Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

This Tuesday In Texas is actually a really fun show.
iirc it features bret hart doing his thing and getting an inexplicably good match out of Skinner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

what's the general opinion on Jay White? Not really familiar with his whole run in the past 3 years but after watching a bunch of Bullet Club retrospectives and his rise in the company it seems like NJPW has a big investment in the guy to have won the belt the way he did.

Future of pro wrestling.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

DLC Inc posted:

what's the general opinion on Jay White? Not really familiar with his whole run in the past 3 years but after watching a bunch of Bullet Club retrospectives and his rise in the company it seems like NJPW has a big investment in the guy to have won the belt the way he did.

Some people still seem to think he's not on the level necessary to be a main eventer in New Japan, but those people are either blind or willfully ignorant. Guy's great at what he does, even if he's not a prodigy like Ospreay or Okada. It took a few months for him to really figure out the "Switchblade" character, he seemed noticeably uncomfortable in the role at first, but by the time his feud with Juice a year ago and his bastard antics during G1 28 rolled around he was pretty well settled in I think. The way he wrestles you'd think he's got 20 years in the business at times because of how smart his matches and how good some of the little details can be. Most recent example I can think of is when he beat Tanahashi at BOSJ Finals he won with a roll-up, but while torquing Tana's recently surgically repaired arm (which he'd been targeting all match, altering a bunch of his signature spots to include hammerlocks and arm twists and stuff).

Lot of people think he won the title too early but I think it was a good move to establish him as a permanent presence in the main event, even with 0 defenses.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm extremely new to wrestling, I randomly turned on some NJPW while at a hotel during a trip a few months ago and instantly loved it, and was mad I didn't watch earlier. I don't like anything the WWE is doing, so I've stuck with watching NJPW and AEW. Are there any other organizations worth checking out (I know this is a very subjective question)? I see Impact on Twitch on Fridays and it seems fun, but I wasn't sure if there was anything else.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr E posted:

I'm extremely new to wrestling, I randomly turned on some NJPW while at a hotel during a trip a few months ago and instantly loved it, and was mad I didn't watch earlier. I don't like anything the WWE is doing, so I've stuck with watching NJPW and AEW. Are there any other organizations worth checking out (I know this is a very subjective question)? I see Impact on Twitch on Fridays and it seems fun, but I wasn't sure if there was anything else.

CMLL streams for free on youtube Mondays (Puebla), Tuesdays (Arena Mexico) and on the Marca Claro Facebook on Fridays (the important Arena Mexico show.) Watch the Friday shows at least they are the best weekly shows out there.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
MLW is pretty fun and easily available and free on Youtube.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Has there ever been a really good "mismatch" match? On the level of Rey Mysterio vs Khali in size difference. Something more than "Big guy squishes little guy" or "Little guy tricks big guy and wins instantly".

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Has there ever been a really good "mismatch" match? On the level of Rey Mysterio vs Khali in size difference. Something more than "Big guy squishes little guy" or "Little guy tricks big guy and wins instantly".

Big Show vs. Mayweather?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Pretty sure it was Jake Roberts. Snake and DDT combined was too much for a little boy to not think was the coolest.

Same for me, for the same reasons. And then he let a snake bite Macho Man and I didn't like him anymore.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm hard pressed to think of examples of matches approximating a Mysterio/Khali size difference, much less good ones. And nobody Khali's size can put on a good match anyway.

The actual best example is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QWr8TiWBSc

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Mr E posted:

impact is probably the next-most-accessible english-language show where guys work hard. mlw is on youtube but stinks. after that i guess i would recommend like pwg or revpro?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Mr E posted:

These days wherever you live probably has a local fed if you want to support nearby. The matches obviously won't be the same quality you see on TV but local shows can still be a lot of fun.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Once a month or so I go to a local lucha league when they make their way to Seattle. It's not good wrestling but it's good enough to be fun, and my non-wrestling fan friends will join me because they like the flips.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Spike Dudley squashing giants in ECW was fun.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Maybe not quite the same size difference but the David vs. Goliath stuff was played up in pretty much all of the non-Goldberg/not-original-suplex-city Cena squash Brock Lesnar 1v1 matches I remember liking since he came back to one degree or another:

Lesnar/Punk at Summerslam 2013
Lesnar/Styles at Survivor Series 2017
Lesnar/Bryan at Survivor Series 2018

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lesnar/Balor at RR ‘19 was real good too

Almost as if Lesnar’s real loving good when you give him cool poo poo to do

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
How's Kofi's title reign so far?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Kennel posted:

How's Kofi's title reign so far?

he has done well but he hasn't had too many quality opponents outside of bryan and owens I want to say.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
How were Owens and Bucks as a trios? Did they wrestle a lot together and did they have any signature spots?

