Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Holy poo poo there's so many better ways to secure that with tape.

This is probably the worst one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Log082 posted:

there is actually a pizza food truck with a wood fired stove in philly, I used to see it all the time. It had a long line every time I walked by, so I suppose it was pretty good. expensive though.

I saw one in Park City, Utah, that had the oven mounted off-center. The guy who owned it said left turns were done VERY CAREFULLY.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Not OSHA, but still on the donor-cycle train: on my morning commute, dude on a crotch-rocket howled by in the HOV lane at probably 120 mph. He had a helmet, but was wearing jeans and a t-shirt (which had ridden up to his neck). My immediate thought was that dude so much as hits a nickel, at that speed, his entire torso was going to get sanded down to his skeleton.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

null_pointer posted:

Not OSHA, but still on the donor-cycle train: on my morning commute, dude on a crotch-rocket howled by in the HOV lane at probably 120 mph. He had a helmet, but was wearing jeans and a t-shirt (which had ridden up to his neck). My immediate thought was that dude so much as hits a nickel, at that speed, his entire torso was going to get sanded down to his skeleton.

At least one of these young bucks was willing to give my cousin's wife some new lungs. She has CF, and now has a 50% longer lease on life :3:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DrPossum posted:

Holy poo poo there's so many better ways to secure that with tape.

This is probably the worst one.

I can think of a worse way. Folding the tape over itself to make it double sided and just sticking a bunch to the box and roof.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Nocheez posted:

At least one of these young bucks was willing to give my cousin's wife some new lungs. She has CF, and now has a 50% longer lease on life :3:

woah, that's awesome!

do they really tell you the story of the donor?

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

I mean,
https://twitter.com/CrowForm/status/1148778336241344512

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well if it fell out, they wouldn't have anything to speed tape in place so they could get that bird back in the air.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Hugh Malone posted:

woah, that's awesome!

Not necessarily. We're not 100% sure, but it timed up with some local news so it's a good possibility.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Hugh Malone posted:

woah, that's awesome!

It probably varies with circumstances but when a friend of mine got an allograft for part of a ACL reconstruction they were given a note about where it came from and the option to send a thank you card to the donor's family

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Can you imagine if you ordered a pizza, the guy drove to your house, and just baked the pizza in the street and brought it right to your door. That would be pretty neat.

Late for oven chat:

Their pizza was good.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

Just pump on the brakes and it'll fly right out

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/M4tfmWd.gifv

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Just pump on the brakes and it'll fly right out

What if the plane was on a treadmill though?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Put his head on Free Real Estate guy's body.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

hello this is my new nightmare

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

mactheknife posted:

At least he got a suit

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

mactheknife posted:

It's not too bad. if it's like that guy who dives in poo poo tanks, he never even has to deal with anything. He puts the suit on, dives in poo poo water, comes out, people hose him off and he's no worse for wear.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Cojawfee posted:

It's not too bad. if it's like that guy who dives in poo poo tanks, he never even has to deal with anything. He puts the suit on, dives in poo poo water, comes out, people hose him off and he's no worse for wear.

dark water and enclosed spaces are too big nope buttons for me, so yeah

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Are you ever really clean after something like that?

Or does the spectrum of clean -> dirty shift dramatically?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

mactheknife posted:

dark water and enclosed spaces are too big nope buttons for me, so yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtlwoX1YEmg

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

hambeet posted:

Are you ever really clean after something like that?

Or does the spectrum of clean -> dirty shift dramatically?

In a full suit like that, you're never really dirty. Nothing gets on your skin.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I guess this is why these normally have a harness.

https://i.imgur.com/rJqkhZ3.mp4

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cave diving in enclosed spaces like that is probably the second-scariest way to die.

First scariest is dying in a regular cave, because you don't get to pass out from oxygen deprivation. Like that guy who got stuck in a crevice upside-down and had a bunch of people helping him 24/7 for days, but they just couldn't pull him out and eventually he suffocated from the position he was in. You have a really long time to acknowledge the poo poo you're in.

Actually, it might be dying from a fall while free climbing. I think I remember one guy doing a sheer face climb so high up that when he fell it took over 20 seconds to hit the ground. Imagine having to process "I have 20 seconds to live and absolutely nothing in the world can save me."

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Try the minimgur app

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Cave diving in enclosed spaces like that is probably the second-scariest way to die.

First scariest is dying in a regular cave, because you don't get to pass out from oxygen deprivation. Like that guy who got stuck in a crevice upside-down and had a bunch of people helping him 24/7 for days, but they just couldn't pull him out and eventually he suffocated from the position he was in. You have a really long time to acknowledge the poo poo you're in.

Actually, it might be dying from a fall while free climbing. I think I remember one guy doing a sheer face climb so high up that when he fell it took over 20 seconds to hit the ground. Imagine having to process "I have 20 seconds to live and absolutely nothing in the world can save me."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jnndm8QeNE&t=600s

Posting for the 500 foot deep hole in the floor, the trip down starts at 10 minutes, but you can back up to 6:30 for the not at all sketchy setup making it all possible.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

nomad2020 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jnndm8QeNE&t=600s

Posting for the 500 foot deep hole in the floor, the trip down starts at 10 minutes, but you can back up to 6:30 for the not at all sketchy setup making it all possible.

That dude seemed like not the best to do that. He was scared af. Not like I wouldn’t be, but you gotta be ready. He was scared at 50 feet it seemed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Burt Sexual posted:

That dude seemed like not the best to do that. He was scared af. Not like I wouldn’t be, but you gotta be ready. He was scared at 50 feet it seemed.

He was scared because they were dropping him down fast as gently caress. That whole thing was dumb as gently caress. No radios, being lowered by people he can't communicate with, no respirator. Part 2 is great when he starts poking at animal corpses.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

So a few months ago one of our drivers was involved in a fatality in Upstate New York. He had come to a stop on the highway for no apparent reason and another truck rear-ended them at 65, killing the driver. After an initial investigation by the DOT, they found no reason for the driver to have been stopped, it looked very bad for us.
About a month later, they finally allowed someone from our shop and the other carrier to inspect the trucks (with lawyers from both companies present) and our mechanic immediately found a chunk of wood sticking out of our air tank. The DOT officer who attended the accident did not realize but the trunk of firewood the he found in the middle of the road was linked to it and kicked it off to the side, however their pictures of the wood on the scene.

In light of this we've been cleared of all wrongdoing in the accident, however there is someone out there who was hauling a load of unsecured firewood down the highway that day directly involved in the death of another driver.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/slowapocalypse/status/1149082032586276864

https://twitter.com/mikewsc1/status/1149078531579641856

https://twitter.com/jaredgilmour/status/1149075666333315072

toxic ash dump is very picturesque

quote:

A Russian energy company has warned Instagram users not to swim in a mesmerising turquoise lake nicknamed the “Siberian Maldives” because it is actually an ash dump filled with harmful metal oxides.

But despite warnings that the artificial pond contains dangerous calcium salts and other metal oxides, it has remained a popular site for selfies, wedding parties and scantily clad photoshoots.

“In the last week, our ash dump has become a celebrity on social networks,” the Siberian Generating Company said last month, warning potential visitors not to drink the water and saying that even “skin contact with the water can lead to an allergic reaction”.

Photographs of women in bikinis lying on the ash dump’s dirt banks and of visitors riding inflatable unicorns on the azure waters have gone viral on social networks.

Some users joked about the taste of the water as “chalky” or “sweet,” though it was not clear if they were being serious. One photographer quoted in the Siberian Times described the water as smelling of “laundry detergent”. The water’s pH is higher than 8, the company said.

The dump is man-made and contains the ash that results from burning coal at the nearby thermal power station, which provides energy to the city of Novosibirsk. It was built in the 1970s and is the largest of its kind in Siberia.

Swimmers may not be able to escape the dangerous waters, the company warned. The bottom of the ash dump is muddy, meaning that “getting out of the reservoir without help is practically impossible”.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:cripes:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kibayasu posted:

I can think of a worse way. Folding the tape over itself to make it double sided and just sticking a bunch to the box and roof.

I don't know, at least that would add friction and friction is the only reason it's still on the roof in that video

I like how the tape is worse than useless because it does nothing but took time to apply

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/hYaWNAW.mp4

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
This is a great example of an optical illusion btw... Rotate the image 180o and you see it's more like a tyre tread...

still pretty bad damage though. :supaburn:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. It's clearly a tyre tread. Or is this one of those 'shrimp or small pastries' joke type things?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Memento posted:

"The fifth floor in my office building has been supported with jacks for more than 20 years"
:supaburn:

Memento, I need you to nominate your charity as per our previous toxx

I conceded...

Cable Guy posted:

You know what.... I know it wasn't in the terms but I'm bookmarking this and saying I lost my :toxx: because gently caress those guys.

Memento... name your charity, I'll pay up on Friday when I get paid.

Edit: link

Edit:

Serephina posted:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. It's clearly a tyre tread. Or is this one of those 'shrimp or small pastries' joke type things?
In the twitter pic, do you see blocks of rubber with grooves between them like a tyre-tread, or do you see flat sections bounded by raised ridges..?

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 11, 2019

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Serephina posted:

The dress is gold

hambeet fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Now there's two threads with nuts in them.