Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vnghdsjmd0

quote:

With their relationship in trouble, a young American couple travel to a fabled Swedish midsummer festival where a seemingly pastoral paradise transforms into a sinister, dread-soaked nightmare as the locals reveal their terrifying agenda.

Ari Aster is back after his incredible debut, Hereditary, which, in my (and at least a few others') opinion, was the best horror film in years, interfamilial grief taken to its most unendurably intense conclusion. Early word on Midsommar, including from Jordan Peele, is that it's every bit as jaw-dropping.

https://twitter.com/davidehrlich/status/1141178901844111362

https://twitter.com/joshrothkopf/status/1141182589060993024

https://twitter.com/VinceMancini/status/1141181880491839488

I can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Aaand I forgot the tag. That's what I get for posting at 2:30 am.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just realised this comes out in the UK only one day after the US and I am now excessively excited

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Got a ticket for this upcoming Tuesday evening. Hereditary legit hosed me up for a week, so I ended up reading Midsommar's leaked script just so I knew what to expect.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

whens the release date

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yeah I’m gonna be really nervous every morning when I get in the Swedish pagan solstice ritual and pull the Swedish pagan solstice ritual curtain closed

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
And think about going to the beach but too afraid to get into the Swedish Pagan Solstice Ritual

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

interesting. pre-release twitter impressions for indie darlings are just as vapid as the ones for big studio tentpoles. learn something new everyday

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I totally agree the Ehrlich pull quote is ridic, though I'm not sure he doesn't intend it the same way.

Either way - only one or two more days, motherfuckers!

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

the Ehrlich quote is clearly a joke and i don't know how anybody could be so thick as to miss it, let alone be so dumb you actually clown on him for it

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

it's the kind of too clever by half stuff critics do and you can only really get away with it if it's paired with actual analysis, which obviously can't be done in one tweet. we get the joke. it's still stupid.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Just saw a showing at my local AMC theater, super happy that the premiere was on a Tuesday evening when you can see films for $5.

I read the screenplay beforehand so I knew what to expect, but even then, it was not as scary/disturbing as I expected. General audiences are going to loving HATE this movie, partially because it's being marketed as straight-up horror rather than as an artfilm. I loved all the trippyness, and especially how it was a relationship drama in the same way that Hereditary was a family drama.

Furthermore, it was genuinely hilarious at all the right times. I especially liked the part where the old guy gets his bashed in with a hammer, and then other villagers take turns doing the same thing after he's obviously already dead with no more face after the first time. But poo poo, Ari Aster really likes gory images huh.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Saw the first showing in my area and got drat did I love this. Hereditary was all shock and uncertainty, Midsommar is dread and knowing what is going to happen but not how...

Also Ari Aster is the king of smash cuts

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Saw it. Loved it. Surprisingly funny throughout and beautifully shot. Definitely going to see it again next week. Loved all the choreography of the extras in the background of the shots.

I don't think we are going to see the widespread "this hosed me up for a week" responses that we saw with Hereditary which is ok but I don't think general audiences are going to love it. It may be too slow for the Annabelle Comes Home crowd - I dont remember a single jump scare in the entire thing.

Aster is quickly becoming one of my favorite directors. The man just knows how to wrap up a movie with a hosed up set piece.

are we just going to ignore the bear?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Two of Pelle's lines foreshadowed and I wanna rewatch to get a sense of what all he sees coming

"Don't forget about all the Swedish women you will impregnate in June"

"I lost my parents in a fire"

Pretty hard to compare against Hereditary, I'd say Hereditary was scarier, while Midsommar was overall the better movie.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

air- posted:

Two of Pelle's lines foreshadowed and I wanna rewatch to get a sense of what all he sees coming

"Don't forget about all the Swedish women you will impregnate in June"

"I lost my parents in a fire"

Pretty hard to compare against Hereditary, I'd say Hereditary was scarier, while Midsommar was overall the better movie.

Also when he talks about the children's game "Skin the Fool".

air-
Sep 24, 2007

I'm also wondering, did anyone catch what was the point of the scissors under the baby's pillow?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

air- posted:

I'm also wondering, did anyone catch what was the point of the scissors under the baby's pillow?

