Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I definitely saw a double wide door during that excursion, so it must be fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Urgh, I lost a colonist to a heavy charge blaster headshot today, it was the only shot that hit anyone. :xcom:

I need to learn to hide behind all my defences before exposing my guys even slightly and drat the cost in traps/IEDs/shells/turrets since the ethical challenge run I'm doing makes it so much harder to get pawns. Also had to let a prisoner go since one of my guys had a sadism mental break, them's the self-imposed rules.

I think I need to open up recruiting guests willingly as a source of people, their factions don't like it but hey, they're joining willingly and forcing myself to fulfil quests should help offset that.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hail santan. Sacrifice raiders to c'thulhu errday

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Come to think of it, I havent actually sacrificed anyone in multiple games now. My Vampire always gets an incredibly OP social skill from being Tremere that I just use it for the good sermon mood boost. We're using interdimensional deities as a community building exercise :v:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Walton Simons posted:

Urgh, I lost a colonist to a heavy charge blaster headshot today, it was the only shot that hit anyone. :xcom:

I need to learn to hide behind all my defences before exposing my guys even slightly and drat the cost in traps/IEDs/shells/turrets since the ethical challenge run I'm doing makes it so much harder to get pawns. Also had to let a prisoner go since one of my guys had a sadism mental break, them's the self-imposed rules.

I think I need to open up recruiting guests willingly as a source of people, their factions don't like it but hey, they're joining willingly and forcing myself to fulfil quests should help offset that.

That's how I recommend people set up defenses in normal play, anyway. Steel, components, and chemfuel are generally (relatively) easily replaceable, unless you're doing a challenge biome run; skilled pawns aren't.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I dunno why people get so upset about showing some raiders the merciful oblivion of C'thulhu's gaze. Only if you're lucky do all your pawns get to partake in his blessed madness in the end. Some are rejected and forced to remain in this mortal plane, so sending raiders ahead is a kindness if you really think about it.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

bird food bathtub posted:

I dunno why people get so upset about showing some raiders the merciful oblivion of C'thulhu's gaze. Only if you're lucky do all your pawns get to partake in his blessed madness in the end. Some are rejected and forced to remain in this mortal plane, so sending raiders ahead is a kindness if you really think about it.

Appropriate for page.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I explained to a friend that Dagon is cool because we give him delicious souls, and in return he throws some of that useless-to-him gold he has lying around. He's got gold, we got souls, it's a symbiotic friendship where everyone wins. Dagon's a bro :unsmith:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Walton Simons posted:

ethical challenge run

Possibly both the Rimmist and Worldist concepts: self-imposed challenge to avoid crimes against humanity.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Danaru posted:

We're using interdimensional deities as a community building exercise :v:

As someone who grew up in the midwest, that's hitting way too close to home for me.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I kinda wish you could load prisoners into transport pods and send them home that way, I dont really want them to die and most of them are garbage so I dont want to recruit them, but I'm on a rogue planet so the winters are only getting colder each year :saddowns: it's already too cold for caravans to arrive and theres no way they'll make it with the prisoner debuff to speed.

I'm considering mining off the map and seeing if that tunnel counts as a map exit, maybe traders will show up that route instead of trying and failing to take the outside route

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Danaru posted:

I kinda wish you could load prisoners into transport pods and send them home that way, I dont really want them to die and most of them are garbage so I dont want to recruit them, but I'm on a rogue planet so the winters are only getting colder each year :saddowns: it's already too cold for caravans to arrive and theres no way they'll make it with the prisoner debuff to speed.

I'm considering mining off the map and seeing if that tunnel counts as a map exit, maybe traders will show up that route instead of trying and failing to take the outside route

Mod it

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

I would but nobody's made a mod for that and I'm too stupid to do it myself :smith:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the early game scrappy survival where you're constantly recovering from event after event, before you get established and optimized, it my favorite part of the game. Late game tech phase eventually kills my interest in the colony and start over lol

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Babe Magnet posted:

the early game scrappy survival where you're constantly recovering from event after event, before you get established and optimized, it my favorite part of the game. Late game tech phase eventually kills my interest in the colony and start over lol

It's fun but then it also sucks rear end when you're like 2 days from pulling in your 1st self sufficient crop and it gets blighted and oh no there is no one available to clear the blight fast enough because 2 pawns have serious food poisoning and the other 4 are in the infirmary recovering from the raid a few hours before.

I let that one play out and ended up with 2 colonists cannibalizing the other 4 since there was also like zero animals on the map (desert, permanent summer).

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

Paramemetic posted:

Do any of you skip the early survival part when trying to get to a late game? If so, what's your preferred method?

I will occasionally when I want to try a new mod and don't want to gently caress up a save, or just experiment with base layouts and designs. Just turn on dev tools and activate God mode, and build the base of your dreams. Use dev tools to build roofs and spawn weapons, armor and equipment.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
What exactly does god mode do? I might start using it to skip the early phase since I don't enjoy it as much anymore

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That Works posted:

It's fun but then it also sucks rear end when you're like 2 days from pulling in your 1st self sufficient crop and it gets blighted and oh no there is no one available to clear the blight fast enough because 2 pawns have serious food poisoning and the other 4 are in the infirmary recovering from the raid a few hours before.

I let that one play out and ended up with 2 colonists cannibalizing the other 4 since there was also like zero animals on the map (desert, permanent summer).

Yeah that one's annoying, and also the Toxic Fallout That Lasts An Entire Month Before You Even Have A Barracks Built (this was my first TF ever lol) but it's worth suffering through that to get to enjoy early game assaults where everyone has lovely guns and bows and clubs and you don't have a killbox set up yet so you're fighting in the alleys between your buildings and using logs and rocks still laying around as cover

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I turn off Toxic Fallout because it's a boring event that tends to last a ridiculously long time and basically does nothing besides force you to build a ton of roofs, put the kebosh on interacting with the world, and gently caress with your pawns' allowed areas a whole lot in a really irritating manner rather than actually presenting a crisis.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

Does real ruins still break with doors expanded? I like having double wide doors, but I also like real ruins and would like to give that a go as I'm probably starting a new colony soon/tonight.

Edit: also is sparkling worlds fairly in depth? I use glitterworlds but only for I want to say pain sticks and pain guns and I think stun guns and the microwave gun can fill the same niche.

I want to go in on some late tech poo poo so I'm going to do a start with a lot of resources and tech already started. I want to do maybe rimefeller for producing plastics but I dunno.

Do any of you skip the early survival part when trying to get to a late game? If so, what's your preferred method?

For me the "early survival" part ends up being roughly one year of gameplay before I've hit stable food production and reasonable ability to defend myself. By the end of the second year, I'm able to consider large-scale engineering projects like self contained mountain bases or 3x thick walls to neuter raids.

What kills me about the late game is the unavoidable slowdown as your pawn counts increase. No matter what you'll eventually outstrip your processor's ability to perform the calculations and the game will slow to a crawl. I usually reach this point 8-9 years in, but it can happen sooner if I get a lot of recruits or decide to let a chick-splosion occur.

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah that one's annoying, and also the Toxic Fallout That Lasts An Entire Month Before You Even Have A Barracks Built (this was my first TF ever lol) but it's worth suffering through that to get to enjoy early game assaults where everyone has lovely guns and bows and clubs and you don't have a killbox set up yet so you're fighting in the alleys between your buildings and using logs and rocks still laying around as cover

I am proud to say I've never built a "killbox" in the traditional sense of letting the traps and turrets do the risky poo poo. Even on my Starship Troopers-esq bug post a few months back, it was my pawns fighting the bugs. Tactical fights like this have always been more fun for me, and the reason I like raids is the setpiece of getting my pawns geared up and manning the barricades, fighting it out, and god-forbid something went wrong and I need to fall back and fighting from riskier positions to keep the bad guys from actually getting inside and loving poo poo up.

The best fights were ones where the raiders actually managed to force their way inside and make me fight 3+ smaller battles inside my own defenses to try and push them out/keep them from taking the hospital/reaching the vault/whatever.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah I would enjoy TF a lot more (or at all) if there were some kind of counter-play other than Build Your Base A Specific Way, And Quickly. Some kind of traveling fog would be cool, or wind-turbines could remove it in an area, or even some kind of new tech like scrubbers that counter it but take a lot of fuel or something.

