Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

idk im doing all the storm bringer story quests before I do the new stuff. I pretty much just got my main to 60 then didnt play any of the expansion

im up to the 4.3 patch stuff and the only solace i have is that im getting xp for all these quests. almost there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

just went looking for FF on my PS4 before realising it was PC only

time to dust off the ole PC

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

ffxiv? its on ps4 too

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

what is the cheapest way to get that game for ps4? it looks like i'll have to spend $120 to get all of the content and that's a huge turn-off.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I couldn't get into FF14 at all, got to maybe lvl 15. The anime aesthetic just isn't for me.

I've been playing ESO again, the quests are fun and it's a big game. Pretty chill to play a few hours here or there. Making the whole game scale so that you can do the zones in any order you want to was a great change to the game.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

colachute posted:

what is the cheapest way to get that game for ps4? it looks like i'll have to spend $120 to get all of the content and that's a huge turn-off.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0082-CUSA00288_00-C000010000000000

free demo to try out before you go all in

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

also its not like WoW, you can get away with buying the starter edition and playing it all the way to 50.

Certain classes and races wont be unlocked but you wont be locked out of any content in the 1-50 route

(or is it 60? is HW included in that?)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

The wife and I played Final Fantasy 14 back when the Heavensword xpac came out. We got to max level and promptly discovered there were like fifty more quests we had to do for no xp to open up the expansion stuff. Did the game ever get less dumb than that? Because we got like twenty some odd missions in and decided we didn't care anymore.

They have added xp to all of the previous expansions story quests on the day that the new expansion launched, you'll pick up an entire level and change going from end of stormblood 4.0 through 4.5.

Stormblood 4.0 to 4.5 is about 55-60 quests though so it takes a while to get to the end, but it does resolve a lot of plot points from the main story and add in pretty interesting/important story stuff for shadowbringers in 4.5.

E: they've consolidated stormblood into their complete roll-up pack, so the starter edition is just base game 1-50, and includes 30 days of game time for $20 total. If you shell out for the $60 complete edition you get the base game, heavensward and stormblood, as well as 30 days game time. It's kinda like how blizzard used to do WoW Battle Chests.

Shadowbringers is either $39.99 (standard) or $59.99 (collectors edition, comes with digital knick knacks), I would not throw down money on those unless you're already at that content because you might just quit before you get there and that would be a waste.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 9, 2019

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
New Tetris 99 event this weekend. It'll unlock a Splatoon 2 theme!

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

ffxiv? its on ps4 too

oh drat

Thanks man. Just bought the $18 dollar version with 30 days play time to check it out.

so I don’t need to buy any expansions until late/end game?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Before the trial/demo used to be x amount of hours over x amount of time, but now they let you level a character to 30 I think with unlimited time? Something like that? Anyway yeah, you don’t have to buy anything outright iirc.

Mustang posted:

I couldn't get into FF14 at all, got to maybe lvl 15. The anime aesthetic just isn't for me.

Yeah the cool root mechanics are there and I love having one character and switching classes via weapons, but it is very very anime, almost too much at times

Dude McAwesome posted:

oh drat

Thanks man. Just bought the $18 dollar version with 30 days play time to check it out.

so I don’t need to buy any expansions until late/end game?

I think you might miss out on some classes but otherwise no you have to slog through the main campaign before you go into the expansions, not something you really need yet

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 10, 2019

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I would note that the storyline in 2.0 through 2.55 (end of the base non expansion game) is the weakest storytelling in the game. It's pretty dire compared to what came after, though its probably still stronger than WoW I guess if you like storylines in your RPGs.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

colachute posted:

All three expansions are bundled together with Shadowbringers, so it should only be $60 total unless I'm missing something. It might be different on PS4?

orange juche posted:

I would note that the storyline in 2.0 through 2.55 (end of the base non expansion game) is the weakest storytelling in the game. It's pretty dire compared to what came after, though its probably still stronger than WoW I guess if you like storylines in your RPGs.

It seems like in the initial 2.0 launch the developers were in a mad rush to release as much content as quickly as possible, as the endgame was fairly bare at the time (being a newly launched mmo). One of the things they did at the time was include a shitton of filler quests in the 2.0-2.55 story that were entirely unnecessary and now they're a stepping stone on the way to the much better parts (3.0 and beyond).

I'd say 2.4 - 2.55 was good, still padded in length but it did a good job of setting up player investment in the 3.0 story.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Manyorcas posted:

All three expansions are bundled together with Shadowbringers, so it should only be $60 total unless I'm missing something. It might be different on PS4?

It's $60 unless you buy the starter edition beforehand, because then it's $20, plus $60 down the road when you get there. It does come with a free month of game time so that's kind of like getting the 3 expansions (Heavensward/Stormblood/Shadowbringers) for $15 each, as it grants you a month of game time when you buy the complete pack.

Starter Edition is $20, but if you subtract the cost of a month sub (which is included), it's $5.