That's an actual real-life superstition-based practice, but otherwise just for ominous imagery IMO

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Thom and the Heads posted:

are we just going to ignore the bear?

the bear was a vagina

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Wasn't expecting such a feel good ending. Maybe I just really liked Dani, but I could really feel the relief on her face as she watched her boyfriend burn

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I feel like I just watched a full on comedy with some gross out effects thrown in. Like a Seth Rogen movie. By the Midway point the entire theater was laughing at every goddamn thing in this movie, like nearly to tears laughing. I loved hereditary, I love a24 films in general, but this was a big fat disappointment for us, and boring too.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Donovan Trip posted:

I feel like I just watched a full on comedy with some gross out effects thrown in. Like a Seth Rogen movie. By the Midway point the entire theater was laughing at every goddamn thing in this movie, like nearly to tears laughing. I loved hereditary, I love a24 films in general, but this was a big fat disappointment for us, and boring too.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH OH MAN AHAHAHAHAHAH! gently caress am I bored!

???

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Boring, or dragged, take your pick. Just because something is funny doesn't mean you're enjoying your time. It's a really ambitious movie and I look forward to more by the director but this one just didn't do it for me, if you think this isn't a divisive film that's cool too.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 3, 2019

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Another extra thought clicked on what made Midsommar and Hereditary stand out for me, even though I don't consider them in my top 10, but I think I have an idea...

The typical horror trope has death/violence from some creature, human nature from stupidity/ignorance/greed, paranormal/supernatural forces etc. The audience wants the source or whatever to be stopped, you want the killer to be caught, you blame the people for being too stupid.

But Hereditary and Midsommar do it differently: they treat death as an inevitable event and there's no escape.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Donovan Trip posted:

Boring, or dragged, take your pick. Just because something is funny doesn't mean you're enjoying your time. It's a really ambitious movie and I look forward to more by the director but this one just didn't do it for me, if you think this isn't a divisive film that's cool too.

I've just never heard someone describe uncontrollable laughter as being bored is all.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

air- posted:

But Hereditary and Midsommar do it differently: they treat death as an inevitable event and there's no escape.

Ari has talked about this point, saying he respects that the audience understands the characters are going to die and suffer. He defocuses the idea that they might somehow get out, especially in this movie-- characters walk off into the woods, another movie would show that person being chased into the woods or followed and slowly realizing they're in danger. Ari doesn't care about that at all.

T Bowl posted:

I've just never heard someone describe uncontrollable laughter as being bored is all.

It wasn't my laughter, it was the theater. My disappointment came from what I wanted the movie to be, that's not the movies fault but people reading this thread should know this is not what they think it will be. I went in blind other than knowing it was a24 and the director of hereditary so a brightly lit dramedy with a bunch of Swedes dancing around was jarring as hell

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 3, 2019

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I don't get how you don't see this as a complete parallel to Hereditary

That was just a bunch of darkly lit sad family drama

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Paul ReiserFS posted:

I don't get how you don't see this as a complete parallel to Hereditary

That was just a bunch of darkly lit sad family drama

The horrific moment midway into hereditary was earned and sudden. Here it dumped that moment at the beginning, it worked OK, but it didn't turn my stomach like hereditary and felt like window dressing. I preferred the third act of hereditary, I thought it was tense and scary. But here we got a doofy faced dweeb sad plowing a girl while Grandma helped him, maybe the biggest laugh for the audience

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Like my initial post, this movie is simultaneously parallel and perpendicular to Hereditary -- the former was all shock, where Midsommar tells you exactly what it is going to do, and then does it

It's definitely less scary and more foreboding, dizzying, unsettling, and 'just not right'

You can dismissively phrase any scene from any movie to make it sound stupid... The idiot old man drops his stupid snowglobe and thinks about his stupid toy and dies

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I understood the movie just fine, it didn't work for me. I didn't find it dizzying or foreboding. It reminded me of the village and thinking "maybe this guy is being a little self indulgent"

I admire the things it tried and I think he's a really interesting director. It was entirely unique. I just did not enjoy it.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I got out of this and me and another guy looked at each other and asked what the hell did we just watch. I'm going to think about it but it probably isn't going to stick with me the way Hereditary did.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

there were a few parts early on in the movie that i thought really nailed the sensation of a panic attack coming on

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

Donovan Trip posted:

It wasn't my laughter, it was the theater.

Do you think it's possible that such a theater reaction negatively painted your experience? I had an awful crowd when I first saw Hereditary, so I specifically went to a matinee this time.

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
A24 horror guarantees I'll buy a ticket, and this one did not disappoint. I loved it. It was awesome that I had the entire theater to myself for a 10:00 a.m. July 3 showing (so not really a surprise that it was mostly empty.) Although I almost wish I could have experienced most of the audience hating it on the way out, like my experience with Hereditary.

