Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Meiteron posted:

We're all forgetting the best part about this quest that requires you to finish the role quest line which is that you're literally cheering up First!Gerolt and not only does the WoL visibly go "awwwww gently caress not this poo poo again" on seeing him but the only real difference between this dude and Source!Gerolt is a head of long, luxurious hair

Not true.

First!Gerolt is an ARTISTE with a MUSE, unlike that lout on the Source :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Hello, I am thinking about trying this out because I'm getting the MMO itch gain and BfA sucks major rear end. Two quick questions: Can you guys tell me more about housing (do free trial accounts get the opportunity to play with it at all?), and which goon guild should I join if I do sign up?

Go to the goon guild you feel like joining, assuming you get on Exaclibur?

Third Party Tools is geared most towards new players / alts, IIRC and has a blanket no story spoilers in FC chat. I've been in it since I've started and there's plenty of cool and helpful people.

I don't know much about housing but I assume trials can't buy houses, but might be able to get apartments or FC rooms. (Which are basically just personal interior spaces you can put housing items down in.)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Hello, I am thinking about trying this out because I'm getting the MMO itch gain and BfA sucks major rear end. Two quick questions: Can you guys tell me more about housing (do free trial accounts get the opportunity to play with it at all?), and which goon guild should I join if I do sign up?

housing is a long-term goal generally, the major barrier isn't necessarily that it's expensive (although it is a bit) so much as there are limited slots that get pounced on immediately as soon as they open. you can still get a room in your free company's house or an apartment in one of the complexes and access at least some of the features though.

choose whichever goon FC you want, but if you want subjective opinions ime TPT is pretty good for newbies in part because of the strict rule against spoilers

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Rand Brittain posted:

The final shot of the MSQ is how I will always remember my WoL in my head.

So many to choose from

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i need that namazu bell for reasons

how annoying are their beast tribe quests? they're the crafting tribe, right? i dont have any crafters leveled so how bad will this be for me?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

any kind of housing requires level 50, so trial accounts won't be able to do it. you will probably not get to do the actual house-making stuff regardless, especially if you get onto excalibur, since supply is limited and the server is highly populated. but as has been mentioned, you can get either an apartment or a private chamber in one of the preexisting free company houses that you can decorate to your heart's content.

Thumbtacks posted:

how annoying are their beast tribe quests? they're the crafting tribe, right? i dont have any crafters leveled so how bad will this be for me?

namazu are the SB crafters, yeah. they require a crafting class at level 60+, so get busy.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

You'd need to get a crafter or gatherer up to level... 60? At least first. The actual quests themselves are no hassle at all. No idea what leveling a DoH/DoL from starting point is like these days.

Note it can be a gatherer as far as I know, unlike moogles, it doesn't need to be a crafter.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

It'll be so bad its literally impossible to do.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Namazu also work with gatherers!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Xun posted:

Namazu also work with gatherers!

It does! I maxed them out as a Botanist alone. Super easy.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

CapnAndy posted:

Housing comes in a couple of different varieties, most of which are not available to trials. The goon FCs all have houses though so you can at least look at those, and possibly get a room to decorate. To buy a house you need to be level 50, and watch the market like a hawk, and be very fast and very lucky. To buy an apartment you just need to be 50.

TPT is great for newbies and also everyone else, but unfortunately making a character on Excalibur is locked right now. You can make a character on some other server on Primal and still play with excal people (plus look at our houses), and maybe transfer later. Alternatively wait for the rush to die down a bit so the server status changes, or try very early in the morning. The congestion locking is extremely annoying.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
oh i think my botanist is like 54 so that's not the end of the world

i dont really remember how to easily level gatherers from 50-60 (probably gathering) but i think that garlandbell website will probably help

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

i dont really remember how to easily level gatherers from 50-60 (probably gathering) but i think that garlandbell website will probably help

Collectables were always my bread and butter for leveling botanist and miner since they were introduced.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

yep botanist it is

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

Leves, weekly turnins if you've unlocked Zhloe (do that, weeklies are nearly two free levels), dailies for your grand company and collectables.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I've only been playin FF14 for like a week, boosted a WHM to 70 and skipped the story content to finish Shadowbringers. My first time doing the last dungeon had some whiny bitch DPS call me out for my lovely positioning while I'm trying to keep everybody alive as well as contribute damage cos no way the group had collective DPS to take down the last boss without healer intervention. Most of the time people on Duty Finder are chill but sometimes you get some nutcase who expect people to read up every guide prior to a boss and take things down first try. Apparently making mistakes is detrimental to his fun and enjoyment of the game, so why does he play a MMO that is so dependent on getting the dance perfect every time.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

somepartsareme posted:

And most importantly, Y'shtola slapping Urianger's rear end

This is actually weirdly important to ShB's narrative structure. (Big spoilers to follow, obviously.)

Someone on Reddit pointed out that the major plot beats are all structured around ancient Greek ideals of 'love'. The Lightwardens are mockeries of a particular type of love, brought to its perverse extreme, which is usually represented in their names, and the struggle to defeat them helps the party to overcome a concomitant issue that they have with love.

