Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Seraphon have two really good battalions, which is sadly two more than most armies get - and they haven't had a book update in years. Their model range is also diverse enough to be tailored to any gametype or points level and their summoning (incredibly easy to do with a Slann and an Astrolith bearer) is fantastic at allowing them to adapt to any situation. I'm not sure who is ragging on Seraphon, but it's not really Seraphon players - lustria-online is still filled with people doing great things, and generally everyone there is happy with the points changes and faction buffs in GHB 2019. There are under-performing units, sure, but with such a wide roster, that's not really much of a problem and they aren't pigeonholed like Kharadron or Ironjawz, who are in the same "old book" situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Thunderquake and Sunclaw Starhosts are the two really good ones, right? Functionally unkillable behemoths and big bricks of turbo-stabby bois.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Desiden posted:

I'm guessing the +20 points to the terrorgeist ghoul king is not going to stop the grousing in my club about that unit. The +40 to the archregent might soothe some butthurt, though 480 for 2 is still pretty good.

Tbf the archregent being 200 points meant that if you took the 20 ghoul summon, you'd have him for free

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Strobe posted:

Thunderquake and Sunclaw Starhosts are the two really good ones, right? Functionally unkillable behemoths and big bricks of turbo-stabby bois.

Sunclaw relies on Saurus which as previously noted, are not a great points investment right now - but still very fun! Thunderquake and Shadowstrike Starhost are the two strongest. Thunderquake is ridiculous with the ability to change up your dinos to adapt in each combat phase.

quote:

The Creator’s Will: The Engine of the Gods or Troglodon, and any units from the
Thunderquake Starhost within 8", are guided by the will of their creator. At the start
of each combat phase you can declare that all of those units will either be swift, in
which case you can re-roll charge rolls and failed hit rolls for them, or savage, in
which case you can re-roll failed wound rolls and save rolls for them.

Celestial Surge: The great beasts of the seraphon are almost invincible when they
march forth as a pack, even more so when in the presence of the Starmaster that
created them. In your hero phase, each model from a Thunderquake Starhost heals a
wound. Models from a Thunderquake Starhost that are within 10" of a SLANN heal
D3 wounds instead.

In each combat phase, your dinos and anyone within 8" - not wholly within - can either re-roll charges and hits, or can re-roll wounds and saves. Oh, and they also heal in your hero phase and if there's a Slann nearby they heal D3.

Just loving ridiculous and an Adepticon winning battalion.

Shadowstrike is also rad af

quote:

Stealthy Advance: After set-up is complete, you can roll two dice for each unit in a
Shadowstrike Starhost and move all of its models up to that many inches.

The Trap is Sprung: In your hero phase, pick a unit that is visible to the starhost’s
Skink Priest or Starpriest. Until your next hero phase, you can re-roll hit and wound
rolls of 1 for units from the Shadowstrike Starhost that attack the unit you picked.

Strike from the Skies: Instead of setting up the flying unit from this battalion on the
battlefield, you can place it to one side and say that it is hidden amid the clouds. In
any of your movement phases, the unit can plummet from the skies to assail the foe.
When it does so, you can set it up anywhere more than 3" from the enemy. In the
following combat phase, add 1 to the result of any wound rolls made for models from
that unit.

Being able to shunt 2 units of skinks further up the field at the start gives you a huge objective gain, but the real benefit is the fact that you can have your Unit of 3 - 12 ripperdactyls appear out of nowhere and dive bomb an enemy unit. Your ripperdactlys get to re-roll all hits and wounds, get +1 to wound, can get in 3" charge range, and put a blottoad down to get 3 beak attacks instead of 1.

So you get a first turn swarm of potentially 36 3+/2+ claws, 36 4+/2+ beaks, 13 4+/3+ spears, re-rolling everything. Basically, you can alpha strike anything off the table. This is still super effective even if you're only taking 6 ripperdactyls.

It completely destroys many armies that rely on single spike monsters like keepers of secrets, lords of change or what have you. It's a beast.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The reason I bring up Sunclaw is that a 40-brick of warriors is now 330 points, and for that you can give them all spears for range and have 80 attacks at 3+/3+/-1 rend that's 2 damage against demons, plus another 40 or so 5+/4+ attacks. Individually they don't do much, but if you get them all engaged (probably to multiple units) out of Lords of Space and Time you're looking at 40+ wounds and that goes a long way to making points back.

EDIT: my favorite "gently caress your centerpiece model" is still the Scar-Vet on Carnosaur, with its fully self-sufficient infinite attack generator. :v:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Strobe posted:

The reason I bring up Sunclaw is that a 40-brick of warriors is now 330 points, and for that you can give them all spears for range and have 80 attacks at 3+/3+/-1 rend that's 2 damage against demons, plus another 40 or so 5+/4+ attacks. Individually they don't do much, but if you get them all engaged (probably to multiple units) out of Lords of Space and Time you're looking at 40+ wounds and that goes a long way to making points back.