E: Welp the free 30 days game time does not apply when you buy the complete edition after having bought the Starter edition

quote:

Please note that the FINAL FANTASY® XIV: Complete Edition pack also includes FINAL FANTASY® XIV: HEAVENSWARD, FINAL FANTASY® XIV: STORMBLOOD and FINAL FANTASY® XIV: SHADOWBRINGERS. The 30-day free play period included with purchase can only be applied once to each platform on a single service account. Moreover, this 30-day free play period is not applicable to platforms on which a license has already been registered.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 10, 2019

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/1145533703965179904?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCUon1SgKi8

handheld mode only (only games this messes with are ARMS and 1-2- Switch which no one cares about)
720p like the old switch
no hd rumble or tilt
no tv mode
better battery
cant remove joycons

gonna buy one for my kid for pokemon

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

A Bad Poster posted:

New Tetris 99 event this weekend. It'll unlock a Splatoon 2 theme!

how did i miss this!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Now do a Switch Pro you cowards

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

No. Stop with the dumb incremental releases. I don’t want this dumb poo poo to catch fire like loot boxes and DLC and five distinctly different versions of a console come out. We already flirted with it this console generation and it will 100% get capitalism’d in the next gen — especially given the widespread lovely tactics that game devs started using this generation.

colachute fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 10, 2019

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

they will. its what they do.

the lite is pretty much perfect for my 7 year old, and its out before sword and shield. im getting one day one

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

also I can totally see nintendo moving away from removable joycons in future iterations, those things must be a nightmare to produce and hella expensive

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

oh also the left joycon buttons are now a dpad

thank god

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

colachute posted:

No. Stop with the dumb incremental releases. I don’t want this dumb poo poo to catch fire like loot boxes and DLC and five distinctly different versions of a console come out. We already flirted with it this console generation and it will 100% get capitalism’d in the next gen — especially given the widespread lovely tactics that game devs started using this generation.

But the Switch Lite isn't an incremental upgrade on the Switch. It's a stealthy way to release the New 3DS XXL without calling it that or admitting the 3DS is dead. That's why there's no TV mode on the Lite.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

also to cash in on parents buying two copies of pokemon a month after it comes out

hence the two-pack they announced at e3

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

nintendo has weaponized nostalgia to a level seen only by disney at this point

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Fuckin WoW classic is releasing next month. All of the nostalgia barrages have finally hit my core....

My Molten Core.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Need a rogue?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

colachute posted:

Need a rogue?

Nobody needs a rogue, but it doesn't stop a rogue from sneaking up behind them and sapping and wrecking them

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Classic WoW does tickle my fancy. I dumped so many hours into that and TBC. If they just did two years cycles of TBC and reset the server back to level zero, I’d be really cool with that and would probably go through all of the content through a couple of cycles before getting burned out again.

Not sure how things went with WotLK but I hear that WotLK was the high mark for the game.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
WotLK was the best WoW, followed closely (imo at least) by the Legion expansion. So of course the one after Legion got rid of all the stuff that was good with Legion and made everything else worse

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I was a wrath baby.

I played a little Vanilla in 04-05, and a little TBC but didn't get back onto the game until Wrath.

That's when they started simplifying skill trees, created the glyph system, ground travel was still a thing in the old world, 10 mans, looking for raid and looking for group launched, making those things finally accessible to casuals like me.

It was, I feel, like just the right balance of new casual friendly mechanics, and insanely rewarding for the higher-level players.

Newbies like me could get access to higher level gear to actually get into casual raiding and get to experience endgame content without being a spreadsheet nerd.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I thought TBC was just the right amount of casual and hardcore. I tend to skew a little towards the hardcore side of things though, so my baseline might be different for casual-friendly. But that’s when they introduced daily quests and easily accessible pvp gear, as well as easy mode and hard mode dungeons.

I don’t like the idea of raid finder. I’ve heard from people that WoW has lost most of the social aspect that I enjoyed so much. People go to a raid, don’t really speak much, and then go about their way when the raid is done.

I met a LOT of friends on WoW because each server felt like it’s own community. That doesn’t seem to be the case now.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Servers don't matter that much any more cause I think AH's, queues, and PvP are region or battlegroup shared now. Plus you can group with anyone from any server if you're Blizzard friends

Edit: I don't think EU and NA or other regions can play together tho

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

colachute posted:

Yeah I agree about the incremental releases. I swear I read something about Microsoft moving away from it next gen and making it more like PC somehow but lol who knows, whatever makes the most money. I just hope we have real backwards compatibility.

There’s the original Xbox one, Xbox one s, now Xbox one x, then they release the one without a disc drive...which saves you exactly $0 🤔

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

nintendo has weaponized nostalgia to a level seen only by disney at this point

20 years from now people will still lose their poo poo and trip over themselves to play lovely NES/SNES ports and remasters in 10 minute blocks. Not mad they’re porting every game to the Switch, but the wii-u is practically all but worthless now

But really how many games these days are just ports or remakes? Don’t get me wrong there’s been so many good AAA games the last few years it’s moot, but yeah

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Man that switch lite got me really tempted. The switch in our house is technically my daughters since she paid for half of it, so it would be nice to get a second one. I'm pretty sure I would have to rebuy all the digital games though?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

bengy81 posted:

Man that switch lite got me really tempted. The switch in our house is technically my daughters since she paid for half of it, so it would be nice to get a second one. I'm pretty sure I would have to rebuy all the digital games though?

It's also handheld only.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

bengy81 posted:

I'm pretty sure I would have to rebuy all the digital games though?

I’m wondering as well. With two of us it would be cool to have one of each.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yeah im in the same boat. mario kart and ssb for sure are gonna have to be rebuys

bengy81
May 8, 2010

McNally posted:

It's also handheld only.

I'm totally ok with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

tabletop mode works too which is what i use way more than handheld anyways