch and SURPRISE it will work just fine in TV mode. Nintendo will have just disabled it in software for Nintendo reasons.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Has anything other than sandwich eating and Labo used the infrared camera?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Last weekend my girlfriend said she'd honestly prefer a smaller switch when I showed her the hypothetical mock-ups that were going around. Guess I'm on the hook come September.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Surely Nintendo has access to usage statistics and knows how many people even use the dock. Myself, I tried it once when I got my Switch just to see how it worked. I don’t even know where it is anymore.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

io_burn posted:

Surely Nintendo has access to usage statistics and knows how many people even use the dock. Myself, I tried it once when I got my Switch just to see how it worked. I don’t even know where it is anymore.

Bowser basically said this

According to Nintendo’s Bowser, the decision to focus on a portable-only option was based on watching how people used the Switch. “It’s more about how we’ve observed them playing,” he says of the console’s audience. “We have the ability to track how people play games and play our titles, so I would say that it’s really an option that offers more choices to people.”

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Imagined posted:

And I bet you in six months someone will hack it so docks recognize it as a normal Switch and SURPRISE it will work just fine in TV mode. Nintendo will have just disabled it in software for Nintendo reasons.
Do you understand how USB ports work? They don't just output video signals natively.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

KingSlime posted:

Where's my punk rear end posters who were like "Nintendo would never betray me like this"

Forbes is smarter than you. And probably GameXplain too.

KingSlime posted:

This and the smaller screen are my only concerns. Otherwise I'm trying to debate if I should sell my og unit for this, get a lite as a supplement, or wait for the switch pro that my friends at Forbes told me about

it was the WSJ sis

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

American McGay posted:

Do you understand how USB ports work? They don't just output video signals natively.

Bet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Imagined posted:

I was going to buy one as a second Switch for us but not if you can't dock it. gently caress that. Was really looking forward to it too. I don't give a gently caress what the fanboys say, the entire point of a Switch is to be both in ONE device. The tradeoff was supposed to be a smaller screen, no detachable joycons and not coming with a dock, not NOT being compatible with one.

The Switch is still both in one! They're releasing an exclusively handheld version and you're upset that it's not a regular Switch. This is not a fanboy thing. This is you getting upset that a different product isn't doing what the original product already does.