There's probably a mod for that sort of thing but at that point just mod it out.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Kanos posted:

I turn off Toxic Fallout because it's a boring event that tends to last a ridiculously long time and basically does nothing besides force you to build a ton of roofs, put the kebosh on interacting with the world, and gently caress with your pawns' allowed areas a whole lot in a really irritating manner rather than actually presenting a crisis.

OTOH playing a perma Toxic Fallout + Nuclear Fallout (Rimatomics) post-apoc type gen was incredibly fun as a challenge.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I might try the god mode thing to skip the first 6 months or so, yeah. My laptop just died forcing me to replace it so I'm starting a new colony under less than desired circumstances but yeah.

I like the early survival bits but I often just find it slow, or annoyingly long and ultimately failed such that I don't get to try the thing I want to try. Or I forget. But I've never used god mode so I'll see what that does. Seems easier than trying to stack a start, too.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Last time I did a Rimworld embark, I used Prepare Carefully to send an all-borged pawn with no hard work restrictions down Naked and Alone. It cuts the 3x-speed tedium of setting up a shack and cooking food for the first time by a bit, and gives your sole pawn a solid survival chance against predators even before you can craft a real weapon, but creates a dynamic once you have 2-3 other pawns where you have to work to balance job accomplishment so as not to rely too heavily on someone who could lose an irreplaceable bionic limb to a bad roll from a sniper rifle.

Also Crash Landed creates a very different survival dynamic where it is feasible to harvest some extremely advanced or valuable poo poo from the initial ship parts, but also it is a race against time as the entire map is engulfed in flames, and also leaves you with an outsized Wealth value for calculating Raids vs your actual preparedness once you survive the fires and start to scratch out a living. If you aren't missing too many legs and feet, relocating a hex over to an area where the flora and fauna weren't both ravaged by interlocking wildfires might actually be a solid move ~

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Danaru posted:

What exactly does god mode do? I might start using it to skip the early phase since I don't enjoy it as much anymore

It allows you to build whatever simply by clicking it in place. Want a golden wall? Select it as you would normally build a wall, except when you place it, it's a fully formed golden wall, no work required. Same with a nutrient paste dispenser or pool table. Also, you have access to all tech gated building of things.

I think you can even place geothermal generators in places without the need of a geyser, but then with dev mode you can also just place the geyser.

You then can use Spawn Stacks of 75 for resources, or Try to Place Near for solo items, but afaik you can't control the quality (it's random).

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'd be careful placing geysers unless something changed. I always ended up editing the game files in Notepad++ to deal with them. Game never much liked modifying them normally in my experience.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

I'd be careful placing geysers unless something changed. I always ended up editing the game files in Notepad++ to deal with them. Game never much liked modifying them normally in my experience.

They're tricky to place accurately, almost like the geyser is slightly off center from the pointer.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
There's a mod to create and remove geysers! :eng101: For those that want to be able to do it without having to dev them in

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I just reinstalled this over the past weekend and played like mad so now I'm in a good spot where I think it's actually possibly to build a ship or hike all the way to the free one. Which is better- hiking there or building the ship?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

frogge posted:

I just reinstalled this over the past weekend and played like mad so now I'm in a good spot where I think it's actually possibly to build a ship or hike all the way to the free one. Which is better- hiking there or building the ship?

Kinda varies according to the location/distance and your current settlement/pawns, really. Like my current game has the ship in the arctic on the far side of a bay so I'd have to trek through tundra if I wanted to hike it.

There's also the option of resettling closer and launching everyone for the last leg instead of caravanning all the way.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I didn't know you could do that!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The 'raids can go wrong' mod is endless fun btw. Most of the time nothing happens, then a raid comes and jaguar manhunter packs spawn next to them and take out half the attackers. Yesterday I had a raid spawn and everyone in it had a rapid aging disease. By the time the raid started and they came across the map most of the attackers were frail and half blind.

A siege raid started off and finished in about 2 seconds with one of my guys hitting a perfect mortar shot knocking out a ton of people at once and meteorites impacting on the rest of them. No survivors and was over in a blink.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

frogge posted:

Building is infinitely easier because it's basically just a matter of making sure your defenses are built well enough to handle multiple attacks without much of a break, whereas caravanning will entail a long, long walk detached from resupply unless you're opting to do it in legs.

