Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

marktheando posted:

So the switch lite doesn't have HD rumble. Does this mean it has non-HD rumble, or no rumble?

No rumble.

https://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-switch-lite-is-smaller-cheaper-and-handheld-only/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Procrastine posted:

OK but how do you play with joycons. There's no kickstand so do you just have to put it flat on a table? That seems like an uncomfortable way to play but I guess it works. Still hosed up that you would have to buy extra controllers for it though.

I guess they imagine nobody will want to do this anyway, but if you did, you can buy a stand.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I dont have a Switch but Switch Lite does interest me a bit because:

We only have one big TV and my wife likes to watch lot of series.

Im mostly interested in Switch exclusives (Zelda etc) and the cheaper price makes it a bit more attractive.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

io_burn posted:

Sure, but most people carry a device in their pocket where they can type "difference between switch lite and switch" into Google before randomly spending $200 to $300 on something they don't know anything about.

Right, but there's also people who go to their phone carrier and pick up whatever device is cheapest or whatever the sales rep can sell them all, those same people that don't care about the differences between phones because they only talk or text on it. Do you think those people are going to go through the hassle of looking that stuff up prior for a child's toy? There's still a lot of people in the world that didn't grow up using phones to look up information and a lot that don't really care to.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

People that primarily play handheld even at home: what's the reason? Nothing to connect it to? Roommate that perpetually hogs the TV? Just enjoy playing in bed that much?

My fiancee is usually using the tv, but also less investment? It feels nice not to be tethered to the tv, being able to just press the sleep button and roll over is really cool.

I have a gooseneck grip next to my bed

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 10, 2019

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So only a Switch Lite was announced, no Switch Pro?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
For tabletop mode I bought a foldy-stand-thing, the same sort that came with Kid Icarus Uprising, just larger.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Has anyone called it "the little switch that couldn't" yet?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Vikar Jerome posted:

gently caress this lite news, ITS TIME FOR REAL NEWS (unless its already been posted? first i've im hearing of this)

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:
rating for a NEW SUPER MONKEY BALL FOR SWITCH has been found.
:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:
https://gonintendo.com/stories/3396...uJUxzBOaVnZ5l3U

AAAAAAA

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

bushisms.txt posted:

My fiancee is usually using the tv, but also less investment? It feels nice not to be tethered to the tv, being able to just press the sleep button and roll over is really cool.

this is extremely powerful

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

WaltherFeng posted:

I dont have a Switch but Switch Lite does interest me a bit because:

We only have one big TV and my wife likes to watch lot of series.

Im mostly interested in Switch exclusives (Zelda etc) and the cheaper price makes it a bit more attractive.

It costs $80 for a pair of joycons to play the incompatible games.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Switch pro is going to be docked only

just a small box like the vita tv, bundled with a pro controller. switch pro.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I can't believe that Nintendo announced an entire hardware revision just to distract people away from the fact they couldn't fart out a third NES game this month

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So only a Switch Lite was announced, no Switch Pro?

Just the Lite, I guess they're saving the pro for later.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

bushisms.txt posted:

This changes everything.

There's no stand in the Lite but you could just prop it up against any object.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Right, but there's also people who go to their phone carrier and pick up whatever device is cheapest or whatever the sales rep can sell them all, those same people that don't care about the differences between phones because they only talk or text on it. Do you think those people are going to go through the hassle of looking that stuff up prior for a child's toy? There's still a lot of people in the world that didn't grow up using phones to look up information and a lot that don't really care to.

I think if they're buying a child a toy they won't give a poo poo whether or not it can play 1-2 Switch, and if they do they can return it?

acems
May 8, 2019

also sure the lite doesn't have a kickstand, but the regular switch's kickstand sucks rear end and mine won't even open at this point without basically popping off of the console.

i wonder where the SD port is gonna be, though. Probably a port on top?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Since my OG switch has dead wifi, maybe I'll buy a switch mini and just keep my original one docked and on LAN?

If its really $125 to have them fix the wifi out of warranty, its not really worth it

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

If they're really cutting all these features, then they better make the whole package a hell of a lot tougher. My friend is currently borrowing her nephew's Switch, and he loving mangled the thing. The kickstand has been ripped out, and the left stick won't even click in anymore (I asked her to check the stick calibration and she couldn't because you need to click it to identify the stick :downs:). Any repairs needed are gonna be harder to deal with if you can't just detach the individual joycon and ship it off to Nintendo for a few weeks.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

This changes everything.

