Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Bit of a different thing, but if we're talking about the gaping void left behind by the SWAT series... was Door Kickers any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

ETPC posted:

i extremely do not want the SWAT series to come back in 2019 tbqh

"Twitch users called in a hostage situation at this residence".

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ETPC posted:

I mean at least those games let you arrest criminals, but yeah wouldn't be a good time now.

Pomp posted:

Both freedom force games own, although may not have aged well

I remember having a lot of trouble getting it running properly on my Windows 7 system but I can't remember if it was a Steam version I was using or a GoG version as I have both.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ETPC posted:

swat 2020 opens with you kicking your way into a black family's residence over a noise complaint and planting evidence and erasing your body cam to cover up your subsequent murder of the husband and their 6mo old baby

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SWAT 4 is still good enough even today. But I see there's something going on SA when it comes to police opinions. I'm glad the police has a good image in here compared to the US.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Kins posted:

Bit of a different thing, but if we're talking about the gaping void left behind by the SWAT series... was Door Kickers any good?

Ehhhhhhhh. Not bad if you like that sort of thing.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
i bought it in the sale and i look forward to playing it at some point in 2093

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

The Kins posted:

I mean, what exactly are you looking for? The first game's more like the OG Rainbow Six planning phase turned into a full game, in a real-time-with-pause structure. I really enjoy it even if I'm not particularly good at it. Plus it's always cool when one of your officers goes full :bustem: and kills everyone:
https://i.imgur.com/T092hJZ.gifv

As for the side-scrolling arcadey one, never played it so I can't say.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Tulip posted:

but ultimately it's just lingered as the proprietary tool to a studio that has a 50% rate of making absolute garbage like RF2.

Man RF2 was such a garbage game but the geomod was so fun to use.

Fully destructable everything once you got used to it made some of the missions hilariously fun.

One of my favorite shooter moments was when you had to destroy the main bridge in the map for some mission, and I just shot out the main supports using whatever the disintegration laser was and watched it collapse in on itself.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There are a couple of places in red faction, the bridge being raised and the tunnel to a worm boss being the notable examples, where you can go an intended way or circumvent it with Geomod. The rest of the time its just neat.

Multiplayer was great in my opinion since stages had secret weapon locations only accessible by geomodding to get there but obviously not shooting other people made you a sitting duck and a few custom maps had no connections between the flag based so each play through you blasted fresh routes and had to learn their nuances.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Red Faction 2 has an extremely good visual gag when your player character finally confronts the evil Future Hitler character. He bashes him in the face, says, "For the honor of the Commonwealth, get your rear end in the missile silo." Then it abruptly cuts to him forcing the chancellor at gunpoint into the silo, except now he's wearing his ridiculous hat.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

ETPC posted:

There's a game called Ready or Not scheduled for late 2020 that's supposed to be a SWAT spiritual successor. They even picked up some SWAT 4 modders. The game looks reasonably promising, and is entering a closed alpha next month. The story just looks a little overly-edge:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/840820/Ready_Or_Not/

The Kins posted:

Door Kickers is real good. There's another game called Breach & Clear that feels like a mobile game in a few ways (mainly UI and graphics) but is still good and controls pretty much almost exactly like Door Kickers.

It just bums me out that the only kind of serious tactical action games like R6/SWAT that we get are either multiplayer-focused, are top-down indie games, or are products way off in the maybe-future.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

The Kins posted:

I bought it on my phone and barely played it. I was expecting something tactical and controlled like Frozen Synapse but Door Kickers didn't have anywhere near that kind of depth. Maybe the game is just bad at explaining itself but it seemed like it was mostly "make your guys enter the room at the same time and cover all the angles" while winning gunfights seemed up to chance and enemy placement beyond that. It also controlled really poorly with a small touchscreen which didn't help.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bishopvi posted:

1- HL2 was a surprise release. They showed up, said "hey, we'll have it out this year" people lost their minds, the code for stolen, they pushed it back, and still released it quickly compared to other developer timelines at the time. We were losing it in excitement, we just didn't have years to lose it in anticipation.

WHAT

I'm sorry but no, no no no no no no no. Nooooooo nonononono.

Bishopvi posted:

2- Counterstrike, DoD, TF2, and Garry's Mod are all very likely to have more play time in then than HL2 because it is multi focused.