EDIT: my favorite "gently caress your centerpiece model" is still the Scar-Vet on Carnosaur, with its fully self-sufficient infinite attack generator. :v:

Sunclaw requires 3 units of warriors though, which is a lot of resources to funnel into a 1 wound, 5+ saving unit, plus 130 points for the battalion. While you might be able to teleport them around, those saves aren't really reliable and I'd be afraid they'd be teleported, fail their charge and just be picked off by better units. I'd be really interested to try it though, if I had any saurus warriors at all :D I'm heavily invested in skinks and big boys myself. But it does show that there are many viable strategies for Seraphon, and I'd love to see this in action - a seething horde of saurus would be awesome on any table.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Oh for sure. The thing about that Battalion is you take one brick of 40 and then two of 10 to fill it out, then use Great Rememberer to also move a hero so you can get some insurance with the reroll charges within 6" of a hero command ability.

Bonus odds if your Constellation is the Steed for the +1" to charge rolls. Works out to a little bit over 65% to get the big charge off.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Plavski posted:

It's a good day to be a Gloomspite Gitz player!

Is that a blanket reduction in giant spider costs I see?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Is that a blanket reduction in giant spider costs I see?

Rockguts got reduced to 140, which is crazy good! I saw some people on TGA saying they'd saved 160 points on their list with this update.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Plavski posted:

Rockguts got reduced to 140, which is crazy good! I saw some people on TGA saying they'd saved 160 points on their list with this update.

Yeah, wow. Both kinds of Troggoths and Fellwaters got a nice reduction, too. And even the Loonboss on Mangler went down.

I've been toying with buying a big spider to ally with my Ironjawz, but at this rate they're approaching second army levels of interest.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
As someone who wants to get into Seraphon (once all my Stormcast are bought and painted) these changes and strat talks sound amazing.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Seraphon are in one of the rare situations to have an entire, well populated and fanatic forum dedicated to them: http://www.lustria-online.com/

There's awesome poo poo on there like comps, tactic talk, and one of the best things in the hobby: http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/getting-the-most-from-your-start-collecting-seraphon-box.20560/

AKA, how to get €211 worth of Seraphon from a single Start Collecting

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
That Troglodon is so clever and fantastic.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Y'all have got me real excited. I always come back to goons for a good sanity check after reading the bitter internet.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What kind of eel is better to start with?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Bit hard to say. Both are good. Ishlaen Guard are stronger defense wise, while Morrsarr Guard are Wallbreakers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah they're both good. What else are you using? I'm all eels, sharks and the king.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The 30 points difference is noticeable, so work from the list backwards I'd say.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Both are good, although if you're going full eels, lean it a little towards Morsarr for killing stuff.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Deleter posted:

Both are good, although if you're going full eels, lean it a little towards Morsarr for killing stuff.

I have two flanking 3 man Ishlaen and then a down the middle supporting the king 6 man Morsarr unit.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

JBP posted:

I have two flanking 3 man Ishlaen and then a down the middle supporting the king 6 man Morsarr unit.

That sounds perfect. You'll want to boost the numbers/add more as you climb up the points costs, obviously. The pre-GHB 2019 army comp tended to be 1 9 man and 1 6 man Morsarr unit and then a few Ishlaen.

I wish the Namarti stuff was good. :(

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Deleter posted:

That sounds perfect. You'll want to boost the numbers/add more as you climb up the points costs, obviously. The pre-GHB 2019 army comp tended to be 1 9 man and 1 6 man Morsarr unit and then a few Ishlaen.

Right now with a shark they're 1000 points almost exactly which is good since the club I've started going to has a fair few new armies around that value. I think if I expand from here it's going to be two more sharks and turtle power, then I'll probably bulk up on eels. It's such a fun cav army.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Deleter posted:

Namarti does not seem bad or anything. They also have several heroes that can support them.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Namarti does not seem bad or anything. They also have several heroes that can support them.

I've been considering bucking the eel trend and picking up a couple more boxes and going full in on soulrender strats. But my memories of assembling thralls are raw :( I also need to get a good contrast recipe down for churning through them, as they have that Tzaangor level of fiddly detail.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

If you have any of the coral basing bits spare....

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/10/warcry-a-new-warband-risesgw-homepage-post-1/
New Warcraft warband announced and they're even more rad looking than the last ones.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/10/warcry-a-new-warband-risesgw-homepage-post-1/
New Warcraft warband announced and they're even more rad looking than the last ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG_xV4X8Z9o

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
How bad are namarti? The rez-focused realm of death enclave sounds cool :(

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How bad are namarti? The rez-focused realm of death enclave sounds cool :(

My understanding is that they're fine, eels are just better though. I picked eels because I wanted cav and I liked the fish elf aesthetics/fluff. If you want to make a sweet spooky namarti army give it a go!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

This guy. I like this guy.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Those are their own faces and hands they have around their waists. That's one of the most grimdark things I've seen in AoS.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Hihohe posted:

These dudes own and this dude owns the hardest.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

Ready made Blanchitsu

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

These dudes own and this dude owns the hardest.

Even better, I think it's a she based on the voiceover in the video.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Hihohe posted:

Ohskar Pusstorius

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
More progress on my seraphon, some knights this time. Pretty fun, although feathering out the two main flesh colours on the mounts took some time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh, my, those are some handsome lizard people.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I like Saurus Knights and wish they were both a much newer and better kit, and also worth using.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I don't get the hate for the models, but I def wish they didn't suck on the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Saurus cold one riders are a bunch of new fangled bullshit, only skinks should ride cold ones :colbert: