Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i'm pretty dumb so please bear with me

i have a tower in my house that acts as a server for my plex stuff, as well as to use for backups of stuff and other misc junk. it's literally just a windows 10 PC with a bunch of hard drives in it. I don't even have a monitor hooked up to it

though it's mostly used for plex, i do put stuff on it that i would like to share on other devices. i've never had a problem accessing files from other windows computers but i routinely have a lot of issues with accessing files on certain apps on android, but not on others.

for example, kodi will not connect to my server about 70% of the time. yet X-Plore on Android has never once had a problem ever connecting to it.

there's another android video app that has never once been able to connect to it, despite the app showing "SERVER-PC" just fine, and me putting in the correct username and password when the app asks.

am I "sharing" the drives improperly? basically all I do is right click each drive, choose share, and allow access to it to anyone that knows the server's username and password.

I figured that was the most simplistic method but a ton of stuff still gives me problems when trying to connect to it. thanks, sincerely, a moron (me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
sounds like both your oses (windows and android) are Pieces of poo poo op. hope this helped

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ditch windows 10 on the server and install linux instead

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
hope u enjoy learning all about linux’s arcane permission system, and then realize you also need to figure out how selinux works until you just say gently caress it and set everything to 777 and inevitably get owned by ransomware

get a proper NAS op

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

i have a tower in my house that acts as a server for my plex stuff, as well as to use for backups of stuff and other misc junk. it's literally just a windows 10 PC with a bunch of hard drives in it. I don't even have a monitor hooked up to it

though it's mostly used for plex, i do put stuff on it that i would like to share on other devices. i've never had a problem accessing files from other windows computers but i routinely have a lot of issues with accessing files on certain apps on android, but not on others.

for example, kodi will not connect to my server about 70% of the time. yet X-Plore on Android has never once had a problem ever connecting to it.

there's another android video app that has never once been able to connect to it, despite the app showing "SERVER-PC" just fine, and me putting in the correct username and password when the app asks.

am I "sharing" the drives improperly? basically all I do is right click each drive, choose share, and allow access to it to anyone that knows the server's username and password.

I figured that was the most simplistic method but a ton of stuff still gives me problems when trying to connect to it. thanks, sincerely, a moron (me)

idk if windows 10 has it but 7 has a built in web server that is really easy to use. you just point it at the folders all your poo poo is in and it will serve them like a website and then it's reachable from any device on the network and its 100 times easier than figuring out what to do with a shared disk or whatever

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

use acl if you need fine grained group control

it's been a long time since selinux was an issue when you do bog standard things as a file server

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
if you have a Real Amount of RAM just put FreeNAS on there and be pretty much done with data corruption forever.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

oh god there are so many problems here

1. "workgroup" discovery does not work, and has never worked, in any version of windows or unix clients of windows filesharing

if you want a predictable outcome without active directory, your windows host needs to have a static IP, and all references to your windows file share need to use the static IP. (no, a name resolving to a static IP is not enough)

2. you cannot use windows 10 to serve files

microsoft makes a substantial fraction of a billion dollars a year off of selling windows licenses. "windows server 2019" is exactly the same as "windows 10" except that it doesn't poo poo its pants when a file is requested

there are about ten thousand things affected by the "license" applied to a windows host but they all boil down to the same thing: you cannot expect to serve files off of a host running windows 10

3. install linux; problem solved

i use this without irony

a linux fileserver running samba will deal with your plex problem. there are about a hundred vendors of home NAS setups that don't require any linux knowledge. ask in this thread about home NAS poo poo.

4. tl; dr: stop trying to serve files from windows 10

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

1. "workgroup" discovery does not work, and has never worked, in any version of windows or unix clients of windows filesharing

if you want a predictable outcome without active directory, your windows host needs to have a static IP, and all references to your windows file share need to use the static IP. (no, a name resolving to a static IP is not enough)

microsoft makes a substantial fraction of a billion dollars a year off of selling windows licenses. "windows server 2019" is exactly the same as "windows 10" except that it doesn't poo poo its pants when a file is requested

there are about ten thousand things affected by the "license" applied to a windows host but they all boil down to the same thing: you cannot expect to serve files off of a host running windows 10

i use this without irony

a linux fileserver running samba will deal with your plex problem. there are about a hundred vendors of home NAS setups that don't require any linux knowledge. ask in this thread about home NAS poo poo.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i use this without irony

none of this is true. the problem is android is a linux and linuxes cant do file shares. samba is still unusable trash after 20 years of development.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Shaggar posted:

none of this is true. the problem is android is a linux and linuxes cant do file shares. samba is still unusable trash after 20 years of development.

Please do not sign your posts with the fulltext of the note your mother pinned to you shirt when she dropped you off at college, hth?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

q: my windows doesn't want to share files with my linux
a1: windows are bad at sharing files with linuxes, don't use them
a2: linuxes are bad at having files shared with them by windows

:thunk:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

idk if windows 10 has it but 7 has a built in web server that is really easy to use. you just point it at the folders all your poo poo is in and it will serve them like a website and then it's reachable from any device on the network and its 100 times easier than figuring out what to do with a shared disk or whatever

yeah IIS can be installed from the windows features dialog and if the linuxes support http then you can just share stuff that way

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
by "server" I literally mean a tower sitting in my basement where I dump family photos/videos, TV shows, movies etc. It runs Plex and it's not like I am hosting websites or Halo 4 matches. I can't switch to Linux because it's also used for gaming stuff sometimes.

