Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Msi is a pretty solid choice I thought? My last mobo is an Msi board and it's still running 8 years later and through 10+ moves In a car.

Yeah, I don't have anything against them.
To me, the big surprise is the rise of ASRock - I just remember them being a low-end budget offshoot of ASUS back in the day, a step above ECS, but, well, now they're really churning out some interesting boards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

surf rock posted:

Oh poo poo, DDR4-3600 with CL14.

I'm guessing the 8GB x 4 kit will cost... $400?

edit: So, I know there's been discussion about Zen2 being generally memory-insensitive. I don't really understand how all of the interactions in a computer work. Does the CPU being memory-insensitive mean that all RAM-related operations are affected? I'm guessing so, given that it's the central processing unit, but I guess I'm wondering whether there are any exceptions to that where having super-amazing RAM will result in a noticeable performance boost regardless of the CPU. Or does only RAM quantity work that way, and RAM speed's meaningfulness is totally dependent on the CPU it's hooked up to?

Zen2 is actually proving to be a bit memory agnostic, as even CL14 3600/3733 is showing only marginal improvement, like 5%.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-zen-2-memory-performance-scaling-benchmark/5.html

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Guessing it's all the cache and work on latency hiding.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
5% is not marginal improvement relative to the cost, but also it's worth noting that TPU's testing methodology there is kinda flawed. The timings they're using don't represent realistic average timings that people buying for example 3200mhz ram are going to run, probably because they only used a few higher end modules and turned down clocks for the lower settings. That will usually enable you to get tighter timings, mitigating some of the losses.

I maintain that anyone building a Ryzen 3000 system and not buying 3600mhz ram is being foolish, unless perhaps they're doing a very budget constrained 3600 build or are building a 3900X workstation that they know will never be memory bandwidth constrained or something.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Phoronix's memory benchmarking under Linux
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-3900x-ram&num=1

Interestingly the top rating memory is good on everything except a specific Apache test when it shits the bed.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 10, 2019

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Crunchy Black posted:

I've always been wary of MSI for some probably dumb internalized reason. Are there any good ASRock boards? I'd honestly be okay going 570 if I could stick with a 'rock.

In my opinion the ASRock X570 Taichi is the best mid tier motherboard in the X570 lineup (in terms of features). It has everything the 330 to 400 dollar X570s have at 289.99 on Newegg.

If you're looking at the sub 200 ones, I'm not sure.

Burno fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 10, 2019

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Pablo Bluth posted:

Interestingly the top rating memory is good on everything except a specific Apache test when it suits the bed.

That result isn't surprising. It's because going past 3733 halves the Infinity Fabric clock, which is obvious causing a pretty severe constraint of some sort in that particular test. It could be something like a lot of cross-chiplet cache hits that get murdered by the slower IF clock or something along those lines.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 10, 2019

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Pablo Bluth posted:

Interestingly the top rating memory is good on everything except a specific Apache test when it shits the bed.

Why the hell didn't they run it at 3733 if that's the maximum memory clock before the IF divider kicks in?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Pablo Bluth posted:

God that memory is FUGLY.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

K8.0 posted:

5% is not marginal improvement relative to the cost, but also it's worth noting that TPU's testing methodology there is kinda flawed. The timings they're using don't represent realistic average timings that people buying for example 3200mhz ram are going to run

That and their 100% baseline is some dogshit 2400mhz ram. The difference between 3000-16 and 3600 is about 2%. Expensive ram really doesn't seem worth it.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Burno posted:

In my opinion the ASRock X570 Taichi is the best mid tier motherboard in the X570 lineup (in terms of features). It has everything the 330 to 400 dollar X570s have at 289.99 on Newegg.

Oh, interesting! What makes you prefer it to the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi? I've been looking at that for $30 cheaper (or the ASUS ROG Strix X570-E for $30 more because of the 2.5GB port) instead.

edit: I've also been looking at the MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon WIFI for about the same price as the Gigabyte, but those seem indistinguishable to me.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 10, 2019

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Inept posted:

That and their 100% baseline is some dogshit 2400mhz ram. The difference between 3000-16 and 3600 is about 2%. Expensive ram really doesn't seem worth it.

The benchmarks they are running are for the most part optimally threaded and don't need to do any coordination between cores or CCX's. Real-world applications are going to be a lot more messy and require coordination between threads/cores which is where the increased memory clock and its higher IF frequency/reduced latency are going to matter. I wouldn't come to any conclusions until you've seen benchmarks on the things you actually care about.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Why the hell didn't they run it at 3733 if that's the maximum memory clock before the IF divider kicks in?

Because it's phoronix

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Burno posted:

I've had an extreme 4 and an extreme 6 on my 2500k and my Skylake and they've been absolutely solid boards. So that's what I'm thinking of going with again.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Burno posted:

The Taichis are legitimately good, both X470 and X570. I just can't get over how fugly the mobo design looks to me.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

surf rock posted:

Oh poo poo, DDR4-3600 with CL14.

I'm guessing the 8GB x 4 kit will cost... $400?

edit: So, I know there's been discussion about Zen2 being generally memory-insensitive. I don't really understand how all of the interactions in a computer work. Does the CPU being memory-insensitive mean that all RAM-related operations are affected? I'm guessing so, given that it's the central processing unit, but I guess I'm wondering whether there are any exceptions to that where having super-amazing RAM will result in a noticeable performance boost regardless of the CPU. Or does only RAM quantity work that way, and RAM speed's meaningfulness is totally dependent on the CPU it's hooked up to?