There's no stand in the Lite but you could just prop it up against any object.

From the look of it, you could slide it into something like my grip no problem. There's a ton of third party "ipad" table grips.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

acems posted:

also sure the lite doesn't have a kickstand, but the regular switch's kickstand sucks rear end and mine won't even open at this point without basically popping off of the console.

Bottom right.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm stunned about the bezel though, they really couldn't take the screen all the way to the edge?

Fragility jumps dramatically once you narrow the bezel. If they want this to be tough, they'd have big safe ones.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

acems posted:

Looks like bottom right on the back.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

LODGE NORTH posted:

Looks like bottom right on the back.

That's the game cartridge slot, not the SD card slot. Unless the Lite will have both under that cover?

Also looking at that picture makes me realize that it's still got the two alignment holes on either side of the USB port that are normally used for keeping the Switch stable in a dock :crossarms:

And existing third-party stands aren't a good explanation for how you're going to play the Lite in tabletop mode. Even if it's a licensed product, Nintendo isn't going to say "just go buy Hori's stand if you want to play tabletop"—it needs to be self-contained, even if it's a half-assed solution (just look at the existing kickstand)

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Sorry, any news on whether you’d be able to have your digital games on more than one Switch? I suppose we should already know this. I imagine it’s not as restrictive as the 3DS.

I’m mildly interested as most of my Switch time is portable but it would be an annoying sacrifice to not be able to dock for Mario Kart.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

keithy george posted:

Sorry, any news on whether you’d be able to have your digital games on more than one Switch? I suppose we should already know this. I imagine it’s not as restrictive as the 3DS.

I’m mildly interested as most of my Switch time is portable but it would be an annoying sacrifice to not be able to dock for Mario Kart.

It’s already possible right now.

Anyways,
https://twitter.com/agentbizzle/status/1148961287663001605?s=21

Me, tbh.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

TBH I expected a gameboy/DS option for the switch for a while now. It was missing in their lineup.

Now make the Pro HD Switch XL

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

404notfound posted:

That's the game cartridge slot, not the SD card slot. Unless the Lite will have both under that cover?

Nope, there's the normal game slot on the top left. Or that's where the SD is, but I don't know why'd they would swap those.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Mahoning posted:

It’s already possible right now.

Anyways,
https://twitter.com/agentbizzle/status/1148961287663001605?s=21

Me, tbh.

Nintendo customers are the same as Apple customers take 1000

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Evil Badman posted:

Nope, there's the normal game slot on the top left. Or that's where the SD is, but I don't know why'd they would swap those.

Ah you're right, I guess they're just using the same style of cover for both now

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

less laughter posted:

false, those will still be compatible with the Switch Lite by using separate joycons
I mean, that's certainly stretching the lengths of the word compatible.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

I mean, that's certainly stretching the lengths of the word compatible.

I mean, it’s good in the sense that it’s not “incompatible” completely but it is compatible with an (expensive) add-on. Which is regular Nintendo thing to do. A few N64 games and a bunch of Wii games required an extra add-on to play them.

There was nothing you could do to your 3DS to make it play the few NEW 3DS games.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I think way more people didn't upgrade from Wii to WiiU because the whole "console generation" paradigm didn't sit right with them. The name probably confused them, yeah, but "I already have a Wii (and haven't touched it in 3 years) why would I buy this just to keep playing video games" was probably a much bigger factor. The ones who would probably upgraded to a 360 or PS3 well before the WiiU came out.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So Switch Lite is literally the new Game Boy

Cool

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

acems posted:

The kickstand on mine snapped off and went flying somewhere awhile ago when I was taking it out of the dock. No idea where it landed.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Since my OG switch has dead wifi, maybe I'll buy a switch mini and just keep my original one docked and on LAN?
Again, if it's hackable sell it. People will buy it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

acems posted:

SD slot is on the bottom, game card slot is on the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Again, if it's hackable sell it. People will buy it.

This is actually my plan for when the inevitable Better Switch comes out