Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The funniest part to me, honestly, is that Amazon thinks starting development on an MMORPG is a good idea in the current market.

And after they just laid off a bunch of people. I want to remind everyone that Amazon Game Studios is headed by the original founder/creator of Everquest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Nyast posted:

Come on now, you know the same logic applies to other games too. Not all locations look that good in Deus Ex. That's why I was saying the comparison isn't fair. You can't take one of the best looking areas in a game and compare it to a bad one in Star Citizen and draw the conclusion that all of SC is crap and all of Deus Ex is good.

I've seen areas in Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare that looked from 2003. The same can be done in any other game, including Deus Ex. I'm sure there will be tons of crappy looking places in Cyberpunk 2077 too. Anybody willing to bet with me that once CP2077 is out we could find areas that look as bad as this Star Citizen shop ?

I agree with you for the most part- visual appeal is really the only area where Star Citizen can even remotely come close to modern day competitors. I'm particularly impressed by the two planets- they have a lot of really interesting touches that make them tremendous background generators when viewed from the air or on foot. There are elements, particularly some of the ships, that are really uninspired- I hate the luxury yacht and car dealership aesthetic- but the spacey space locations are often top notch.

The main problem I have with it is that it looks bad in motion. Animations are broken all over the place, models are rigged for the wrong-size items, often the animated portion of stuff like ships will simply fail to render or react to lighting appropriately. It makes for decent screenshots but absolutely terrible game visuals. There's also the incredibly sluggish, rigid, near-uncontrollable player avatar, which seriously downgrades the entire experience. When sidestepping to get that perfect view causes your whole screen to shake and your character to lurch it gets very hard to give a poo poo about good textures or whatever.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1148996139821273093

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

What really blows me away is how garbo the ships often are, visually. Bad textures, missing animations, broken doors/elevators, whole components like landing gear that just stay attached even when their wing element has been blown off, broken HUDs, broken/deadly ladders and ramps, the list goes on and on. On top of that a lot of the actual designs are straight-up ripped off from better scifi properties or military vehicles.

Given that these are the multi-hundred-dollar "Collectible" centerpieces of the entire game, you'd think they would put more time into them. It is absolutely baffling to me how lazy they get, especially with the really big ships. There's so many things that they clearly just slapped into a "Good enough" state and then rushed out the door, it's unreal.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The pilot's seat of this ship that costs 700 dollars is broken

https://clips.twitch.tv/SmellyDeafMagpieTinyFace

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Well, that's that hosed then.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wonder if New World is ever going to actually come out. Amazon Game Studio has been a trash fire so far.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I wonder if New World is ever going to actually come out. Amazon Game Studio has been a trash fire so far.

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/991663064679419904

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 10, 2019

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nyast posted:

(...) But if we're comparing with massive multiplayer, open-world games, that have to handle a large amount of locations (...)

Yeah, but Star Citizen... isn't that, right? Or at least not yet. And maybe that's the reason why it's not becoming that - because open world MMOs focus on gameplay and variety of locations and game loops, not on fidelity.

SC is a single player asset game that tries and fails to become open-world MMO.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Hopefully this embeds with the right timestamp, this was legit the funniest thing I ever saw in SC, I had tears in my eyes when this randomly happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGfQvQai_fc&t=265s

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

peter gabriel posted:

Hopefully this embeds with the right timestamp, this was legit the funniest thing I ever saw in SC, I had tears in my eyes when this randomly happened:

Very nice. Funniest thing I ever saw was a citizen trying to get out of a Caterpillar which he'd managed to flip upside down on Daymar or Delamar - whichever the red dusty Archer'd Mars one is. He was running around upside down in the superstructure, until he got to a point where he crossed a magic barrier, and flipped/rubber banded to right side up. Not satisfied with this, he crossed the magic barrier again and lo! was upside down again, in his upside down monster of a spaceship.

No word of a lie, this went on for about 10 minutes while I stood and admired, until he finally managed to rubber band clear out of his chariot - he wheeeeeee'd across the sky and disappeared into space heaven.

It was one of the greatest gaming moments I've ever had, and I shall be forever indebted to CIG shonky physics implementation for it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Oh poo poo that reminds me, no the funniest thing I saw was the commando who could not get out of his mustang, and I sat inside with him and filmed it all, in the end he logged out and at that point I realised, I was now trapped.
He even flipped it over to try, but nope :lol:

Edit: It's in this, starts at about 3.02
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Jw7Kx80f4

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 10, 2019

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

peter gabriel posted:

Oh poo poo that reminds me, no the funniest thing I saw was the commando who could not get out of his mustang, and I sat inside with him and filmed it all, in the end he logged out and at that point I realised, I was now trapped.
He even flipped it over to try, but nope :lol:

Edit: It's in this, starts at about 3.02
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Jw7Kx80f4

Get thee behind me Satan, this sort of random bollocks is sorely tempting me to download Star Citizen again just for the fun of it.