The subtle and unsubtle choreography in the background and the general hallucinatory and equally harshly real visuals were amazingly well done. I love unsettling horror, and the idea of being whacked out on drugs while all this crazy poo poo is happening is terrifying and the film depicts that really well.

For me, this one is a solid A. Hereditary gets an A+...it's hard to top Tony Collete's amazing acting. Ari Aster can do no wrong, and I'm already eagerly awaiting whatever he does next. I'm sure it will be grief-themed and that's just fine with me.

Any ideas on what happened to Will Poulter's douchey character Mark? He was killed off screen, but I *think* it showed him half-naked in the temple when Josh was trying to photograph the holy texts. He appeared swollen like he was having an allergic reaction?

Caustic fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 3, 2019

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Saw this today, loved it. HEREDITARY and MIDSOMMAR feel like dark and light sides of the same moon, in the way they handle grief.

I'm really interested in the occult, especially non-"orientalized" occult depictions, things like American folk magic, European witchcraft, etc. That stuff shows you things you find aaaallllmost familiar but puts a creepy spin on them. In the same way, any of us who have been around (or who have been) someone who suffered a major tragedy know how that kind of thing makes the griever felt out of place, uncanny, eerie against "normal" life. I like the way occult fuckery stands in for the mysteries of a grieving heart.

I don't know if this film hit me quite as hard as HEREDITARY, but it hit me in a different way for sure and I really responded to it. I think it's beautifully shot and I think the score and sound design are incredible. It wasn't a mallet to the skull like HEREDITARY but it was such a creepy slowly ratcheting uneasiness. I wonder which will stand the test of time better (if either) (hopefully both!).

Weird question about sound design, mid-movie spoilers just in case: during a scene towards the middle, Josh and Christian are starting to argue about their thesis and later Dani goes to sleep and has a bad dream. Was there a ringing phone-type sound effect behind it, like the sound of the phone from the beginning? I couldn't tell if it was some alarm in my theater or a callback to the phone call, but it was really unnerving.

quote:

Any ideas on what happened to Will Poulter's douchey character? He was killed off screen, but I *think* it showed him half-naked in the temple when the other character was trying to photograph the holy texts. He appeared swollen like he was having an allergic reaction?

They skinned him. Remember how they were playing "skin the fool"? He was the vapin' fool. Someone was wearing him like a mask in the book temple but they show his straw-stuffed skin corpse later in the yellow pyramid.

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 3, 2019

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005

mary had a little clam posted:

They skinned him. Remember how they were playing "skin the fool"? He was the vapin' fool. Someone was wearing him like a mask in the book temple but they show his straw-stuffed skin corpse later in the yellow pyramid.

Ah, that makes sense, thank you. That's amazing. Guess I'll have to watch it again so I can more closely watch those specific scenes!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Caustic posted:

Any ideas on what happened to Will Poulter's douchey character Mark? He was killed off screen, but I *think* it showed him half-naked in the temple when Josh was trying to photograph the holy texts. He appeared swollen like he was having an allergic reaction?

The inbred leader wore Mark's face when he bludgeoned Josh. Mark was the skinned body (remember, skin the fool) that Christian saw hanging. I think the breathing lungs was a hallucinogenic effect from tripping balls

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005

air- posted:

The inbred leader wore Mark's face when he bludgeoned Josh. Mark was the skinned body (remember, skin the fool) that Christian saw hanging. I think the breathing lungs was a hallucinogenic effect from tripping balls

I thought the guy hanging up to dry with his lungs hanging out in the chicken coop was Simon. I had trouble recognizing mostly-filleted corpses I guess. Another reason to watch it again!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

air- posted:

Not quite correct — Ruben was wearing Mark’s face but someone else bludgeoned Josh from behind. And it was Simon who was strung up with his lungs out, not Mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

re: that particular sequence:

today i learned that what happened to simon is called the blood eagle which is a form of execution that may or may not have actually been performed by vikings. from wikipedia: The blood eagle is a ritualized method of execution, detailed in late skaldic poetry. According to the two instances mentioned in the Sagas, the victims (in both cases members of royal families) were placed in a prone position, their ribs severed from the spine with a sharp tool, and their lungs pulled through the opening to create a pair of "wings". There is continuing debate about whether the ritual was a literary invention, a mistranslation of the original texts, or an authentic historical practice.[1][2][3]