That was the whole point, like, yeah.

This post seems weirdly defensive of HL2.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Yea I remember everyone was gobbling up Radeon 9800s for the Half-Life 2 voucher. The hype for Half-Life 2 was insane, and it got (deservedly so) amazing praise at release.

Its just one of those games that, while loving amazing and revolutionary at release, doesn’t feel as timeless when replayed in YOOL 2019 for all the reasons previously discussed.

I remember watching E3 videos of the engine showing off how HL2 could do pachinko and apply transparent water effects to any arbitrary model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ddJ1OKV63Q

This was like 2 years before the game came out, and it was announced before this point. There was DEFINITELY lots of hype for HL2 and a big excitement building up to release. That's why the hack was such a huge deal.

HL2 was possibly the MOST anticipated game of all time at that point. I'm sorry but if you think nobody knew about HL2 until it was dropped, you were just out of the loop at the time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Brovstin posted:

People still think of Half Life 2's levels as "realistic" huh? That's hilarious.

:goonsay: x 1000

This post is so smug it hurts to read.

Just say "hey, I don't think HL2 is actually realistic at all, if you look at the level layouts" you don't have to be a huge dick about it. We're talking about videogames here dude, you're not cool. Stop acting like you're cool.

As for whether HL2's levels are realistic, I mean... what does that even mean? Its a real weird thing to flip out about outside of context.

More realistic in appearance than other games at the time? Most certainly.

But Hammer sucks for making levels that aren't square boxes so I'm amazed they managed to do any outdoor sections at all.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Half Life 2 was absurdly absurdly hyped for years. Long enough and changing enough between showings I thought it might be another Duke Nukem Forever

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I remember watching E3 videos of the engine showing off how HL2 could do pachinko and apply transparent water effects to any arbitrary model.

This was like 2 years before the game came out, and it was announced before this point. There was DEFINITELY lots of hype for HL2 and a big excitement building up to release. That's why the hack was such a huge deal.

HL2 was possibly the MOST anticipated game of all time at that point. I'm sorry but if you think nobody knew about HL2 until it was dropped, you were just out of the loop at the time.

Oh man I remember re-watching that tech demo multiple times. People were stunned by the graphics, animations, physics nothing in gaming had ever even approached that level of detail before.

On a bigger note, E3 2003 had to be one of the biggest E3s in FPS gaming history right?

Half Life 2, Doom 3, Halo 2 were all prominent

Far Cry was announced I believe as well as Call of Duty

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Like once every two years, Rolling Stone will have a paid review for Call of Duty or something and that's the only time they ever acknowledge games, and I still remember them doing like a proper article on the HL2 hack.

This is one of those things where I just saw G-Man's face pop up and I realized how many times I watched this stupid video in anticipation for HL2. I still even remember the audience reaction/laughter breaks.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 10, 2019

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Zaphod42 posted:

Fond memories of downloading the huge "ultra quality" version of this video (probably a whopping 640x480 or something) only to realize that my computer literally didn't have the power to render a video of this amazing video game from the future at an acceptable framerate, let alone the game itself.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the first (??) hl2 trailer that ended with the water tentacle monster where you could hear the crowd watching loving exploding blew my mind at the time

and then the counter strike source beta came out and the waiting game got real bad

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Guillermus posted:

SWAT 4 is still good enough even today. But I see there's something going on SA when it comes to police opinions. I'm glad the police has a good image in here compared to the US.

Where the gently caress are you? ACAB, everywhere.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

:goonsay: x 1000

This post is so smug it hurts to read.

Just say "hey, I don't think HL2 is actually realistic at all, if you look at the level layouts" you don't have to be a huge dick about it. We're talking about videogames here dude, you're not cool. Stop acting like you're cool.

As for whether HL2's levels are realistic, I mean... what does that even mean? Its a real weird thing to flip out about outside of context.

More realistic in appearance than other games at the time? Most certainly.