However, the saner part of my brain is ringing alarm bells and reminding me that it's really no fun at all - for these precious moments, you have to slog through literally hours of anti-fun tedium seemingly designed to suck all the "game" out of what little of a "game" there is here.

So I'll pass my forty days in the desert test and emerge a stronger, more resolute goon. Thanks friend.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have had a chance to play New World myself, but this was early 2018. The game was still very early in development and not really playable yet.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
The game is dead. It's gone back into closed Alpha testing.

I suspect many assets will be re-skinned for the LOTR MMO.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
And the sharks continue to circle around the whales...

https://jrfabrication.co.uk/presale-products/1100-anvil-aerospace-arrow-model-kit-pre-order

£110 of your UK pounds for

quote:

54-piece 3D printed SLA resin kit model supplied on printing supports, intended for experienced model builders. Support scaffolding removal and surface finishing is required for construction and best painting results. Model supplied unpainted

One thing I will give Crobbers credit for - he's keeping small businesses going in tough times. If anyone's got a 3D printer here and the ability to fulfil online orders, fill your boots basically.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Get thee behind me Satan, this sort of random bollocks is sorely tempting me to download Star Citizen again just for the fun of it.

However, the saner part of my brain is ringing alarm bells and reminding me that it's really no fun at all - for these precious moments, you have to slog through literally hours of anti-fun tedium seemingly designed to suck all the "game" out of what little of a "game" there is here.

So I'll pass my forty days in the desert test and emerge a stronger, more resolute goon. Thanks friend.

Yeah don't play it, nooooooo.
The thing is, the game is worse now than ever before, and I mean that.
In the old days the fun was in the bugs, the non existent gameplay mechanics, the stupidity of others - it was fun when it was hosed.
Now they have systematically sapped that fun away, you get punished for having a ship blow up, all ships are locked, the game does run better and is more stable but that just highlights how mind blowingly dull it all is.
I am going to go to the places I haven;t been to yet, like that shithole with a train etc but I am not expecting nay fun, that ship sailed long ago I fear.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Wait, so who is Lethality? (Not IRL)

I'd just assumed he was one of the random SC weirdos/closet nazis that have flocked to this project, but these guys know him/her from other games?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I'd just assumed he was one of the random SC weirdos/closet nazis that have flocked to this project, but these guys know him/her from other games?

Journal of Marketing Research: Harbingers of Failure

Abstract posted:

The authors identify customers, termed “Harbingers of failure,” who systematically purchase new products that flop. Their early adoption of a new product is a strong signal that a product will fail—the more they buy, the less likely the product will succeed. Firms can identify these customers through past purchases of either new products that failed or existing products that few other customers purchase. The authors discuss how these insights can be readily incorporated into the new product development process. The findings challenge the conventional wisdom that positive customer feedback is always a signal of future success.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

peter gabriel posted:

Further evidence for the theory that they're going backwards

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

peter gabriel posted:

I am going to go to the places I haven;t been to yet, like that shithole with a train etc but I am not expecting nay fun, that ship sailed long ago I fear.

Loreville on Hurston has a shitload of great NPC bugs right now. It's pretty amazing how it barely chokes along. Area 18 on ArcCorp has a lot of terrain and environment glitches.

Both are an enormous pain in the rear end to land at with the hover mode.

I can't really recommend any of the moons, they are extremely empty.

For good space glitching, check your mission board- if you see like 10 bounty missions for the same place, chances are you will find an absolute clusterfuck of NPC ships spawned in and all just kind of schooling around like fish, that can generate some fun. It is possible to just fly over, open the doors and steal NPC ships, if you can find one sitting still, but there's about a thousand bugs associated with that whole process and I've never managed to get away with one.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Viscous Soda posted:

It always bugs me how in the Star Citizen "universe" everything revolves around space and spaceships. Every in game ad is for spaceships, every T-shirt references space, even the headless hotdog man's stall last page sells "Space bud". Then even the few things that don't reference space have to be in "grittily spacy" environments.

It's all just so boringly single tone. It's like Star Citizen was designed by the Space Core or something.

And everything is about buying and selling. When I was out today, I saw billboards and subway ads for stuff you can buy, sure, but I also saw ads for arts organizations, schools of all kinds, non-profits, public service announcements, even a public art project. The Store Citizer environment is papered entirely by commerce.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/robertsspaceind/status/1149077141604073473
https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/1149000599960084480

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah don't play it, nooooooo.
In the old days the fun was in the bugs, the non existent gameplay mechanics, the stupidity of others - it was fun when it was hosed.
Now they have systematically sapped that fun away, you get punished for having a ship blow up, all ships are locked, the game does run better and is more stable but that just highlights how mind blowingly dull it all is.

You need to be more positive.

Next time you are editing your config file, change Game_is_Good from 0 to 1.

Fun times to you commanndeo o1

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

AlbieQuirky posted:

And everything is about buying and selling. When I was out today, I saw billboards and subway ads for stuff you can buy, sure, but I also saw ads for arts organizations, schools of all kinds, non-profits, public service announcements, even a public art project. The Store Citizer environment is papered entirely by commerce.

So what you are saying is you would like to see CIG start selling a school bus ship. Good idea, Chris will be pleased.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

peter gabriel posted:

Your best ever video :v:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nyast posted:

But if we're comparing with massive multiplayer, open-world games

why? aren't we talking about SC?

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Lladre posted:

I don't see any difference between the two screen caps.

Seriously though, Mankind was a lovely game in the sense you think you are fighting a mini boss then credits start rolling.

MD was super cheap a week or so ago so I picked it up and just beat it last night. It was a lot of fun but that "end boss" was really underwhelming. Find security terminals, turn on friendly fire, wait for him to die.

peter gabriel posted:

ComfyPants fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 11, 2019

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

He's notorious on MMO-related forums and websites for being a harbinger of failure. Every game he loves fails. He likes to style himself as an influencer when all his influence is negative for a game. He's drawn to projects that overreach like a moth to flame.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://gfycat.com/blondgleamingbluebreastedkookaburra

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

crabby hands

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

colonelwest posted:

I did a trip report on Area 18 a while back. To summarize, most of it looks like absolute poo poo for a supposedly AAAA game that has cost 250 million dollars so far. Just an empty space full of disparate slapped together art assets with no gameplay value.

This is a Star Citizen high fidelity pizza stand at 4K/max settings.

This is future/cyberpunk Prague in Dues Ex: Mankind Divided (2016)

Thin crust pizza, best pizza.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I like how cuisine hasn't changed at all in future space. Everyone's eating tendies and pizza.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

The thing about graphics in games is that many gamers have been around since the 80's. Personally, I'd give a rats' rear end about graphics "fidelity" if a game has a good and consistent art direction. And I'd give even less if it's a game that is fun to play and not a retarded collection of broken mechanics.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Can some one with access to "the game" tell me what's jump V2 like? I seen the roadmap and 3.6 is rocking fully upgraded jumping...

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

my ultimate funny SC moment goes to

https://youtu.be/Ya_ngkChSFg

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

monkeytek posted:

I guarantee they will just be as bad, however, there will be immersive game play and reason behind why certain areas are less detailed than others rather than random areas of tremendous visual beauty with no correlation to actual game play. I don't give a drat if some random alley has lower polys, I do give a drat if the painstakingly high poly fidelity melts my computer like Chernobyl for no other reason than the artist working on that portion had Chris up his rear end.

That sounds unlikely to happen. I'm fairly sure that Chris's head is far too inflated by his ego to fit in anyone's rear.

Sarsapariller posted:

The pilot's seat of this ship that costs 700 dollars is broken

https://clips.twitch.tv/SmellyDeafMagpieTinyFace

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

:lol:

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Very nice. Funniest thing I ever saw was a citizen trying to get out of a Caterpillar which he'd managed to flip upside down on Daymar or Delamar - whichever the red dusty Archer'd Mars one is. He was running around upside down in the superstructure, until he got to a point where he crossed a magic barrier, and flipped/rubber banded to right side up. Not satisfied with this, he crossed the magic barrier again and lo! was upside down again, in his upside down monster of a spaceship.

No word of a lie, this went on for about 10 minutes while I stood and admired, until he finally managed to rubber band clear out of his chariot - he wheeeeeee'd across the sky and disappeared into space heaven.

It was one of the greatest gaming moments I've ever had, and I shall be forever indebted to CIG shonky physics implementation for it.

That sounds amazing. I'm sorry I missed it :allears: