Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bloodcider posted:

Except the British couple who were the only decent folks in the film.

The British couple have no characterization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Dang, wanted one of those bears in a cage.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like she's literally not that. That is like, what christian would say.

Yeah, when was she particularly overbearing in the movie? She even at several points tries to say, "It's ok, go ahead without me," and Christian uses it as an excuse to make her feel lovely when she's expressly trying NOT to rain on anyone's parade.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Yeah Dani was broken and depressed but idk about overbearing. I guess she should have taken the hint and not gone on the trip with the guys, but I mean, she WAS invited in the end.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Wasn't she even considering not going at all until she was talked into it? I got the impression that the only reason she ended up going was because Christian invited her and I want to say Pelle urged her to go?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Christian tells his lovely friends that he’s invited her but that “she’s not coming,” presumably because he expects her to chicken out at the last moment, and tells them to pretend they wanted her to come. When she gets into the apartment, Josh says something like, “So, I hear you are coming along with us to Sweden,” to which she gives a noncommittal, self-conscious response.

Pelle then tells Dani “I was most excited for you to come,” but it’s unclear whether he is actually excited or he’s pretending like Christian asked.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 11, 2019

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Given that Pelle blatantly hits on her later, pretty sure he is actually excited.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Pelle wanted to be with Dani. It's hard to tell because we never see his penis but I'm fairly certain

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Donovan Trip posted:

Pelle wanted to be with Dani. It's hard to tell because we never see his penis but I'm fairly certain

His penis was subtly erect throughout the film.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Donovan Trip posted:

Cinematic dong flop discourse has been the worst

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

boo_radley posted:

Cinematic dong flop discourse has been the worst

Disagree

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

beanieson posted:

Hell, same

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

beanieson posted:

It was actually a subtle CG effect. Ari Aster really needed the right *degree* of erection in every scene, and that actor struggled to hit the mark on set. Aster is basically the Fincher of penises.

I don’t think Pelle or the cult in general were playing 4D chess. I assumed Pelle saw what Dani was going through, recognized it, and thought she might connect with his community. I didn’t get a sense there was a grand plan for her to play the exact role she did in the end; it just happened that way.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I have to say I chuckled at you dingos trying to apply US/legal standards to a psychedelic death cult. Whether or not Christian was legally raped is such an insane fixation to have, and if it is the standard by which you are measuring if he was sympathetic or not, then IDK what the he'll you were doing for the first two hours of the movie.

None of the outsiders had any power to change any thing at any time. This is also a big flaw in the film.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I also find it really hard to believe that he would forget the birthday of his girlfriend of four years. That's some Homer Simpson type characterization, and while Christian seemed to be a douche, he is in grad school. He is a reasonably smart person. He has a phone. He and Dani have regular interaction. Also, he took her to Scandinavia on her birthday.

Maybe the whole point is to show that Dani is irrational and being gaslit by Pelle, but that seemed really forced.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Dani's problem isn't that she's abusive or controlling, it's that she's spineless and needy. She is sensitive to other's needs, but she doesn't have the backbone to ever do anything about it. The most obvious instantiation of this is that she's the only one to notice that the Brits' disappearances are strange, but once the villagers give her a menial task she doesn't bother investigating further. Her immediate need for approval and belonging has been satisfied. Other examples of this tendency are when she notices that the villagers are trying to split her and Christian up and she just lets them, her constant passive aggressive commentary, and the way she allows Pelle to manipulate her after she calls him on it. She lacks the ability to stand up for herself and others.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Anyone ever find a shot of Pelle’s sketch of the “table” at the beginning of the film?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a new study bible! posted:

None of the outsiders had any power to change any thing at any time. This is also a big flaw in the film.

uh how.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't see that as a flaw at all. Loads of horror films, and most of the great ones, fool you into thinking that the characters have some kind of agency when, in hindsight, nothing could have saved them. There's nothing a horror film can do that's scarier than that.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

pospysyl posted:

Dani's problem isn't that she's abusive or controlling, it's that she's spineless and needy. She is sensitive to other's needs, but she doesn't have the backbone to ever do anything about it. The most obvious instantiation of this is that she's the only one to notice that the Brits' disappearances are strange, but once the villagers give her a menial task she doesn't bother investigating further. Her immediate need for approval and belonging has been satisfied. Other examples of this tendency are when she notices that the villagers are trying to split her and Christian up and she just lets them, her constant passive aggressive commentary, and the way she allows Pelle to manipulate her after she calls him on it. She lacks the ability to stand up for herself and others.

i imagine dani is needy because her entire support network died in an act of horrific violence and the last person she can turn to for help and reassurance is constantly undermining her. christian's inability to fill her need for a human connection is ultimately what sets everyone down the path to destruction and makes dani so vulnerable to the cult

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 11, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

QuoProQuid posted:

i imagine dani is needy because her entire support network died in an act of horrific violence and the last person she can turn to for help and reassurance is constantly undermining her. christian's inability to fill her need for a human connection is ultimately what sets everyone down the path to destruction and makes dani so vulnerable to the cult

you really dont like this christian fella huh

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I also find it really hard to believe that he would forget the birthday of his girlfriend of four years. That's some Homer Simpson type characterization, and while Christian seemed to be a douche, he is in grad school. He is a reasonably smart person. He has a phone. He and Dani have regular interaction. Also, he took her to Scandinavia on her birthday.

A person can be smart but also lovely. Christian is constantly shown to be a really bad boyfriend in every single interaction with Dani except going over to her apartment when she makes that second call to him. And even then he's doing it out of a sense of duty and is incredibly passive while there.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

beanieson posted:

Anyone ever find a shot of Pelle’s sketch of the “table” at the beginning of the film?

While I don’t have a shot from the film itself, I do have the next best thing - the actual artwork! Or a version of it anyway. I was actually commissioned to do a few art pieces for the film while they were in Utah. They ultimately used a different artist’s sketch for this particular bit, but ya know. It’s a table with junk on it.

They actually already shot that whole scene while they were on location in Sweden but apparently the art department did a poo poo job at interiors so they had to recreate it all when they filmed it again here. Problem was the artist they hired to draw all the sketchbook stuff was unavailable to draw the newly set table and after mine got rejected it was kinda up in the air what their solution would be. If I had to guess, that shot was so quick because they didn’t want anyone to notice they used the original drawing of a different table. :eng101:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Bert of the Forest posted:

While I don’t have a shot from the film itself, I do have the next best thing - the actual artwork! Or a version of it anyway. I was actually commissioned to do a few art pieces for the film while they were in Utah. They ultimately used a different artist’s sketch for this particular bit, but ya know. It’s a table with junk on it.

They actually already shot that whole scene while they were on location in Sweden but apparently the art department did a poo poo job at interiors so they had to recreate it all when they filmed it again here. Problem was the artist they hired to draw all the sketchbook stuff was unavailable to draw the newly set table and after mine got rejected it was kinda up in the air what their solution would be. If I had to guess, that shot was so quick because they didn’t want anyone to notice they used the original drawing of a different table. :eng101:

That’s really cool, thanks for posting it. I’d assumed there was something weird in his sketch since we only got a glimpse lol

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Mel Mudkiper posted:

you really dont like this christian fella huh

i don't mean to harp again and again on the same point but the film is extremely explicit about why dani is the way she is. posts along the lines of "but dani was also bad" strike me as missing the point to a catastrophic degree.

This is extremely cool. Thanks for posting. If you can give us more detail, I'd love to know what else you were commissioned to do for the film.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

he is in grad school. He is a reasonably smart person.

Having dealt with a whole lot of grad students in my day, I have some bad news for you, friend.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

he is in grad school. He is a reasonably smart person.

that was one of the most grating things in the film to me. for a supposed phd candidate he sure acted like a dumbass high school kid, especially next to the other guy. I guess that's the point but it was so over the top that it pulled me out a bit every time that came up.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ben Carson was a brilliant neurosurgeon

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

They actually already shot that whole scene while they were on location in Sweden but apparently the art department did a poo poo job at interiors so they had to recreate it all when they filmed it again here.
i have no idea what your sources are, but I'm halfway believing you on that. the scene in the barn where Simon is found has all sorts of light beaming in through badly positioned wood planks for walls, for the interior shot, while the exterior shot had a naked Christian running into a otherwise stable looking building. also, the light beaming down from the ceiling in the barn that holds the book when Josh enters, although his entrance scene has it pitch black outside.

although, i guess this interior was shot in Sweden, err, Hungary (the movie was shot in Budapest, according to Florence Pugh's IG posts)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzF1PrfFtOs/?igshid=7kq72wx7cydq

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
Oh yeah, take the specifics of what I say with a grain of salt. I'm half-remembering the story my father told me about all this (he did all the interiors while they filmed in Utah, and was the production designer for Hereditary). I can't recall the specific location they originally filmed at, but the whole thing about having to redo the interiors here because they weren't up to par where they filmed it originally was definitely a thing.