it's not even an android thing because as i mentioned, certain apps can access the drives/files just fine, such as X-Plore (a file browser app on Android).

kodi is the biggest culprit with refusing to connect. however, i narrowed down the issue.

i can connect just fine in Kodi if i put in the IP address of this desktop (the "server"). however, it absolutely refuses to find anything when i tell it to connect to the network. back in the day i remember it would say \\server-pc\ and let me browse to my movie folder or whatever. now, the only way i can ever get it to find my movies is by manually putting in the IP address.

so again i must reiterate, it used to work just fine.

i'd live with this but a few android apps do not let you put in the ip address; it wants to use the PC name, which is named SERVER. whenever i try to connect to \\SERVER in the app, i get a connection failure (even though it "finds" the server just fine).

so tl;dr version: other than with other windows 10 machines in my home, i cannot connect to my server by the server's username and password, but i can connect by IP address and password. i want to be able to do it via server/username name. please help me figure out what's wrong

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
throw it in the trash and buy a goddamn synology

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

by "server" I literally mean a tower sitting in my basement where I dump family photos/videos, TV shows, movies etc. It runs Plex and it's not like I am hosting websites or Halo 4 matches. I can't switch to Linux because it's also used for gaming stuff sometimes.

it's not even an android thing because as i mentioned, certain apps can access the drives/files just fine, such as X-Plore (a file browser app on Android).

kodi is the biggest culprit with refusing to connect. however, i narrowed down the issue.

i can connect just fine in Kodi if i put in the IP address of this desktop (the "server"). however, it absolutely refuses to find anything when i tell it to connect to the network. back in the day i remember it would say \\server-pc\ and let me browse to my movie folder or whatever. now, the only way i can ever get it to find my movies is by manually putting in the IP address.

so again i must reiterate, it used to work just fine.

i'd live with this but a few android apps do not let you put in the ip address; it wants to use the PC name, which is named SERVER. whenever i try to connect to \\SERVER in the app, i get a connection failure (even though it "finds" the server just fine).

so tl;dr version: other than with other windows 10 machines in my home, i cannot connect to my server by the server's username and password, but i can connect by IP address and password. i want to be able to do it via server/username name. please help me figure out what's wrong

you don't have your own dns

Also stop loving around and

graph posted:

buy a goddamn synology

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Try toggling whatever smb versions your server supports. CIFS can suck rear end at smb3.x sometimes

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

you don't have your own dns

Also stop loving around and

netbios should be handling name resoluton

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

netbios should be handling name resoluton

anroid

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

yep, that'll do it

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=906089

figure out how to register that name on your router's dns daemon I guess

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

yep, that'll do it

This would explain why I have no issues accessing it on other Windows devices but can't on android. excellent. i will try to figure this out, and i will probably reply 17 hours later after ripping my hair out asking how to do it. tyvm!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
imagine posting a link to xda developers in 2019

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

yep, that'll do it

ok it's been 17 hours and i couldn't figure it out

i've googled it a shitload but no actual answers from anyone. just forum threads on other sites that lead to nothing

if someone can tell me how to do this on an asus rt-ac86u i'll buy you an account upgrade or something. it's worth it for the blood pressure that it would relieve

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i've googled it a shitload but no actual answers from anyone. just forum threads on other sites that lead to nothing

if someone can tell me how to do this on an asus rt-ac86u i'll buy you an account upgrade or something. it's worth it for the blood pressure that it would relieve

we've told you the right way to do it

if you insist on doing it the hard way, even after we've told you why it doesn't work, lol that's on you pal

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

we've told you the right way to do it

if you insist on doing it the hard way, even after we've told you why it doesn't work, lol that's on you pal

i'm not installing linux, friend. it's also being used as a gaming pc, and i'd like to have sound, as well as play games

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i'm not installing linux, friend. it's also being used as a gaming pc, and i'd like to have sound, as well as play games

graph posted:

buy a goddamn synology

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
gameing

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
im not spending unnecessary money towards my desktop server because android will only connect to networks via ip address and not computer names, but thanks for the advice. i'll just figure out the router trick or stop caring (probably the latter)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

your problem isn't not having linux

well okay that is your problem but

the solvable part of your problem isn't not having linux, it's android not resolving \\SERVER to 192.420.69.1 cause you don't have a local dns

install a windows dns to resolve local names?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flakeloaf posted:

your problem isn't not having linux

well okay that is your problem but

the solvable part of your problem isn't not having linux, it's android not resolving \\SERVER to 192.420.69.1 cause you don't have a local dns

install a windows dns to resolve local names?

doing some googling it seems like that might actually fix my problem. i would have never came across that on my own so thank you greatly

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

If that box is always on, then make it be your home DNS server and configure your router dhcp to have clients point at it, then you can set a manual entry. I don't think the asus firmware supports static dns entries. That or you need to find some kind of 3rd party firmware with more features.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

rc-ac86u oughta support asuswrt-merlin

that's cfw but that'll let you run dnsmasq on the router to act as name resolver if you point your network devices at it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
install a dns on ur gameing pc

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

flakeloaf posted:

you don't have a local dns

that's the first thing i said lmao

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Captain Foo posted:

right ?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
op you should get the best gameing pc, the nintendo switch

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
then you can ditch your current shitheap and get a fuckin synology

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the synology wouldn't work either because the problem is name resolution in linux clients

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
You could do DNS and DHCP with a PiHole or two? PiHole is so easy even I was able to get it working?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

my job is to say the thing other people already said in different words :justpost: