Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm ten minutes into American Assassin and this isn't going anywhere good lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

JBP posted:

I'm ten minutes into American Assassin and this isn't going anywhere good lmao

My foolproof way of determining whether an action movie will be bad is 'how many times are pistol slides racked in the trailer?'

American Assassin features like...twenty slide racks.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Snowman_McK posted:

My foolproof way of determining whether an action movie will be bad is 'how many times are pistol slides racked in the trailer?'

American Assassin features like...twenty slide racks.

The terrorists suddenly murder his fiancee fifteen seconds after he proposes lol

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I wanted to bring to everyone's attention, one of my pleasures - no guilt required.

Shadow Warriors II: Hunt for the Death Merchant.

I'll stop you there, no, I don't believe you need to see the first one to enjoy this fantastic flick. A 90's b-list cast of Hulk Hogan (29 kills), Shannon Tweed, Carl Weathers, Martin Kove (Cobra Kai leader) come together as squad of mercenaries. They attempt a rescue of kidnapped child from an evil European dude, who happens to be the kids father. When the mother can't pay....THEY DO IT FOR FREE! That's the first 30-45 mins of the movie and it has literally nothing to do with what follows.

Flashbacks, PTSD, a madman (also European) hellbent on revenge by-way of chemical warfare, Hogan DUAL WIELDING MACHINE GUNS and mowing down fools, Flyboy action from Kove. It's perfectly straddles that awful-great line so many of us here look for. loving awful acting - just fantastic.

There is a false positive on YouTube, this is NOT the sequel. [Edit - THAT THUMBNAIL!]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqTmDrn19Nk

midge fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 26, 2019

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Joe Taslim from The Raid and The Night Comes for Us has been cast as Sub Zero in the MK movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

Joe Taslim from The Raid and The Night Comes for Us has been cast as Sub Zero in the MK movie.

Uwais for Liu Kang and Ruhian for Shang Tsung

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

:stare: okay that's one way to get me interested in a MK movie in 2019

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Scott Adkins as Johnny Cage please

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Keanu for Raiden? Am I reaching here?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Probably reaching in terms of budget but I think he could do it real well this is good dream casting

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Somebody talk Jason Statham into playing Kano

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
The Rock as Goro I guess idk

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Can we still cast James Marsden as Johnny Cage playing an action star waning in his years?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gejimayu posted:

Can we still cast James Marsden as Johnny Cage playing an action star waning in his years?

The sunglasses jokes write themselves!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

This is the perfect level of budget to have The Miz play Johnny Cage and go full circle.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
What's really important here is this : who's gonna play Sonja?!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Lumbermouth posted:

This is the perfect level of budget to have The Miz play Johnny Cage and go full circle.
Isn't Zack Ryder kind of the perfect guy for that?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FancyMike posted:

Probably reaching in terms of budget but I think he could do it real well this is good dream casting

I kinda feel like the Raid guys don't come that cheap; otherwise you'd be seeing them in a lot more indie/DTV stuff

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also Keanu would be a really weird Raiden.

Keanu as Scorpion would potentially work. Old Keanu's gruff, done-with-everyone's-bullshit vibe would be perfect for the character, they'd just have to make sure his performance doesn't get lost in the makeup/costume/CGI.

e: My real issue with the MK movie is, MK just isn't as filmable as it was in 1995. They've gotten a lot weirder with the setting and characters, and a lot bigger with the story; a simple Enter the Dragon clone is probably all you can really do without it going full-on into absurdity, but then you're ignoring 95% of the franchise.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 10, 2019

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: My real issue with the MK movie is, MK just isn't as filmable as it was in 1995. They've gotten a lot weirder with the setting and characters, and a lot bigger with the story; a simple Enter the Dragon clone is probably all you can really do without it going full-on into absurdity, but then you're ignoring 95% of the franchise.

MK 2011 is a perfect setup for this, it both returns the series to its Enter The Dragon clone roots while setting up all the weird poo poo to come.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Saw Point Blank (2019) on Netflix.

Point Blank sucks. It's barely an action movie, the chase scenes are shot incompetently, and they give Frank Grillo a real jerk of a character and one short hand-to-hand scene. Don't bother.

Edit: clarified which movie I'm talking about, the new Netflix joint, not the incredible Lee Marvin 60s wacked-out masterpiece.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 15, 2019

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Basebf555 posted:

Keanu is Kenshi.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Point Blank sucks. It's barely an action movie, the chase scenes are shot incompetently, and they give Frank Grillo a real jerk of a character and one short hand-to-hand scene. Don't bother.

Edit: clarified which movie I'm talking about, the new Netflix joint, not the incredible Lee Marvin 60s wacked-out masterpiece.

Fun fact, that Lee Marvin movie was the first attempt at adapting Donald Westlake's Parker series (others were Mel Gibson in Payback and Jason Statham in Parker .) It would be interesting to see someone try again because they have never quite got the character right.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fun fact, that Lee Marvin movie was the first attempt at adapting Donald Westlake's Parker series (others were Mel Gibson in Payback and Jason Statham in Parker .) It would be interesting to see someone try again because they have never quite got the character right.

What do they get wrong or right?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It made me kind of sad tbh.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

CelticPredator posted:

It made me kind of sad tbh.

Please elaborate. There's one genuine scene between two brothers in the entire film, I thought that worked pretty well. The rest of the time it's the same old beats, both literally and figuratively.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like Joe Lynch and want his movies to be good and successful.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Same except Joe Dante.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tXQMq967PY

I'm so ready for this. Just inject it into my eyeballs already.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Saw Danger Close: Battle for Long Tan last night.

A Vietnam war movie from the Australian (and New Zealand) perspective. Pretty big budget (for Australia) and quite good overall. Hits all the usual story beats for a war movie, although a lot less talk about 'whats going on back home' and all that. It has a very good first 15 minutes setting the scene and introducing the major players.

Ragnar from Vikings is pretty good in it too. It has a pretty limited release, the two major cinema chains only have two or three screenings per day in only the smaller cinemas. There is no advertising and no posters around. This is mainly showing in independant cinemas.

I feel like it is a movie netflix could pick up and get some decent praise internationally in 4 months time.

As a war movie it is one the most crisp and clear pictures though, no fake film grain or de-saturation (except near the end after an artillery barrage) and the environment looks great. Plenty of action, although a lot of it is just NVA charging or running through trees getting shelled, they could have done something meaningful from their perspective, pretty much the only closeup of the north vietnamese is a sniper scene and two armed women dragging some wounded away from a fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E0J11-rB7Q

I might go take dad to see it if it remains in cinemas for more than a few weeks. He'd enjoy it.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."

MrBling posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tXQMq967PY

I'm so ready for this. Just inject it into my eyeballs already.

I have watched the first 2 episodes and it’s pretty cheesy and the CGI is bad but I’m totally digging the fight scenes. It’s super fun and I like it even with its faults.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

jase1 posted:

I have watched the first 2 episodes and it’s pretty cheesy and the CGI is bad but I’m totally digging the fight scenes. It’s super fun and I like it even with its faults.

Re: Wu Assassins: Yea it's amazing to see a full 10 episode series that seems to really just exist to showcase Iko's skills. That said, it's definitely cheesy(I find it charming), and Iko really doesn't have enough of a handle on the English language and it effects his ability to act the scenes convincingly sometimes. He's doing his best but sometimes I really need the subtitles to understand him and some of the phrases he uses come out unnaturally because he doesn't really have the rhythm of speaking quite down yet. But hopefully this show will have been a great practice ground for him to improve on that and maybe give himself a chance at higher profile movie roles.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 9, 2019

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
So, anyone seen Wu Assassins yet?

Swollen Member
Aug 4, 2019

You know you want it...
I finally caught up with Triple Threat and Avengement. Holy crap, Scott Adkins is on a roll!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Basebf555 posted:

Re: Wu Assassins: Yea it's amazing to see a full 10 episode series that seems to really just exist to showcase Iko's skills. That said, it's definitely cheesy(I find it charming), and Iko really doesn't have enough of a handle on the English language and it effects his ability to act the scenes convincingly sometimes. He's doing his best but sometimes I really need the subtitles to understand him and some of the phrases he uses come out unnaturally because he doesn't really have the rhythm of speaking quite down yet. But hopefully this show will have been a great practice ground for him to improve on that and maybe give himself a chance at higher profile movie roles.

If the fights are good I’m ok with that. Does he fight Mark Dacascos cause would be cool

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

If the fights are good I’m ok with that. Does he fight Mark Dacascos cause would be cool

I'm only 3 episodes into it but the answer is probably no, given the character that Dacascos is playing. You'll see what I mean.

The fights are really good though, up to the level you'd expect from Iko.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Basebf555 posted:

I'm only 3 episodes into it but the answer is probably no, given the character that Dacascos is playing. You'll see what I mean.

The fights are really good though, up to the level you'd expect from Iko.

No I got from the trailer that he’s like, possessed by Dacascos or w/e but that doesn’t rule anything out really

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

No I got from the trailer that he’s like, possessed by Dacascos or w/e but that doesn’t rule anything out really

Yea I can't rule it out but they really do seem to be on the same side so it wouldn't make much sense outside of like a sparring session.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
We watched the first ep of Wu Assassins, and it's bugfuck insane. It's about 8 different shows mashed together. Also, Byron Mann! the return of Ryu from Street Fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

midge posted:

There is a false positive on YouTube, this is NOT the sequel. [Edit - THAT THUMBNAIL!]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqTmDrn19Nk

This movie fuckin' rules hell yeah. :hfive:

I think the reason for the high amount of false positives for it YouTube is the various titles. The preceding one (which in addition to Hulk Hogan and Carl Weathers has TREVOR GODDARD AKA KANO IN IT!!!) was shown on TNT a lot and released on VHS in video stores as Assault on Devil's Island and the latter as Assault on Death Mountain.