Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Can't believe y'all are forgetting Dr. Selar.

One appearance and a bunch of mentions by other characters do not a recurring character make. :smugdog:

I did, however, forget Worf's adopted parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Drone posted:

I'm probably in the minority on this but "Family" is legit one of my favorite episodes of TNG and one that I somehow hadn't seen until recently. Maybe it resonated a bit more for me because I've lived 4500 miles away from my family for the last seven years, but :shrug:

Oh god, I barely remember this episode because I last watched it 14 years ago probably but I live 400 miles away from my family now and I'm super homesick. How hard am I going to cry on a rewatch y/n

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

curiousTerminal posted:

Oh god, I barely remember this episode because I last watched it 14 years ago probably but I live 400 miles away from my family now and I'm super homesick. How hard am I going to cry on a rewatch y/n

It depends. How recently were you last assimilated by the Borg?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's so great seeing Picard bond with his family only for them all to die horribly as of Generations.

Oh wait.

It's not great at all.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Jean-Luc Picard: "The Nexus, you say? I can travel back to any point in history using this magical wormhole ribbon? Hmmmm."

*goes back a few hours instead of going back a week or so, warning his brother and nephew about the fire and having Dr. Soren arrested on sight, in addition to saving Jim Kirk from MIA status for a better part of the last century*

Smart thinkin' there, Captain.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gonz posted:

Jean-Luc Picard: "The Nexus, you say? I can travel back to any point in history using this magical wormhole ribbon? Hmmmm."

*goes back a few hours instead of going back a week or so, warning his brother and nephew about the fire and having Dr. Soren arrested on sight, in addition to saving Jim Kirk from MIA status for a better part of the last century*

*Goes back to damjat hall and punches out the Naussican about to stab him* "Hey young Jean Luc!!! Don't get yourself stabbed in the loving heart!! But otherwise don't be a pussy!!! Still be mostly a risk taker! But don't get loving stabbed over snooker!"

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Young Picard goes on to get stabbed through the heart the following night over a game of Andorian cee-lo.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Was Picard’s familydying a Ron Moore idea? Because he has the irritating tendency to just kill characters for no apparent reason.

Even more tragic was killing Hutch in Starship Mine and no one giving a gently caress. He taught Data so much about small talk god drat it. :smith:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Timby posted:

Don't plan on it. There are very, very few recurring characters in TNG, and two of them are the Romulans already mentioned.

Edit: Beyond Tomalak and Sela, the only other ones I can think of are Kurn, Lursa, B'etor, Gowron, Lefler, Nechayev, Lea Brahms and, of course, Q.

Imagine if Rockne S. O'Bannon had been the show runner and half of these characters had been hot Australians muppets become main characters after a season or two.

Orv
May 4, 2011

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

*Goes back to damjat hall and punches out the Naussican about to stab him* "Hey young Jean Luc!!! Don't get yourself stabbed in the loving heart!! But otherwise don't be a pussy!!! Still be mostly a risk taker! But don't get loving stabbed over snooker!"

Young Jean Luc would just learn all the wrong lessons from that.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Later he gets into a fight with Matt Berry and gets stabbed anyway.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Gonz posted:

He was just following the Temporal Prime Directive to meddle as little as possible. :v:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

It's all so dumb because nothing else in the movie hinges on the idea of being able to exit the nexus any time, anywhere. They just as easily could have had Guinan say a different sentence that indicates Picard had to exit the nexus at that particular point for some reason.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If I were captain Picard every time something even remotely inconvenient happened I would look up and shout "ENOUGH OF THIS, Q!"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If I were captain Picard every time something even remotely inconvenient happened I would look up and shout "ENOUGH OF THIS, Q!"

Nagilum smiles, no one ever suspects.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

https://twitter.com/SirPatStew/status/1148999723019395072?s=19

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Aww, he has a new Number 1.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Who moved the moon so close?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
That's a good dog.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It’s the 25th century, why are they still docking pitbull ears? :mad:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is that really a dog with Vulcan ears

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And Sarek's Katra. It's a grumpy, sardonic psychically-talking dog character.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

pointed out by a friend:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They use genetic engineering. Or it's a Rigellian Space Weevil that happens to look like a dog.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Is it more likely that the dog is named Q or Wesley?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

This is actually the first plot arc for episodes 1-3 :ssh:

Timeless Appeal posted:

Vash

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The dog has actually been Q for years, he got bored of quick fire loving with Picard and decided to commit to a serious bit.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

They've edited the dog's genes to come out that way. An augmented dog. A dogment, if you will.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

His name actually is No. 1

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cross-Section posted:

Lol wow

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
If it's a Spanish dog, it could be Number Juan.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Cross-Section posted:

What if that's actually Riker now

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Q turned Riker into a dog and the entire plot is trying to turn him back

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Or there was some kind of mind swap. Picard sets out for an adventure with Riker in the body of a dog, meanwhile Troi is left to look after a dog in the body of Riker.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

marktheando posted:

Or there was some kind of mind swap. Picard sets out for an adventure with Riker in the body of a dog, meanwhile Troi is left to look after a dog in the body of Riker.

I want... no, NEED to see this movie. Riker jumping and slobbering all over a flustered Troi sold it for me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol this is what "we just want this franchise to die already" looks like.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Those fuckin ears what in the actual gently caress :ughh:

Fortunately ridiculous art direction doesn't necessarily mean the whole production will be ridiculous.

Right? :ohdear:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

What finally brought an end to the Star Trek franchise was pissing off dog people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Cross-Section posted:

"Good work, Number One.

...He's my number one dog!"