As far as the other pieces I was commissioned for, they had me do some very specific charcoal drawings that I never spotted in the final film, and one painting of the scarecrow from the wizard of oz. Apparently the director was very particular about it being THE scarecrow from the film, and having a kind of gentle watercolor feel to it. This one I DID see made it in the film, propped up above the fridge in the apartment scenes. So hey! My boy here is a movie star:

Here are the pieces that didn't make the cut (or they did and I didn't see them):

DessertStorm
Aug 9, 2013

In the final scene, I think it's over simplistic to say Dani is just smiling at Christian burning to death (not to mention that it flattens her into an evil villain). I took that shot as her finally seeing people, and the world, reflect the pain and destruction she'd been feeling, every minute of every day, since her family's death. The lack of communication between her and Christian was clearly their biggest problem, though we don't know how much he tried to understand (probably not much) or how much she tried to explain her grief (probably not well).

Anyway, grief is isolating because it makes you feel completely alone in your pain, and it's shown over and over that Dani is extremely in touch with her pain, to the point that it makes her scream like she's burning alive. So when she sees the crumbling, flaming temple, hears the men's screams, sees the cult members beating their breasts, she smiles because that's what she'd been trying to say for months.

Also Christian did get raped and the A24 shop would be a lot more fun if they had anything in stock ever.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

DessertStorm posted:

the A24 shop would be a lot more fun if they had anything in stock ever.

I want this to be real

https://mobile.twitter.com/A24/status/1148597708451696647

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Per the script, re: her smile: it describes her as having surrendered to a “joy known only to the insane”, that she has “lost herself completely and is finally free”, and it’s “horrible and beautiful” as she is now queen and “no longer alone”

Also the script is very overt about Christian being emotionally disconnected. His eyes are often described as having “no warmth”.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

I have good news

https://shop.a24films.com/products/bear-in-a-cage

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
The secret is that neither character is right or wrong. The characters are actually two boring people in a dysfunctional relationship on it's last legs. This is all communicated in the beginning of the movie. Neither character is 'good' or 'bad' in their inability to 'do the right thing' to fix the relationship. The real solution was to break up instead of settle, which is a reoccurring theme in the movie.

The real antagonist of the movie is Pelle, who originally planned to lure a group of five people to his cult to be ritually sacrificed. Upon sensing the opportunity, he finds a sixth. Anyone with a bullshit detector could tell you that Pelle was tipping his mental fedora the entire film. He both succeeds and escapes any kind of retribution for his part in a mass murder plot, and even plants a big kiss on Dani as he brings in the big V. One day he will probably leap from a cliff in his old age.

It seems to be confused here that Pelle may have good intentions for Dani because he said some nice things to her. Meanwhile, Christian deserves to be burned alive because he was both insensitive and unable to cure her mental illness. Dani, the strong, independent, and smart woman, never thought to leave the guy who was not fulfilling her emotional needs.

Consider if Christian had told Dani to gently caress off and went by himself, he would probably wind up immolated anyway. Or if he decided not to go, Vape-Pisser guy and the others would still be killed, and they would still be in an unhealthy codependent relationship. Instead he bluffs and invites her, and she calls his bluff and comes along. I can assure you, nobody deserved to die. That is the horror of the film - a group of people are lured into the woods and butchered for reasons that are foreign and unknown. While this happens we get to observe two people who don't like each other continue to be bad for each other. For some reason, blame is being placed on them for not completely changing over three days.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Yessssssssss

https://mobile.twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1149378485821083648

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
He did a great AMA on Reddit for those interested that clarified the 90 years thing:

The last ritual of the film is what happens every 90 years. The rest is business as usual. Although it is suggested that there are more days of celebration to come. The movie doesn't span 9 days.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So. I thought this would be a good horror movie. I just took my old aunt and mother and young cousin to this movie. My aunt is from a conservative country, Pakistan which needless to say this is not exactly what I was expecting when we got to the...uh....climax.

I also hyped this over Crawl. This was definitely horror...for and to me. I’m mortified. I wish I was in that fire.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Gatts posted:

So. I thought this would be a good horror movie. I just took my old aunt and mother and young cousin to this movie. My aunt is from a conservative country, Pakistan which needless to say this is not exactly what I was expecting when we got to the...uh....climax.

I also hyped this over Crawl. This was definitely horror...for and to me. I’m mortified. I wish I was in that fire.

the film works!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

Danger posted:

He did a great AMA on Reddit for those interested that clarified the 90 years thing:

The last ritual of the film is what happens every 90 years. The rest is business as usual. Although it is suggested that there are more days of celebration to come. The movie doesn't span 9 days.

So Pelle's parents died in a normal fire? Does that mean the cult just randomly adopts or steals orphans? I liked the part my brain made up better.

Reddit is a cesspool.