Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

When I got my license in the '90s in PA, I had ZERO formal education. None. It wasn't required.

I took a written exam to get my permit a few months before my 16th birthday and from there on out it was just my parents teaching me. I, as a 15 year old, was allowed on public roads with only my parent in the passenger seat in whatever car they happened to have, whenever my parents decided I was 'good enough' to go out on public roads.

The day after my 16th birthday, I took the driving exam at the DMV and from there on out I was allowed to go out on my own without a single second of professional driving instruction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's still not required. At least in NY. You just need to take the test.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Haven't they pretty much stopped teaching "Driver's Ed" in high schools now too? Not that it's a huge loss, as all it consisted of when I took it was watching drunk driving scare videos.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I didn't even have Driver's Ed in high school 25 years ago.

I mean, they offered it, after school hours, but it was something totally optional to take and I think it cost money. Some insurance's gave discounts for it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bull3964 posted:

I didn't even have Driver's Ed in high school 25 years ago.

I mean, they offered it, after school hours, but it was something totally optional to take and I think it cost money. Some insurance's gave discounts for it.

If you wanted to get your license before 18 in my state, you had to take driver's ed. Our school offered it as a class for credit. It cost a bit of money - I think ~300 bucks? That also gave us I think 6 total hours in car with an instructor.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My dad brought home Smith System tapes from work when I was a kid. I think they were actually really helpful.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Haven't they pretty much stopped teaching "Driver's Ed" in high schools now too? Not that it's a huge loss, as all it consisted of when I took it was watching drunk driving scare videos.

They have drivers ed and they teach kids to hold the wheel at 4 and 8. https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/11/beyond-drivers-ed-how-this-class-teaches-teens-to-drive-better-safer/

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I got in right before they started doing graduated licensing. FYGM.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

The Prong Song posted:

I mean you just plop that statement down, in the middle of this thread, as though the same thing isn't true of driving cars; or that the standards for licencing car drivers is higher than the standards for licencing motorcycle drivers.

Most teen drivers' education programs in the US (that I've read about or been told about) are mostly classroom. Practical training is limited to simple drive-about-town road excursions, with no experience in recovering from a skid, emergency breaking, accident avoidance training, etc.

They're not drivers' education. They're education about road laws.

So, what's the difference between car licence and motorcycle license? Traffic law portion is covered by the written test, practical test is covered by the as-basic-as-cars-test practical portion which is covered after the permit portion (to gain experience, as driving permits/graduated licences are for novice drivers).

Motorcycle licencing standards in the US are perfectly in line with "normal" vehicle licencing standards.

But it's not the same, at least in Massachusetts. With a car, the written test gets you a permit that let's you drive with another person over 21, you can't legally drive by yourself.

You go take the written test for a motorcycle permit, there are essentially no restrictions. You can take your permit test then legally go buy a 1000cc Superbike, never having sat on one before. I would say those are vastly different.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

I....this can't be real. 4 and 8? I mean don't get me wrong sometimes I'm a bad driver and basically do that since it's easier to do while being lazy (i.e. have your arms resting on the armrests), and sometimes I just use a finger or two since I'll let lane assist do the majority of the work, but that's basically on highways in slow traffic - for actual driving I stick to 10 and 2 like I was taught (although apparently 9 and 3 is considered better?)

How the gently caress do you turn the wheel quickly if your hands are at 4 and 8? Who decided this was a good change in the already severely limited drivers' ed America has?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
4 and 8 is what you are supposed to do. you don’t need to exert as much force with modern power steering, and it significantly reduces the chance that you break your arm or have your arm break your face in a collision where the air bag deploys. You can still turn the wheel quickly from 4 and 8.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

With as light as modern steering electric racks are you can probably just drive with your nose.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Russian Bear posted:

With as light as modern steering electric racks are you can probably just drive with your nose.

I wouldnt want to be doing that when the airbag goes off!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Super Soaker Party! posted:

for actual driving I stick to 10 and 2 like I was taught (although apparently 9 and 3 is considered better?)

10 and 2 is a bad idea because of airbags, you should absolutely be using 9 and 3.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Edit : I'm probably wrong

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 11, 2019

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I drive with my penis at 12.

:smug:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
8 and 4 feels so wrong.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I drive with my penis at 12.