I've launched a bunch of ships and I've never even even considered making the journey.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

More Vanilla Turrets has the "Devastator Mortar." It used to require some specialized ammunition, but at some point they revamped it to just take electricity. While I love the thing to death for its aesthetic and mechanics, it also is hilariously overpowered to have a single mortar fire five shots rapid.

This doesn't mean I won't get excited to hear THUHTHUHTHUHTHUHTHUH and watch that chunk of ground evaporate, but I definitely feel it should probably have an ammo type.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Warmachine posted:

This doesn't mean I won't get excited to hear THUHTHUHTHUHTHUHTHUH and watch that chunk of ground evaporate, but I definitely feel it should probably have an ammo type.

Obviously an antilegume warhead.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The hardest part about the escape isn't getting access to the ship, it's defending against for weeks against the relentless waves that hit you as you wait for it to power up. If you hike to the ship you still have to defend it while it powers, and in order to do so you'll basically need to build an entire new fort around it, one that probably won't have things like an advanced hospital, turret power grid, minefield, etc.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Warmachine posted:

More Vanilla Turrets has the "Devastator Mortar." It used to require some specialized ammunition, but at some point they revamped it to just take electricity. While I love the thing to death for its aesthetic and mechanics, it also is hilariously overpowered to have a single mortar fire five shots rapid.

The Devastator started off only requiring power, then it was felt that was too OP so the mod author switched it to ammo. I'm curious about why they switched it back, but I'd guess that they couldn't get the ammo cost to feel right. While I did like that in batteries, I've found that the Imperial Guard Turrets addon artillery piece called the Thud Gun is much more amusing. It's got a similar range of effect as the Devastator and launches multiple rounds like the Devastator, but the rounds are slower and instead of just blowing everything up it sets everything on fire. There's a little outright damage that it does so batteries aren't completely ineffective against Mechanoids, but I'm found nothing more satisfying than watching a particularly large raid burn rather than vaporize.

Mmm.

Warms my heart it does.

And theirs.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Complications posted:

The Devastator started off only requiring power, then it was felt that was too OP so the mod author switched it to ammo. I'm curious about why they switched it back, but I'd guess that they couldn't get the ammo cost to feel right. While I did like that in batteries, I've found that the Imperial Guard Turrets addon artillery piece called the Thud Gun is much more amusing. It's got a similar range of effect as the Devastator and launches multiple rounds like the Devastator, but the rounds are slower and instead of just blowing everything up it sets everything on fire. There's a little outright damage that it does so batteries aren't completely ineffective against Mechanoids, but I'm found nothing more satisfying than watching a particularly large raid burn rather than vaporize.

Mmm.

Warms my heart it does.

And theirs.

Honestly the most compelling reason for me to keep Rimsenal: Ferals installed is the flamethrower. It behaves exactly like I'd expect a flamethrower to behave in Rimworld mechanics, and is absolutely perfect for close range area denial. I used it on two pawns during a massive infested ship chunks event to keep the bugs from getting close to my blob of shooter pawns.

Which reminds me that I don't think we addressed how loving awesome the flamethrower is when we made the Rimsenal effortposts a few pages back. It's got the same range as the Incendiary Launcher, but instead of one projectile exploding in a 1-tile wide cross, it's something like 5-7 projectiles lighting random tiles in a cone on fire. The multiple projectiles and cone shape spread gives it so much more utility compared to the vanilla weapon, even though it loses the AOE (which wasn't really desirable anyway). Any deaths it causes end up being a happy side effect.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i've frequently wondered why a flamethrower isn't in vanilla since it's not that hard to make one (it's hard to make it really good and safe but that's another story) and it'd be the perfect weapon against bugs in a game that really does not have a great solution to bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Coolguye posted:

i've frequently wondered why a flamethrower isn't in vanilla since it's not that hard to make one (it's hard to make it really good and safe but that's another story) and it'd be the perfect weapon against bugs in a game that really does not have a great solution to bugs.

"Good and safe" seems antithetical to the spirit of this kind of game, anyway.