And what is your "most replayed moment" or ä moment you find yourself watching when you get on the tube and are bored. For me its either the Austin stuns everyone/Jesus pop or Heymans shoot promo on Vince, with the infamoua "YOU STOLE FROM ME" bit

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

He's awesome and I bought his shirt when he was champion.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

TheCool69 posted:

And what is your "most replayed moment" or ä moment you find yourself watching when you get on the tube and are bored. For me its either the Austin stuns everyone/Jesus pop or Heymans shoot promo on Vince, with the infamoua "YOU STOLE FROM ME" bit

I'm alive! That's all.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Is MLW a bigger promotion than Impact now? They get more views on YouTube than Impact gets on Twitch/Pursuit.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

fatherofmustard posted:

Is MLW a bigger promotion than Impact now? They get more views on YouTube than Impact gets on Twitch/Pursuit.
What's the better of the two Denny's near your home?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

TheCool69 posted:

Jericho's debut promo against the Rock, Jericho's fake title win against HHH. Various Royal Rumble entrances with monster pops.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Austins music hitting at Backlash 2000

or Austins music hitting during Rock v Mankind when Mankind first won the title

amazing moments

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There was a solid year where I watched that Daniel Bryan Monster promo like three times a week.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Basically any video that has a huge pop, just to remind me how hot the late 90s were.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LividLiquid posted:

There was a solid year where I watched that Daniel Bryan Monster promo like three times a week.

I wish I could, but that song was terrible. :smith:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

TheCool69 posted:

How were Owens and Bucks as a trios? Did they wrestle a lot together and did they have any signature spots?

The Golden Lovers reunion, complete with a confetti shower :3:

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Cavauro posted:

I'm alive! That's all.

I must be responsible for at least 100 of the views on the youtube video of his surprise return

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Bryan kneeing HHH in the face at WM30.

Punk returning with Cult of Personality and making Cena look like a bitch.

HBK overselling Hogan in the most cartoonish ways possible.

The streak... Is over!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

That insane Kane and Paul Bearer gets a rewatch from me fairly often.

Ciclope unmasking to reveal Dean Malenko and the subsequent match against Jericho for the Cruiserweight Title.

I'm sure there are others but those two stick out immediately.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mr E posted:

Beyond wrestling has been doing weekly streams for 18 weeks leading up to their big summer show Americanrana

watch as a wrestling promotion takes on the most hated enemy of everyone:

tow trucks

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Shine posted:

Punk returning with Cult of Personality and making Cena look like a bitch.

The first pipe bomb promo, also. I don't hate you, John.

The first 3-4 weeks of that angle owned so hard and then....

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

That insane Kane and Paul Bearer gets a rewatch from me fairly often.

Ciclope unmasking to reveal Dean Malenko and the subsequent match against Jericho for the Cruiserweight Title.

I'm sure there are others but those two stick out immediately.

THAT.....THAT'S NOT CICLOPE!

*crowd loses their loving minds*

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Mr E posted:

IWTV.live is a worthy investment. Huge back catalog of stuff and usually at least 2-3 live streams each week from different promotions.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Night of a thousand Stings is super fun to watch and should be watched at least once a year.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Basically any video that has a huge pop, just to remind me how hot the late 90s were.

Same. But there was still energy even after the 90s.

Climb the ladder, kid! Make yourself famous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry8TpMbrA8k

These two and also his championship win against Trips and Edge. I watch them frequently.

Related: do you guys think Jeff could have been The Guy? Could he have been Cena-level or even beyond?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Edge & Christian posted:

Lesnar/Punk at Summerslam 2013

This match really was incredible, probably the last truly great match of Punk's WWE career? I recall he did some stuff with Bryan towards the end which was good but nothing quite on the level of that Lesnar match.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Night of a thousand Stings is super fun to watch and should be watched at least once a year.

Hell loving yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

NikkolasKing posted:

Related: do you guys think Jeff could have been The Guy? Could he have been Cena-level or even beyond?

Short answer: In the "You'll like who we tell you to like" sense, yes. He has ardent followers, and had serious momentum a couple of times... but it didn't work out for reasons. Jeff Hardy as "The Guy" would get old fast, but I think you could have done it.

Long answer: Not with any longevity.

He's too small for Vince.

He's too weird for Vince.

He wrestles one style, and has one match. It's not a fatal flaw in WWE, but it doesn't help. I've walked away from matches appreciating Jeff's willingness to die for his craft; I've never walked away thinking "Man, Jeff can really work." I'm not even sure he was the better Hardy, wrestling-wise.

His style is high risk, meaning he's always nursing injuries. Jeff might claim he's never had a broken bone, but there were times I've seen 70 year olds with more pep in their step. He's poo poo in the ring if he's not hitting his big spots.

Rey Misterio syndrome: Small(ish), high flyer as the champ? His matches are him getting ragdolled in WWE. Tends not to get you over.

Can't talk. At all. The crowd would still cheer him, but he is death on the mic. He can't do silent and imposing, so your other options are manager (Matt?) or never, ever let him talk. Not great for being the top guy.

Will always piss hot. During his prime, especially. If you have Wellness that isn't a joke, Jeff is always a risk.

Honestly, I'd have taken Prime RVD over Prime Jeff Hardy. Rob might embarass you, but weed is pretty harmless, and AFAIK, Rob has never wrestled high for WWE/ECW. (I mean, I wouldn't be shocked...) I don't think Jeff's problems get better with fame.

The problem with Jeff as well is that someone was always doing what he was doing, better.

Raw Charisma? Sure, but he's got nothing on Jericho, Rock or Punk, and those guys can talk.

High flyer? He's good, and willing to do crazy things, but Misterio exists. Ricochet makes Jeff look like amateur hour. (He does that.) I can only imagine Jeff as the guy, now with the current generation of flyers just being unimpressed, at best. Jeff was more about jumping off high places onto weird things, than dazzling aerials.

I wouldn't even say he was in the best tag team of his era. Edge and Christian, and the Dudleys were definitely better, and there's been a smattering of teams I'd take arguments for being equal, like TWGTT.