Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

The Real Amethyst posted:

Hell yeah it is.

Best track from the best album, IV imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

redleader posted:

unrelated to re-katrina, but have there been any death tolls published from the recent european heatwave?

Wikipedia says this:

quote:

The heat was implicated in the deaths of at least 13 people. Five died in France, four in Germany, three in the United Kingdom, two in Spain, and one each in Italy. Nine of these were drownings, attributed to people cooling down, and another involved an exhausted farm worker who went unconscious after diving into a pool. The three who died in hot air were aged 72, 80 and 93.

But I also looked at the French version of the article and it quotes a newspaper talking about 15 deaths in France alone. It's a far cry from the 15,000 dead during the 2003 heatwave, either way.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Choice and consideration weren't involved. My gf is a hospital pharmacist and her institution was bought out by Ochsner after the last owners Jindal paid to take it got tired of it.

ugggh yeah i heard that they were buying everything up around there

goondolences

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Choice and consideration weren't involved. My gf is a hospital pharmacist and her institution was bought out by Ochsner after the last owners Jindal paid to take it got tired of it.

:rip:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
We're both pharmacists. Considering the job market and Walmart helping to flush retail pharmacy away things aren't looking good. But at least I'm not facing the existential threat of constant flooding. Yet. Family is all in Mandeville and they act like they won't be affected by climate change induced migration when Baton Rouge released a report saying the only thing Louisiana can do is retreat from the coast.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol like half the houses are on stilts in mandeville

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

wait i thought this wasn't even a tropical storm yet

is it just that much of a rainy fucker

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
one surgey boi

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Feranon posted:

wait i thought this wasn't even a tropical storm yet

is it just that much of a rainy fucker

It ain't even a depression yet.

The Mississippi has been at flood stage for 8 months and we had our third "100 year rain" in the last 2 years this morning, which was unrelated to the system developing in the Gulf.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/nyt_diff/status/1149100714125398016

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

drat, gonna be some big dick weather poo poo this weekend

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Army Corps is moving to put sandbags on top of the levees at the low points, which may work great for all I know but doesn't really inspire confidence.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Kassad posted:

Wikipedia says this:

But I also looked at the French version of the article and it quotes a newspaper talking about 15 deaths in France alone. It's a far cry from the 15,000 dead during the 2003 heatwave, either way.

thanks

yeah, it's nuts how big 2003 was. according to wikipedia, 70k deaths (!!) can be attributed to that one. i guess it meant people were better prepared this time?

PostNouveau posted:

It ain't even a depression yet.

The Mississippi has been at flood stage for 8 months and we had our third "100 year rain" in the last 2 years this morning, which was unrelated to the system developing in the Gulf.

official guidelines have yet to be updated to refer to these as "1 year rains"

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i didn't realise how much of new orleans is not just below the river, but actually below sea level

seems like you'd need some sort of civil engineering for this to work out. perhaps a handful of days dedicated to infrastructure?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Army Corps is moving to put sandbags on top of the levees at the low points, which may work great for all I know but doesn't really inspire confidence.

Army Corps now planning to blow as hard as they can at the storm surge in the hopes of slowing it down.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

redleader posted:

i didn't realise how much of new orleans is not just below the river, but actually below sea level

seems like you'd need some sort of civil engineering for this to work out. perhaps a handful of days dedicated to infrastructure?

it's doable, but with change change, we should probably start winding down cities that won't survive like phoenix, miami, new orleans, and poo poo that's just gunna get totally wrecked in the coming decades and building a robust city with dense housing and transit with little roads more inland in areas with ample supply of freshwater.

instead they'll probably do another half-assed grifted corrupt improvement, then it'll get washed out again and lots of people will die, repeat until everyone is gone and now no one has anywhere to live bc every place is in a housing crisis

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

redleader posted:

thanks

yeah, it's nuts how big 2003 was. according to wikipedia, 70k deaths (!!) can be attributed to that one. i guess it meant people were better prepared this time?

official guidelines have yet to be updated to refer to these as "1 year rains"

the new hypernormal

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

twoday posted:

I vaguely remember a thread about struggling to keep them running, it was like reading someone posting from inside the titanic
You were probably remembering Michael Barnett's livejournal (link goes to his first Katrina post). He's a green beret hired to guard the center through the storm.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Kassad posted:

Wikipedia says this:

redleader posted:

thanks

I bet it's this. In 2003 such weather was unprecedented, but by 2019 even with a (worse, right?) heatwave it's probably less of a deviation from normal and people know to keep mee maw and pep pep from dying of heatstroke.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I bet it's this. In 2003 such weather was unprecedented, but by 2019 even with a (worse, right?) heatwave it's probably less of a deviation from normal and people know to keep mee maw and pep pep from dying of heatstroke.

also european countries don't make it a point of pride to stuff their fuckin national fingers in their ears and scream LALALALALA GLOBAL WARMING FAKE NEWS

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

There was also a major shitstorm in France after 2003, because it happened in August when a lot of people are off on vacation... Including the health minister. He stayed on vacation as the death toll started becoming apparent, didn't recall hospital doctors to handle the emergency (if I said he's a conservative, would you be surprised?). He was let go in a cabinet reshuffle afterwards.

So after that, the state did a bunch of work to ensure this wouldn't happen again. This year, the media started warning about the heatwave about a week before it started.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Gobbeldygook posted:

You were probably remembering Michael Barnett's livejournal (link goes to his first Katrina post). He's a green beret hired to guard the center through the storm.

No, it was definitely a gbs thread with a mod or radium or someone posting that they were in the something awful server room in New Orleans long after the evacuation window struggling to keep the forums running

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucs1af3Ntf8

Gaia gonna kill us all. :stoked:

Addamere has issued a correction as of 08:17 on Jul 11, 2019

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Hell yeah its storm season

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/NWSNewOrleans/status/1149264234863321090

lol

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

it's gonna be even more lmao when the 5g rollout cripples our ability to predict these extreme weather events

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Are we stealing the Doppler radar wavelengths for it or something?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The US Navy claims that the wavelengths that'll be used for 5g will reduce our weather prediction accuracy by 30%

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

twoday posted:

last time I was on an NYC beach I saw a bunch of dudes illegally harvesting oysters at low tide, I wonder which fancy Manhattan restaurant they ended up selling them to

They are doing the whole billion oyster project in NY harbor and there are literally signs that say ‘do not eat the loving oysters’ at the reefs

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Goon Danton posted:

Are we stealing the Doppler radar wavelengths for it or something?

water vapor imaging, which is way worse

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

RandomPauI posted:

The US Navy claims that the wavelengths that'll be used for 5g will reduce our weather prediction accuracy by 30%

its cool that this is all because the FCC is too lazy (greedy) to change frequencies because of the cost setback, whereas more damage will be inflicted on infrastructure and those costs will be more substantial in the long run

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

It's mostly because short-sighted greed is more valuable to the rich than planning for anything down the line when they might be dead from gout or affluenza.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just realized Trump's Katrina is going to be named after Barack "Barry Soetoro" Obama and it wasn't even born in Africa like a real American hurricane.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Also starting to think one parish upriver might not be far enough. Might be time to head all the way back to Texas.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

welp

https://twitter.com/WWLTV/status/1149255526259318784

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i mean, i always take the wet side, it's just good manners

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Corps of Engineers actually gave a pretty good update, revising the crest down to 19 feet and saying that the database that showed levees lower than 20 feet was inaccurate, and they made a mistake yesterday in telling the media that that database was up-to-date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

:siren::siren::siren:
https://twitter.com/ShebaTurk/status/1149331183001640960