Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

snoo posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAA

It's actually kind of getting me over my long-time fear of them very quickly. Exposure therapy or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

100% if this is Katrina part 2, the GOP spin will be WELL WHY DIDN'T THEY MOVE AFTER THE FIRST ONE

Bonus Ben Shapiro chiming in to say "time to sell your house!"

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Katrina but this game theirs no warning and it's pregamed by heavy rains up river

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

PostNouveau posted:

It's actually kind of getting me over my long-time fear of them very quickly. Exposure therapy or something

Watch out for flood gators flying through the windows at hurricane speeds

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

that's good! in a way! but also aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

twoday posted:

Watch out for flood gators flying through the windows at hurricane speeds

tame the flood Gators and strap them to your water chariot

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I want something like an applause sign in my house, expect it says JEFF! and turns on automatically whenever he begins a livestream

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

PostNouveau posted:

Here is my street on the high ground of the city. I've never seen the water even approach the curb before and the curb was gone.

It's all drained.

:lol: My apartment drained real fast too. Landlord does not seem to accept my hypothesis that this means the cork he put in the holes didn't work and that it drained out the same holes and that this is going to happen again maybe worse in 2 days.

are you uptown?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if white supremacists can hunt black people who were all conveniently looters during katrina then you guys should deffo hunt landlords

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Addamere posted:

if white supremacists can hunt black people who were all conveniently looters during katrina then you guys should deffo hunt landlords

drat now I wanna move to New Orleans

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jose posted:

It owns that the country most responsible for climate change is regularly being brutally owned by it and nobody in charge gives a poo poo

most of the world is going to be brutally owned by climate change

the US is huge and rich though, so it can withstand much more ownage with relatively mild death tolls

think about the difference between the response to the Puerto Rico disaster and the response to hurricanes that hit the mainland US. disasters can be made far worse by economic and logistical difficulties. though I'm not sure if "the government threw your island under the bus because no white people live there so they don't give a gently caress about it" counts as an economic obstacle or a logistical one

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Addamere posted:

yeah those landlords are definitely too broke to evacuate

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

time you're spending smug posting rn is time you could be spending catching the landlords before they drown in the flash flood on their way to the airport

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Broke-brained since they're among the people going "oh it's just weather CO2 is good idiots" so maybe they'll just stay put for this since it's not really happening

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

PostNouveau posted:

The only way to fix it is to wash it all away - Curt Cobaine

-Maynard James Keenan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xic5LfFNVc

Cuz I'm praying for rain. And I'm praying for tidal waves.

Learn to Swim

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
literally every poor person in New Orleans is going to die in the next 200 hours.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Crunchy Black posted:

literally every poor person in New Orleans is going to die in the next 200 hours.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

i say swears online posted:

okay you seem like you know something

does atlantic hurricane season heat up in late summer/early fall along with the tail end of the west african monsoon and the beginning of the harmattan for related reasons

I don't know much about how the West African monsoon is coupled to the systems that generate tropical cyclones off of Africa. Typically the African Easterly Jet is at its latitude and strength maximum around late August/early September which generates the most vigorous tropical waves that are more likely to turn into tropical cyclones. The Saharan Air Layer typically moderates around late July/early August which means that convection is heavily inhibited for these African Easterly Waves until this time. It does take a few more weeks for Sea Skin Temperatures to pick back up once the SAL subsides as well.

Monsoon processes that couple to the SAL or African Easterly Jet would definitely affect the productivity of these Cape Verde systems though. A strong SAL can essentially shut down tropical cyclone formation deep into the Caribbean.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

thousands of real estate vultures are salivating at the thought of another katrina driving out the last of the poor and they can buy out every house to turn into an airbnb

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

are you uptown?

Yeah, Irish Channel.

https://twitter.com/dellahasselle/status/1148969081531506692

This is like 3 blocks from me. Although it's obviously people goofing around, it's something to see after being reassured for 2 years that this area never gets high water/didn't flood for Katrina/etc.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is New Orleans flooding because of a tropicalstorm hitting it right now or is the tropical storm that may hit this weekend unrelated to the current flooding

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Is New Orleans flooding because of a tropicalstorm hitting it right now or is the tropical storm that may hit this weekend unrelated to the current flooding

The rain right now is part of the weather system spinning up the tropical depression, but the winds/rains from the tropical depression itself won't hit until Friday or Saturday

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

yeah looks like the storm is just going to sit off the coast gulf coast for a few days getting stronger and dumping rain on louisiana before it actually lands as a cat 1 :waycool:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

man i haven't been on the universal studios tram ride in a long time

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

gently caress and I keep telling my wife I wanna go there before it submerged

well now you get to visit the Venice of the south

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Latest guidance

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lord of Pie posted:

well now you get to visit the Venice of the south

Don't worry, all the coastal cities will be regional Venices soon!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

“Right now 19 feet is the official forecast, and we can manage that,” said David Ramirez, the chief of water management for the Army Corps of Engineers’ New Orleans District. His team will be looking out for low points in the levees, junctures with navigation structures, and other fragile points. “The levees protect the city up to 20 feet, but 19 is close and doesn’t include waves splashing up and so on. It’s too close for comfort for us. And that surge could be more or could be less. If things change and it gets higher, at some point, there’s only so much we can do.”

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

we know it's going to be bad, but we're going to predict it will be one foot less than catastrophic, for reasons

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

but number go up?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, Irish Channel.

https://twitter.com/dellahasselle/status/1148969081531506692

This is like 3 blocks from me. Although it's obviously people goofing around, it's something to see after being reassured for 2 years that this area never gets high water/didn't flood for Katrina/etc.

yeeesh

also yeah people love claiming that such and such neighborhood didn't see katrina flooding

i used to rent a room over in gentilly from a friend who was told that before buying her house, and she was shocked when i showed her fema photos of the address from a project for them that clearly had water up past the doorstep

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

we know it's going to be bad, but we're going to predict it will be one foot less than catastrophic, for reasons

it's also not great for the levees to have them near capacity like that

lol my mother in law is supposed to fly back there this afternoon

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

what was the stage when the levees started failing in 2005

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the pre-hunting black people for sport stage

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's also not great for the levees to have them near capacity like that

lol my mother in law is supposed to fly back there this afternoon

katrina was a cat 1 when it hit new orleans, right?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

katrina was a cat 1 when it hit new orleans, right?

cat3, was being reported as a cat2 at the time. it was slow moving though so had a greater storm surge than expected as well

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

not as high, historic gauge site says a lil over 11'

which is why the feds spent $15bil building new floodworks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

according to that gauge's list of historic high crests, that gauge posted above topped out at 15.24 ft on the day Katrina hit

also, the forecast has been updated. spoiler: it got worse

man, if people thought Bush mishandled the federal response to Katrina, Trump is gonna make people forget all about that