But Hammer sucks for making levels that aren't square boxes so I'm amazed they managed to do any outdoor sections at all.
Okay? I guess I'll rephrase that as "There's nothing super "realistic" about Half Life 2's level design, pretty much all of it's locations are larger than life takes on industrial infrastructure and outdoor expanses that don't really make any sense if you look around and stop to think about them, because they were built around whatever gameplay challenge Valve wanted the player to experience first and foremost. Saying the game wasn't enjoyable is one thing, saying that the game wasn't enjoyable because of "realistic" level design is just kinda ???"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Solaris 2.0 posted:

On a bigger note, E3 2003 had to be one of the biggest E3s in FPS gaming history right?

Half Life 2, Doom 3, Halo 2 were all prominent
AND all scripted tech-demos without much resemblance to the final game! :haw:

Actually I think the Doom 3 reveal demo might have been 2002. I dunno. But I did look up the 2003 trailer and there was a looooot of scripted cutscene stuff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Brovstin posted:

Okay? I guess I'll rephrase that as "There's nothing super "realistic" about Half Life 2's level design, pretty much all of it's locations are larger than life takes on industrial infrastructure and outdoor expanses that don't really make any sense if you look around and stop to think about them, because they were built around whatever gameplay challenge Valve wanted the player to experience first and foremost. Saying the game wasn't enjoyable is one thing, saying that the game wasn't enjoyable because of "realistic" level design is just kinda ???"

Yeah that's way better and actually contributes to the thread :)

Yeah, the levels do use bits of European Architecture and different industrial stuff, but like you say, they're game spaces first and levels second. That's actually something I'd say Valve is good at; disguising to the player just how abstract and rail-roaded the levels in their single player games are. There's generally only one place you can go, but you sometimes get the impression that you could have gone elsewhere, like its almost an open world game. But then you replay it and you're like oh wait no, this is just a very heavily disguised tunnel.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Continuing with WADs...

Preacher

Preacher is a fairly unique project, and you can notice since the moment you start it, and this sounds as menu music.

In fact, this WAD episode has a interesting musical theme going on, where music from a folk/gothic/doom rock band were taken (with permission) and then levels where designed later to made them fit the theme, about sin, a psychotic priest, and perdition.
And in fact the atmosphere is the strong point here, with gothic strongholds, stone and pale green architecture everywhere, desolated outposts, bleached wood, and all wrapped in a moody, depressed, phantasmagorical ambiance with a dark Christianity flair. It's all incredibly cohesive, getting a striking result with art assets that looked at them individually are so low resolution.
It's a 9-level episode, but they are thankfully average in length so it doesn't overstay its welcome (except the last one, but that's forgivable), and the difficulty is also not specially high, except again in the last level where things get epic.
Gameplay wise, it has a gimmick of always starting with a teleporter which will put you in semi random places in the map, usually in the middle of everything, so the action can get pretty chaotic and hectic.
Oh, speaking of gimmicks... there is a good Blood-related gimmick. I will leave it at that.

Maskim Xul

Another wad, this one a bit shorter than the previous one, where the highlight is the atmosphere. Imagine being in a Lovecraftian setting and being sucked into a strange realm, an in-between world. A seemingly endless Library, that works with rules not known by man, and of a indefinite extension, just brown bookshelves everywhere, in halls and in nooks an crannies, sometimes not bounded by small details like gravity. That's what it feels like. Being lost, hopeless, in an unknown place. Part of it is the haunting music, and moments without action just exploring, and the meager ammo count also helps the feeling.
Speaking of exploration, in this wad the challenge isn't only killing enemies. The place is confusing to navigate and there are hidden switches to find, 6 keys to collect, and even a proper environmental puzzle. On the other hand that also can be the drawback of this wad, because it can be a bit to hard to explore, with strange moving parts and little indication of where to go. But hey at least it feels as part of the experience, for what's worth it.
It also features its own custom weapons (some very original, btw) and its enemies, some taken from Hexen, others their own custom Doom versions.
After the Library you have the second level which is a more library+dungeon+'fleshy inferno' type of thing, and it's here around the halfway point where I abandoned it because drat, it got MEAN. Explosive booby traps triggered by proximity spawning around. Enemies that melt you spawning behind secret doors opening when you pass by; groups of instahit, -faster and more damaging than chaingunner- enemies, duo archviles in places without barely cover. Mostly it's doable... by quickloading once you suffer the trap, but at that point I lost interest, it was an exercise in abusing the f9 key.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

If you're just playing custom maps then the vast majority should work fine with PB or other gameplay/monster/weapon mods. You start to run into problems when you try to play multiple gameplay mods together, like High Noon Drifter and PB probably wouldn't work since they both mess around with weapons.

