Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tae posted:

Silent protagonist is awful, if you're expected to romance

People love Persona :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

Can't wait to play this game in September, after Switch Mini comes out and Heroes has casually spoiled all sorts of plot details

I'm guessing Heroes won't spoil too much by then.
Even Echoes didn't have that much spoiled beyond showing some late game contextless maps and a vague thing about an evil celica in its first few months

the spoilers will be saved for february's fallen heroes, clearly :v:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

rannum posted:

I'm guessing Heroes won't spoil too much by then.
Even Echoes didn't have that much spoiled beyond showing some late game contextless maps and a vague thing about an evil celica in its first few months

the spoilers will be saved for february's fallen heroes, clearly :v:

Will be pulling super hard for screaming murder hobo Dimitri and evil empress Edelgard :getin:

Though really speaking of feh/3H interplay the timeskip really lends itself well to giving feh ready-made legendary heroes or fallen heroes

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 10, 2019

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Does that mean the endgame maps in 3H will be inspired by Abyssal Legendary Hero Battles map design?

Though the current info on 3Hs suggests it will be the return of flyer + cavalry dominance over the foot-locked infantry and armored peasants.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

will Byleth even necessarily be silent? Supports are still a thing

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

This is what it will look like, any questions class

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Carlosologist posted:

will Byleth even necessarily be silent? Supports are still a thing

It's still a pretty big step back from Corrin having an actual speaking role in cutscenes.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Will be pulling super hard for screaming murder hobo Dimitri and evil empress Edelgard :getin:

Though really speaking of feh/3H interplay the timeskip really lends itself well to giving feh ready-made legendary heroes or fallen heroes

Make Claude's barrel a FEH hero

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Here's the Blue Lions video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfeIED_-VHs

I hope the Griffin Rider isnt just a thing for the crest and is the tier 4 classset

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Tbh I'm more then happy for them to back off the playwr character having a big role in the story, robin was okay but Corrin sucked all my excitement for the idea out the window

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Bring back Mark.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
There should be a Fire Emblem where the perspective character is a member of the enemy army or a gang of bandits/pirates for the first 10 chapters before getting recruited to the heroes' side and the actual big conflict going on doesn't matter because the focus of the story is about you trying to fit in with your new friends.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Terper posted:

This is what it will look like, any questions class
I mean this is a dialogue choice, for all we know Byleth could then actually say the line. If nothing else we know they have voice acting for battles and such.

And we never got a shot of Corrin talking before Fates came out, to my knowledge.

I'm not saying with surety that Byleth will be voiced, merely that I'm not entirely convinced they won't be. I rather hope they will, I really dislike silent protagonists not just for themselves but also what they do to all dialogue and interaction involving them, but we'll see.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Dimitri sounds like a dweeb.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't mean silent like silent voice, I mean if byleth's only real interaction is through dialogue boxes, that stinks. A ton of people liked Robin because he/she was an actual character, and a lot of feelings on Corrin is because he/she was an actual character.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

theshim posted:

I mean this is a dialogue choice, for all we know Byleth could then actually say the line. If nothing else we know they have voice acting for battles and such.

And we never got a shot of Corrin talking before Fates came out, to my knowledge.

I'm not saying with surety that Byleth will be voiced, merely that I'm not entirely convinced they won't be. I rather hope they will, I really dislike silent protagonists not just for themselves but also what they do to all dialogue and interaction involving them, but we'll see.

Corrin talking was literally the third dialogue box we ever saw of Fates. And we DO know that Byleth doesn't have a dialogue box after that line, because that is footage from the Treehouse stream, before they started a mission.

If Byleth really, truly had any dialogue box when interacting with others, do you really think we wouldn't have seen it by now? Why would they make Byleth have dialogue ONLY in supports, and nowhere else? I think Occam's razor should apply here.

Terper fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 10, 2019

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbh I'm more then happy for them to back off the playwr character having a big role in the story, robin was okay but Corrin sucked all my excitement for the idea out the window

I mean Byleth will still probably have a big role in the story. They're a silent protagonist but from what we've seen they're gonna be at least as important to the story as Robin.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

we've seen byleth have a dialogue box

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

While interacting with someone else?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

these last few weeks are gonna be real insufferable huh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

While interacting with someone else?

ye

it was just one of the generic teaching scenes but it happened

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean Byleth will still probably have a big role in the story. They're a silent protagonist but from what we've seen they're gonna be at least as important to the story as Robin.

I guess what I mean is not being the central character, like obvs byleth has a story role. I want the story to be more about the three on the box and byleth is just a supporting role

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

mandatory lesbian posted:

I guess what I mean is not being the central character, like obvs byleth has a story role. I want the story to be more about the three on the box and byleth is just a supporting role

Considering the whole 'choose a house' aspect, having the game not focus on the character making the choice would be an odd departure.

Also we know Byleth is having prophetic visions and interacting with a dragon-girl/god so its very unlikely they are a supporting character.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

We're personally killing Edelgard like every other commercial, Byleth arguably already shows more central story importance than Corrin did already

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Look I can dream, I don't need your "facts" and "reality" mucking it all up!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Byleth is a Robin, it's just this time you get to pick which of three Chroms you want.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

Byleth is a Robin, it's just this time you get to pick which of three Chroms you want.

It is more Robin getting to pick between Chrom, Chrom when dealing with Gangrel, and Walhart.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Tae posted:

We're personally killing Edelgard like every other commercial, Byleth arguably already shows more central story importance than Corrin did already

I'm gonna go whatever route allows me to marry the Empress.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Anyway, I choose Golden Deer for my first run because I want to honor the significance of Claude as the first black protagonist of a Nintendo game since Mr. Game & Watch.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Bongo Bill posted:

Anyway, I choose Golden Deer for my first run because I want to honor the significance of Claude as the first black protagonist of a Nintendo game since Mr. Game & Watch.

I assumed he was like, Italian or Spanish or something.

Especially since Claudius is an Italian/Latin name.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Annath posted:

I'm gonna go whatever route allows me to marry the Empress.

This is all just an elaborate game of FMK.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
it would be pretty odd to take away customization while also not giving Byleth a voice. I'm sure they talk but during a lot the school year it would seem weird to give him set dialogue since there's so many variables, it's best to give him a choice with dialogue and maybe give him set dialogue with teachings.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i guarantee the only reason for no customization is that they didnt want to do the 'cutscenes from your pov' thing again

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
you can do their hair color at the very least, though, so even that doesn't really make sense

if you can change the color of a texture you can also do light non-rigging changing model edits too

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

you can do their hair color at the very least, though, so even that doesn't really make sense

if you can change the color of a texture you can also do light non-rigging changing model edits too

I don't think we can do their hair color, though. I think the only variation we've seen is meant to be a story thing

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Maybe it's a deliberate marketing choice, for better recognizability? As in, for any screenshot, no matter who's copy it is, the main character's portrait will always be recognizable by their name and general appearance.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

The only two hair colors they’ve shown off are dark green and light green and it looks like it’s just gonna be a before and after the timeskip deal

e;fb

Scrap Dragon fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 11, 2019

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm watching the trailers and man, I can't really get over the flickering characters in the background. They look terrible.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
How early in the marketing did they announce customization for Corrin? I know that pre-release they set up a webpage where you could see the customization options.

They used the silver-haired default Corrins in all the material, but still made it known and clear that face options were available in-game. If they haven't said anything about customizing Byleth by now, it's not going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The major doubt that you can customize Byleth is that their faces actually show up in cutscenes. Corrin and Robin very deliberately were hidden in cutscenes.