Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pissing me off: on Friday afternoon, my car was totaled in an accident caused by an uninsured driver while I was driving my son home from my parents’ house. This is relevant to my work because the woman who did it is apparently good friends with my new boss, who starts Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Oh holy poo poo. This gem just got dumped in our general channel....

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Proof reading. Not even once.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm wining with my team too!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

The Fool posted:

I'm wining with my team too!

No, clearly they meant whining.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

El Jebus posted:

No, clearly they meant whining.

How did you know about my most-used Slack channel?

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Kyrosiris posted:

Users? Read? Surely you jest.

(No joke, I had someone call in about a regional outage once and, when I informed them that it was a known issue and was posted on our status page, stated "I'm an enterprise client, surely you don't expect me to read things like that?". I was in a permanent :psyduck: for the rest of the call.)

Users? No. These are other Support Analysts.

In the Support Center

Who don't bother to read their chat channels or bulletin board before Kramering into the chat with:

:kingsley: "OMG, this thing is DOWN!!!!11!!!!1!"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When I see some internal service outage, I just sit quiet for about 20 minutes.. let some other hot shot open the ticket or sound the alarm.

That or the person in charge of it has already noticed and fixed it.

If it lasts longer than that and I see no ticket then I'll start poking around.

But usually I get a 20 minute break. :v:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Kicking that interview's rear end just now really helped shake off some of the funk from yesterday :unsmith:

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Weedle posted:

Pissing me off: on Friday afternoon, my car was totaled in an accident caused by an uninsured driver while I was driving my son home from my parents’ house. This is relevant to my work because the woman who did it is apparently good friends with my new boss, who starts Monday.

Oh Jesus. What kind of position is she in? Does it have anything to do with your area? Also, how in the hell... :psyduck:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Luckily this person is friends with your boss, who will in turn no doubt use their pull to force her to pay for replacing the vehicle entirely and any other damages.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm impressed that you were able to write that typo-free, what with doubling over from laughter.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I've been wondering if he managed to keep a straight face whilst writing it.

Not sure I could have managed it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Xanax friends, cause and solution to all of life's problems

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ptier posted:

Oh Jesus. What kind of position is she in? Does it have anything to do with your area? Also, how in the hell... :psyduck:

Ok, so here’s the deal. The new hire is technically my boss’ boss—she oversees three departments, of which IT is one. The accident happened on Friday and I discovered on Monday morning that the other driver’s insurance policy had lapsed, so I was venting to my boss (the IT director) about the situation. I mentioned that the other driver was married to a defense attorney, so suing her would probably be an uphill battle, and my boss asked me what the attorney’s name was. I told her, and she informed me that the attorney’s wife, the driver who hit me, worked here for a short period of time before being fired for poor attendance. Wild, right? Get a load of this: my boss was waiting for a meeting with the director and she overheard him chatting to the new hire. The new hire mentioned that she has a “good friend” who used to work here—and it’s the same god damned loving woman who pulled out into the path of my loving car, scared the poo poo out of my loving kid, and then gave bogus insurance info to the loving police before skipping off into the ether. Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So what you're saying is you just got the ACTUAL contact details for a woman the police will be very interested in speaking to, and who you can probably sue for damages?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, that sounds like an insurance fraud case on top of everything else. Pretty drat dumb to give information that actually traces back to you along with fake insurance information.

E: also, talk to a lawyer about the whole thing. Married to them or not, lawyers aren’t magic. Might even be able to get lawyer’s fees in the judgement if they don’t settle out of court. And (completely not a lawyer) if it’s a state where debts are considered joint property, lawyers have a certain code of ethics that they have to follow or risk disbarment. If he’s legally liable for a judgement he might lose his license to practice if he doesn’t pay.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 11, 2019

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Technically not fake, but a lapsed policy. I do intend to take her to small claims court, but right now I'm focused on getting another car. I live in a town where you absolutely need one to get around, so that's my number one priority.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So what you're saying is you just got the ACTUAL contact details for a woman the police will be very interested in speaking to, and who you can probably sue for damages?

100% this. Congrats on your iron clad lawsuit winnings!

On another note, if anybody is interested: My foster daughters nephew had his first surgery to replace his eyelid (among many many other things, but they are starting with the eyelid) and he’s doing well! The swelling is already starting to go down and he’s able to breathe on his own!

He has two other surgeries for his eyelid spaced three weeks apart, so he will have an eye patch for quite a while. They are hoping to wake him up next week as well. :unsmith:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 11, 2019

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
It wasn't directed at me, but today Son of Owner told a colleague that he didn't want to hear 'not enough time' or 'haven't had a chance yet' again because there are 24 hours in the day.

E: I don't know that I have the patience to train this guy to be a boss.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

It wasn't directed at me, but today Son of Owner told a colleague that he didn't want to hear 'not enough time' or 'haven't had a chance yet' again because there are 24 hours in the day.

There are 4 hours a day for actual work, and two for dicking around. Not sure why he thinks there are 24 hours in a day?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

There are 4 hours a day for actual work, and two for dicking around. Not sure why he thinks there are 24 hours in a day?