Philia - the love of friends - is a hideous creature that chains down and siphons away the life of others. You defeat it after re-establishing the friendships you'd seemingly lost over the time that passed in the First, and after witnessing Alisaie struggling with Tesleen's 'death'. She can't bring herself to kill Tesleen when she first changes - an uneven friendship where she prolongs her friend's 'existence' out of a kind of selfishness. It's only after joining up with you that she gains the courage to kill Tesleen and move forwards.

Xenia - the love of hospitality (or the love of a guest to a host and vice-versa) - is represented by Titania, a monstrously selfish host who forces her guests to 'play' with her, regardless of the cost. You defeat her after you manage to engender a proper, reciprocal relationship of guest and host between yourself and Fao Ul, which leads to the same amongst the rest of the fae.

Eros - the love of beauty - is a colorful and exotic animal that secretly houses the ugly poison of a serpent. You defeat it after Y'shtola allows the cold, academic shell she's built up over the years to thaw. She maintains a distance from others, seeing everything only in terms of its aetheric composition, and fails to find any beauty in herself, leading her to recklessly sacrifice her life. It's only after Runar embraces her that she starts to come to appreciate the beauty that others seen in her, culminating in her sharing both the beauty of a friend's words and the beauty of a simple touch once Eros is defeated.

Storge - the love between parents and children - is a golden mask whose 'children' (its numerous wings) only coldly imitate their parent, with no will of their own. You defeat it after Ryne and Thancred come to terms with the meaning of their relationship as father and daughter, and after Thancred accepts the death of his previous, adoptive child. Thancred shows that he's willing to sacrifice himself for Ryne, not for Minfilia, and Ryne gains her own, individual identity, separate from what her father coveted, leading to Storge's defeat.

Agape - the love of charity, and the love of God to his children (and vice-versa) - is represented by Innocence, a tyrant whose charity is a lie and whose love is entirely one-sided. You defeat it after Alphinaud finally comes to terms with the fact that there's no absolute, unconditional 'truth' that he can appeal to and appease - or, in other terms, once he realizes that his apparent love and charity for others was only serving his sense of moral righteousness, rather than the world ('God"). You can only get to Mt. Gulg after Alphinaud gives a comparatively tame dressing down of Eulmore, where he does not withhold criticism, but neither does he bask in having the moral high ground. Consequently, Eulmore and the rest of Norvrandt - who have rededicated themselves to their love for the world and those who live in it - are able to help you reach and defeat the false 'God' reigning above.

It's a surprisingly coherent narrative thread that works well to give both character development and an overarching theme that ties every beat together.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

Leves, weekly turnins if you've unlocked Zhloe (do that, weeklies are nearly two free levels), dailies for your grand company and collectables.

where do i unlock zhloe?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

where do i unlock zhloe?

Information I've dug up says you can't unlock Zhloe until level 60, which seems like it won't help you much.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Not true.

First!Gerolt is an ARTISTE with a MUSE, unlike that lout on the Source :colbert:

His Muse is alcohol and how dare you tarnish her name as such. :colbert:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Thinking of trying this out on trial version while summer's slow and I have poo poo to do until I move mid-August

I'm guessing all the previous expansion's classes are locked off unless you buy the game?

E: What's the most fun base class to try poo poo out low level?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Insurrectionist posted:

Thinking of trying this out on trial version while summer's slow and I have poo poo to do until I move mid-August

I'm guessing all the previous expansion's classes are locked off unless you buy the game?

All of the classes have a fairly slow wind-up period tbh, but for the starting set Arcanist can get fairly busy compared to some classes, with two dots to maintain, a 30s cooldown off-global at level 10 and then two more at level 18. Plus it lets you flex into continuing as DPS or swapping to healer at level 30.

It's a good introduced to classes that don't have a true rotation but more of a priority system. Archer is another like this, but it's simpler early on.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 10, 2019

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Insurrectionist posted:

All the expansion jobs are obtained after you reach level 50 at minimum, and I think the trial goes up to 35.

It's hard to say which jobs are all that fun by level 35, but Puglist/Monk and Rogue/Ninja give you a bit of a glimpse of their play. Conjurer/White Mage is good if you're into healing. All the tanks are pretty slow (Gladiator/Paladin and Marauder/Warrior) but they're both about the same early game.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
50-60 botanist was fairly painless with leves, 60s it started getting bad so I switched to collectible gathering and did 64-70 in a few hours of not particularly dedicated effort spread over the course of a day.

ed: dont forget to do the GC turnins especially if they're starred, big chunks of xp easy.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vermain posted:

This is actually weirdly important to ShB's narrative structure. (Big spoilers to follow, obviously.)