Speaking of weapon mods, can I get a short list of the better arsenal replacements ranked by overpoweredness? Maybe something starting around HND and ending with Russian Overkill.

The ones I tried would be : classic Doom > Final Doomer > HND > Lt. Typhoon > Guncaster > Russian Overkill

I still have to try Trailblazer and Eriguns. Trailblazer seems to be at least at Guncaster levels.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 10, 2019

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I've started playing the newer re-release of Blood since I have never played it before and got won over by the weaponry and... eh? It feels really punishing to play. Especially with zombies that you kinda gotta use your pitchfork on or you just waste all but flare ammo, and a bunch of hitscan cultists you have to corner-shotgun instead of having fun tossing dynamite everywhere.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Cultists are annoying, but after the first few levels you'll start getting enough ammo that you can take down zombies with whatever you want. I wouldn't say the game quite has an inverse difficulty curve, but weapon frugality definitely stops being a thing as the game goes on.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also if playing Fresh Supply the custom difficulty setting lets you unfuck how brutal the hitscanners are.

I told yall, I told yall build engine hitscanners were hot trash

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OxySnake posted:

Man RF2 was such a garbage game but the geomod was so fun to use.

Fully destructable everything once you got used to it made some of the missions hilariously fun.

One of my favorite shooter moments was when you had to destroy the main bridge in the map for some mission, and I just shot out the main supports using whatever the disintegration laser was and watched it collapse in on itself.

That was Red Faction Guerilla, Red Faction 2 is the one that takes place on Earth and has Jason Statham(!) voicing your gunship pilot. It also has exploding screaming robot spider bombs.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Reminder there was a Red Faction port to the goddamn NGAGE. Its really, really, really bad.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Thanks yall I'll keep at it. This is the first time I havent played a classic shooter on hard or its equivilent to Ultra-Violence.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Plan Z posted:

There's a game called Ready or Not scheduled for late 2020 that's supposed to be a SWAT spiritual successor. They even picked up some SWAT 4 modders. The game looks reasonably promising, and is entering a closed alpha next month. The story just looks a little overly-edge:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/840820/Ready_Or_Not/

everything about how this looks is exactly why a new SWAT would extremely not be a good look in 2019

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
Cops were no better in 2005, when SWAT 4 came out. The only difference is the extent to which police activity and pro-police propaganda has been challenged publicly. SWAT 4 was also copaganda.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
oh extremely. even the old police quest games were (somewhat more tasteful) cop propaganda, but they didn't get extremely questionable until they got darryl f. gates involved

even the team was like "what in the gently caress are we doing here???????"

a good read: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a3n8ea/how-sierra-and-a-disgraced-cop-made-the-most-reactionary-game-of-the-90s

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Make a new SWAT 4 style game, but set it in the Damage Incorporated universe. Bust up white supremacists, stop nationalist terror attacks and root out the fascist groups inciting the right wing violence, screaming Black Sabbath lyrics all the while :patriot:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Cops were no better in 2005, when SWAT 4 came out. The only difference is the extent to which police activity and pro-police propaganda has been challenged publicly. SWAT 4 was also copaganda.

Yes but I feel like a SWAT game today wouldn't have you fighting white militia members and death cultists like SWAT 3 and 4 did in some missions, so at least it was "better" in that not every criminal was a muslim or a black teenager or other minority

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Eh, some things have changed. SWAT used to be more rarely used, mostly in hostage situations. Now cops do no-knock military raids over any old warrant if they feel like it.

Although, that's really more the 80s/90s, by 2005 it was already growing. But still in transition maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ETPC posted:

oh extremely. even the old police quest games were (somewhat more tasteful) cop propaganda, but they didn't get extremely questionable until they got darryl f. gates involved

even the team was like "what in the gently caress are we doing here???????"

a good read: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a3n8ea/how-sierra-and-a-disgraced-cop-made-the-most-reactionary-game-of-the-90s

I got absolutely hosed up with one of my friends and we watched a playthrough of Open Season and it was far worse than I could have imagined

I'm glad I didn't spoil the ending for myself because holy moley our brave hero making a flame thrower in that final section lmao