Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Tom describing Chris Cline's intestines sprayed all over a beach made me smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like how earnest their bloodlust is, it’s refreshing.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Majorian posted:

I haven't listened to this episode, but I imagine everyone listening to Citations Needed is already on the same page on why the bourgeois media ACTUALLY trains its sights so consistently on the left. There was still probably a fruitful discussion to have on the topic, but the hosts do talk about it a lot, and I'll bet they get tired and a bit demoralized from having to do so regularly.

its still good to have it pointed to, only because Citations Needed is the only lefty podcast I recommend to generally politically interested friends because (a) it isnt irony poisoned so you can understand what theyre saying without already knowing what theyre going to say and (b) when they do a topic they have insightful, non-obvious points to make while still pointing out the most obvious aspects of the topic, which is important because libs are completely blind to obvious stuff/cant extrapolate from things previously pointed out to them

i appreciate they go through that process while being careful not to make it tedious for people who are already onboard

basically the level of prep and editing on CN is head and shoulders above the rest of the leftpods, which is fine for poo poo like e1 and chapo but i wish other people who want to do Serious Takes casts would match it

but yeah the flipside of that is as the op pointed out that they often have something more interesting to say than their guest and just keep leading them to water

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i should probably give Don & Tom a try just because it's so incredibly within my wheelhouse as a mixed up insane communist shitlord

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

MizPiz posted:

Tbf, I do think "leftist drama is the only thing 'interesting' about leftism" does play a bit into the reasoning. Just look at how almost every thread in C-SPAM rings up some sort interpersonal fighting over petty bullshit. It's negligent to ignore that the media is explicitly hostile towards the left, but we do have some really entertaining conflicts.
we're a drat sight more united than the far right, and less hilarious about drama to boot

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

get that OUT of my face posted:

we're a drat sight more united than the far right, and less hilarious about drama to boot

The far-left might have it's poo poo together compared to the far-right

but the broad-spectrum right is a fuckton more united and capable of getting poo poo done than the broad-spectrum left.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Hey remember when Jimmy Dore was simultaneously saying Russia Dont Real and Seth Rich was murdered by the DNC? Lool

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

lol i finally stomached through this week's TAL and they gave a loving platform to bill kristol and sarah longwell, which was the only part of the episode that discussed sanders where she compared him to getting poisoned, and the reporter then went along with this and developed it into an analogy with the chernobyl series where bill and sarah (and the hypothetical republic primary challenger) were the people sacrificing themselves in the reactor to prevent the inevitable catastrophe of this sanders vs. trump outcome

a succ diamond

otoh totally telling on themselves that after spending a whole episode trying to hype these 1% polling empty suit losers the only person their republican ghouls were actually afraid of and fighting against was sanders

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Radio War Nerd is coming to a place not too far from me. i never listened to any episodes but i've heard good things

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
too much loving bakunin talk on the revolutions podcast, get to the good bits already

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mila kunis posted:

too much loving bakunin talk on the revolutions podcast, get to the good bits already

I dont mind it, for one thing it was kind of interesting hearing bakunin berating marx for electoralism and how they incorporated each others ideas.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Eagerly awaiting the trillbilly's aneurysm about the kentucky senate race.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/normal_now/status/1149005534479224833

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/DxGGEAUX/status/1149056422950268928?s=20

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Radio War Nerd is coming to a place not too far from me. i never listened to any episodes but i've heard good things

The Radio War Nerd backlog is expansive, so now would be the time to pay 10 bucks for a month and root through it.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

My biggest problems are that Matt has Patient and Felix has Ambitious

https://twitter.com/DxGGEAUX/status/1149060413805363200?s=19

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Giving Felix the drunkard trait is a low blow

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Giving Felix the drunkard trait is a low blow

NO YOU'RE THE REAL loving DRUG ADDICT

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/levonwei/status/1147501538212024320

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Isn't levon Wei a goon?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i thought he used to post in the chinese expat thread in gbs but idk if that was ever confirmed

i am not an expat so i cannot comment

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I know who it is but idk if he still posts there so I'll leave it at that

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

I dont mind it, for one thing it was kind of interesting hearing bakunin berating marx for electoralism and how they incorporated each others ideas.

