Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Star Man posted:

That thing looks uncomfortable to hold.

it looks like a smaller, lighter switch with a dpad ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Lazy_Liberal posted:

I mean, usually people recommend getting the Satisfye grip right out of the gate to new Switch owners, because the original Switch is also uncomfortable.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pokemon Black report: what the gently caress did this just turn into Final Fantasy.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Lazy_Liberal posted:

It looks like a device I'd have to hold awkwardly because part of my hand would be resting on the right analog stick otherwise.

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.

MikeJF posted:

Pokemon Black report: what the gently caress did this just turn into Final Fantasy.

Right after the flying gym, iirc. Still fun tho.

Oh what. Not when. Yeah, kinda. If you get a lvl 100 mon before gym 7 you can revive general Leo.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Takoluka posted:

I mean, usually people recommend getting the Satisfye grip right out of the gate to new Switch owners, because the original Switch is also uncomfortable.

oh dang i've never heard of that! i should have assumed there'd be different grips and stuff. i played Pokemon using the pokeball plus for three months so i'm probably a terrible critic.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
When I finally get around to getting a Switch, I will have to have the pro controller because the options it comes with kills my hands.

God drat I wish every controller was just the Dual Shock.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
The WiiU pro controller is the platonic ideal of controllers. Works on Switch with a $15 dongle from Amazon.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nanigans posted:

The WiiU pro controller is the platonic ideal of controllers. Works on Switch with a $15 dongle from Amazon.

Is there a recommended adapter for the Wii U pro controller specifically?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

Is there a recommended adapter for the Wii U pro controller specifically?

A friend of mine uses the 8bitdo adapter with the Wii U pro controller and it works wonders.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Detective No. 27 posted:

A friend of mine uses the 8bitdo adapter with the Wii U pro controller and it works wonders.

Yup. That’s the one.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Lazy_Liberal posted:

oh dang i've never heard of that! i should have assumed there'd be different grips and stuff. i played Pokemon using the pokeball plus for three months so i'm probably a terrible critic.

I love the Plus, and I look forward to keeping Wooloo in it when Eevee becomes a demigod.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i don't envy graphic designers who need to make functional and aesthetically pleasing game UIs that work well on both modern large HDTVs and a screen smaller than some phones

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Countblanc posted:

i don't envy graphic designers who need to make functional and aesthetically pleasing game UIs that work well on both modern large HDTVs and a screen smaller than some phones

...What phones are larger than the Switch?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ometeotl posted:

...What phones are larger than the Switch?

the switch lite's screen is 5.5", there are many phones with screens larger than that

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Star Man posted:

When I finally get around to getting a Switch, I will have to have the pro controller because the options it comes with kills my hands.

God drat I wish every controller was just the Dual Shock.
I don't, those screwholes on the back were murder on my fingers.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Paul.Power posted:

I don't, those screwholes on the back were murder on my fingers.

This is a joke, right?

I'm looking at my PSX Dual Shock and holding it and I can't think of how that would bother you unless you're an octopus or digging your fingers into the screw holes on purpose.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I was wondering where this got to!

I had been searching frantically for it, worrying that I'd accidentally dropped it in the recycling somehow or a very specific burglar had stolen it (to be fair they could get like $200 for it on ebay). Turns out I put it in one of my book storage boxes for safekeeping and discovered it while trying to find Soulcalibur V.

My brother's one, which I now have custody of, is in rattier condition as it took no less than two dives off the roof of a van and also he kept the batteries in unattended for too long over the decades and they leaked in there and hosed the battery compartment up a little. It still works though as does his copy of Blue.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Alloran posted:

Right after the flying gym, iirc. Still fun tho.

Oh what. Not when. Yeah, kinda. If you get a lvl 100 mon before gym 7 you can revive general Leo.

Fwiw a goon proved you can do an esoteric set of tasks in FF6 to no-poo poo revive General Leo without codes etc. but nobody on the playground had it anywhere close to being right

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Star Man posted:

This is a joke, right?

I'm looking at my PSX Dual Shock and holding it and I can't think of how that would bother you unless you're an octopus or digging your fingers into the screw holes on purpose.
Mostly they were digging into the sides of my index fingers as I held the controller up with them.

I appreciate that I probably should have had my index fingers up on the shoulder buttons, but I guess I didn't play that many games that used them. The PSone and the GBA were pretty much my first consoles with shoulder buttons, since I had a Mega Drive rather than a SNES.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 11, 2019

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

I'm so glad Ponyta got dropped down a well so we could have improved graphics and animations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I hated that godawful animation so hard in SM. Of course it's back.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
the animation is the same, but Hop's model does look pretty nice

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Chronojam posted:

Fwiw a goon proved you can do an esoteric set of tasks in FF6 to no-poo poo revive General Leo without codes etc. but nobody on the playground had it anywhere close to being right

Wait, really? What do you have to do?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Wait, really? What do you have to do?

Not legit, it’s just glitches.

https://kotaku.com/how-to-break-final-fantasy-vi-5924518

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 11, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I guess a Chinese company is also making a mobile game? It's weird though, I can barely find any info about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KDEmTUOsbA

EDIT: I'm being told this is a bootleg? Why would a company put so much effort into something that'll get crushed by Nintendo eventually?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 11, 2019

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Blaziken386 posted:

the animation is the same, but Hop's model does look pretty nice

nice enough to shoot Pancham between the eyes

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

RatHat posted:

Why would a company put so much effort into something that'll get crushed by Nintendo eventually?

it won't, it's China

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

less laughter posted:

it won't, it's China

I don't understand how such blatant copyright theft would happen anywhere, let alone China.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
read up on China

it's also part of what the current US-China trade war is about

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

RatHat posted:

I guess a Chinese company is also making a mobile game? It's weird though, I can barely find any info about it.

EDIT: I'm being told this is a bootleg? Why would a company put so much effort into something that'll get crushed by Nintendo eventually?

Bootleg or not, I'm surprised to see Solgaleo there. Usually these sorts of games will only cover the earlier generations.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

serefin99 posted:

Bootleg or not, I'm surprised to see Solgaleo there. Usually these sorts of games will only cover the earlier generations.

If I recall, Gen 7 was the first set of games to be released officially in Chinese.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Are they just squished into their Pokeballs all the time? My child is worried about capturing the ones she likes.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

RatHat posted:

I skipped around and I really like that Sceptile in the background trying to get a soda and beating up the vending machine a bit. Looks fun, dynamic and fluid. Must've made them cut a hundred or two hundred pokemon.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

oddium posted:

elekid liked his shiny so much he swapped normal/shiny pallets

Paras, Farfetch'd, Smeargle, and a few others did this too! Most are fairly tame like Paras's reddish-orange and orangeish-red to orangeish-red and reddish-orange switches but Smeargle switches from pink normal tail and green shiny tail to green normal tail and pink shiny tail. I like to think Ilima's palette is based off shiny Smeargle (G2 regular Smeargle).

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 11, 2019

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Ariza posted:

Are they just squished into their Pokeballs all the time? My child is worried about capturing the ones she likes.

https://youtu.be/5VfqpqXuvPg

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ariza posted:

https://kotaku.com/what-its-like-inside-a-pokeball-according-to-a-pokemon-1788004256

Masuda posted:

I think it’s safe to say that it’s very comfortable inside inside of a Pokeball, it’s a very comfortable environment. Maybe the equivalent of a high-end suite room in a fancy hotel.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Ariza posted:

Have her teach her good doggos Return so she can directly see how much they love their life with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Another interview with Masuda from 2016: https://www.gameinformer.com/index.php/b/features/archive/2016/07/13/pok-233-mon-39-s-burning-questions.aspx

In addition to a similar answer about Poke Balls, there's some other interesting stuff about the Pokemon setting.

quote:

There is a rumor that in the original Pokémon games, versions Red and Blue, that the Pokémon Ditto was a failed attempt at cloning a Mew. I was wondering if you could speak to this, to whether or not it’s true.

Masuda: That’s the first time I have ever hear that rumor actually.

A lot of Masuda's answers are question dodges, though, and some don't actually fit the games very well.

quote:

So, there isn’t war in the world of Pokémon where armies of Pokémon are fighting for the ideals of their leaders?

Masuda: Long ago, there may have been wars. Actually, if you look at one of the movies featuring the character Lucario, there are maybe some hints about the past of the Pokémon world.

The interview came out before XY, so Masuda is probably trying to foreshadow the AZ subplot, but his answer implies that there hasn't been a war in the Pokemon world within the lifetimes of non-AZ humans. Masuda has apparently forgotten about Lt. Surge.

Edit: His partial dodge of the "what do they eat" question gives me an opportunity to bring up my pet theory that the Pokemon world has vat-grown meat, allowing us to further speculate without guilt about which Pokemon taste the most delicious.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 11, 2019