This is pretty interesting. I'm not sure how closely it hews to the actual intent of the writing team, but the placement of some of the bosses in the story Philia and Storge in particular lends it some weight and it's a well thought out theory either way.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Insurrectionist posted:

Just pick one you think you'll like and go with it. After level 15 you can grab all the other ones (other than expansion jobs) with the same character.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

THM/BLM is pretty basic sub 50, much less sub 35, but it also feels most like it has a "system"?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Insurrectionist posted:

Thaumaturge. Many jobs don't have their basic gameplay gimmick until higher levels, but thaumaturge/black mage is introducing you to the essential loop by like level 5: Fire spells cost a shitload of MP and do a lot of damage, Blizzard spells do little damage but regenerate your MP, solve for dead mob.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cabbit posted:

Thaumaturge. Many jobs don't have their basic gameplay gimmick until higher levels, but thaumaturge/black mage is introducing you to the essential loop by like level 5: Fire spells cost a shitload of MP and do a lot of damage, Blizzard spells do little damage but regenerate your MP, solve for dead mob.

I think MNK is the only other job that actually has a reasonable rotation at very low levels. Many jobs don't have full combos until the 40s for some reason.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

Cabbit posted:

Yeah I'd agree with this one. The other classes will be fine but you don't get a lot of the fun tricks until you unlock the job at 30 at the least.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Vermain posted:

Very cool post, thank you.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

Warrior has a decent potency spammable AoE early which is nice. Conjurer is the only healer you have access to before level 30, when Arcanist will split into Summoner and Scholar, the latter of which is a healer. Speaking of which, the Arcanist's jobs are pretty fun but the base class has pretty mediocre damage and can be a little boring to play because of it. I think Pugilist is pretty good, they get a usable combo quickly and you have to move around a bit to get the most out of it.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Thanks for the tips I'll try one of those starts

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

CYBEReris posted:

Warrior has a decent potency spammable AoE early which is nice.

All tanks now have their first AoE by level 10 and it's a fantastic QOL change.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Pugilist is the first job to get a full 123 combo (by level 6), which also establishes the main flow of the job. Everything they get after that adds complexity to the formula rather than changing it drastically, so you should be able to determine early on if you like the class or not.

I agree that thaumaturge is another good choice for similar reasons since their basic concept (swapping between astral and umbral) also comes into play very early on, but note that there are several points between 1 and 80 the flow of your main rotation will change significantly.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Magil Zeal posted:

All of the classes have a fairly slow wind-up period tbh, but for the starting set Arcanist can get fairly busy compared to some classes, with two dots to maintain, a 30s cooldown off-global at level 10 and then two more at level 18. Plus it lets you flex into continuing as DPS or swapping to healer at level 30.

It's a good introduced to classes that don't have a true rotation but more of a priority system. Archer is another like this, but it's simpler early on.

Archer had a 30s self buff and 2 18s dots

They are now 2 30s dots and the self buff is gone so early level archer is probably reaaaal simple

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

CYBEReris posted:

Warrior has a decent potency spammable AoE early which is nice. Conjurer is the only healer you have access to before level 30, when Arcanist will split into Summoner and Scholar, the latter of which is a healer. Speaking of which, the Arcanist's jobs are pretty fun but the base class has pretty mediocre damage and can be a little boring to play because of it. I think Pugilist is pretty good, they get a usable combo quickly and you have to move around a bit to get the most out of it.

Arcanist seems to have more potency at very low levels than it used to, with Ruin buffed to 180 and Fester coming at 18. The main drawback is lack of AoE until 35/40. At 50 it's also somewhat annoying because you need to get your dots up to really start unloading and many things die so quick in level 50 content that it doesn't work as well.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I teared up more than a few times during that run up to the end, and had to stop for a bit after the "a smile better suits a hero" scene because god drat. :smith:

can someone remind me which quest this scene/line choice was in? my rot brain is rotten and i can't remember

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kerrzhe posted:

can someone remind me which quest this scene/line choice was in? my rot brain is rotten and i can't remember

Very shortly before Amaurot, when you're talking to Ryne and she's voicing her doubts to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Lady Galaga posted:

I've only been playin FF14 for like a week, boosted a WHM to 70 and skipped the story content to finish Shadowbringers. My first time doing the last dungeon had some whiny bitch DPS call me out for my lovely positioning while I'm trying to keep everybody alive as well as contribute damage cos no way the group had collective DPS to take down the last boss without healer intervention. Most of the time people on Duty Finder are chill but sometimes you get some nutcase who expect people to read up every guide prior to a boss and take things down first try. Apparently making mistakes is detrimental to his fun and enjoyment of the game, so why does he play a MMO that is so dependent on getting the dance perfect every time.

As a WHM main* I've only found it marginally useful to watch guides before non-EX fights. Once you memorize your buttons enough that you're not staring at your hotbar (and also get rid of the 1234567890-= scheme) then you can pretty much yolo anything so long as you don't worry too much about being ~suboptimal~. Dragging the healthbars closer to the center of your screen so you can see everyone's health out of the corner of your eye helps too, but that mostly depends on your eyes/monitor size/where you sit. Also use focus targets on the boss if you're not aware those exist. Grats on picking ~the best healer~

*please ignore the lv70, I've been playing SAM for the past few days

e: This is a "post your loving UIs" bait post because installing windows 10 somehow dicked up my scaling really bad and I haven't gotten anything to look right since

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 10, 2019