I spent a solid 11 straight today bouncing from meeting to crisis to meeting.

On the bright side it went by quickly. On the downside, my baby started walking today, I hear.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

100% this. Congrats on your iron clad lawsuit winnings!

On another note, if anybody is interested: My foster daughters nephew had his first surgery to replace his eyelid (among many many other things, but they are starting with the eyelid) and he’s doing well! The swelling is already starting to go down and he’s able to breathe on his own!

He has two other surgeries for his eyelid spaced three weeks apart, so he will have an eye patch for quite a while. They are hoping to wake him up next week as well. :unsmith:

That's good to hear! Hope he pulls through with minimal issues and has a long happy life.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

That's good to hear! Hope he pulls through with minimal issues and has a long happy life.

I hope so as well. Is it sad that I’m the person that my foster daughters sister turned to when she needed help? I’m not even her foster parent! She didn’t even bother talking to her biological parents. In fact she straight up told them to stay the gently caress away from the hospital.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

Is it sad that I’m the person that my foster daughters sister turned to when she needed help?

Nah. It shows you're a reliable person who can be counted on in the case of a family emergency. And let's face it, blood or no, you sure are talking it up like they're family.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

Nah. It shows you're a reliable person who can be counted on in the case of a family emergency. And let's face it, blood or no, you sure are talking it up like they're family.

I consider my foster daughter family, so I guess her sister is family as well. I’m just trying to do what’s right in this world is all, and make it slightly less lovely. :shrug:

Edit* On the plus side, the GoFundMe has raised $425!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

On the bright side it went by quickly. On the downside, my baby started walking today, I hear.

This right here is poo poo that pisses me off. Sorry dude.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

ratbert90 posted:

Is it sad that I’m the person that my foster daughters sister turned to when she needed help? I’m not even her foster parent! She didn’t even bother talking to her biological parents. In fact she straight up told them to stay the gently caress away from the hospital.

Yes, it is sad that she does not have a biological family that she can trust and depend on.

But being able to turn to you and have your support makes up for it. You are a good person.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

ratbert90 posted:

I consider my foster daughter family, so I guess her sister is family as well. I’m just trying to do what’s right in this world is all, and make it slightly less lovely. :shrug:

All one can really do is attempt to leave the world less lovely than they found it, and any attempt to do so should be lauded. Keep it up man.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

ratbert90 posted:

POST THE LINK.

Or did I miss it somewhere?

If that is the case, REPOST THE LINK.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
But if the voluntary staff survey is annonamous why does it need my lan login to open it and how can a random person win a voucher on completion??

Yeah nah.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CollegeCop posted:

POST THE LINK.

Or did I miss it somewhere?

If that is the case, REPOST THE LINK.

Oh man, I’m sorry. I don’t expect anybody to donate but if you share it that would be great as well!

https://www.gofundme.com/linkonsrecovery

edit* I really really need to emphasize there is a trigger warning for that link.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 11, 2019

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Oh man, I’m sorry. I don’t expect anybody to donate but if you share it that would be great as well!

Not sure if posting links to GFMs is against the thread rules but I did quick donate though holy loving poo poo that last picture. Poor kid.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

captkirk posted:

Not sure if posting links to GFMs is against the thread rules but I did quick donate though holy loving poo poo that last picture. Poor kid.

Yeah, JFC :ohdear:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

captkirk posted:

That's why I didn't post it. Also, I am terrible at social media so any of the shares came from my direct family. I am going to keep the campaign updated as he gets better though. The one silver lining is that modern reconstructive surgery is amazing. :unsmith:

So to keep it on topic:
Not pissing me off: Goons being amazing and modern medicine.

poo poo pissing me off:
It's 80F today without a cloud in the sky and I have to work.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 11, 2019

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

BaronVonVaderham posted:

THERE'S LITERALLY NOTHING WE CAN DO AS DEVELOPERS HERE rear end in a top hat :bang:

There are at least two fairly easy things you can do.

First, you can just name the migration scripts consistently. 093.py instead of 093_some_irrelevant_bullshit.py. Then when the second group tries to merge 093.py they'll get a merge conflict and rename it.

Second, and more dramatically, you can require that the branch be up to date with master to be merge-able into master.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Yeah you're supposed to ask for mod approval but people here were asking, you didn't just post it. You're fine.

I sent in a small contribution. Good luck to the little guy.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Oh hey, I used to live in Grand Rapids. sent a few bucks, I hope for a good recovery.

captkirk posted:

oof, no kidding.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
You guys are awesome. :3:

If it's OK with the mods, I will gladly post updates as they come in. I don't want to derail the poo poo that pisses you off thread, as this will be something that will not piss us off. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

ratbert90 posted:

You guys are awesome. :3:

If it's OK with the mods, I will gladly post updates as they come in. I don't want to derail the poo poo that pisses you off thread, as this will be something that will not piss us off. :ohdear:

if you want to try to keep things on topic, the fact that people have to rely on the kindness of strangers to get medical care in this country is pissing me off.