i guess i just dont understand anarchism. throwing away the state and 'authoritarianism' without a few generations of dismantling current social relations is just going to lead to a power vaccum thats filled with private interests like oligarchs, warlords and militias. organized beats disorganized everytime and the state is the embodiment of organized power used against your enemies, because if you dont they absolutely will do the same to you

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mila kunis posted:

i guess i just dont understand anarchism. throwing away the state and 'authoritarianism' without a few generations of dismantling current social relations is just going to lead to a power vaccum thats filled with private interests like oligarchs, warlords and militias. organized beats disorganized everytime and the state is the embodiment of organized power used against your enemies, because if you dont they absolutely will do the same to you

I agree, Bakunin seems unwilling to consider the possibility of an army undoing all of anarchism's work and is overly idealistic in his views on human motivations.

That said it is interesting to hear his perspective on peasants as a revolutionary class, his idea that property confiscation is the real key to neutralizing the ruling class, and how to handle the religious question.

Hes more interesting as a foil to marx than as a thinker in his own right.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

quick someone find the screen shots and use the caption “BUCKLE UP - Matt Taibbi and Mark Ames wrote an autobiography on doing rape THREAD 1/a lot”

reply guys responding to everything taibbi tweets (beacuse ames can't be cancelled at this point) with the "this book is a work of non-fiction" page from the exile book.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dreylad posted:

reply guys responding to everything taibbi tweets (beacuse ames can't be cancelled at this point) with the "this book is a work of non-fiction" page from the exile book.

Ames insists that was inserted by the publisher over their objections, and Hell I believe it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dreylad posted:

the best bit about that is the same page lists a fictional person as an author

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Ames insists that was inserted by the publisher over their objections, and Hell I believe it.

it is pretty funny how many articles had to be amended once taibbi got a lawyer, but it sucks because I'm pretty sure the last go-round on the cancel train helped tank sales of I Can't Breathe, a good book

also the TARFU report which, while I didn't listen to regularly, did have the "Hitler or Tony Robins" segment which killed me

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
novarra fm did an episode on the internal politics of iran:

https://novaramedia.com/2019/07/05/revolution-and-its-discontents-politics-in-iran/

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

amber is self-described appalachia trash so that means she's probably scots-irish, right?

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

love to rehash a tired and false dualism, but use fictional podcasters as mouthpieces to seem smart and clever. especially over twitter, the platform for leftists

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The material conditions for a Jeffrey Epstein are a valid line of discussion anyway.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

amber is self-described appalachia trash so that means she's probably scots-irish, right?

she actually said what her ethnicity was on some early chapo episode (or maybe it was cum town (sorry) idk). i had never heard of that group before, and there didn't seem to be that many in america from the wikipedia page i read about it :shrug:

i know this happened, but it was like during the 2016 primaries or something so i don't remember the details. this post isn't funny or helpful, but maybe someone itt actually remembers what she said.

edit: also "appalachia trash" is a perfect example to demonstrate my earlier point. it's a category that's neither entirely ethnic and/or racial, nor is it purely economic.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

koopa

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Finicums Wake posted:

she actually said what her ethnicity was on some early chapo episode (or maybe it was cum town (sorry) idk). i had never heard of that group before, and there didn't seem to be that many in america from the wikipedia page i read about it :shrug:

i know this happened, but it was like during the 2016 primaries or something so i don't remember the details. this post isn't funny or helpful, but maybe someone itt actually remembers what she said.

edit: also "appalachia trash" is a perfect example to demonstrate my earlier point. it's a category that's neither entirely ethnic and/or racial, nor is it purely economic.

I remember someone saying she was Sami, I think? I have no idea if that was just people throwing out semi-obscure ethnic groups or not though

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i thought it was kazakh or kalmyk

anyway tarence from trillbillies was born in 1997

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

i say swears online posted:

anyway tarence from trillbillies was born in 1997

:catstare:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
for shame all of you who don't remember matt's thousand island stare moment when this was revealed

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

for shame all of you who don't remember matt's thousand island stare moment when this was revealed

Is that like a high-cholesterol midwestern variant of the thousand-yard stare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I didn't pay any attention at all to who the guest would be on the new premium Chapo, and almost choked with excitement when it was John Dolan.