:smug:

why is your steering wheel on upside down?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Proper driving requires one hand at anywhere from 9 to 3 damnit unless you need two hands to do something then a knee.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

4 and 8 is what you are supposed to do. you don’t need to exert as much force with modern power steering, and it significantly reduces the chance that you break your arm or have your arm break your face in a collision where the air bag deploys. You can still turn the wheel quickly from 4 and 8.

No 4 and 8 is stupid. You’re only fractionally more likely to injure your hands at 9 and 3 if the airbag deploys but you’re much less likely for that to happen because you can actually control the car properly.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

10 and 2 always seemed really stupid to me because if you have to swerve hard you have to reposition your hands quickly (at least at lower/medium speeds) and I have had to swerve around a lot of moose in my day. It's way easier to swerve quickly with hands lower on the wheel.

Still never been in a car crash but have gotten pretty good at swerving!

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 11, 2019

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

L Hand at 1, R hand on coffee cup or shifter.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Right arm shifting or on the steering wheel, bluetooth frees up the left, hang that poo poo out the window, use either or both hand(s) to occasionally pluck the ciggy out of your mouth or light a fresh one up, maybe touch the steering wheel with one if required turning degrees exceeds that achievable with the knee.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
both hands on phone, knee at 5 pm, blazed out of my goddamned mind

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Elviscat posted:

Right arm shifting or on the steering wheel, bluetooth frees up the left, hang that poo poo out the window, use either or both hand(s) to occasionally pluck the ciggy out of your mouth or light a fresh one up, maybe touch the steering wheel with one if required turning degrees exceeds that achievable with the knee.

Yeah i'm going to amend to say L hand at 9 with elbow out the window, but only if your car is old enough for a proper low beltline.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

George Carlin did a bit about driving @ 8 and 4.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah i'm going to amend to say L hand at 9 with elbow out the window, but only if your car is old enough for a proper low beltline.

I make my beltline real low by undoing my pants and then driving with my right hand down them. 9 and penis everybody.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

As a Dr Pepper fan, I drive with my hands at 10, 2, and 4.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Q_res posted:

10 and 2 is a bad idea because of airbags, you should absolutely be using 9 and 3.

So if my car doesn't have airbags I should drive with my hands at 10 and 2, but if it does, it's 9 and 3?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
At a certain speed, you'll wreck if you turn the wheel sharply more than is possible with one hand on the wheel anyway, so most of the time I don't think it's necessary to have two hands on the wheel. You have time to move your second hand from the shifter or whatever if you need that extra range, provided it's not doing something like holding a hot beverage or jerking your dick.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I barely hook the wheel with one thumb and my hand on my lap.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

All these plebs with analogue steering wheels. Why even live without a digital steering wheel? :smug:

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I find it hard to have two hands on the steering wheel while putting product in my hair in the mornings. So I just go with one hand at 12:00.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

PT6A posted:

At a certain speed, you'll wreck if you turn the wheel sharply more than is possible with one hand on the wheel anyway, so most of the time I don't think it's necessary to have two hands on the wheel. You have time to move your second hand from the shifter or whatever if you need that extra range, provided it's not doing something like holding a hot beverage or jerking your dick.

That said, two hands gives you neutral balance on the wheel which makes it less likely to accidentally provide too much input since you can provide counter resistance.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 11, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Relatedly in car saftey chat, are there any tests or..."case studies" of a 2015+ Honda fit getting hit by a modern (huge) full size truck like a F-150. The Fit has excellent safety ratings in it's class, even in the stricter NCAP testing done in the EU, but the arms race of vehicle size and weight here in the U.S. is, well, discouraging.

I've tried looking into it but all I can find are general articles on "yeah small cars are safer than every but bigger is still better". I wanna see 2010+ truck tbone a fit.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Safety also includes handling and braking and avoidance in addition to being TBoned by a F-350

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
gently caress, a F-350? The arms race is even happening in these posts.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

gently caress, a F-350? The arms race is even happening in these posts.

Give it a couple years. My cousin will start insisting she needs to buy an Abrams tank to drive her kid to lacrosse.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

F-350 (and other super duties) is the base model out here . No one drives a f-150 any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The year is 2029, the United States Of America

dehumanize yourself and face to Bigass Fuckin Truck