RAM sensitive workloads will still be so. The fear was that, since IF performance is tied to RAM speed, Zen2 would be hamstrung when paired with slow ram. This appears not to be the case but I'd like to see more testing done. If your specific task is hammering RAM it'll do better with better RAM as it would in any system.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What is the warranty on the ASRock boards? On my phone at the moment and having a hard time locating it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Zotix posted:

What is the warranty on the ASRock boards? On my phone at the moment and having a hard time locating it.

Looks like 1 year in the US.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I'd like it if more than a single (and pretty expensive) ITX board were available.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Crunchy Black posted:

I've had an extreme 4 and an extreme 6 on my 2500k and my Skylake and they've been absolutely solid boards. So that's what I'm thinking of going with again.

I've done 3 budget builds for friends in the last few years. All with ASRock and I have been impressed with the quality of their boards

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

3700x ordered!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
This was the cheapest MSI 570 board I could find, it arrives today along with a 3700X so I'm hoping it can get the job done. Really wasn't that interested on dropping $300+ on a mobo, particularly when it doesn't need to look fancy or be fancy since it's just going to upgrade my home game server.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Where are they back in stock?

Edit: THe only thing I see is Amazon, and its from that reseller that people said was a scam

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 10, 2019

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'm really getting pissed at AMD. This is the third full business day since my card has been charged for a 3900x and no notification on shipping in sight. The chip was advertised as in stock. Not back order.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Where are they back in stock?

Available on Amazon. It's not prime but it's free shipping at the regular MSRP through an authorized AMD Reseller.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sydin posted:

Available on Amazon. It's not prime but it's free shipping at the regular MSRP through an authorized AMD Reseller.

Sorry, I just edited my post. Isn't that the store that people said not to buy from?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ah, maybe? I only skimmed the last few pages. In the reviews for the reseller there are a few people claiming they're being weird about tracking info/shipping date accuracy.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Yeah, somebody just made a store called "AMD Authorized Reseller." It's not legit.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

What are you talking about? This seems extremely legit. Your #1 source of AMD processors and knives.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

What are you talking about? This seems extremely legit. Your #1 source of AMD processors and knives.

Maybe repurposing old Piledriver CPUs into hotplates helped break them into the culinary market?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The x570 taichi looks like a very solid board. What exactly is the difference between t topology vs daisy chain? The taichi uses t topology according to this spreadsheet that has been floating around for a week.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zotix posted:

The x570 taichi looks like a very solid board. What exactly is the difference between t topology vs daisy chain? The taichi uses t topology according to this spreadsheet that has been floating around for a week.

smaller penalty for using 4 sticks than daisychain but bigger penalty for using 2 sticks

(in terms of the maximum stable memory clockrate/timings you can achieve)

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

surf rock posted:

Oh, interesting! What makes you prefer it to the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi? I've been looking at that for $30 cheaper (or the ASUS ROG Strix X570-E for $30 more because of the 2.5GB port) instead.

edit: I've also been looking at the MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon WIFI for about the same price as the Gigabyte, but those seem indistinguishable to me.

Mainly it has 3 x M.2 slots, you don't get that on other brands until you get into the 330-400 dollar range. Everything else is similar.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

DoLittle posted:

You can just install OpenFOAM and run the motorbike tutorial: https://openfoam.org/download/

It took me a while to get to this, but lack of availability on 3900Xs gave me the breathing room to take care of it.

I'm seeing a tiny regression (edit: about 4.2%) at 16 threads for the 2700, and no such regression at 12 threads for the 1600. I wonder if it's cache-related. Rosetta (the molecular dynamics package) wants 4MB of L3 per process, so runtimes double-to-triple as soon as you oversubscribe it; it'll be interesting to see if this is a similar (though nowhere near so dire) effect.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 10, 2019

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Burno posted:

Mainly it has 3 x M.2 slots, you don't get that on other brands until you get into the 330-400 dollar range. Everything else is similar.

Got it, thank you. The only use case for M.2 slots that I'm familiar with is SSDs; are there others?

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
I bought a 3700x and it shipped already from that knife seller, don't anticipate any issues that can't be resolved by Amazon or a charge back in the worst case scenario. Not sure how exactly it's a scam unless they shipped me something that isn't a 3700x which seems easy to dispute. More reviews are coming in saying they have received correct Ryzen 3 series products, definitely a strange rebrand of a store though :v:

For anyone concerned it looks like some mods on r/amd have verified the seller is legit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbhydq/3800x_listed_on_amazon_us/etfksyd/

Scorps fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 10, 2019

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

surf rock posted:

Got it, thank you. The only use case for M.2 slots that I'm familiar with is SSDs; are there others?

It's a general purpose expansion slot and there are variants for wireless cards and other components, but the ones found on consumer motherboards are generally keyed to only accept SSDs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I got my motherboard today. The BIOS version listed on the sticker on the board is the second of four updates that say "Update AGESA for the upcoming processors" so I assume this means I can boot my 3600 coming tomorrow and then update to the latest BIOS.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

Also the scythe mugen 5 rev. b that gets mentioned 5 times per page ITT is not available here at all, just to save y'all some effort.

I picked up one off Amazon AU a week ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Gonna be laughing at the people in a few days going “Holy poo poo 24 threads!” While I sit smugly with 48. :smug: